Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Load screens between zones?

So we know all zones will be instanced to Hell, with possibly hundres of copies of the same zone. But will moving from one zone to the next at least be seamless (like in WoW), so that there's at least the illusion of an open world? Or will there be fake barriers and load screens (like in GW2)?

Comments

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Does this really matter that much to people? I mean would you rather play a laggy shittastic game or have a 5 second barrior between zones?

Get real.

Originally posted by Whitebeards
    [mod edit]

Burnt out on that game about 2 weeks ago bud.

Its just truth. Go play an open world with no zones and let me know how that goes for you. Enjoy your lag.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Unfortunately, the latter.  Given that players can't wander into other faction zones, I'd think it's safe to assume it's all instanced.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Does this really matter that much to people? I mean would you rather play a laggy shittastic game or have a 5 second barrior between zones?

Get real.

Yes, actually it does matter to me. Comments like this are whats wrong with the game industry today. Why is it OK for developers to half ass something that we easily (yes very easy) have the technology to accomplish.

I think you are the one who needs to "get real" because immersion is #1 to me in an MMO and to many other people. If you like insta que BGs then good for you but I sure as hell don't and I hate a fake "open world" [mod edit]

I don't think there is a game out there that can get 1000 people into a zone without 50% of them DC'ing or lagging so hard they can't even move.

What makes all these "sandbox wannabee fans" think that a successful game can get 100,000 people on the same map at the same time?

It just can't be done yet. Probably never gonna happen in our lifetimes so might as well ticket up, buy your cotton candy and enjoy your themeparks.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I don't think there is a game out there that can get 1000 people into a zone without 50% of them DC'ing or lagging so hard they can't even move.What makes all these "sandbox wannabee fans" think that a successful game can get 100,000 people on the same map at the same time?It just can't be done yet. Probably never gonna happen in our lifetimes so might as well ticket up, buy your cotton candy and enjoy your themeparks.

And mindsets like that are why nothing is ever going to change.

"Land on the moon? HAHA that's impossible you morons!" - Early 1960's

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Well OP you just riled up a GW2 fan.

I am out of here.

*runs away screaming*

Burnt out on that game about 2 weeks ago bud.

Its just truth. Go play an open world with no zones and let me know how that goes for you. Enjoy your lag.

Never had lag in an open world mmo. Lagged like hell in swtor and other instanced mmo's though, Prefer the open world.

And yes it does matter if its instanced or has load screens. I wont play another instanced to hell mmo.

• Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Get real.

Between those two choices I'd rather have a 5 second barrier. However I prefer open worlds with no lag. World of WarCraft accomplishes this just fine, for example.

And yes, it matters a lot. Lots of MMO players don't just want any old game. They want a world to immerse themselves in. Load screens and artificial barriers break that immersion.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Axxar
    So we know all zones will be instanced to Hell, with possibly hundres of copies of the same zone. But will moving from one zone to the next at least be seamless (like in WoW), so that there's at least the illusion of an open world? Or will there be fake barriers and load screens (like in GW2)?

The "instance" you're in, will probably be for the entire 3 zones, (or 2 for DC), so for example, you'll be in one instance for Summerset Isles, Valenwood, and Elsweyr, which means no zoning until you go into Cyrodiil (which wouldn't even be a big deal, really).  But even if there is load time between zones, so what? Each zone is HUGE, so, how often will  you really be zoning?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    No one knows but its safe to assume that each area is zoned.  Now I am sure there will be countless areas within each zone, so in essence Skyrim will be open and Morrowind will be open but going between the 2 will most likely be zoned.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Get real.

It does actually matter to me. It takes away from the immersion. Just like the instancing does.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Get real.

wow has no loading screens from zone to zone and there is no lag, darkfall has no loading screens in a gigantic world and there is no lag...

Games nowadays have crappy loadingscreens from zone to zone or every 100 meters because they prefer poligon count with pretty graphics.

• Originally posted by Qallidexz

The "instance" you're in, will probably be for the entire 3 zones, (or 2 for DC), so for example, you'll be in one instance for Summerset Isles, Valenwood, and Elsweyr, which means no zoning until you go into Cyrodiil (which wouldn't even be a big deal, really).  But even if there is load time between zones, so what? Each zone is HUGE, so, how often will  you really be zoning?

If the faction areas and Cyrodil are staggeringly huge, it may be acceptable if it actually works as you're hoping.

Originally posted by Qallidexz

If the faction areas and Cyrodil are staggeringly huge, it may be acceptable if it actually works as you're hoping.

