Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft stops supporting DirectX in WIndows 7, no more updates.

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-12-directx-11-1-exclusive-to-windows-8-microsoft-confirms

DirectX 11.1 is exclusive to the divisive Windows 8 operating system, Microsoft has confirmed.

“there is no plan for DirectX 11.1 to be made available on Windows 7”.

Are they nuts?

Comments

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    They need more money to send to Africa!
  • LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

They did this with the last Direct X as well, they want to push us onto their dream cloud computing unified platform shit, which technology wise is pretty cool, but I want to play on my PC thank you MS.

Valve make SteamOS already..

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

This is TOTAL BS. They want to support win8 that failed so badly, that they will completely abandon the very good win7... Look, win8 is NOT A TABLET. Not only that, it is a very inconvenient interface that is not streamlined for multi-tasking at all, with plenty of obsticals to getting to things you want to get done.

Now what happens when video games come out that don't support the latest Win7 DirectX?? Even if you have a beast of a machine that is a million times better than Windows 8, you won't be able to play them!

This is horrible. I hate Microsoft now. I'm switching to linux.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    WIn 8 will never be as good as WIN 7. Sooner or later they will realise this.
  • Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

I'm on Windows 8 and while the start menu takes some getting used to I'm rather enjoying it. What's the big deal?

For what it's worth, it's very shitty of them to do what they're doing. It's a roundabout way of forcing people to upgrade to Windows 8.

• deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66
    I'll stop gaming before I give microsoft money for windows 8, if that's what they want. Im sure someone can come up with yet another operating system, maybe one of the game developers themselves would make an engine type of a game room that you can launch games from. Do it up.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Maybe it's a concession from Microsoft that no one cares about DirectX 11.1?  Neither AMD nor Nvidia seems to care about it, at least.  What if not porting DirectX 11.1 to Windows 7 is kind of like not porting Microsoft Bob to Windows RT?

There were what, two games that ever used DirectX 10.1?  And that had the vendor marketing point that ATI cards supported it and Nvidia didn't for about two years, so ATI had an incentive to push it.  DirectX 11.1 doesn't even have that.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Though it is a bad move, by the time games use Direct X 11 they'd be on there next OS. The only (MMO) game I can think of that incorporates the newer features is TSW.

Off topic but I'm on Windows 8 and like it. Faster boot/shutdown times, better frames on gaming, better multiple monitor support...

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

This is essentially par for the course isn't it?  Hasn't Microsoft always used the same sort of compatability cutoffs to ratchet consumers and publishers up from version to version?

(I have to admit I had completely forgotten about Windows 8 though ... it's not even on my radar)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Badgered86

I'm on Windows 8 and while the start menu takes some getting used to I'm rather enjoying it. What's the big deal?

For what it's worth, it's very shitty of them to do what they're doing. It's a roundabout way of forcing people to upgrade to Windows 8.

This. Forcing people to buy WIndows 8 if you are a pc user. They know eventually you will need to upgrade. 

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-12-directx-11-1-exclusive-to-windows-8-microsoft-confirms

DirectX 11.1 is exclusive to the divisive Windows 8 operating system, Microsoft has confirmed.

Are they nuts?

Honestly, you did not see this coming? Windows 8 is what they have planned on concentrating on for some time. This is not exactly new news. While I love Windows 7, I will be upgrading to 8 within the next few months. I'm not bothered by their direction either. At least they are letting everyone know, and for those to plan accordingly.  :)

Originally posted by Waybackwhen

This. Forcing people to buy WIndows 8 if you are a pc user. They know eventually you will need to upgrade. 

Not supporting a version of Direct X that a very small portion of games would actually use isn't forcing people to buy Windows 8. Windows 7 is going to be officially supported by Microsoft for years now, it's not like they're shoving anyone off the cliff.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    How dare a company expect people to use their new products! This would be like an mmo no longer updating old content after an expansion comes out in order to encourage player to buy the expansion...oh wait...

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Originally posted by VassagoMael
    How dare a company expect people to use their new products! This would be like an mmo no longer updating old content after an expansion comes out in order to encourage player to buy the expansion...oh wait...

This. It's like gamers having to update there hardware to keep up with the latest game. And it's not like your gonna need Windows 8 next month or next year even. Most PC games use Direct X 9 only because consoles revolve around it - the next gen is gonna be running DX10. We're a good half decade away at the earliest that DX11 will be standard and they'll be a new Windows OS out by then for sure. And that's still a step away from DX11.1.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Draron

Not supporting a version of Direct X that a very small portion of games would actually use isn't forcing people to buy Windows 8. Windows 7 is going to be officially supported by Microsoft for years now, it's not like they're shoving anyone off the cliff.

Yeah but from a gamer's perspective we will want the DX11 upgrades and Microsoft knows that.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

It wouldn't be so bad if Windows 8 wassn't such a controversial OS, but many people can't stand it, this will lead to fragmentation where developers either stop supporting Windows 8 or move to another OS, they pushed Gabe over the edge, I'm sure at this rate they will push a few more developers over the edge.

Yeah but from a gamer's perspective we will want the DX11 upgrades and Microsoft knows that.

Windows 7 has DX 11. We're not even sure what DX 11.1 is gonna bring exactly anyways. It won't be a big jump as it's just a numberical upgrade.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Im guessing linux is the next step for the gaming industry as a whole.
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    It's $40. Get over it.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

It's $40. Get over it.

That's not the point Vassago, many people will not upgrade even if it was $1 because of the nature of the OS.

It's $40. Get over it.

That's not the point Vassago, many people will not upgrade even if it was $1 because of the nature of the OS.

Nature of the OS? The only difference from Windows 7 to 8 (if you use it only for the Desktop) is the start screen is just a full-screened menu. Your getting better frames, battery life, better security, faster boot times, etc for upgrading. It easily outweighs the con of a full screen start menu that can be modded back to the Windows 7 menu.

Nature of the OS? The only difference from Windows 7 to 8 (if you use it only for the Desktop) is the start screen is just a full-screened menu. Your getting better frames, battery life, better security, faster boot times, etc for upgrading. It easily outweighs the con of a full screen start menu that can be modded back to the Windows 7 menu.

Well, I don't think it matters or it's worth discussing the merits of this OS, there are a gazillion places online to do that, all I know is that when I went to Amazon, and watched the Windows 8 reviews, (300 or so), it had 2.5 stars out of 5. The general public is divided over this OS.

For gamers, having half of the people running another DirectX version, is not good.

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Are they nuts?

Nuts ? NO

Desperate YES

Windows 8 is  still being outsold by Windows 7  if you don't include Touch devices  , I recently spoke to me PC seller asking  if when I by my new PC in Feb 2013 will I still be able to get it with windows 7  & he replyed Hell Yeah  I sell more Windows 7 Now than Windows 8

Since the interface seems to be the main issue why the hell didn't they include an option of using the old windows 7 interface instead of Metro which is made for tuochscreen devices  not a Mouse & Keyboard

Well, I don't think it matters or it's wroth discussing the merits of this OS, there are a gazillion places online to do that, all I know is that when I went to Amazon, and watched the Windows 8 reviews, (300 or so), it had 2.5 stars out of 5. The general public is devided over this OS.

For gamers, having half of the people running another DirectX version, is not good.

True, was just curious what you meant by the nature of the OS.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Bill Gates,  Paul Allen,  Jimi Hendrix,       the northwest has always been full of geniuses.  the rest of the world can suck it.  bring on windows 8.