Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft stops supporting DirectX in WIndows 7, no more updates.

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Personally, I will never use Linux. If it came to that becoming the next step in PC gaming I would have to say farewell to PC gaming.  But i highly doubt the entire gaming industry is suddenly going to abandon the windows platform, just like the average user won't abandon windows.

I honestly like Windows 8 though. After a couple weeks of using it, the desktop portions are the annoying parts now. Microsoft had to redesign windows, its been the same desktop and icons since windows 3.1 basically and 95 added the start menu and its the been the same since that.

I would complain if it came at a cost of performance, but like others have stated, windows 8 vastly out performs 7 in boot time memory usage and just plain "slickness".

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Lukain
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-12-directx-11-1-exclusive-to-windows-8-microsoft-confirms

DirectX 11.1 is exclusive to the divisive Windows 8 operating system, Microsoft has confirmed.

“there is no plan for DirectX 11.1 to be made available on Windows 7”.

Are they nuts?

Nuts ? NO

Desperate YES

Windows 8 is  still being outsold by Windows 7  if you don't include Touch devices  , I recently spoke to me PC seller asking  if when I by my new PC in Feb 2013 will I still be able to get it with windows 7  & he replyed Hell Yeah  I sell more Windows 7 Now than Windows 8

One store =/= rest of the world. The only facts I could find show Windows 8 selling more than Windows 7 at there pre-launches: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-Beats-Windows-7-in-Pre-Sales-Revenues-300678.shtml

Of course they're gonna count the touch devices. They saw how the market is shifting towards that plane - desktops are in the minority of PC's sold now. But just because Windows 8 works good with touch doesn't mean it's worse as a desktop OS than 7.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I have two new 26 inch samsung lcd monitors.  There's no way in hell I'm ditching them for a new OS which is designed for touch screen.  I have a 15 foot wooden desk with cabinets built into a wall.  It is not comfortable for me to lean forward and swipe across a screen. 

The crappy thing is I need a new computer, but I'll be holding out until Windows 9, which means some computer company will be losing out on a sale.

Oh well.

Originally posted by Draron

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-12-directx-11-1-exclusive-to-windows-8-microsoft-confirms

DirectX 11.1 is exclusive to the divisive Windows 8 operating system, Microsoft has confirmed.

Are they nuts?

Nuts ? NO

Desperate YES

Windows 8 is  still being outsold by Windows 7  if you don't include Touch devices  , I recently spoke to me PC seller asking  if when I by my new PC in Feb 2013 will I still be able to get it with windows 7  & he replyed Hell Yeah  I sell more Windows 7 Now than Windows 8

One store =/= rest of the world. The only facts I could find show Windows 8 selling more than Windows 7 at there pre-launches: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-Beats-Windows-7-in-Pre-Sales-Revenues-300678.shtml

Of course they're gonna count the touch devices. They saw how the market is shifting towards that plane - desktops are in the minority of PC's sold now. But just because Windows 8 works good with touch doesn't mean it's worse as a desktop OS than 7.

I'm actually looking forward to getting a touchscreen monitor on my next gaming rig sometime next year.

Originally posted by Terranah

I have two new 26 inch samsung lcd monitors.  There's no way in hell I'm ditching them for a new OS which is designed for touch screen.  I have a 15 foot wooden desk with cabinets built into a wall.  It is not comfortable for me to lean forward and swipe across a screen. 

The crappy thing is I need a new computer, but I'll be holding out until Windows 9, which means some computer company will be losing out on a sale.

Oh well.

Windows 8 is actually better for multiple monitors, I use 2 as well. Not touch-enabled either, and using it just like I did Windows 7 but only faster.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

I'd like to expand on what I said above.

Suppose that you're a game developer, and going to develop a game using DirectX.  Let's suppose that you know that you're going to use either DirectX 11 or 11.1, and are trying to decide which.  And let's suppose that Microsoft decide to port DirectX 11.1 back not only to Windows 7, but also all the way back to Vista.  So, do you make the game in DirectX 11 or 11.1?

The advantages of DirectX 11.1 are some minor quality-of-life improvements that give you a few extra options in how to do things.  The only headline feature that anyone points to is stereoscopic 3D support, but that just means requiring video cards to offer four framebuffers rather than two.  AMD and Nvidia already did this in drivers long before DirectX 11.1, so this doesn't even give you any new features that you can implement.

Besides, hardware is a long, long way from where it would need to be for stereoscopic 3D in games to be anything other than a stupid gimmick.  It's vastly easier to do stereoscopic 3D on television than in games, so there's not much point in pursuing it in games until it catches on for television--which still seems to be a long way off.

And what about the advantages of using DirectX 11 rather than 11.1?  That means you can support all Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series cards and GeForce 400 and 500 series cards.  That's a rather big deal, I think.  For that matter, even if you do decide to go with DirectX 11.1, your game is going to have a very small market unless you port it back to DirectX 11 or earlier.  If you port the game back to DirectX 11 anyway, then you have to create and maintain an alternate DirectX 11 code path for those few things that you used new DirectX 11.1 features for.  That makes your life harder rather than easier, which defeats the point of using 11.1.

