Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Rift: Storm Legion Review In Progress - Part 1

2»

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by cronius77
    I advise anyone on the fence that played Rift before to read the patch notes today before even touching this game again . Its one huge nerf patch to just about all healing and dps builds. They even nerfed beastmaster and reaver again... they seriously have about the worst devs ive ever seen at a studio in my life . Also Strangiato you been playing DnD way to much :P

I am as vocal as anyone against Rift.  I think its a shame that Trion is capable of turning this in to something amazing but makes (in my opinion) lots of terrible decisions that counteract their great ones.

However, your crusade about the nerfing is overboard.  It happens in games that try to balance PvE and PvP, and the soul system makes things especially tough to juggle.  Oh, I do think they changed too much, but its far from a major gripe.  

To say they have terrible devs is ludicrous.  Ill say the people calling the shots and telling em what to do have their heads up their asses a lot, but for the most part they are very good at what they do.  Just not good at choosing what to do.

As for the DnD comment look at it this way:  You can either copy whats been out there, or make your own definitions of what classes can and cant do.  And in both scenarios, it makes sense clerics can tank. (Im still iffy on the chain crap though)

Originally posted by Samhael
     and the servers aren't even up yet. 

Its time to give Blizzard the creit they are due on this one:  They are pros at expansion launch.  Flip a switch at midnight and everyone can enjoy.  thats the way to do it.

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Servers are up for few hours actualy. Playing myself.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by Khebeln
    You just made your own argument invalid.Read my counter arguments in green, in the quote above.
    I didnt make my argument invalid and neither did you.

All you did was fan speak yourself in circles.

Its like you've convinced yourself that Rift not being able to grow its player base is a good thing. Rift fans are strange.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

People gotta let go of the pvp pipedream in this game. Rift is a pve game. The pvp systems in it are for pve'ers who want a casual pvp experience that is actually more pve focused with multiple objectives anyway. The sooner folks realize this, the sooner they can enjoy it for what it is. Or move on of thats the case.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Devoting content for the sake of doing pointless inferrior zones with new themes is a waste of resources, like in wow. So much forgotten content over the years it almost makes you cry.

Refining, redoing or adding to the old content, especially starter zones, is far from pointless.

[Reply by Khebeln] Yes and thats exactly what Rift did since release to all the 1-50 content, instead of adding unrefinied and lacking in content new zones, they doubled or tripled the content in all zones, WHAT???  Doubled or tripled the content?  Seriously?  Scarlet Gorge is near identical today than it was at release.  IAs are the only real new thing, and they use a lot of rehashed quest.  monsters?  boss fights?  collectibles?  this stuff hasnt been added.  New rifts and invasions that are genric across all zones, yes so you cant count them for every zone.added new mechanics, instant adventures, monsters, boss fights, colectables, pvp objectives and much more. All in already existing zones.

You dont do it for the people that are already playing the game and making alts, you do it for the people that are new to the game.

[Reply by Khebeln] I agree. But Rift is not alt making game to begin with. You have only 4 classes. There is so much content in the endgame its hard to get it all on even 1 character.

By making Rift an alt-unfriendly game you alienate a large portion of the mmorpg audience.

What you propose is counter productive in a long term. Instead of making half empty new zones for new players they decided to spent all this time since release to keep updating exisiting ones, and evolve the world.

They have spent almost no time whatsoever updating existing zones.  IA and thats it.  the world events are unifrm across all levels so they are really only creating them for level 50s and copy/pasting them to the other zones.  People hype the crap out of IA yet its just non stop questing.  Kill 7 mobs.  kill 8 mobs.  kick 10 puppies.  kill mini boss. kill 8 mobs, kill 7 mobs, kick 14 puppies, kill mini boss...oh more people joined...kill 30 mobs, kill 45 mobs, kick 62 puppies...etc etc...

This way it is actualy focusing on "NEW" players instead of returing people that never went past lv 20. Players like that commonly know as "locust", need more new starting zones to satisfy their sense of clearing same thing with a new skin.

Uh no.  The locusts are the people that rush to the top, clear the 7 new dungeons in a day, get fully geared in a week, and scream for more.  the people that like alts and zne choices tend to be the rose smellers.

You do it to bring in new players and keep them, which WoW has not had a problem with and Rift has.

