Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Ascended ring pic ANet made is misleading

ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

So, most of us have seen the Ascended ring pic ANet posted in their blog. In case you missed it, it's this:

As you can see, it gives +2 to four stats and +3% Magic Find. Initially, I though this isn't a big deal. However, you have to keep in mind that Magic Find is this ring's main stat. The +3% to it is not like a +3 to Power. It's equivalent to almost 70 stat points in a "normal" stat or +3% crit damage.

So, if ANet introduces more Ascended gear, it will be noticeably more powerful than Exotics. That's alright by itself (IMO), but the fact that they posted this specific ring is disconcerting. Of course, it could be an accident, but it looks more like damage control and an attempt to BS players into believing Ascended items won't affect anything stats wise.

Comments

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Good analysis. I would live to see a side-by-side of an exotic and an ascended with regular primary stats, no +% stats.
  • GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    they call it "ascended" gear for a good reason :)

• LordEbolaLordEbola Member UncommonPosts: 51
    looks more like its +2 to 2 stats +3 to 2 stats and +7% to magic find rather than what you posted
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I can all but guarantee you that if there were 3 non % stats there, say, power/precision/vitality, you would only see the 3rd stat go up by 2 or 3 as well, just like the other primary stats.  There's no way you'll see a 42% (3/7) increase in vitality from exotic to ascended.  I'd be willing to bet all my in game gold on it.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    My assuption is that the infusion slot will not contain any of those types of stats and that it will be a gated stat for content.  similar to the crappy gated stat LOTRO used for a while.
  • SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    My assuption is that the infusion slot will not contain any of those types of stats and that it will be a gated stat for content.  similar to the crappy gated stat LOTRO used for a while.

Same here. Just like when you had to infuse your armor in GW1 to be able to deal with the mursaat. I knew that Anet weren't dumb and won't release gear that will make you much more powerful than exotics. The difference in stats is minimal.

Originally posted by Scalpless

So, if ANet introduces more Ascended gear, it will be noticeably more powerful than Exotics. That's alright by itself (IMO), but the fact that they posted this specific ring is disconcerting. Of course, it could be an accident, but it looks more like damage control and an attempt to BS players into believing Ascended items won't affect anything stats wise.

How about no? Ascended gear won't be noticeably more powerful than exotics. Your main point is about the big boost in magic find, how magic find will make you stronger? And don't tell me a +5 in power is noticeable...

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by SirFubar
    Originally posted by Scalpless

How about no? Ascended gear won't be noticeably more powerful than exotics. Your main point is about the big boost in magic find, how magic find will make you stronger? And don't tell me a +5 in power is noticeable...

HIs main point wasn't about magic find but about how much a different third stat would receive if it was there instead of magic find.  His reasoning goes that the magic find on that item increases from 7% to 10%, resuling in a 3% increase.  On gear, 3% magic find = 67 stat points for any other stat (power/precision/vitality/toughness/healing/etc).  So he's expecting to see an ascended ring that has something like the following stats:

50 Power

50 Precision

159 Vitality (67 + 25 + 67)

18 Power

18 Precision

In this example, the ring has vitality instead of magic find.  The vitality on an exotic ring would have 67 from the ring and 25 from a jewel of the same type.  He's saying 3% magic find = 67 vitality in terms of stat value on current gear, so expect to see an additoinal 67 (or about a 42% increase) of whatever third stat is present on the time.  So he's not arguing that "5 power" will be noticeable, but rather that 5 power, 5 precision and 67 [insert 3rd stat here] will be noticeable.  It's also funny how you intentionally misrepresented the stat increases you didn't misinterpret (the 5 power and 5 precision) by suddenly reducing it to only 5 power to suit your argument that it couldn't possibly be noticeable.  Note that even 5 power and 5 precision across 6 pieces of armor, 5 trinkets and a weapon = 60 power and 60 precision.  Certainly not extreme, but certainly not negligible.  

Nevertheless, I don't think that'll be the case at all.  I'd expect to see something much more like: 

50 Power

50 Precision

70 Vitality (67 from gear + 3)

18 Power

18 Precision

29 Vitality (25 from gem + 4)

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Thank you and yes, hopefully, it'll be like that. We don't know for sure yet, but this comparison pic is very fishy. If there really is an increase of 67 points in a primary stat or +3% crit damage, the difference in stats between Ascended gear and Exotics will be quite big, especially after we'll get Ascended armor and weapons.

As I said, that doesn't bother me much by itself, but if this is an attempt to soften the blow, I don't think it'll work.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    It mislead only the unenlightened...
  • AegisSagaAegisSaga Member Posts: 33

If you have two bad news to report, it's better to say one, wait a while, and then say the other. People will be eased into it.

1. "They said no vertical progression of gear, but at least look at the stats, the difference is small."

-- A few weeks later --

2. "So the stat difference isn't that small but it's fine because..blah..blah."

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

There will be a stat difference. The difference on any individual piece is small, but the total of a full set of Ascended gear vs a full set of Exotic gear will be more significant.

But more importantly is the precedent that is set. This will not be the last new dungeon or the last new gear tier. A few months from now there will be another new dungeon with another new gear tier that is only a small amount higher than Ascended but the difference between the new tier and Exotic will start to be large. Repeat every few months.

We've all seen this story before in countless MMOs. This wasn't supposed to happen in GW 2 but here it is. Anybody expecting the gear progression train to stop at Ascended is kidding themselves. If you don't like gear progression, Arenanet is making it clear you should bail on GW 2 now.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

I dunno why people are SO damn negative about this. GW2 needs char progression and now people whine that it will be like WoW. 

To date, there is no real character progression except for legendary weps. 

Im glad that the ascended gear will only be obtainable by drops. I wish this was the case for exotics as well. Would bring a meaning to PvE, except for farming gold in cursed shore to buy exotics at TP.