Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: High End Ascended Gear Revealed

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by meddyck
    They just need to change WvW so it only uses PvP gear the same as sPvP and tPvP. Then there would be a complete separation between PvE gear progression and PvP. Raid fans who like having to get gear from dungeon A in order to do dungeon B to get gear you need to do dungeon C could then do that to their hearts' content without forcing WvW players to have to grind raids every few months to keep their gear up to date. Problem solved.

Why don't we instead make raids about tactics, skill, and planning, rather than gear? Locking out content from everyone and promoting elitism isn't a good idea.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

This a pure money grab.  Keep players playing longer.  They make more gem purchases.  Add new armor and all those folks in exotics are going to buy Transmutation Stones when they get their new gear.  Also, power creep, it's bad mmmkay.  So yeah I love GW2, awesome game and all, but these specific changes are probably what are going to make me barely bother to play and run directly counter to much of what appealed to me about the game.

Btw official forum thread is like 5500 replies and over 50k views.  Also might be worth pointing out that all negative threads have been merged into one collossal thread while most if not all pro threads have been left entirely alone.  That's based on my observation there.  I'm certainly open to being wrong.

Steam: Neph

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Whatever happenes to gw2 will be skilled not gear based
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Just copy pasting it.

"We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.” – Colin Johanson

This was before release.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    There is a 109 page thread with 5400 posts and 50,000 views and counting about this.  Think it has split the community.
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    There is a 109 page thread with 5400 posts and 50,000 views and counting about this.  Think it has split the community.

lol there's definitely a split,but it certainly appears to lean a certain way.  Granted unhappy folks are usually more vocal.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

This a pure money grab.  Keep players playing longer.  They make more gem purchases.  Add new armor and all those folks in exotics are going to buy Transmutation Stones when they get their new gear.  Also, power creep, it's bad mmmkay.  So yeah I love GW2, awesome game and all, but these specific changes are probably what are going to make me barely bother to play and run directly counter to much of what appealed to me about the game.

Btw official forum thread is like 5500 replies and over 50k views.  Also might be worth pointing out that all negative threads have been merged into one collossal thread while most if not all pro threads have been left entirely alone.  That's based on my observation there.  I'm certainly open to being wrong.

So you expect them to want to keep players not playing? should just stop adding content, cause "its a money grab"? Please explain what are you trying to say. Of course they want people to keep playing, EVERY GAME wants that.

• AdmiralWolverineAdmiralWolverine Member UncommonPosts: 29
    This is sort of like what you had to do during some of the guildwars prophecies campaign missions with the mursaats since if your armor wasnt infused it would be near instant death facing them due to there spectral agnoy attack, honestly i think this is a great idea.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Destructhor
    I am all for gear progrreason(within reason) but putting blatant gear checks on content sorta fucks the core of the game and the "take anyone to a dungeon" mentality that this game was built on. Content should be harder without BiS gear not impossible...

they tried doing that but people bitched about dungeons being to hard so now they are switching to a gear check system

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    "LFM FotM Infusion 76 or higher ONLY"

You can expect to see things like in Lion's Arch from now on. If any one piece of content gives superior rewards, however slightly better, it's the only content anyone will do, so yes, this will affect the entire playerbase. It is not "purely optional".

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Well, this is a step in the right direction. I may just start playing again down the road. This news has given me hope.

Cosmetic Progression + Vertical Progression = Yes.

Joined - July 2004

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167
    Time to start farming fire gear?

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Wow, this is totally bullshit. They took the GW1 prophecies infusion mechanic and turned it into a new armour tier with stats. So exotic is not max anymore. This is a complete disappointment. What happened to the 'only grind for looks' idea? This is nothing but a crappy tiered gear treadmill ala WoW.

What an incredible weak cave in for the whining of players who want their mindnumbing gear grind. This will unleash a shitstorm on the official forums.