Well if you've played previous ES games, you know roughly how big they are, they said that the Cyrodiil in ESO will actually be slightly larger than the one in Oblivion.

• amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73

- Outdated graphic with immersive and 1000 people in one vast zone but highly possibly facing with DCs, lag, and bunch of server issues

- Modern gorgeous graphic, really few connection issue, but have to load screen between zones, break immersion.

Your choice pick!!..

I have read in Tamriel Foundry they said that ESO is probably going to this (sorry I forgot the link)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    [mod edit]

This what got me worried. 

But I be back for answers. I would also like to know.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Originally posted by amadeuz

- Outdated graphic with immersive and 1000 people in one vast zone but highly possibly facing with DCs, lag, and bunch of server issues

- Modern gorgeous graphic, really few connection issue, but have to load screen between zones, break immersion.

Your choice pick!!..

I have read in Tamriel Foundry they said that ESO is probably going to this (sorry I forgot the link)

Lousy excuse. Why would the first one lag but the second not? Games have open worlds without these issues, so clearly it's possible if you're using a decent engine. In fact WoW did it 8 years ago - each continent is seamless, no BS loading if you enter a town or pass into a different zone.

Server clogging or framerate issues occur if everyone is in the exact same area of the world, which can happen whether or not load screens exist.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Forget about WoW, people will raise the invalid argument about seamless world needing bad graphcis. Tera, with all its faults, has one of the most visually powerful engines on the market, the world is completely seamless and there is collision detection with everything.
    Originally posted by amadeuz

Your choice pick!!..

Lousy excuse. Why would the first one lag but the second not? Games have open worlds without these issues, so clearly it's possible if you're using a decent engine. In fact WoW did it 8 years ago - each continent is seamless, no BS loading if you enter a town or pass into a different zone.

Server clogging or framerate issues occur if everyone is in the exact same area of the world, which can happen whether or not load screens exist.

Yea, I have to agree wth Axxar, DAoC pulled it off in 2001... this game will come out 12 years later, so I don't see the issue.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Get real.

Between those two choices I'd rather have a 5 second barrier. However I prefer open worlds with no lag. World of WarCraft accomplishes this just fine, for example.

And yes, it matters a lot. Lots of MMO players don't just want any old game. They want a world to immerse themselves in. Load screens and artificial barriers break that immersion.

I haven't played WOW in many many years but wasn't that instanced as well? I remember that taking boats, going between Ironforge and Stormwind, going between continents, entering dungeons. If a SWTOR Planet is like equal to several WOW zones, isn't that basically the same thing or is this splitting hairs? The only open game I played was Vanguard and that was a buggy mess.

There Is Always Hope!

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279

Get real.

This^^^. So, does anyone know if TESO will have loading screens for every zone? This is one thing I really disliked about SWTOR.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Get real.

Get real, are you serious?  The only thing real about an MMO is when they can pull off a seamless and immersive gameworld.  GAmes with heavily instanced zones are just becoming deal breakers for me.I feel like Im playing some cheezy single player game with multiplayer support, [mod edit]

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Sinaku

Get real.

Yes, actually it does matter to me. Comments like this are whats wrong with the game industry today. Why is it OK for developers to half ass something that we easily (yes very easy) have the technology to accomplish.

I think you are the one who needs to "get real" because immersion is #1 to me in an MMO and to many other people. If you like insta que BGs then good for you but I sure as hell don't and I hate a fake "open world" cough*GW2*cough

To reduce the costs of hardware necessary to run it so you can provide a stabile service with minimum cost.

That is the main reason why GW2 is "instanced" like that. Thus GW2 can be profitable with B2P model if done correctly.

Tho I don't really care much about it, unless this one zone has 50 sub-instances because each instance can support up to 300 people (like it was in SWTOR at the beginning).

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by keithian

Get real.

I haven't played WOW in many many years but wasn't that instanced as well? I remember that taking boats, going between Ironforge and Stormwind, going between continents, entering dungeons. If a SWTOR Planet is like equal to several WOW zones, isn't that basically the same thing or is this splitting hairs? The only open game I played was Vanguard and that was a buggy mess.

Entire continents in WoW were seemless. I think I played wow for a month without hitting a load screen before I ventured off to the eastern continent.  One of the most immerisive online experiences Ive ever had, that and Vangaurd.

• Originally posted by keithian

Get real.

Nope, wasn't instanced except for dungeons and battlegrounds. It's true you got loadscreens taking boats, though. But apart from moving to another continent, you could visit all over Kalimdor or Azeroth seamlessly without loading.