[Reply by Khebeln] This and that is completly unrelated. Rift problem was week advertisement, low hype (No one had any expectations) and completly unknown ip. Not to mention considerable PC requirements, even today (Rift is CPU capped).

WEAK ADVERTISEMENT?  They ran tv spots.  Movie theater ads.  Plastered themselves all over the internet.  Rift was HEAVILY advertised and had MASSIVE hype.  They sold as many copies the first month as WAR, which was a huge existing IP.  They had sold over 1 million boxes within the first 3-4 months.  That is NOT weak advertising/hype.  It was at the time the third largest release (WoW, AoC) in terms of early box sales in the west.  Rift's issue has NEVER been getting people to try it.

As a matter of fact Rift have really good engame player retention due to very fast and big updates. Unlike WoW that only offers any real content for expansions.

If they have this great endgame retention they wouldnt have cut 85% of their NA servers.  ANd dont bring up the triple capacity nonsense because the merge was needed with or without the capacity increase (although Faeblight and Wolfsbane and a couple other servers didnt need it)

Also, to say WoW doesnt offer large patches is completely ridiculous.  They have a pretty big one brewing right now actually.

Reason why WoW is doing so well is the most popular IP right now. Very low PC req. Huge amount of content added over many years in several expansion. On top of that wow was always targeted for young gamers, offering very little chalange till raiding, and very convinient and casual systems. Even more so today than several years ago.

WoW's success is its on phenomenom in itself.  Vanilla WoW was a GREAT release, and great initial releases tend to gain momentum over time.  You talk about WoW having no challenge til raiding in a post defending Rift which is just silly.  Rift is very easy from 1-50 as long as you dont back into 4 mobs at once.  Vanilla WoW certainly not easier than Rift and the young gamer thing is just stupid.  Average age of a US WoW player is 30.  Studies have been done on this.

WoW is almost as casual as Free Realms or any similiar game.

Is it successful ? You bet. Is it becasue its the best game on the market ? Depends what you like. It sure offers a lot content for someone that never played it.

But at the same time the game is very unorginal, afraid to make or change or add anything new. Catters only to casual crowd. Focuses on bringing new players instead of expanding the endgame content. Is very simple and easy to master.

How is WoW very unoriginal?  They (along with EQ2) created the themepark genre.  They made the game that Rift is based off of.  Dungeon finder is probably the biggest game changed in MMOs the last 3 or 4 years (although I think its a negative) and the raid finder found a good compromise to let the people who dont like the raid lifestyle see the content and IMO is a much better mechanic for it than chronicles.

Rift hasnt exactly pushed the limits of originality.  Its core game is based off of WoW and many of its systems are directly from EQ2 (collections, mentoring housing, all copies of eq2).  A battleground with 3 teams instead of 2?  Ok maybe a little inventive but not exactly a huge innovation.

Most important thing for wow is to MAKE MONEY. Every decision they make is based around it. They dont care about making a good game. Good advertisement, sales, and futher promotion of IP is what matters.

You are absolutely nuts if you think Blizzard doesnt care about making a good game.  Yes, they are certainly greedy, no argument there.  But MoP isnt the result of a game company that doesnt care about their product.

Id rather take Rift any time, where the bad habits i mentioned above are not exisiting. Consider the fact that compared to WoW Rift had substantialy smaller player base and yet they added easily 3x "MORE" high quality content in the same period of time. And released expansion twice as big as anything wow released.

Storm Legion is NOT twice as big as WOTLK.  It is the biggest expansion since EQ1s prime, but WOTLK was plenty big, and BC wasnt too shabby either.  But ther eis no question trion's content addition has been their biggest asset.

Aparently they are doing well enough, and not milking the game dry. Instead they invest, invest and invest. And they actualy play their own game. (I know from experiance, as i talked with devs a lot in game over the years)

Where is this proof they are doing well enough?

Just answer this question:

First two CE upgrade mounts cost 10 bucks each.  The last mount cost 15, price was 5 dollars more (and offered less)

So did they raise the price a) because they could or b) because they needed the extra revenue

Either they are particpating in a little customer miling, or they arent doing as well as some think they are.  I dont think they are milking personally.

You just made your own argument invalid.

