Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Microsoft Makes DirectX 11.1 a Windows 8 Exclusive

24

Comments

  • hfztthfztt GlostrupPosts: 839Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Originally posted by hfztt

    As someone who has Windows 8 installed, I will say they will need gunpoint arguments to get people to switch.

    Its bad. Not even Vista bad. More like Win ME bad. Yeah really. THAT bad.

    Its not that I dont like what they are trying to do, I knda do. Its just that the products is so unfinished and bug ridden, that it is not even funny.

    You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I've ran win8 release preview excusively for months and it worked flawlessly, just as good as windows 7 and sometimes better. It definitely starts much faster than win7 sometimes feels instant. The ONLY thing throwing people off is the metro UI, which you don't need to use.

    Is there an incentive to switch from win7 to win8? Not unless you want a laptop/tablet combo or just a tablet. But if you were to switch, metro UI is the only thing you would notice being different, and like I said before, you don't have to use it.

    I DO know what i am talking about.

    * The standard metro apps actaully have a lot of bugs. Try using them.

    * I work a lot from home. At work my pc is Win 7 and I remote desktop to it. After the Win8 upgrade the remote desktop client (mstsc.exe) simply crashes after a few minutes every time I start it.

    * The idea of Metro start screen is a nice idea, it just have more usablity issues than use can shake a stick at currently. Especially or a normal non-touch PC. Example: If you want to start a random program whiloe on your desktop, you have to swtich to Metro, right click on blank area, press show all apps in the pop up. Wait for the programs app to load, then sidescroll to find your old programs menu items. Hell yeah, thats usablity gone wrong for you.

    * If you thought the old lower right corner pop up boxes annoyed you, the new purple larger square box that slide in from the right will make you jump out a window. And that one really gets funny if you open, say a media file, that has an app that COULOD play it. Then it informs you EVERY TIME you open it with a non metro app that there is a metro app that could play it. Does it have a "Go away and staty away" button? Nah...

    I do know what i am talking about. I have been a MS man since Win 95. And I tell you, Win 8 is full of good intentions, (so was Win ME mind you) it just does not cut it as a replacement for Win7. That said I am Sure that one a pure WinRT device, it will work nicely, once they sort out the bugs in the standard Metro apps. But as a replacement for Win7 on a non touch device? No. Just, no.

  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Fresno, CAPosts: 615Member
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Originally posted by hfztt

    As someone who has Windows 8 installed, I will say they will need gunpoint arguments to get people to switch.

    Its bad. Not even Vista bad. More like Win ME bad. Yeah really. THAT bad.

    Its not that I dont like what they are trying to do, I knda do. Its just that the products is so unfinished and bug ridden, that it is not even funny.

    You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I've ran win8 release preview excusively for months and it worked flawlessly, just as good as windows 7 and sometimes better. It definitely starts much faster than win7 sometimes feels instant. The ONLY thing throwing people off is the metro UI, which you don't need to use.

    Is there an incentive to switch from win7 to win8? Not unless you want a laptop/tablet combo or just a tablet. But if you were to switch, metro UI is the only thing you would notice being different, and like I said before, you don't have to use it.

    I DO know what i am talking about.

    * The standard metro apps actaully have a lot of bugs. Try using them.

    * I work a lot from home. At work my pc is Win 7 and I remote desktop to it. After the Win8 upgrade the remote desktop client (mstsc.exe) simply crashes after a few minutes every time I start it.

    * The idea of Metro start screen is a nice idea, it just have more usablity issues than use can shake a stick at currently. Especially or a normal non-touch PC. Example: If you want to start a random program whiloe on your desktop, you have to swtich to Metro, right click on blank area, press show all apps in the pop up. Wait for the programs app to load, then sidescroll to find your old programs menu items. Hell yeah, thats usablity gone wrong for you.

    * If you thought the old lower right corner pop up boxes annoyed you, the new purple larger square box that slide in from the right will make you jump out a window. And that one really gets funny if you open, say a media file, that has an app that COULOD play it. Then it informs you EVERY TIME you open it with a non metro app that there is a metro app that could play it. Does it have a "Go away and staty away" button? Nah...

