Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Rift: Storm Legion Review In Progress - Part 1

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Rift is expanding in a big way with Storm Legion, an addition that will bring new souls, new zones, and much more into the game. We will be discussing some of our thoughts about Storm Legion over the next couple of weeks before giving it our final and official review. See what we have to say this week and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

When I first played Rift during open beta 2 in 2011 I was blown away. I had not expected much from the game to start with. I had never heard of Trion and at the time was looking forward to the release of Tera. Once I learned Tera was not slated to be released until 2012 I decided to give Rift a try to fill the time void.  I can remember the moment Rift sunk its claws in me and would not let go.  I was playing as a Dwarf Warrior.  Guardians were the only faction available that test weekend. I had recently ascended and was headed north up the road in Silverwood to the Argent Glade.  Along the way a fire rift opened up.  I was only level 6 and this rift was level 8, and it was Elite.  I didn't stand a chance of survival.  On the edge of the rift next to a tree I saw a little sparkle. While I now know that what I was looking at was an artifact at the time I was completely clueless, all I knew was that I had to go and pick it up.  I was killed no less than 4 times as I worked out the path of the mobs inside the level 8 elite rift. I finally picked up the sparkle and collected it, and while I collected the sparkle, Trion collected me as a fan.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Rift: Storm Legion Review in Progress Part 1.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• insideout321insideout321 Member Posts: 71

As a former rift player i still think they need new starting areas, while the soul system is nice to change roles on the fly , to  make an alt and redo all the same things all over again unless you like to instant adventure your way to cap is boring to me. Not a game breaker though depending on how you look at it.

Great game though and housing is a great improvement as well. I headed back to eq2 wich i played 5 years before i left and tried out rift .The amount of content along with 87,000 items in the game and thousands of quests and housing keeps me more than occupied for years to come.Im sure one day ill move on but for now im satisfied.

The reason i did leave eq2 was due to the hack that demolished my guild but i have since remade a new guild and am happy where im at for now..Good luck you all of you in rift and happy gaming to you all . Enjoy your stay there its a great place.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

I find it kinda sad that this part 1 of the review in progress is more a review of the dungeon already available for over a week and a description of what RIFT is and what the expansion adds (just numbers though). Little content has actually been reviewed here... Other than that it's an okay read.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I think it's a great read and very well written. RIFT was my game for 6 months and this makes me want to go back to it. You're my new favorite author on MMORPG. Good job Robert.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    I think its good introduction to the expansion review. Gives you perspective. And i disagree about new starting zones. Its not wow with 101 classes. You have souls here and callings. Most ppl play 1-2 characters anyway.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Two new races and two starter areas would of been nice but saying that, rift is number one when it comes to content updates and dev love.

Trion improved 1-50 zones A LOT, since the game was released. Its not wow where they dont touch old content.

Impressive ammount of new elements, quests, mechanics, rifts and even new mosters or bosses where added to the 1-50 zones over time. Only thing that didint change is the 1-5 experiance but personaly i think its Tutorial, so it should not matter.

Devoting content for the sake of doing pointless inferrior zones with new themes is a waste of resources, like in wow. So much forgotten content over the years it almost makes you cry.

I think they did really good job with focusing on endgame in the expansion while still adding some new mechanics that ppl can access from lv 1 like new souls, housing ( bit later on) and all the content revamped from 1-50 sine the initial release.

Its not like they released new calling majority of old players already got max lv characters. On top of tha large number of ppl that never experianced end game content got they characters at lv 20 while playing the unlimited trial. Leveling is significaly faster now that it was back then, becasue of all the new quests and Instant adventures.

People that never really tried the game properly or didint play it since the first month should try the unlimited trian and see the diference.

I had discussion in other topic about the starer zones so i will repost my reply here.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Khebeln
    I think its good introduction to the expansion review. Gives you perspective. And i disagree about new starting zones. Its not wow with 101 classes. You have souls here and callings. Most ppl play 1-2 characters anyway.