Read my counter arguments in green, in the quote above.

a dose of reality in orange

Originally posted by Foomerang

People gotta let go of the pvp pipedream in this game. Rift is a pve game. The pvp systems in it are for pve'ers who want a casual pvp experience that is actually more pve focused with multiple objectives anyway. The sooner folks realize this, the sooner they can enjoy it for what it is. Or move on of thats the case.

What he said :)

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

I'm loving the "feel" of the zones and this expansion in general.  It's really pleasing several of my gamer senses and is actually popping a bit of my nostalgia and reminding me of Burning Crusade when it first launched.  All in all i'm having a blast.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Devoting content for the sake of doing pointless inferrior zones with new themes is a waste of resources, like in wow. So much forgotten content over the years it almost makes you cry.

Refining, redoing or adding to the old content, especially starter zones, is far from pointless.

[Reply by Khebeln] Yes and thats exactly what Rift did since release to all the 1-50 content, instead of adding unrefinied and lacking in content new zones, they doubled or tripled the content in all zones, WHAT???  Doubled or tripled the content?  Seriously?  Scarlet Gorge is near identical today than it was at release.  IAs are the only real new thing, and they use a lot of rehashed quest.  monsters?  boss fights?  collectibles?  this stuff hasnt been added.  New rifts and invasions that are genric across all zones, yes so you cant count them for every zone.added new mechanics, instant adventures, monsters, boss fights, colectables, pvp objectives and much more. All in already existing zones.

You dont do it for the people that are already playing the game and making alts, you do it for the people that are new to the game.

[Reply by Khebeln] I agree. But Rift is not alt making game to begin with. You have only 4 classes. There is so much content in the endgame its hard to get it all on even 1 character.

By making Rift an alt-unfriendly game you alienate a large portion of the mmorpg audience.

What you propose is counter productive in a long term. Instead of making half empty new zones for new players they decided to spent all this time since release to keep updating exisiting ones, and evolve the world.

They have spent almost no time whatsoever updating existing zones.  IA and thats it.  the world events are unifrm across all levels so they are really only creating them for level 50s and copy/pasting them to the other zones.  People hype the crap out of IA yet its just non stop questing.  Kill 7 mobs.  kill 8 mobs.  kick 10 puppies.  kill mini boss. kill 8 mobs, kill 7 mobs, kick 14 puppies, kill mini boss...oh more people joined...kill 30 mobs, kill 45 mobs, kick 62 puppies...etc etc...

This way it is actualy focusing on "NEW" players instead of returing people that never went past lv 20. Players like that commonly know as "locust", need more new starting zones to satisfy their sense of clearing same thing with a new skin.

Uh no.  The locusts are the people that rush to the top, clear the 7 new dungeons in a day, get fully geared in a week, and scream for more.  the people that like alts and zne choices tend to be the rose smellers.

You do it to bring in new players and keep them, which WoW has not had a problem with and Rift has.

[Reply by Khebeln] This and that is completly unrelated. Rift problem was week advertisement, low hype (No one had any expectations) and completly unknown ip. Not to mention considerable PC requirements, even today (Rift is CPU capped).

WEAK ADVERTISEMENT?  They ran tv spots.  Movie theater ads.  Plastered themselves all over the internet.  Rift was HEAVILY advertised and had MASSIVE hype.  They sold as many copies the first month as WAR, which was a huge existing IP.  They had sold over 1 million boxes within the first 3-4 months.  That is NOT weak advertising/hype.  It was at the time the third largest release (WoW, AoC) in terms of early box sales in the west.  Rift's issue has NEVER been getting people to try it.

As a matter of fact Rift have really good engame player retention due to very fast and big updates. Unlike WoW that only offers any real content for expansions.

If they have this great endgame retention they wouldnt have cut 85% of their NA servers.  ANd dont bring up the triple capacity nonsense because the merge was needed with or without the capacity increase (although Faeblight and Wolfsbane and a couple other servers didnt need it)

Also, to say WoW doesnt offer large patches is completely ridiculous.  They have a pretty big one brewing right now actually.

Reason why WoW is doing so well is the most popular IP right now. Very low PC req. Huge amount of content added over many years in several expansion. On top of that wow was always targeted for young gamers, offering very little chalange till raiding, and very convinient and casual systems. Even more so today than several years ago.