    I do know what i am talking about. I have been a MS man since Win 95. And I tell you, Win 8 is full of good intentions, (so was Win ME mind you) it just does not cut it as a replacement for Win7. That said I am Sure that one a pure WinRT device, it will work nicely, once they sort out the bugs in the standard Metro apps. But as a replacement for Win7 on a non touch device? No. Just, no.

    Boot up.

    Take 1 second to click on "Desktop" image in Metro, goodbye Metro hello standard Windows desktop.

    Right click where the Start button would be normally ( you know, the lower left corner? ) and *BAMM!* there's the Start menu.

    It's not rocket science, I assure you.

    Just the average PC user making everything more difficult than need be.

    Oh, well. Best operating system yet and it only cost me $15 to buy it. So I'm happy even if you're not.

    EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi LONDONPosts: 661Member Uncommon

    MAC OSX / iOS will be the future of gaming!

    *raises fists to heaven*

     

    :P

  • fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,657Member Uncommon

    Windows 7 is the best windows in the existence of man kind. There is no way I am switching to 8. I will probably go for 9 which will probably have all the crap in 8 fixed.

    People still use XP? After using Windows 7 I just can't go back to that horrible Windows!

    Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,187Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Originally posted by hfztt

    As someone who has Windows 8 installed, I will say they will need gunpoint arguments to get people to switch.

    Its bad. Not even Vista bad. More like Win ME bad. Yeah really. THAT bad.

    Its not that I dont like what they are trying to do, I knda do. Its just that the products is so unfinished and bug ridden, that it is not even funny.

    You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I've ran win8 release preview excusively for months and it worked flawlessly, just as good as windows 7 and sometimes better. It definitely starts much faster than win7 sometimes feels instant. The ONLY thing throwing people off is the metro UI, which you don't need to use.

    Is there an incentive to switch from win7 to win8? Not unless you want a laptop/tablet combo or just a tablet. But if you were to switch, metro UI is the only thing you would notice being different, and like I said before, you don't have to use it.

    I DO know what i am talking about.

    * The standard metro apps actaully have a lot of bugs. Try using them.

    * I work a lot from home. At work my pc is Win 7 and I remote desktop to it. After the Win8 upgrade the remote desktop client (mstsc.exe) simply crashes after a few minutes every time I start it.

    * The idea of Metro start screen is a nice idea, it just have more usablity issues than use can shake a stick at currently. Especially or a normal non-touch PC. Example: If you want to start a random program whiloe on your desktop, you have to swtich to Metro, right click on blank area, press show all apps in the pop up. Wait for the programs app to load, then sidescroll to find your old programs menu items. Hell yeah, thats usablity gone wrong for you.

    * If you thought the old lower right corner pop up boxes annoyed you, the new purple larger square box that slide in from the right will make you jump out a window. And that one really gets funny if you open, say a media file, that has an app that COULOD play it. Then it informs you EVERY TIME you open it with a non metro app that there is a metro app that could play it. Does it have a "Go away and staty away" button? Nah...

    I do know what i am talking about. I have been a MS man since Win 95. And I tell you, Win 8 is full of good intentions, (so was Win ME mind you) it just does not cut it as a replacement for Win7. That said I am Sure that one a pure WinRT device, it will work nicely, once they sort out the bugs in the standard Metro apps. But as a replacement for Win7 on a non touch device? No. Just, no.

    There are a couple tips for interacting and starting programs I would recommend.

    1. The obvious is to pin the apps you use most to your start menu and/or task bar.

    2. If you want to quickly access the start menu from the desktop hit the windows key.

    3. If you want to quickly start an app that isn't pinned: Hit the Windows key and start typing.  It works just like start / search in Win7.  If your app is the first on your search list you can hit enter.  If it's not then you will have to click on it or use your arrow keys to navigate.

    4. If you're in the start menu (or search) and want to navigate back to the desktop you can simply hit your Windows key again.  The caveat here is that you must have the desktop open for the Win Hotkey back to the desktop to work.  When I first get into Windows I usually start my browser or Outlook and that takes me to the desktop and keeps it open.