This. 

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    I tried this on Rift Lite and was also blown away by it. By the time my toon hit 20 it was only a matter of deciding which version to buy. Very excited about the housing and am having a blast in the game so far. Looking forward to the rest of your review, Rob.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Devoting content for the sake of doing pointless inferrior zones with new themes is a waste of resources, like in wow. So much forgotten content over the years it almost makes you cry.
    Refining, redoing or adding to the old content, especially starter zones, is far from pointless.

You dont do it for the people that are already playing the game and making alts, you do it for the people that are new to the game.

You do it to bring in new players and keep them, which WoW has not had a problem with and Rift has.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    You can talk all you want about content in this game because it does have it.  What it does not have is good systems.
  • templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    You can talk all you want about content in this game because it does have it.  What it does not have is good systems.

I disagree, the soul system is of the more flexible and complex character builders of all the MMOs i've played recently. You can literally play with one character any way you like , and can switch instantly on top of that.  

I assume you feel GW2s rather rigid system where you are basically locked into a playstyle from lvl 40 is a better system? GW2 give you 8 classes, forcing you to roll 8 characters, guess what, Rift gives you all 8 classes (9 with the expac) in 1 character, especially now with the expansion (spellcasting warriors and sword wielding mages etc) .  So that means 9 souls per "role" , of which there are 4 . So we're sitting at 4 x 9 classes, since a single soul is probably not far from a GW2 class in terms of the amount of abilities it gets.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Refining, redoing or adding to the old content, especially starter zones, is far from pointless.

[Reply by Khebeln] Yes and thats exactly what Rift did since release to all the 1-50 content, instead of adding unrefinied and lacking in content new zones, they doubled or tripled the content in all zones, added new mechanics, instant adventures, monsters, boss fights, colectables, pvp objectives and much more. All in already existing zones.

You dont do it for the people that are already playing the game and making alts, you do it for the people that are new to the game.

[Reply by Khebeln] I agree. But Rift is not alt making game to begin with. You have only 4 classes. There is so much content in the endgame its hard to get it all on even 1 character.

What you propose is counter productive in a long term. Instead of making half empty new zones for new players they decided to spent all this time since release to keep updating exisiting ones, and evolve the world.

This way it is actualy focusing on "NEW" players instead of returing people that never went past lv 20. Players like that commonly know as "locust", need more new starting zones to satisfy their sense of clearing same thing with a new skin.

You do it to bring in new players and keep them, which WoW has not had a problem with and Rift has.

[Reply by Khebeln] This and that is completly unrelated. Rift problem was week advertisement, low hype (No one had any expectations) and completly unknown ip. Not to mention considerable PC requirements, even today (Rift is CPU capped).

As a matter of fact Rift have really good engame player retention due to very fast and big updates. Unlike WoW that only offers any real content for expansions.

Reason why WoW is doing so well is the most popular IP right now. Very low PC req. Huge amount of content added over many years in several expansion. On top of that wow was always targeted for young gamers, offering very little chalange till raiding, and very convinient and casual systems. Even more so today than several years ago.

WoW is almost as casual as Free Realms or any similiar game.

Is it successful ? You bet. Is it becasue its the best game on the market ? Depends what you like. It sure offers a lot content for someone that never played it.

But at the same time the game is very unorginal, afraid to make or change or add anything new. Catters only to casual crowd. Focuses on bringing new players instead of expanding the endgame content. Is very simple and easy to master.

Most important thing for wow is to MAKE MONEY. Every decision they make is based around it. They dont care about making a good game. Good advertisement, sales, and futher promotion of IP is what matters.

Id rather take Rift any time, where the bad habits i mentioned above are not exisiting. Consider the fact that compared to WoW Rift had substantialy smaller player base and yet they added easily 3x "MORE" high quality content in the same period of time. And released expansion twice as big as anything wow released.

