Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

for 5+ years ArenaNet lied to us.....

Comments

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Mavek

I think they did this in order to add some gear progression to the pve side of things without really harming the pvp.  I really doubt that the changes made the new gear will be extremely potent.  Yes it does go against their philosophy from before but they realized people like the carrot.  

What this does is allow for pve content to be more challenging while keeping pvp on a fairly equal footing (im assuming this because it seems that the special attunment or whatever it is is only needed for the dungeon to survive beyond a certain point). It seems to me to be like resistance gear in WoW except you resist the NPC's and it has a fairly minimal efect against other players (ie minimal stat boosting).

This exactly. I couldn't care less for gear if it doesn't affect the WvW in a bad way. It surely won't be a WoW style gear treadmill where you absolutely need the best gear to be able to perform in PvP.

People are really funny, HO NOES gw2 doesn't have any progression whatsoever, what a boring game... They add  some kind of gear progression, HO NOES gw2 is going to have gear progression, what  a stupid idea, anet is bad... If only most people would wake up and STOP BUYING GAMES THAT AREN'T MADE FOR THEM. So many idiots on this planet, its pathetic.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

I'mma call BS on that one. If this were the case that thread on the official forums would't have seen this kinda momentum in a single day. There is more GW1 population in this game thatn WOW population and the GW1 players came from a game with horizonal gear progression. 

You have no way of knowing that. You may have anecdotal evidence, but then again I know noone who ever even played GW1, yet know about half dozen who switched from WoW -> GW2 (and back again).

Pointless argument, but I find it FAR, FAR more likely that people flocked to GW2 because it's free; not because GW1 had horizontal progression (and GW2 promised the same).

In fact, this expanation so very plausible it's the only one making sense considering the recent changes to the game.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

It's called a business for a reason.  Profit is the ulitmate goal no matter how you try and spin it.  If the original idea proved to not meet the profit expectation you would be a financial idiot not to adapt.  While I can certainly sympathize with those who somehow thought offering an MMO for for nothing more than the box price was going to work the fact remains those that stick to those morals ultimately fail in this industry.

People "sub" or spend more money in a CS in this market specifically because it seperates them from the rest of the pack.  It's the fundamental difference between MMORPG's and just about every other online game (although the others seem to be catching on REAL quick).

Regardless of the state of economy gaming has and will most likely remain one of the cheapest hobbies available (monetarily speaking).  This is one of the main driving factors behind pricing.  Outside of my fellow PC enthusiasts the average gamer spends around $2-3 a day on this "hobby" (this includes the overall cost of the system, peripherals and games).  FAR less than the majority of hobbies available to the "normal" person.  I'm sure some of those reading this post have or are photography hobbiests, be honest with yourselfs and us and think about how much per year you spend!

The reality is most gamers have been spoiled and feel we somehow deserve a free ride to our favorite past time while it's perfectly acceptable others should have to pay for theirs.  Talk about hypocritical.

Just to clarify, this is not directed at any one person/gamer but rather the industry as a whole and those who are looking at us from glass houses (whether from the inside or out).

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    They didn't lie it is different... not very different at all but a little different... mildly different... a tiny bit different.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Awwwww the end of the world.... Seems it wasnt a lie at the end...
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by muffins89
    are you mad at all?  for 5 years Anet said they were different.    and millions of people fell for it.   wether or not you like the game,  do you think Anet decieved you? 

Nope.

No one on this board has the right to feel otherwise.  I've been saying it was a WOW clone from the start.  

Originally posted by Mothanos

I get zero problems that pve player at heart get some gear progresion, but if that means i am forced to play pve it becomes a totaly diffrent story.
    i have 600 hours in WvW, maybe 50 in PvE including leveling.
    If that means my face is going to get owned by pve players its a /uninstall

Give WvW players a karma / Badges set on par with that set and i dont mind it.
    But no word spoken about something likt that, and that worries me...alot.