    5. There are a ton of ways to do things in Win8.  It's actually very flexible.  For example, I VPN and RDP a lot to a lot of different locations.  I can use the Win8 flyout to access my vpn conns, or I can create a shortcut to my PBK (remote access phonebook file) file in my user settings, or I can create a Windows shortcut that calls rasphone.exe via command line with the vpn name.  I can store those shortcuts in a place where I can pin them to my start menu or taskbar.  If you have a lot you can put them in a folder and add that folder as a custom toolbar to your taskbar.

  • hfztthfztt GlostrupPosts: 839Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

    There are a couple tips for interacting and starting programs I would recommend.

    1. The obvious is to pin the apps you use most to your start menu and/or task bar.

    2. If you want to quickly access the start menu from the desktop hit the windows key.

    3. If you want to quickly start an app that isn't pinned: Hit the Windows key and start typing.  It works just like start / search in Win7.  If your app is the first on your search list you can hit enter.  If it's not then you will have to click on it or use your arrow keys to navigate

    4. If you're in the start menu (or search) and want to navigate back to the desktop you can simply hit your Windows key again.  The caveat here is that you must have the desktop open for the Win Hotkey back to the desktop to work.  When I first get into Windows I usually start my browser or Outlook and that takes me to the desktop and keeps it open.

    5. There are a ton of ways to do things in Win8.  It's actually very flexible.  For example, I VPN and RDP a lot to a lot of different locations.  I can use the Win8 flyout to access my vpn conns, or I can create a shortcut to my PBK (remote access phonebook file) file in my user settings, or I can create a Windows shortcut that calls rasphone.exe via command line with the vpn name.  I can store those shortcuts in a place where I can pin them to my start menu or taskbar.  If you have a lot you can put them in a folder and add that folder as a custom toolbar to your taskbar.

    Did you read my message?

    Its not that the INTENTIONS in Win 8 are bad. I know there is a lot of stuff you can do in it. But like Vista and ME the actual IMPLEMENTATION is flawed and bug ridden.

  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by lizardbones

    Ok, let your paranoia run wild about Microsoft's plan to control the gaming market.

    http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/12/3634852/microsoft-directx-11-1-windows-8

    What does this mean in the long term? Any games that rely on DirectX 11.1 will only run under Windows 8. I'm not sure how long that will take...I'm still running Windows XP so I expect it'll take awhile.

     You're only hurting yourself as a gamer by not using Windows 7 and sticking with WinXP... Get with the times brah!

    image

  • hfztthfztt GlostrupPosts: 839Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

    4. If you're in the start menu (or search) and want to navigate back to the desktop you can simply hit your Windows key again.  The caveat here is that you must have the desktop open for the Win Hotkey back to the desktop to work.  When I first get into Windows I usually start my browser or Outlook and that takes me to the desktop and keeps it open.

    Actually hitting the Win key takes you back to the previous App if you are on the Metro menu or back to the Metro menu if you are in an app. The desktop is considered a single app in this context. So provided you dont use any metro apps you are right.

  • bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk manchesterPosts: 112Member Uncommon
    I'm very happy with windows 7, it works well without issues, I dont see a point to Windows 8, just seems like another vista to me. Maybe the next OS may tempt me.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by bigcheeseuk
    I'm very happy with windows 7, it works well without issues, I dont see a point to Windows 8, just seems like another vista to me. Maybe the next OS may tempt me.

     I find the Windows 8 is better suited for handhelds...

    image

  • skydiver12skydiver12 burgundPosts: 432Member

    MMOs are still DX9 based, and even upcoming AAA releases are DX9 based (TESO).
    We don't even have true Dx10 less even DX11 mmos and just few support those modes additionaly to DX9.

    DX11.1 is a meaningless gesture and in contrary to DX10 launch all Microsoft Games are console exclusive now (HALO franchise). (anyone remembers the horrid Halo2 PC on Vista version? urgh).

    When Vista launched some important games had DX10, Lost planet, crysis etc.
    There was also a reason to upgrade from XP and namingly x64 for over 4GB Ram (Windows XP x64 is horrid - dvice driver are scare)


    Now anyone know's an DX11.1 game to play today or in 6 months?