Aparently they are doing well enough, and not milking the game dry. Instead they invest, invest and invest. And they actualy play their own game. (I know from experiance, as i talked with devs a lot in game over the years)

You just made your own argument invalid.

Read my counter arguments in green, in the quote above.

• templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by templarx

I disagree, the soul system is of the more flexible and complex character builders of all the MMOs i've played recently. You can literally play with one character any way you like , and can switch instantly on top of that.  

I assume you feel GW2s rather rigid system where you are basically locked into a playstyle from lvl 40 is a better system? GW2 give you 8 classes, forcing you to roll 8 characters, guess what, Rift gives you all 8 classes (9 with the expac) in 1 character, especially now with the expansion (spellcasting warriors and sword wielding mages etc) .  So that means 9 souls per "role" , of which there are 4 . So we're sitting at 4 x 9 classes, since a single soul is probably not far from a GW2 class in terms of the amount of abilities it gets.

I think what is being referred to here is game systems, not character building.  The soul system is very cool.  I like how my rogue or mage can do more than one thing.  I don't really like the new class changes though.  Not a single one of my old builds works and many of the souls don't even play the same.

Ok, so in the absence of any clarity, which systems are we talking about? Most of the systems in the game is straight from WoW with a few enhancements tacked on. Hell there's even fishing now, with lures and fishing trophies .

Their dynamic event "system" aka "Rift system" is imho the best one i am aware of.  GuildWars 2s "dynamic group events"  (more like static group quests if you've played Rift) are nowhere near the stuff going on in Rift. I'm now talking invasions, NPCs running amock all over the map, random rifts and the player's ability to interact with these rifts (including the new Rift abilities like spawning your own little NPC army to take down footholds and upgrading wardstones). This is all in the open world, not in some "instance" .  

Or is this a "sandbox vs themepark" discussion?  

As for the changes to souls, i was away for a year , and i'm glad they did what they did with the soul "system" . The premade  builds and the ease of picking one and fine tuning from there is brilliant. I would never have gotten back if i had to redo all my souls from scratch , knowing how much they changed. Now i can literally load up my rogue and go "hmm, i need to work on a tank build, oh what do we have here, a rogue-tank premade all ready to go" . They even load your action bar up for you , and off you go.

Its a matter of personal opinion. It varies from person to person. But you cant deny that Rift is a very good game.

I admit i would like to see Terra like combat in Rift, and mabe artstyle closer to D&D standards as the one it offers is quite offen to bizzare or just plain weird. But then again half of it is conected to tastes.

We all now that one persons Heaven can be abothers Hell. Its the same thing :)

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    once you actually start leveling up past 50 in the new zones you will see its just more of the same which kinda sucks unless you like the ember isle style of questing. With the direction the game took with the new soul trees about the only thing good I can comment on after playing the beta for awhile is housing and the capes. I actually just cancelled my preorder and account after 1.11 because of the ridiculous amount of nerfs they are doing to the souls. Also the carnage quests are so gimmicky and slow I just couldnt do it anymore. With the removal of conquest and no direction even on the board for the new conquest map , and only one new warfront I couldnt merit a sub to this game again nor spending 40 bucks on an expansion that reminds me of ember isle all over again. I think more will see this once they actually let the shininess wear off some , I give it about a month before the servers are back to low to medium pop.
    Originally posted by cronius77
    once you actually start leveling up past 50 in the new zones you will see its just more of the same which kinda sucks unless you like the ember isle style of questing. With the direction the game took with the new soul trees about the only thing good I can comment on after playing the beta for awhile is housing and the capes. I actually just cancelled my preorder and account after 1.11 because of the ridiculous amount of nerfs they are doing to the souls. Also the carnage quests are so gimmicky and slow I just couldnt do it anymore. With the removal of conquest and no direction even on the board for the new conquest map , and only one new warfront I couldnt merit a sub to this game again nor spending 40 bucks on an expansion that reminds me of ember isle all over again. I think more will see this once they actually let the shininess wear off some , I give it about a month before the servers are back to low to medium pop.