So which do you choose?  If you say DirectX 11.1, then that's why no one would pay you to make this decision.  You're going to use DirectX 11, not 11.1.  And if no one would have used 11.1 even if Microsoft did port it back to Windows 7, then why go to the extra work to do so?

It's not like this with every new version release.  DirectX 11 brought some major headline features, most notably tessellation, compute shaders, and mulithreaded rendering.  Tessellation lets you do awesome new stuff that you flatly could not do in earlier versions.  Compute shaders let you do computations on the GPU outside of the normal rendering pipeline without the huge performance hit of making the video card switch from DirectX to something else entirely; the most obvious application for this is GPU physics, though it's surely not the only one.  I don't know if the DirectX 11 implementation of multithreaded rendering is advanced enough to be useful; if it makes every rendering thread stop and wait for the video card to be ready the way traditional single-threaded rendering does, then that would be pretty useless.

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Are they nuts?

Nuts ? NO

Desperate YES

You have to take into account the Windows 8 is on More devices including Phones , Tablets , Notbooks & PC 's . Just the edition of Tablets  from ASUS ,HP, Sony, Toshiba & many more should have it outselling  win7 by 50% alone

But just look at the standard PC market & see who is top dog ..

Originally posted by Terranah

Oh well.

The OS actually works really well with a mouse. I was concerned too at first that it would feel awkward but it doesn't. You just click stuff instead of tapping.

Funny enough, the reviews are saying the OS is having trouble on tablets because the desktop stuff isnt designed for a touch screen and there is still a lot of desktop.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I'm actually looking forward to getting a touchscreen monitor on my next gaming rig sometime next year.

I'm looking forward to finally getting a tablet and ditching this shit Android phone.  Actually since I've read some rumors that the Galaxy S3 might support Win8 I'm hoping I can buy a license for it from Verizon.  Either way, I'm finally going to be free of Android.

I would be surprised, from what I hear Microsoft is very specific on what they want the specs to be on their windows phones. I don't think they are just offering it up to anyone. If it gains some more market share I am definitely considering switching from my iPhone to windows 8 on my next upgrade. I don't like Android either.

Originally posted by Waybackwhen

This. Forcing people to buy WIndows 8 if you are a pc user. They know eventually you will need to upgrade. 

Not supporting a version of Direct X that a very small portion of games would actually use isn't forcing people to buy Windows 8. Windows 7 is going to be officially supported by Microsoft for years now, it's not like they're shoving anyone off the cliff.

Yeah but from a gamer's perspective we will want the DX11 upgrades and Microsoft knows that.

Windows 7 has DX 11. We're not even sure what DX 11.1 is gonna bring exactly anyways. It won't be a big jump as it's just a numberical upgrade.

To the contrary, we do know what DirectX 11.1 brings.  Microsoft will tell you here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh404562(v=vs.85).aspx

In case you don't understand what any of that means, it's some minor technical improvements and nothing more.

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

I would hate to have to use a Touch screen  I don't want to spend hours playing game on a monitor  that has to be in arms length , I have short arms  so  it would be be great for my eyes to sit 2 feet from a 27inch monitor

I would hate to have to use a Touch screen  I don't want to spend hours playing game on a monitor  that has to be in arms length , I have short arms  so  it would be be great for my eyes to sit 2 feet from a 27inch monitor

You don't HAVE to use a touch screen...the mouse still works. but for some stuff you can use it if you want. Also you would obviously position yourself differently at your desk rather than stretching out your arms.

I don't know why everyone thinks they are being forced into touch screen.

mmm...side note, imagine an ultra thin wireless monitor. You could just detatch your monitor and bring it to the couch with you and have your desktop as a tablet in your hands....sexy.

Originally posted by Quizzical

This. Forcing people to buy WIndows 8 if you are a pc user. They know eventually you will need to upgrade. 

Not supporting a version of Direct X that a very small portion of games would actually use isn't forcing people to buy Windows 8. Windows 7 is going to be officially supported by Microsoft for years now, it's not like they're shoving anyone off the cliff.

Yeah but from a gamer's perspective we will want the DX11 upgrades and Microsoft knows that.

Windows 7 has DX 11. We're not even sure what DX 11.1 is gonna bring exactly anyways. It won't be a big jump as it's just a numberical upgrade.

To the contrary, we do know what DirectX 11.1 brings.  Microsoft will tell you here:

In case you don't understand what any of that means, it's some minor technical improvements and nothing more.

Ah, yeah I read over some of that and couldn't make sense out of most of it heheh. Even less of a reason for people to get worked up over it then.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    How dare a company expect people to use their new products! This would be like an mmo no longer updating old content after an expansion comes out in order to encourage player to buy the expansion...oh wait...

You dont get it Vassa, its not a free upgrade.  How about you buy a new car then the next year you go to service it the dealer says they dont work on it anymore and you have to buy a new car....oh wait you dont have to worry about that do you.  Thank god most other industries dont have the monolistic approach to business that Microsoft has.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

You don't HAVE to use a touch screen...the mouse still works. but for some stuff you can use it if you want. Also you would obviously position yourself differently at your desk rather than stretching out your arms.