WoW's success is its on phenomenom in itself.  Vanilla WoW was a GREAT release, and great initial releases tend to gain momentum over time.  You talk about WoW having no challenge til raiding in a post defending Rift which is just silly.  Rift is very easy from 1-50 as long as you dont back into 4 mobs at once.  Vanilla WoW certainly not easier than Rift and the young gamer thing is just stupid.  Average age of a US WoW player is 30.  Studies have been done on this.

WoW is almost as casual as Free Realms or any similiar game.

Is it successful ? You bet. Is it becasue its the best game on the market ? Depends what you like. It sure offers a lot content for someone that never played it.

But at the same time the game is very unorginal, afraid to make or change or add anything new. Catters only to casual crowd. Focuses on bringing new players instead of expanding the endgame content. Is very simple and easy to master.

How is WoW very unoriginal?  They (along with EQ2) created the themepark genre.  They made the game that Rift is based off of.  Dungeon finder is probably the biggest game changed in MMOs the last 3 or 4 years (although I think its a negative) and the raid finder found a good compromise to let the people who dont like the raid lifestyle see the content and IMO is a much better mechanic for it than chronicles.

Rift hasnt exactly pushed the limits of originality.  Its core game is based off of WoW and many of its systems are directly from EQ2 (collections, mentoring housing, all copies of eq2).  A battleground with 3 teams instead of 2?  Ok maybe a little inventive but not exactly a huge innovation.

Most important thing for wow is to MAKE MONEY. Every decision they make is based around it. They dont care about making a good game. Good advertisement, sales, and futher promotion of IP is what matters.

You are absolutely nuts if you think Blizzard doesnt care about making a good game.  Yes, they are certainly greedy, no argument there.  But MoP isnt the result of a game company that doesnt care about their product.

Id rather take Rift any time, where the bad habits i mentioned above are not exisiting. Consider the fact that compared to WoW Rift had substantialy smaller player base and yet they added easily 3x "MORE" high quality content in the same period of time. And released expansion twice as big as anything wow released.

Storm Legion is NOT twice as big as WOTLK.  It is the biggest expansion since EQ1s prime, but WOTLK was plenty big, and BC wasnt too shabby either.  But ther eis no question trion's content addition has been their biggest asset.

Aparently they are doing well enough, and not milking the game dry. Instead they invest, invest and invest. And they actualy play their own game. (I know from experiance, as i talked with devs a lot in game over the years)

Where is this proof they are doing well enough?

Just answer this question:

First two CE upgrade mounts cost 10 bucks each.  The last mount cost 15, price was 5 dollars more (and offered less)

So did they raise the price a) because they could or b) because they needed the extra revenue

Either they are particpating in a little customer miling, or they arent doing as well as some think they are.  I dont think they are milking personally.

You just made your own argument invalid.

Read my counter arguments in green, in the quote above.

a dose of reality in orange

Bull shit on most of what you posted.

Go here http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/patch-notes/ and then come back and say they added no new content.

No point feeding the troll, cba to argue atm anymore as im to busy enjoying the expansion right now.

Only reason im positing atm is that we have 30 min downtime for new patch :)

Im having more fun during those 9h now than i did during whole MoP expansion inc raiding.

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168
    I played about 2 hours of Storm Legion and I was impressed. They managed to make the game not really questhub-centric: you get a story quest at the main town of one of the new zones, and you get all the other quests by either exploring a certain region of the map or butchering the mobs in your way. Quite refreshing, if you're used to the old 'grab 15 quests and do them all' model, but a bit overwhelming if you're like me and go out exploring and killing everything in your way.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Man I almost want to play Rift just for the Dimensions system.  I wish my MMO had that plus WoW's new pokemon.  With those 2 features combined, there'd be nearly limitless collecting and sidequest entertainment to be had.

Weird im getting queue times on faeblight. So many people on right now that its hard to know whats going on in the zones. First thing when i get back in is to find a way to turn off carnage quests because that shit fills up my quest log and clutters my screen really fast.

Originally posted by f0dell54

Bull shit on most of what you posted.

Go here http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/patch-notes/ and then come back and say they added no new content.

The post was claiming they doubled or tripled the content in the low/midlevel zones.

How about this:

List all this mythical content thats been added to, say, Scarwood Reach.  What makes it so different than at launch.  