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

I'm furious and saddened at the same time. I think that if this goes through, this will kill the genre for me. I can't stand to grind ages and pray to the RNG gods for better gear in a never ending gear ladder.Don't tell me that this could be a ont time thing,they haven't really said one or another but the blog post heavily implies this isn't a one time thing. Expect more tiers in a year.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Read and take it as you will. Gating of content or not.

“_Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must. The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge._”
    For now, Infusions slots can only be found in gear of a new rarity type: Ascended."

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

judging them for deciding to give ppl what they want aint realy fair. its for the hardcore gear grinders who felt the cosmetic way was not enough.

People who really want this stuff will have something to work toward.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage
    "LFM FotM Infusion 76 or higher ONLY"

You can expect to see things like in Lion's Arch from now on. If any one piece of content gives superior rewards, however slightly better, it's the only content anyone will do, so yes, this will affect the entire playerbase. It is not "purely optional".

In other MMOs, I must farm Raid#1 to be eligible for Raid#2, based on gearscore requirement.

Here, can I farm FotM difficulty#1 to earn enough ascended gear/infusions to be eligible for difficulty#2? As I understand it whether we like it or not, upon completion of 3 nodes players will be ported out and the dungeon difficulty will increase.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by Destructhor
    I am all for gear progrreason(within reason) but putting blatant gear checks on content sorta fucks the core of the game and the "take anyone to a dungeon" mentality that this game was built on. Content should be harder without BiS gear not impossible...

That's exactly what it is, it's harder without Infused gear. Like many have said, it's similar to GW1 where you have to have made your gear Infused or else you have a big chance of getting one-shotted by Mursaat NPCs. I won't be suprised if these guys ARE Mursaat.

This is not a game.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    "Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two."-Anet

this makes sense for ' Ascend', I mean we have seen exotic slots in market place empty-exotics was bound to come sooner or later, not to be found in black lions chests!-and this seems like a fair progression.

Iam guessing for many players haunted by tireles grindy mmos, it would raise  an eyebrow.

but iam hoping there is a twist to all this- like SM and Explr...Anet is good and making things BETTER!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by coxyroxy

judging them for deciding to give ppl what they want aint realy fair. its for the hardcore gear grinders who felt the cosmetic way was not enough.

The problem is that other play styles, especially casuals, get the shaft yet again, where hardcore content somehow gets the best rewards even in what was suppose to be strictly a casual oriented game.  They have espoused all along that no single play style would be rewarded above another.  Now they are making liars of themselves.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by coxyroxy

All along, I've been saying that they need more of an endgame, but that gear progression would be the worst possible way to go about it.  

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    what was suppose to be strictly a casual oriented game.

Now, I really dont know the answer to this. Did they actually say that in those words, Or was it community stigma that reinforced that?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    what was suppose to be strictly a casual oriented game.

Now, I really dont know the answer to this. Did they actually say that in those words, Or was it community stigma that reinforced that?

Exactly, they've stated multiple times that they want a variety of content to appeal to a variety of player types.

People sometimes seem to hear what they want to hear though, they never said it was 'strictly a casual oriented game', ever, that's just people projecting.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

I would agree with the frustration over this if their intentions were to continually add gear grinds and this wasn't just a one time case of them buffing up what's widely agreed to be a fairly weak and unrewarding progression system. If the game had launched with an additional tier no one would be batting an eyelid, because the scaling is so soft it's a non issue anyway.

As it stands though, I'd like to say people raging over it will look back and feel silly, but the truth is they probably won't even remember it.

We'll see, my moneys on sensational over reaction though.

Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

So you expect them to want to keep players not playing? should just stop adding content, cause "its a money grab"? Please explain what are you trying to say. Of course they want people to keep playing, EVERY GAME wants that.

They should want to keep players playing.  They should add content.  You don't hear me complaining about added dynamic events.  I'm complaining about added power creep that they promised not to have in their game.  Added content does not have to be through vertical progression and gear treadmills.  Horizontal progression is perfectly viable and other even better solutions have been suggested as well.  Arena Net literally stated they would not be creating a gear treadmill and they have gone against that design decision entirely.