You shouldn't have to worry at all. There's like a +5 to certain stats with the new gear, nothing game breaking. Its only that they replace the upgrade slot with something new, Infusions, that will be needed to go farther in the new dungeon. The upgrade components aren't gone, they are just built into Ascended items, with a negligible boost in stats. I'm also pretty sure that the Infusions won't give you any stats whatsoever, its only there to mitigate the new condition called Agony. So don't worry, you still won't have to play the PvE to stay competitive in WvW.

Originally posted by thinktank001
    are you mad at all?  for 5 years Anet said they were different.    and millions of people fell for it.   wether or not you like the game,  do you think Anet decieved you? 

Nope.

No one on this board has the right to feel otherwise.  I've been saying it was a WOW clone from the start.  

Yeah I know right, Dota 2 is another WoW clone with a cash shop.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    While I'm not sure I'd say lied to, but decieving, for sure. 
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    They didn't expected people to gear so fast and to finish every thing in a month. They felt obligated to give players more to look for and to keep them playing untill they add more new content. Is it so hard to understand that? This is all this new gear is about... Anet buying time!
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Nope.  I think the game is different.  And I'm enjoying the shit out of it.

I have yet to find Anet using a deceptive practice at all.  I know some people like to think they do that, but I personally think they have an agenda...

As for the gear thing....who would have thought there would be so many no-life-having gamers that spend as much time playing the game as they do working a job?  Apparently even a gaming company didn't realize there were so many of them out there.  I still find it hard to believe, but apparently that's the case.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

why would i be mad ?

ive over 400 hours  in the game  im still finding things to do   and i play at least 2-3 hours a day

a mmo as good if not better than any other  AAA mmo on the market  with no sub fee

a completly different combat system to what ive seen before

a new questing system

and grouping happens all the time  in random points around world

i think the only mad ones are the people who didnt buy it  or who still pay to play a mmo

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I dont see how ANET lied to us.

But of course ANET is a different company under Mike O´Brien than it was under Jeff Strain. If you want a company following Strains visions to 100% you should look un his new company, Undead labs, instead.

Companies do change, and at times they do need to change. Right now is my exoctic gear (1-3 hours per piece to get) the best stats in the game. How the ascended gear will work is still something we will wait to see the impact off but I am not that worried.

We seen plenty of whine on ANET before, people saying that they cant possibly make as many free updates as P2P games and so far have ANET proven those people wrong. Why not wait a few weeks and see the actual impact this time before assuming the worst?

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

You fell for it, many didn't.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    @op nope im not really mad sure the game is basically like all the other themeparks out there but i kind of knew that would be the case as soon as they started talking about it and as soon as i got into beta.. sure i wish i didnt buy the game as i only got a weeks worth of play out of it before i got totally bored... but i have brought worse games in the past lol..

these are 2 quotes from Arenanet devs just over 3 months ago. 

"Here's what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can't realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don't make grindy games -- we leave the grind to other MMOs."
    -Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”
    – Colin Johanson

it's so mind numbingly contradictory.  what could have gone worng to make them change there stance so quickly?

I thought GW2 was different.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

To the guy saying its minor stats diffrence only, imagen a full group off WvW players versus a full group of the new gear that comes out.
    same skill / same classes / who would win ?
    1 vs 1 it may not mean the end of the world, but when fully pve groups enter the scene they can and will have a advantage, and that is not accepteble.

WvW gear should be the best to use in a WvW setting, not the other way around.
    Dungeon gear should be best in a PvE setting, this balance is changing, even if it is a slight increase in stats.
    PvP is a numbers game, iam willing to bet alot that all pvp's theorycraft on what is best to use to own face.

Again i have no problems pve players get their progresion so many wanted, but you cannot let WvW players run and farm dungeons to stay on equal foot.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

GW2 is the same it has always been, they just added endgame for those that want it, don't be selfish. You already got Tyria to explore, Personal Story, Dynamic Events, Puzzles, WvWvW, sPvP.