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Foomerang Weird im getting queue times on faeblight. So many people on right now that its hard to know whats going on in the zones. First thing when i get back in is to find a way to turn off carnage quests because that shit fills up my quest log and clutters my screen really fast.
    I looked for you online but I wasn't sure if you could connect or the server just wasn't reporting.  I found an old guildie (Evolet) and she let me know what happened to my old guild.

Anyway I waited an hour to finally get connected but I logged off for the night because I was having issues.  Plus I don't even have the xpac.  It doesn't seem right to hog a server spot when people just want to get in and play.

So is the starter dimension lame or am I just being cranky?

Starter dimension is basically a placeholder/tutorial spot. Tempest Bay has tons of dimensions vendors and you can visit other people's dimensions if they have it set at public. I spent a couple hours just visiting people's homes. Some were very busy and already had a lot of stuff setup. Seeing some really creative stuff like floating houses (player made houses from putting together wood planks, slabs of rock, etc), weird stuff like m.c. escher abstract stuff. A couple people bought the most expensive dimension at 1500 plat. Its pretty sweet, basically you get the plot of land around ember watch with the waterfall caves and little island with the palm trees. You can +1 people's pads if you like em.

The dimensions vendors sell all types of items, interactive music boxes, bartenders, lighting, furniture, you can even buy pvp specific decorations with your prestige points. The best, though, are the crafted decorations. You can acquire them for your specific professions via crafting currencies/marks and they use mats found across all 1-60 zones which is cool because low level crafters can earn some decent cash along the way. Crafters make all the really interesting stuff like exotic rugs, aquariums, plush beds to name a few. Across all vendors and crafted items there are hundreds of items already and knowing Trion, they will be churning out new items to craft and buy on a constant basis.

Overall, dimensions has a very strong presence in the game and it feels like a major game system. It is actually pretty overwhelming which is a nice feeling for a change haha.

I have not done any Hunt Rifts yet but I will soon. I messed with the new mage soul and its pretty fun. Still tweaking it with other souls to find a fit I really like. Did a few IA's which so far are mostly the same but the boss fights are way more epic. I did a new *minor* air Rift and it played like a raid rift. The phase 5 boss fight was like 10 minutes and he had some crazy ass mechanics.

I have not seen the world boss running around yet. Ive barely uncovered 3% of the map. I havent done any new invasions yet either but I saw one on the map on the other continent tonight and had no idea how to get there it was all gray heh.

There are some new layers to crafting. You can actually craft augments now which is nice and they have added a ton. The new armor skins are much improved and I gotta give props to the art dept because they look very clean and well designed. Cant wait to make some new wardrobe looks. Tons of new recipes. I stopped after outfitter because its just too much info right now ;P

The landmass finally feels really wide open. There are large areas with sparse mobs which felt weird for this game at first but after an hour or so, i was happy they finally gave us some breathing room. Tempest Bay is gorgeous. It feels about the size of the Blood Elf city in WoW. Even has its own instance ala Dalaran. Overall the graphics are a lot sharper. I run the game on ultra and i'm seeing better framerates than before so I assume the engine has been optimized a bit.

There are some lame things that are a turnoff for me. I dont like how the carnage quests autofill your quest log. They need to implement an option to auto reject carnage quests like next patch cause it sucks having those things pop up like spam and clutter your quest log and screen real estate. The kill x of y quests are way too much in instant adventures. Kill 35 dudes for one step? ugh. Kill 40 of another dude next step? fuck that. Every 3 or 4 steps theres a cool boss fight which is interesting but man the grind to reach a cool step of the IA is not fun. I would imagine thats how some people felt with GW2's events where you do boring crap in order to trigger something interesting. The gear inflation is way over the top. I understand people liking to feel more powerful but we're gonna end up like 4 or 5 times more powerful at 60 than we are at 50. Im just glad we can mentor down because that kept the zones interesting and fresh for me in the past. I also dont like the laundry list of new currencies. Seems liek every other vendor I visited had some items for currencies or other items that you collect and turn in that Ive never heard of. Im going to have to figure out a bunch of new marks/tokens/stackable/tradeable items which is mildly annoying. Trading in marks for other marks is dumb imo and ive seen a few vendors that have stuff like that.

Tomorrow Im gonna seek out hunt rifts, that world boss, and track down invasions and regular rifts as well. Thats my favorite pve anyway so screw the quests and IAs for now.