Conquest is only Temporarly off till new players reach lv cap. Out of all the Rift zones i loved Ember issle the most as it was the least linear and rail based zone. Ember Isle was more of a Sandbox like zone.

Changes to souls are nothig new as they change those things almost every patch. But obviously its more drasting with new expansion and souls as they had to balance things out.

Personaly im not really interested in pvp in Rift, and rift never was primarly focused on that to begin with.

In other words if you loook for pve fun you will find more than you where barganing for, but if you want pvp you might be disipointed.

Im happy they focused on pve tho.

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52
    This xpac is great. Lets just hope the launch goes smoothly

Conquest is only Temporarly off till new players reach lv cap. Out of all the Rift zones i loved Ember issle the most as it was the least linear and rail based zone. Ember Isle was more of a Sandbox like zone.

Changes to souls are nothig new as they change those things almost every patch. But obviously its more drasting with new expansion and souls as they had to balance things out.

Personaly im not really interested in pvp in Rift, and rift never was primarly focused on that to begin with.

In other words if you loook for pve fun you will find more than you where barganing for, but if you want pvp you might be disipointed.

I can name about 5 other games that have WAY better pve than Rift honestly starting with SWTOR GW2 TSW Tera etc , its all just an opinion of course. I can agree EI was not as linear but it was far from sandboxish as its just quest hubs you can go grab anytime you wish to do more quests. Games also do not nerf no where near as much as rift does either , every patch they NEVER can get the souls right . WOW would be a close second but no where near as close as rift . They continue to make builds completely unusable and each patch is a new op soul set . I cancelled my sub and pre order after playing 1.11 and what an atrocious patch it was to destroy rogues and warrior survivability builds. Any game that makes warriors the least desirable tanks and instead makes clerics tells you a lot about the people in charge making the desicions.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Trion improved 1-50 zones A LOT, since the game was released. Its not wow where they dont touch old content.

Impressive ammount of new elements, quests, mechanics, rifts and even new mosters or bosses where added to the 1-50 zones over time. Only thing that didint change is the 1-5 experiance but personaly i think its Tutorial, so it should not matter.

I think they did really good job with focusing on endgame in the expansion while still adding some new mechanics that ppl can access from lv 1 like new souls, housing ( bit later on) and all the content revamped from 1-50 sine the initial release.

Its not like they released new calling majority of old players already got max lv characters. On top of tha large number of ppl that never experianced end game content got they characters at lv 20 while playing the unlimited trial. Leveling is significaly faster now that it was back then, becasue of all the new quests and Instant adventures.

People that never really tried the game properly or didint play it since the first month should try the unlimited trian and see the diference.

I had discussion in other topic about the starer zones so i will repost my reply here.

What exactly has changed in these zones?

Lets say, Gloamwood.  You still do the same quests you did at launch.  Oh, now you can IA.  Which repeats many of the quests anyway.  Oh and the generic world event rifts and invasions are there to dilute the flavor of the zone.  I dont need to see 'Hammer and Flame' invasion as every other invasion no matter which zone im in.  

And you even just said they have players at level 20 from the unlimited trial.  Why not make 20-50 better for them instead of saying 'yeah, try and get through this as fast as you can.  we dont care about this level range, neither should you'

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Any game that makes warriors the least desirable tanks and instead makes clerics tells you a lot about the people in charge making the desicions.

This is actually a pro-rift thing here.  Why shouldnt clerics be strong tanks?  Clerics have typically been masters of divine magic and able to weild heavy armor.  That sounds like a recipe for tanking to me.

