Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of you are still grinding exotics?

Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318

I'm still grinding exotics, although I pre ordered (not pre purchased) the game. I got it a few days later than the actual release, but still.. I've played the game for long time. Took me forever to get 80 and it seems to take even longer time to grind for exotics.

Although I play quite much I've made many mistakes, for example:

• wasting my money on crafting (~0% profit even at 400 crafting)
  • playing WvW 90% of the time once I hit 80lvl
  • not running with swarm in WvW (or even aiming for easy events)
  • not doing any dungeon grind (I've completed story modes on max 5 dungeons)
So I currently have 2 out of {god knows how many} exotics. 0 exotic weapons.

Still this is not thread to list your uber awesome money making schemes. I just want to see if you are still grinding or not.

Soo.. I'm curious if I'm the only one who is still grinding for full exotic set. Are you still grinding exotics?

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I am still looking to get exotic gear, but to be honest my case is that I spvp around 70% of my playtime.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    nope, got 40 or so exotics in total almost all of them was bought of the TP or crafted with mats bought through the TP, I was eventually aiming at having all different sets (like cleric,berserker etc) and all weapons (warrior) but that seems rather pointless now.
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265

Just finished getting all mine on my warrior today. Now I'm just WvWing and Spvping now, Waiting on the Lost Shores content.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Working full time, training for a marathon and playing Pathfinder on the weekends and I hit 80, completed story plus had full set of exotics in two weeks. Game doesnt' have much to offer.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I have all my exotic armor and a staff on my elementalist but I still need all the jewelry and upgrades. I've bought all my exotic pieces from the TP. It cost all the gold I had earned getting to 80 plus all the gold I had on my level 50ish guardian alt. I would have had a lot more gold if I had known from the beginning how expensive it would be to gear up at 80 and had known various tips I only learned near the end when the gold grind became clearer.

I don't find WvW that great anyway, so I'm not really in a hurry to finish the elementalist's gear. I only play it a few times a week, so there's no rush. I'm making gold while leveling my guardian and I'll transfer that gold to my elementalist as I earn enough to buy each new exotic piece I'm lacking.

The announcement of the new Ascended gear tier further diminishes my interest in completing my set of exotics (not to mention playing the game at all).

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

I have 3 sets of gear with different stats and related to different builds. I still need at least 3 more t cover most of the general ways I can play my necromancer. Count MF gear too. Also few weapons of the same kind with different Sigli.

Also, working on alt basic gear -  exotic + weapons.

Notice I dont talk about skins, this will come in time. I will transmutate better (in my eyes) skins to existing gear, but this take longer then completing sets itself.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i voted no.  not because i have them but, because i have no desire to.  
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Ive never realy grind i play and enjoy having fun with the game and still have complete exotic gear and jewels, its easy.

Ive only done 1 dungeon for nightmare staff and scepter in explorable mode.

Im not conerned about gold or skins i just play and see what i gather while playing.

Game is not work you know:)

Getting karma is not realy hard, thus easy getting exotics.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115
    I almost have a complete Orrian karma set. Really helped that you can now get liquid karma from doing daily achievement. Although if I had focused more on doing dungeons I would have had an exotic set a long time ago. I have been focusing on map completion and WorldVWorld mostly. I have 6 exotic weapons for my main, I just bought them off tp, they aren't that expensive... So it isn't at all difficult to get exotic armor in GW2, you just have to put your mind to it.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

I have exotic armor and weapons on my first level 80. Only 1 set of armor, but I've swapped a few pieces around, so about the equivalent of 2 sets.

Eventually I'll grind again on another character, but not yet.

The most expensive by far was getting 6 superior runes.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Grind, hmm I thought that is one of the reasons to play GW2 because its not a grindy game. So in the end its just as grindy as all the rest.
  • sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    completed my third set for my ele, 2 sets for my engi and 2 sets for my mesmer, I didnt grind anything I just play the auction house and each item is roughly 1.5 - 1.8 g except for accesories which i crafted.  Not only that but I run a guild and have geared atleast 2 - 3 people a week even more. when you work as a group its too easy.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by trenshod
    Grind, hmm I thought that is one of the reasons to play GW2 because its not a grindy game. So in the end its just as grindy as all the rest.