The problem with ArenaNet is they don't know what GW2 is. Anyone who thinks they were not grinding before this latest twist is delusional and had blinkers on.

Now they have introduced gear progression it just turns GW2 into joke of an MMO. Fact is there are other MMOs that do gear progression better and have more MMO features and more balanced dungeons built around the trinity.

GW2 is a graveyard rez zerg fest and if people really want gear progression they can play RIFT, WOW, LOTRO, EQ2, Vanguard,  Tera, TSW, SWTOR and many more MMOs that actually do it way better than GW2.

As for PVP well you have PS2 which is a true PVP game that has no PVE and you can actually see the name of the person you are fighting. On top of that it's not a meaningless carebear system that really is just a zerg and nothing else, again PS2 does it better.

So what is left, ah i know SKINS LOL.

You might as well play rift which has a robust skill sytem and all the MMO features you would expect from a fully blown gear progression MMO.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

To the guy saying its minor stats diffrence only, imagen a full group off WvW players versus a full group of the new gear that comes out.
    1 vs 1 it may not mean the end of the world, but when fully pve groups enter the scene they can and will have a advantage, and that is not accepteble.

Dungeon gear should be best in a PvE setting, this balance is changing, even if it is a slight increase in stats.
    PvP is a numbers game, iam willing to bet alot that all pvp's theorycraft on what is best to use to own face.

Again i have no problems pve players get their progresion so many wanted, but you cannot let WvW players run and farm dungeons to stay on equal foot.

I don't know since when 8% increase in stats is just a 'minor'. Even when Anet stated it is just the beginning and more stat increase is coming in next 3 months or so. I don't expect them to give 20% or more boost right out of the bat. They are trying to ease people into new design slowly.

One has to be really naive not to see that vertical progression is the new direction and not going anywhere now.

Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Who have said that Ascended gear will be useable in WvWvW, that it won't scale etc? not that i give a fuck, because the stat difference is so small a proffesional wouldn't even care, but sure whine like the noob you are.

People like you make rest of us GW2 fans look like imbecels and jerks. Please stop posting if you are just going to hurl insults at people.

I am glad there is a report function. Maybe mod will make you disappear.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

I do have some fundamental issues with the 'end-game' in GW2 - but find all this wailing and gnashing of teeth on both sides of this particular arguement to be ridiculous.

'Grinding' does NOT mean ANY effort required to get gear.

A 'Gear-Treadmill' is NOT the same as a 4% boost in stats for items you don't even know are hard to get!?

Feelings of 'betrayal' and threats to 'leave the game', or calling ANet 'liars' et al are the hyperbole of those screaming "me, me!" to attract attention.

Otherwise why post it here?

The almost insignificant gear progression they are introducing tries to tread the fine line between those endlessly moaning about there no progression and those being precious and vastly over-sensitive about grinding.

YOU lot make a noise and rattle your sabres at each other and ANet try to accomodate you. The noise then just escalates - "it's not enough!"..... "it's too much!"....

Quit complaining about it online and just cancel your accounts instead of trying to convince those of us with at least an ounce of logic that the sky is going to fall down.

That would at least be putting your money where your online mouths are!

I for one will not be playing long term for other reasons - reasons far more logical it seems to me than this particular tempest in a teacup.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

I don't know since when 8% increase in stats is just a 'minor'. Even when Anet stated it is just the beginning and more stat increase is coming in next 3 months or so. I don't expect them to give 20% or more boost right out of the bat. They are trying to ease people into new design slowly.

One has to be really naive not to see that vertical progression is the new direction and not going anywhere now.

Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Who have said that Ascended gear will be useable in WvWvW, that it won't scale etc? not that i give a fuck, because the stat difference is so small a proffesional wouldn't even care, but sure whine like the noob you are.

People like you make rest of us GW2 fans look like imbecels and jerks. Please stop posting if you are just going to hurl insults at people.

I am glad there is a report function. Maybe mod will make you disappear.