    The fundamental design flaw of W8 isn't that it tries to let you interact with your PC differently but it tries an "single application at a time" approach, which goes against the very design idea of WINDOWS itself (You know, that what made windows - WINDOWS!) Sure you have 20 apps running in the background and can switch, but people want their browser window next to their skype etc. The most sore point is this design change didn't happen because god knows why but just because tablets etc can't run to much at once either by hardware limitations or power consumption going to skyrocket. And who want's a 20 minute portable tablet :)

    In short they want to chain the PC down to a tablets capability to reach the "unified" handling accross platforms. That's not gonna work out.

  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,187Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

    4. If you're in the start menu (or search) and want to navigate back to the desktop you can simply hit your Windows key again.  The caveat here is that you must have the desktop open for the Win Hotkey back to the desktop to work.  When I first get into Windows I usually start my browser or Outlook and that takes me to the desktop and keeps it open.

    Actually hitting the Win key takes you back to the previous App if you are on the Metro menu or back to the Metro menu if you are in an app. The desktop is considered a single app in this context. So provided you dont use any metro apps you are right.

    Yes, I should have been clear about that.  If you're in a modern app be sure to alt+F4 out of the app back to your previous window.  You can also use alt+tab to move around between apps or get directly back to the desktop from either the start menu or a metro app.

    The new ribbon style explorer window is taking me the longest to get used to.

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,166Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by lizardbones

    Ok, let your paranoia run wild about Microsoft's plan to control the gaming market.

    http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/12/3634852/microsoft-directx-11-1-windows-8

    What does this mean in the long term? Any games that rely on DirectX 11.1 will only run under Windows 8. I'm not sure how long that will take...I'm still running Windows XP so I expect it'll take awhile.

    'what does this mean in the long term?'

     

    Desktop users still won't buy Windows 8, regardless Microsoft's efforts and Windows 8 will find a nice place in history next to Windows Vista.

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • alakramalakram malagaPosts: 2,223Member Uncommon

    No sane developer is going to make games for DX11.1 if it's a Win 8 exlusive. It's like a scare tale for kids: "Buy Win 8 or you can't play the new games..."

    My Win 7 with DX11 runs fine, you can keep your Win 8 , thanks.

    -=AlaKraM=-
    Don't fight against poverty, fight against greed.
    My Lord of the Rings Gallery

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,166Member Uncommon

    Windows 8 runs like a charm on tablets, it's meant for those machines.

    but on a traditional desktop? meeh.

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Fresno, CAPosts: 615Member
    Originally posted by skydiver12

     

    The fundamental design flaw of W8 isn't that it tries to let you interact with your PC differently but it tries an "single application at a time" approach, which goes against the very design idea of WINDOWS itself (You know, that what made windows - WINDOWS!) Sure you have 20 apps running in the background and can switch, but people want their browser window next to their skype etc. The most sore point is this design change didn't happen because god knows why but just because tablets etc can't run to much at once either by hardware limitations or power consumption going to skyrocket. And who want's a 20 minute portable tablet :)

    In short they want to chain the PC down to a tablets capability to reach the "unified" handling accross platforms. That's not gonna work out.

     

    Where are you getting this drivel? Windows 8 still runs multiple programs side by side in their own windows just like Windows 3.1 through Windows 7.

    Is the average PC user even dumber than I thought? Can it be that they simply cannot manage to use 1 click to get to the traditional desktop and not even have to look at the Metro interface or even the "apps" again?

    Or is it even more likely that most expressing their "knowledge" of Windows 8 on PC have in fact never even tried Windows 8 and instead have merely seen the Metro interface and decided they can boldly proclaim "It's made the PC work like a tablet!" out of sheer uneducated ignorance?

    EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

  • MaggonMaggon CopenhagenPosts: 305Member Uncommon
    Even if 11.1 is Win 8 only i'd never change from W7 to W8 - Never liked the layout - meh.. its just stupid really.
  • skydiver12skydiver12 burgundPosts: 432Member


    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

    Originally posted by skydiver12   The fundamental design flaw of W8 isn't that it tries to let you interact with your PC differently but it tries an "single application at a time" approach, which goes against the very design idea of WINDOWS itself (You know, that what made windows - WINDOWS!) Sure you have 20 apps running in the background and can switch, but people want their browser window next to their skype etc. The most sore point is this design change didn't happen because god knows why but just because tablets etc can't run to much at once either by hardware limitations or power consumption going to skyrocket. And who want's a 20 minute portable tablet :) In short they want to chain the PC down to a tablets capability to reach the "unified" handling accross platforms. That's not gonna work out.  
    Where are you getting this drivel? Windows 8 still runs multiple programs side by side in their own windows just like Windows 3.1 through Windows 7.

