Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft Makes DirectX 11.1 a Windows 8 Exclusive

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Ok, let your paranoia run wild about Microsoft's plan to control the gaming market.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/12/3634852/microsoft-directx-11-1-windows-8

What does this mean in the long term? Any games that rely on DirectX 11.1 will only run under Windows 8. I'm not sure how long that will take...I'm still running Windows XP so I expect it'll take awhile.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    A wonderful way to stop developers from using DX11.1 just like now most devs still treat DX 9 as the main thing.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Someone will find a work around, the same thing happened with dx10
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

As someone who has Windows 8 installed, I will say they will need gunpoint arguments to get people to switch.

Its bad. Not even Vista bad. More like Win ME bad. Yeah really. THAT bad.

Its not that I dont like what they are trying to do, I knda do. Its just that the products is so unfinished and bug ridden, that it is not even funny.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by hfztt

As someone who has Windows 8 installed, I will say they will need gunpoint arguments to get people to switch.

Its not that I dont like what they are trying to do, I knda do. Its just that the products is so unfinished and bug ridden, that it is not even funny.

LOL and again LOL@!

i thought of installing it on a VM to try in out - thanks for saving me the trouble...

and as for the OP - exactly like DX10 - no one noticed it and ppl will just use the one before and the one after.....

Just my 2 cents...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Shaike
    Originally posted by hfztt As someone who has Windows 8 installed, I will say they will need gunpoint arguments to get people to switch. Its bad. Not even Vista bad. More like Win ME bad. Yeah really. THAT bad. Its not that I dont like what they are trying to do, I knda do. Its just that the products is so unfinished and bug ridden, that it is not even funny.
    LOL and again LOL@!

i thought of installing it on a VM to try in out - thanks for saving me the trouble...

and as for the OP - exactly like DX10 - no one noticed it and ppl will just use the one before and the one after.....

I've heard the opposite, on these very forums. That Windows 8 actually works. Even if it worked, you'd still need the gunpoint though, because Windows 7 works, and so does Windows XP. There's very little incentive to switch.

For Microsoft though, there's incentive to limit backwards compatibility. Mostly because of sales, but also because that backwards compatibility is expensive and causes issues that would otherwise be avoided.

Well, I'm hoping this will give a boost to OpenGL, if not Linux. I think competition is good, and another viable gaming platform would probably be a good thing for consumers.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Microsoft in being a set of gits shocker!

Hopefully more game devs will tell them where to stick win 8 now.

Just wait on win 9 , once they've suckered people with win 8 it will be "metro" only, and all your games will come through Microsoft with a crappy xbl setup (cost 30% more, bugger all patches, no mods, small devs pushed out)
    Win 8 is basicly win 7 and win 9 stuck together with hammers and duct tape.

They can sell it to casual home users with the "ooo look its like iPad" interface. They are trying to force home power users / gamers onto it with these tricks. I wonder what wheeze they will come up with to force business users onto it.
    Lizard dam right there's incentive not to be backwards compatible.

Xbox style cut from every pc game.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I've ran win8 release preview excusively for months and it worked flawlessly, just as good as windows 7 and sometimes better. It definitely starts much faster than win7 sometimes feels instant. The ONLY thing throwing people off is the metro UI, which you don't need to use.

Is there an incentive to switch from win7 to win8? Not unless you want a laptop/tablet combo or just a tablet. But if you were to switch, metro UI is the only thing you would notice being different, and like I said before, you don't have to use it.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Well I know STEAM isn't happy with Windows 8 and they will try and do something by having games aviliable with other operating systems, but we'll see. I am staying with Windows 7 but if I want to upgrade my operating system I will go with windows 8, I will go with something else.
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    If I recall Win 8 is the basis for the next gaming console X-box. It's suppose to unify the cell phone, tablet, PC and console sytems under one system. Theory is one thing , practice is another. We'll see how this works out.  

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Unless they lock the new Xbox to DX11.1 (which I think they can't do, due to hardware), this will be a stunted move.   And one with way less reason for it than the move to  DX10

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
     LOL , like someone said earlier , a fix around will be available , also most games still run on Dx 9.0. So Microsoft can take their 11.1 and shove it , it will not increase the sales of Windows 8 since Win8 is a piece of trash.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by Jorl Well I know STEAM isn't happy with Windows 8 and they will try and do something by having games aviliable with other operating systems, but we'll see. I am staying with Windows 7 but if I want to upgrade my operating system I will go with windows 8, I will go with something else.
     The only reason Valve could have for not liking Windows 8 is Gabe Newell having a temporary stick lodged up his arse, as he has been known to be prone to.

Valve has no issue with Windows 8. Valve is looking at linux most likely as an OS base for their own hardware they're developing, while also offering an option for those who run linux systems and would like to play games natively. In other words, they're just exanding their customer base like any smart company will.

No different than when they decided to make STEAM for Mac. Or wait, did you think they made STEAM work for Mac because they hated Windows XP and 7 too? lol

There is absolutely nothing about Windows 8 on PC that is a detriment to Valve/STEAM. Everything installs and runs just like on every OS before it. You don't need any special apps or permissions or to use a MS store or anything else.

Valve was not happy because Microsoft's plan is to move to a closed ecosystem, similar to what Apple has with the iPad. That's where WindowsRT comes in (Windows 8 on a tablet). Beyond that, Windows 8 doesn't work too much different that Win7 in that you can install and run anything that will install.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    My hope is that all of this will simply lead to a much improved OpenGL that can compete with and theoretically overtake DirectX.
  • Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    STILL NOT going to get it...ill upgrade when Windows 9 comes out thank you!
  • Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

I got a copy of Windows 8 free through my school and I have zero complaints about the OS on a meaningful level.  It's more having to adapt to the new layout.  I don't get the Windows 8 hate... not like this is Vista 2.0

Try it before you hate on it.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• Originally posted by hfztt

LOL, what? You've clearly not even used Windows 8 at all. I've been running it since launch and have had no issues. I really enjoyed Windows 7, but 8 is clearly much faster and has some nice improvements (Task Manager). Some of the apps in Metro are quite good as well.