How is the word "noob" an insult if he is a noob?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

As far as I am concerned, ANet is just being a responsive company and switching to meet the markets demands. Some people like not having to grind, but I think what is proposed is a happy medium in that you can get well equipped pretty easily, but you still have progression.

It seems the majority of the players want progression, judging by the constant 'Wah theres nothing to do at 80' threads on here. ANet move to fix it and they get whinging from the other end of the spectrum. They really cant win.  

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

I do have some fundamental issues with the 'end-game' in GW2 - but find all this wailing and gnashing of teeth on both sides of this particular arguement to be ridiculous.

A 'Gear-Treadmill' is NOT the same as a 4% boost in stats for items you don't even know are hard to get!?

Feelings of 'betrayal' and threats to 'leave the game', or calling ANet 'liars' et al are the hyperbole of those screaming 'me, me!' to attract attention.

The almost insignificant gear progression they are introducing tries to tread the fine line between those moaning about no progression and those moaning about grinding.

YOU lot make a noise and rattle your sabres at each other and ANet try to accomodate you. The noise then just escalates - "it's not enough!"..... "it's too much!"....

Quit complaining about it online and just cancel your accounts instead of trying to convince those of us with at least an ounce of logic that the sky is going to fall down.

I for one will not be playing long term for other reasons - reasons far more logical it seems to me than this particular tempest in a teacup.

I am actually happy for gear progression but i wouldn't go as far as saying that gear progresion is insignificant. Right now it is 8% and it just for starters. Once rest of the gear peices are in we will know how insignificant it really is.

But you have to understand why these people are angry. They supported the idea and vision of Anet that exotics will be the cap for grind as far as stats are concerned and only thing that will differentiate them from one another is appearance. That is what made GW2 unique for them. An MMO which caps stats grind for good.

I think it is very immature of you to just label them as angry teems and shrug it off. I don't want same things as they  do but i understand their sentiment. 

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Feelings of 'betrayal' and threats to 'leave the game', or calling ANet 'liars' et al are the hyperbole of those screaming 'me, me!' to attract attention.

The almost insignificant gear progression they are introducing tries to tread the fine line between those moaning about no progression and those moaning about grinding.

I am actually happy for gear progression but i wouldn't go as far as saying that gear progresion is insignificant. Right now it is 8% and it just for starters. Once rest of the gear peices are in we will know how insignificant it really is.

But you have to understand why these people are angry. They supported the idea and vision of Anet that exotics will be the cap for grind as far as stats are concerned and only thing that will differentiate them from one another is appearance. That is what made GW2 unique for them. An MMO which caps stats grind for good.

I think it is very immature of you to just label them as angry teems and shrug it off. I don't want same things as they  do but i understand their sentiment. 

I see you are happy following the lazy trope of re-defining the meaning of what I said and criticising THAT imaginary point of view instead of what I ACTUALLY said.

Where do I use the term 'angry teens' or even hint at it? Adults quite long in the tooth are perfectly capable of regarding their opinions as the only ones that matter I assure you.

Additionally I DO understand people are angry - on both sides of this interminable arguement, and that 'anger' is a remarkable over-reaction to such a petty issue.

I also understand that the definition of what a 'grind' is, is at the core of the issue - and that 4% (not 8%) stat increase on gear which NO-ONE yet knows the difficulty of obtaining (i.e. will it really be a 'grind' to get - taking months of raid-style chance drops or endless matt farming, or will it be like nearly every other challenge as yet revealed in GW2? - ) is an insignificant step up.

I WvWvW it won't make one shred of difference.

In PvE the 'boost' will barely be noticeable.

The only real issue here is the 'Agony' stat and whether this means 'soft-gating' on content in the future.

Now enough of the misapplied 'immature' references - you would be better served pointing such comments at the endless complainers. There is no credible way for you to demonstrate that anything in my post history is 'immature' and I would ask that you refrain from now on.

This discussion has been closed.