So far its a great expansion.

If you want to look me up, my mage is named Lealijra, defiant, faeblight, guild nocturne.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

After a full night with the expansion, I was rewarded when making it to Tempest Bay.  There's just something about this place that makes me feel great when i am there.  The music is really nice there and the feel of the whole place is both dark and inspirational.  Outstanding job thus far by Trion.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Once they add more starting zones, I'm willing to give the game another try. With just two starting zones, I just get bored so quickly.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Maverick827Maverick827 Member Posts: 71
    I held off on buying the expansion. I need to see if Trion is going to stick with their 90% focus on raiding mentality.

Thanks for the update on Dimensions Foom.  I was expecting more a housing start like EQ2 so that was my bad.  I never read anything to lead me to that conclusion, it was just my assumption having played EQ2 for so long.I will look you up.  I'm on Faeblight and mostly Guardian - Torskaldr (50 rogue), Fyrion (50 mage), and leveling Tormuth (2x cleric).  I have a defiant rogue Garron that is low level.

Cool i will add those names to my friends list and keep an eye out for ya. Exploring more dimensions this morning before work. They feel more like player created instances than just a house. So much customization and interesting ideas. It has changed the way i play rift. I have definitely settled into a more sandbox/rp mindset now. Working on my place, visiting other players creations, fishing crafting cooking. Mix in world events and zone invasions for pve content and you have a very well rounded mmorpg experience without doing a single quest or stepping foot in a single dungeon or raid. It is non linear progression and its something i have missed this past year without swg. Feeling very much at home.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Samhael
     and the servers aren't even up yet. 

Its time to give Blizzard the creit they are due on this one:  They are pros at expansion launch.  Flip a switch at midnight and everyone can enjoy.  thats the way to do it.

You're kidding right? I am a Blizzard fan and the first day of the recent MoP launch was awful. No one could play. it was down for most of the first day.

• templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181

The first dimension sucks.  It's just a tiny plot of land with an outhouse style building from the shores in Silverwood.  At least in EQ2 they give you an actual house and some decent starter items.

The great thing about the dimensions is that it uses free placement, rotation, x/y/z axis, and scaling.  The controls for this need to be improved (a lot), but that will come with some patching I suppose.

Not the worst launch ever, even though I spent an hour trying to get into the game.  Still not very polished and what I would expect out of Trion.  With their experience this should have gone smooth as glass.

I think you and many others missed the point of what Trion did here. You are actually saying "the empty space you get in Minecraft sucks" . Of course it sucks, you are suppose to do something with it. You'd think after the success of Minecraft people would -want- to build their own houses from scratch, now suddenly people want their houses handed to them so they can hang paintings on the wall? Seriously?

The fact that you can scale a single stone brick to the size of a stone "floor" covering the entire area implies you can flip that same thing and make a wall. You can build a house with 6 bricks. I find the ability to do that pretty amazing. I've been through LOTRO and EQ2, having a predefined house with x-rooms to place a bed and a table is not as satisfying as building the entire thing yourself.

I won't be surprised if people are going to get other players to help them build inside their dimensions (or even pay them?),  since it can be done.

I also think Trion wants to use this as a testbed for "player generated content". You don't have to build a house! Build a jumping puzzle and invite players to play YOUR content!  It will take very little effort from this current design for Trion to add more and more "objects" to use inside dimensions (quest givers? mobs to kill? )...think "design your own dungeon" here.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    this game is so cool and awesome .totally love it :)
  • RolleZRolleZ Member UncommonPosts: 42
    If you are used to smooth and stable framerate, do NOT buy this game.
  • serapholseraphol Member Posts: 33

I had two problems with Rift when I tried it in beta (3 if you count the ugly character designs). The first was how unbalanced the souls were, especially in pvp. As flexible as having that many souls made you, it also made it impossible to balance, so there ended up being cookie-cutter pvp builds. You couldn't go into a BG with your favorite souls and expect to compete. The second thing was just how mind-numbingly monotonous it got doing kill and fetch quests over and over and over again without any sort of variation. When WoW adopted the idea as a departure from straight grinding, it was welcome, but Rift (and WoW subsequentially) has taken it too far.

I want to try Rift again, but I'm afraid of these issues. Someone tell me whether they're still a factor.