I don't know why everyone thinks they are being forced into touch screen.

mmm...side note, imagine an ultra thin wireless monitor. You could just detatch your monitor and bring it to the couch with you and have your desktop as a tablet in your hands....sexy.

I pretty much go out of my way to keep peoples greasy finger prints off my monitor, but here I see people talking about how cool its going to be to smuge up their monitors, mind blowing.

Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    How dare a company expect people to use their new products! This would be like an mmo no longer updating old content after an expansion comes out in order to encourage player to buy the expansion...oh wait...

You dont get it Vassa, its not a free upgrade.  How about you buy a new car then the next year you go to service it the dealer says they dont work on it anymore and you have to buy a new car....oh wait you dont have to worry about that do you.  Thank god most other industries dont have the monolistic approach to business that Microsoft has.

What's the difference between that and upgrading your hardware to play newer games?

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    I wouldn't worry really, most games use dx 9 still anyway. I don't know much about win8 other than its been called the new WinME and we all remember how shitty winME was back in the day. Also the general consumer doesn't even like win8 on a tablet like it was designed for due to how assbackwards it is to use compared to an Ipad and such.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Quizzical

When you look at it in the perspective that most mmos, if not most pc games, are DX9 or DX10 compatible then the fud makes no sense at all.  Did anyone upgrade to Win7 for DX10.1?

DirectX 10.1 was released long before Windows 7.  AMD cards all the way back to the Radeon HD 3000 series support it.

You may have meant DirectX 11 rather than 10.1, as 11 is what launched with Windows 7.  Unlike 10.1 or 11.1, DirectX 11 brought some major new features and was a big deal.  So you know what Microsoft did about it?  They ported it back to Vista.  They didn't port it back to Windows XP, but one could argue that there aren't many people running a gaming computer with both Windows XP and a DirectX 11 video card.

And you know why Microsoft ported it back to Vista rather than saying everyone has to get Windows 7 now?  Because they knew that some of the new features in DirectX 11 were going to be a big deal.  OpenGL 4.0 roughly caught up in feature set shortly thereafter--and works not merely on Windows 7, but also Vista and XP (and Linux, though not Mac OS X).  If DirectX 11 had been Windows 7 only, then OpenGL would have been the natural choice for game developers who wanted to make a game with modern graphics.  And Microsoft can't have that, as DirectX is what ties games to Windows.  If all games used OpenGL rather than DirectX, gaming computers wouldn't necessarily need Windows.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

As said before... Mickey$oft wants us to use Win8 over Win7, that's pretty obvious. Win8 seems to have so called 'improvements' and is compatible with WInPhone8. But when I look at my gameslist, every single game older than 5 years is not supported by WIn8. So Fat chance I'll hop to Win8 over Win7 (I do have a Win8 copy to upgrade a Vista machine though).

An other thing a lot of ppl seem to forget. Why bother about DX11.1 when most developers still use DX9 for their games? DX9 is the standard because it's easy to port to both the xbox360 and PS3.

Originally posted by Reizla

An other thing a lot of ppl seem to forget. Why bother about DX11.1 when most developers still use DX9 for their games? DX9 is the standard because it's easy to port to both the xbox360 and PS3.

DirectX is proprietary to Microsoft.  The Xbox 360 basically uses DirectX 9.0c, but the PlayStation 3 uses its own custom API, not DIrectX or even OpenGL.

• 0Neo00Neo0 Member UncommonPosts: 47

LOL @ 39 bucks Australian,cheapest os ever,works great.

Emm Tightarse's comes to mind :).

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    iWindows
    Originally posted by Reizla

As said before... Mickey$oft wants us to use Win8 over Win7, that's pretty obvious. Win8 seems to have so called 'improvements' and is compatible with WInPhone8. But when I look at my gameslist, every single game older than 5 years is not supported by WIn8. So Fat chance I'll hop to Win8 over Win7 (I do have a Win8 copy to upgrade a Vista machine though).

Played tons of old games on W8 ever since I upgraded. Morrowind, KOTOR 1 and 2...what games you talking about?

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    ahahaha get fucked MS that's why i have never paid a dime for windows shitty customer service and business practices

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I just finished installing windows 8 and Im pretty surprised.   The start menu, while terrible, is still feeling more of the same.  prolly cuz I only use the taskbar and have all my stuff rocket-docked....I also treat the start menu as its own full screen program instead of like....windows o.O 

All in all Im pretty satisfied with it.  Right now Im just putting up all my favorite websites n feeds to the start menu! (^_^)/

Oh and Im in love with my Razer Deathstalker.  It arrived this morning @_@

Oh and as for the DirectX....Has it not always been like that?  XP had 9, Vista had 10, 7 had 11, and now 8 has 11.1

And as quiz said, 11.1 is barely anything to write home about.  Heck Im still sticking to 11 for my stuff cuz I dont use stereo 3D, which is the only noteworthy thing I remember seeing in 11.1.

On another note, IE from the start menu seems to be very....Mobile-ey.  It looks and acts like tablet/phone browsers.  ITS NOT LETTING ME CLICK THE COLOR CHANGER! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**