All MMO's have some grind, the difference here is this is for LOOKS NOT for STATS. In Rift, you you want to do the harder dungeons, you have to grind out gear to be able to get a group, Does that explain it for you?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by trenshod

All MMO's have some grind, the difference here is this is for LOOKS NOT for STATS. In Rift, you you want to do the harder dungeons, you have to grind out gear to be able to get a group, Does that explain it for you?

Still grinding for my second set. Ever since they added that annoying DR system to the open world (no it's not limited to the dungeons) and they screwed the pooch on the MF system I've had a difficult time getting ANY rares to drop off anything period.

And yes there is a problem with dungeons. Requiring people do dungeons for ANYTHING is not a good game plan because it further separates the community.

Already there are requests flooding the forums on their website for things like gearcheck, dps meters etc basically EVERYTHING that became such a huge problem even in WoW. Not only does this go 180 from what type of game this would be but it also does irreparable harm to the communities involved.

What I don't understand is why is it that they suddenly decided to listen to players who are 1: the minority 2: are only interested in the next shiny and will leave this game in a heartbeat for the next shiny (instead of those of us who hang around for a long time) 3: suddenly decided the best gear should only come from dungeons. What changed. Did someone get promoted over the lead dev? Was there some wallstreet buy out we're not hearing about? What?

I just hope they don't let their game become another SWTOR.

If the Ascended gear is easily obtainable that is...tokens.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    I was until yesterday. Now I'm just playing lowbie alts - no point playing a level cap character in the lead-up to a new instalment on the gear treadmill being released.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I abandoned crafting early.  I also lost interest after buying cheap rares from the TP.  That gear was good enough for my needs.  I didn't enjoy dungeons enough to grind them for minor improvements and nothing else in the game held my interest long enough to want to farm better looking gear just to farm DE's for karma.

If GW2 was the only game available I would have spent a lot more time in it.  But with so many games competing for our time, it just didn't stand out enough for me.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I have no interest in getting exotics, so would that be a yes or a no?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

People grind for exotics? ok!!

I got mine as soon as i hit 80. Bought all armor peices from the TP

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    My highest level character just turned 61 last night (guardian, with two other chars in the 30-40's, and one more 20something)... so I haven't even started the grind yet.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I mean there are still pieces I'm pursuing on each of my characters (have 3 80s), but I don't feel there ever was a "grind" for exotics, at least not for me personally.  I was pretty much able to make myself full sets of exotic gear the moment I hit 80 on all 3 of my characters.  Crafting's pretty badass like that in this game.  

I'm also inclined to disagree with the slight insinuations in the OP that there is no profit to be found in crafting, or rather that it is nothing but a gold sink.  I have all 8 trades at 400 (2 on each of 4 characters) and would say I "sunk" maybe 1 net gold into each character for crafting (so about 50s per craft.)  Now, I leveled my crafts while I leveled my characters each time, so I was able to gather most of the basic raw materials, but still.  I still regularly make rare level 80 gear to sell for profit (about 4-5 pieces per day for a total of about 1g profit.)  Which pieces are most profitable fluctuate, but there is always profit to be made somewhere.  

But yeah, exotics seem to come easily.  Most of my grindy pursuits come from trying to mix and match the perfect pieces for a desired look.  There are currently 2 pieces of sylvari T3 cultural armor I have my sights set on for my elementalist, for 37g total.  

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I haven't even started.   There are other things in the game that interest me far more.
  • kuuujokuuujo Member Posts: 10

Made first exotic full set somewere in second week of playing, it was everything including jewelry and weapons. Weapons were mystic, and I regreted wasting my skillpoints on them later when I started collecting stuff for legendary. But I spent many hours in those first two weeks.

Made another exotic set with jewelry and weapons much later, because I wanted to check citical build.

Started making third exotics set to check magic find, but got to 3 pieces. Also got only two gifts for legendary (the obvious dungeon gift, and my precious gift of metal xd), and started collecting gold for max slots equipment, but then I stopped playing and everything is waiting for me now. But I have no desire to get back yet, maybe on the next big update.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I've completed my 3rd dungeon run.  I'm only doing it for the fun though, I'm not real excited about any of the armor sets available. Some parts of the flame legion ones look pretty cool though.  I'll get there eventually, but I don't feel rushed because I will probably change the skin to something more to my tastes anyhow.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.