    Is the average PC user even dumber than I thought? Can it be that they simply cannot manage to use 1 click to get to the traditional desktop and not even have to look at the Metro interface or even the "apps" again?

    Or is it even more likely that most expressing their "knowledge" of Windows 8 on PC have in fact never even tried Windows 8 and instead have merely seen the Metro interface and decided they can boldly proclaim "It's made the PC work like a tablet!" out of sheer uneducated ignorance?


    Is the average PC user even dumber than I thought? Can it be that they can't grasp the difference between a concept>>implementation and a workaround? Can't they grasp the difference between a design and an old compatiblity leftover?

    Or is it even more likely that expressing their "knowledge" of Windoes 8 on PC have in fact never tried Windows 8 and instead have merely seen the traditional desktop and dedicded they can boldly proclaim "it's still working like windows7!" out of sheer uneducated ignorance?


    Here take a lesson from me, try to run multiple screen application including full screen application on Windows 8. Then choose the monitor you want the fullscreen to apply to for watching multiple thin....OH WAIT! That's where your workaround fails and windows 8 true single screen metro design kicks in.

    And applications running on the metro interface are exactly designed like i said. And that design is the opposite of windows's philosophy. Your compatibility leftover is not going to help you with new metro "app" only applications and multiple screen setups.

    But hey, don't let me ruin your day because you need to keep the delusion up to justify your money spend on W8.


  • kuuujokuuujo AwesomePosts: 10Member
    But most of you were already forced into having windows 98, or xp because of games compatibility, how is that different from what is happening now with windows 8? :D
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Because win 8 has two uis the desktop and one with an app store
    Win 9 will be just app store.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Also there is no reason 11.1 couldn't work on win 7

    Win 8 is just win 7 (the desktop) and win 9 beta (the metro interface) bashed together with hammers and duct tape.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member


    Originally posted by skydiver12
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by skydiver12   The fundamental design flaw of W8 isn't that it tries to let you interact with your PC differently but it tries an "single application at a time" approach, which goes against the very design idea of WINDOWS itself (You know, that what made windows - WINDOWS!) Sure you have 20 apps running in the background and can switch, but people want their browser window next to their skype etc. The most sore point is this design change didn't happen because god knows why but just because tablets etc can't run to much at once either by hardware limitations or power consumption going to skyrocket. And who want's a 20 minute portable tablet :) In short they want to chain the PC down to a tablets capability to reach the "unified" handling accross platforms. That's not gonna work out.  
    Where are you getting this drivel? Windows 8 still runs multiple programs side by side in their own windows just like Windows 3.1 through Windows 7.

    Is the average PC user even dumber than I thought? Can it be that they simply cannot manage to use 1 click to get to the traditional desktop and not even have to look at the Metro interface or even the "apps" again?

    Or is it even more likely that most expressing their "knowledge" of Windows 8 on PC have in fact never even tried Windows 8 and instead have merely seen the Metro interface and decided they can boldly proclaim "It's made the PC work like a tablet!" out of sheer uneducated ignorance?


    Is the average PC user even dumber than I thought? Can it be that they can't grasp the difference between a concept>>implementation and a workaround? Can't they grasp the difference between a design and an old compatiblity leftover?

    Or is it even more likely that expressing their "knowledge" of Windoes 8 on PC have in fact never tried Windows 8 and instead have merely seen the traditional desktop and dedicded they can boldly proclaim "it's still working like windows7!" out of sheer uneducated ignorance?


    Here take a lesson from me, try to run multiple screen application including full screen application on Windows 8. Then choose the monitor you want the fullscreen to apply to for watching multiple thin....OH WAIT! That's where your workaround fails and windows 8 true single screen metro design kicks in.

    And applications running on the metro interface are exactly designed like i said. And that design is the opposite of windows's philosophy. Your compatibility leftover is not going to help you with new metro "app" only applications and multiple screen setups.

    But hey, don't let me ruin your day because you need to keep the delusion up to justify your money spend on W8.