In fact thats the real issue here: why cant some clerics wear plate?  The fact that the callings are really: Plate, Chan, Leather and Cloth is kind of lazy IMO

I advise anyone on the fence that played Rift before to read the patch notes today before even touching this game again . Its one huge nerf patch to just about all healing and dps builds. They even nerfed beastmaster and reaver again... they seriously have about the worst devs ive ever seen at a studio in my life . Also Strangiato you been playing DnD way to much :P

I can name about 5 other games that have WAY better pve than Rift honestly starting with SWTOR GW2 TSW Tera etc , its all just an opinion of course. I can agree EI was not as linear but it was far from sandboxish as its just quest hubs you can go grab anytime you wish to do more quests. Games also do not nerf no where near as much as rift does either , every patch they NEVER can get the souls right . WOW would be a close second but no where near as close as rift . They continue to make builds completely unusable and each patch is a new op soul set . I cancelled my sub and pre order after playing 1.11 and what an atrocious patch it was to destroy rogues and warrior survivability builds. Any game that makes warriors the least desirable tanks and instead makes clerics tells you a lot about the people in charge making the desicions.

From what i noticed its more of a frustration  towards changing your favourite builds than anything else.

SWTOR was literaly STATIC online game with singleplayer proggression. There is very little to do if at all outside raiding or warzones. The game world feels dead.

GW2 have very vibrant and alive world with tons of content but once you reach lv 80 all that content is obsolete and pointless as there are no mechanics that will use it. Not to mention all 3 parts of the game are split apart created 3 games for the price of 1.

Game is extremly casual. There is some hope in the next patch tho as t hey plan to add new dungeons and new gear progression. In the end tho the game is very simple with very little to no configuration or depth.

TSW Very similar to swtor in regards to game progression. Singleplayer feel and dead lifeless world. Not as bad as swtor tho. Best visuals on the market, with the best performance. Only true dx11 engine right now that uses teslation in mmo games. Some of the best engame dungeons on the market (truly amazing). No levels and classes. Full freedom of creating and developing the character.

Tera Apart from best combat system and fun innovative dungeons, pretty artstyle and visuals, the game itslef was not offering anything new or innovative in pve department. All quests where made in lienar way. Instead of focusing on kill quests that would make the gameplay a lot more fun there was lots of usless runing. A lot of in game systems was unfinished, like the whole vanarchy system and very hard to operate. Only 2 endgame dungeons and 2 refubrished low lv dungeons.

Rift  Rift have clasical tab targeted combat, but offers highest customizability among all the available mmo games right now. (excluding Eve online). Game offers a lot of new and unique pve systems and vibrant almost sandbox like word (tho its more of a fake sandbox, but it feels alive). rifts, zone events, pvp rifts, onslaughts, dynamic monster AI, chronicles, seasonal and main plot story events with several stages influenced by players actions for every new patch. Huge amount of high quality content for a very low price of subscribtion. Game offers only basic pvp mechanics like warfronts, or open world pvp with rewards and ranks. Only new thing for pvp players is the Conquest mode creating new 3 faction pvp system.

And all that and more was available before the expansion. I could go on for a long time trying to list it all.

Then again if someone dont like this kind of gameplay he will say this is crap, or that the game is bad.

But thats just life. Cant satisfy everyone.

I advise anyone on the fence that played Rift before to read the patch notes today before even touching this game again . Its one huge nerf patch to just about all healing and dps builds. They even nerfed beastmaster and reaver again... they seriously have about the worst devs ive ever seen at a studio in my life . Also Strangiato you been playing DnD way to much :P

Hehe yeah give plate to clerics ^^ To much D&D on my part as well ;)

Im trying to make Trion do Tank mage for a long time. Maybe on next xpack :(

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    Originally posted by Freezzo

I find it kinda sad that this part 1 of the review in progress is more a review of the dungeon already available for over a week and a description of what RIFT is and what the expansion adds (just numbers though). Little content has actually been reviewed here... Other than that it's an okay read.

Well, actually it seems sort of silly that Part 1 is posted... and the servers aren't even up yet. So I'd think this isn't actually any sort of review of SL.  At best, it's like a prologue.