Steam works perfectly as do all of the games I play. 

Windows ME and Vista were truly awful; Windows 8 is quite nice. If anyone has any doubts about it, try going into a retail store and playing around with it for while. I demo it for customers at work all the time and the majority of them like it.

If you don't like it after honestly giving it a try, then that's your right, but don't delude yourself into thinking that it's another Vista or ME.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Bainwalker

I got a copy of Windows 8 free through my school and I have zero complaints about the OS on a meaningful level.  It's more having to adapt to the new layout.  I don't get the Windows 8 hate... not like this is Vista 2.0

Try it before you hate on it.

It looks ugly as **** on a monitor. No reason to try something that looks like trash.

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by zenryoku

LOL, what? You've clearly not even used Windows 8 at all. I've been running it since launch and have had no issues. I really enjoyed Windows 7, but 8 is clearly much faster and has some nice improvements (Task Manager). Some of the apps in Metro are quite good as well.

Steam works perfectly as do all of the games I play. 

Windows ME and Vista were truly awful; Windows 8 is quite nice. If anyone has any doubts about it, try going into a retail store and playing around with it for while. I demo it for customers at work all the time and the majority of them like it.

If you don't like it after honestly giving it a try, then that's your right, but don't delude yourself into thinking that it's another Vista or ME.

That part there Mr. Gates, made my left eyebrow raise.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Ehhh Windows 8 still has a ways to go. My sound randomly stops working until I disable the speakers and reenable them under Hardware and sound (not just mute and unmute). Sadly I was on the latest Windows 8 driver for them too.

Also had a lot of issues getting my G400 mouse to be programmable.

For now I am back with Windows 7... Windows 8 with Start8 is not horrible.. but I would never use it without Start8. At least it makes it more Windows 7 like then lol.

Originally posted by Kilrain

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I've ran win8 release preview excusively for months and it worked flawlessly, just as good as windows 7 and sometimes better. It definitely starts much faster than win7 sometimes feels instant. The ONLY thing throwing people off is the metro UI, which you don't need to use.

Is there an incentive to switch from win7 to win8? Not unless you want a laptop/tablet combo or just a tablet. But if you were to switch, metro UI is the only thing you would notice being different, and like I said before, you don't have to use it.

I DO know what i am talking about.

* The standard metro apps actaully have a lot of bugs. Try using them.

* I work a lot from home. At work my pc is Win 7 and I remote desktop to it. After the Win8 upgrade the remote desktop client (mstsc.exe) simply crashes after a few minutes every time I start it.

* The idea of Metro start screen is a nice idea, it just have more usablity issues than use can shake a stick at currently. Especially or a normal non-touch PC. Example: If you want to start a random program whiloe on your desktop, you have to swtich to Metro, right click on blank area, press show all apps in the pop up. Wait for the programs app to load, then sidescroll to find your old programs menu items. Hell yeah, thats usablity gone wrong for you.

* If you thought the old lower right corner pop up boxes annoyed you, the new purple larger square box that slide in from the right will make you jump out a window. And that one really gets funny if you open, say a media file, that has an app that COULOD play it. Then it informs you EVERY TIME you open it with a non metro app that there is a metro app that could play it. Does it have a "Go away and staty away" button? Nah...

I do know what i am talking about. I have been a MS man since Win 95. And I tell you, Win 8 is full of good intentions, (so was Win ME mind you) it just does not cut it as a replacement for Win7. That said I am Sure that one a pure WinRT device, it will work nicely, once they sort out the bugs in the standard Metro apps. But as a replacement for Win7 on a non touch device? No. Just, no.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

MAC OSX / iOS will be the future of gaming!

*raises fists to heaven*

:P

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Windows 7 is the best windows in the existence of man kind. There is no way I am switching to 8. I will probably go for 9 which will probably have all the crap in 8 fixed.

People still use XP? After using Windows 7 I just can't go back to that horrible Windows!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

There are a couple tips for interacting and starting programs I would recommend.

1. The obvious is to pin the apps you use most to your start menu and/or task bar.

2. If you want to quickly access the start menu from the desktop hit the windows key.

3. If you want to quickly start an app that isn't pinned: Hit the Windows key and start typing.  It works just like start / search in Win7.  If your app is the first on your search list you can hit enter.  If it's not then you will have to click on it or use your arrow keys to navigate

4. If you're in the start menu (or search) and want to navigate back to the desktop you can simply hit your Windows key again.  The caveat here is that you must have the desktop open for the Win Hotkey back to the desktop to work.  When I first get into Windows I usually start my browser or Outlook and that takes me to the desktop and keeps it open.

5. There are a ton of ways to do things in Win8.  It's actually very flexible.  For example, I VPN and RDP a lot to a lot of different locations.  I can use the Win8 flyout to access my vpn conns, or I can create a shortcut to my PBK (remote access phonebook file) file in my user settings, or I can create a Windows shortcut that calls rasphone.exe via command line with the vpn name.  I can store those shortcuts in a place where I can pin them to my start menu or taskbar.  If you have a lot you can put them in a folder and add that folder as a custom toolbar to your taskbar.

Did you read my message?

Its not that the INTENTIONS in Win 8 are bad. I know there is a lot of stuff you can do in it. But like Vista and ME the actual IMPLEMENTATION is flawed and bug ridden.