    The developers have to choose the Metro interface for it to apply to their application. There are two application development paths you can take. One is Metro, which can be sold through Microsoft's store and which can run under Windows RT and is geared towards tablet users...one screen at a time. The other is the normal, "legacy" method where you have Windows that are designed however the programmer wants them to run. You can have full screen applications or multiple screens at a time.

    Microsoft doesn't determine the application interface, the developer does.

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon
    It really doesn't matter. 11.1 will be just like 10.1, it'll take an age for games to start using it and even then only a handful will. dx11.1 games will still run on dx11 in win7 so there's no need for folks to get their knickers in a twist.
  • skydiver12skydiver12 burgundPosts: 432Member


    Originally posted by lizardbones

    Originally posted by skydiver12

    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

    Originally posted by skydiver12   The fundamental design flaw of W8 isn't that it tries to let you interact with your PC differently but it tries an "single application at a time" approach, which goes against the very design idea of WINDOWS itself (You know, that what made windows - WINDOWS!) Sure you have 20 apps running in the background and can switch, but people want their browser window next to their skype etc. The most sore point is this design change didn't happen because god knows why but just because tablets etc can't run to much at once either by hardware limitations or power consumption going to skyrocket. And who want's a 20 minute portable tablet :) In short they want to chain the PC down to a tablets capability to reach the "unified" handling accross platforms. That's not gonna work out.  
    Where are you getting this drivel? Windows 8 still runs multiple programs side by side in their own windows just like Windows 3.1 through Windows 7.

    Is the average PC user even dumber than I thought? Can it be that they simply cannot manage to use 1 click to get to the traditional desktop and not even have to look at the Metro interface or even the "apps" again?

    Or is it even more likely that most expressing their "knowledge" of Windows 8 on PC have in fact never even tried Windows 8 and instead have merely seen the Metro interface and decided they can boldly proclaim "It's made the PC work like a tablet!" out of sheer uneducated ignorance?


    Is the average PC user even dumber than I thought? Can it be that they can't grasp the difference between a concept>>implementation and a workaround? Can't they grasp the difference between a design and an old compatiblity leftover?

    Or is it even more likely that expressing their "knowledge" of Windoes 8 on PC have in fact never tried Windows 8 and instead have merely seen the traditional desktop and dedicded they can boldly proclaim "it's still working like windows7!" out of sheer uneducated ignorance?


    Here take a lesson from me, try to run multiple screen application including full screen application on Windows 8. Then choose the monitor you want the fullscreen to apply to for watching multiple thin....OH WAIT! That's where your workaround fails and windows 8 true single screen metro design kicks in.

    And applications running on the metro interface are exactly designed like i said. And that design is the opposite of windows's philosophy. Your compatibility leftover is not going to help you with new metro "app" only applications and multiple screen setups.

    But hey, don't let me ruin your day because you need to keep the delusion up to justify your money spend on W8.



    The developers have to choose the Metro interface for it to apply to their application. There are two application development paths you can take. One is Metro, which can be sold through Microsoft's store and which can run under Windows RT and is geared towards tablet users...one screen at a time. The other is the normal, "legacy" method where you have Windows that are designed however the programmer wants them to run. You can have full screen applications or multiple screens at a time.

    Microsoft doesn't determine the application interface, the developer does.

    I did merely stated what metro design is about. What developers choose to design doesn't change it. Neither does running your old application on the Desktop.

    And i still disagree about multiple screens.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/21/enhancing-windows-8-for-multiple-monitors.aspx

    Multiple desktop got better and finally multiple wallpapers., however even the design sheet clearly shows, Metro only runs on one of these monitors! The Metro environment is fundamentally single-screen. All Metro-style applications, including the Start screen itself (though it is not quite an application), have to reside on the same screen. It doesn't matter so much which screen, and you can freely switch, but it has to be the same screen. If you move the Start screen, by invoking it on a different monitor, then every Metro-style application will be moved alongside.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Lizard:

    For now devs have a choice

    If enough suckas buy win 8, they won't have the choice with win 9

    Yep that's right gamers buying win8 are suckas, well done for helping Microsoft bend you over like xbox gamers
Sign In or Register to comment.