Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New dungeon will give us stronger armour

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Raekon
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Funny facts:

- in this thread you can find a few of the people that always visited the gw2 forums trying to bash the game without ever playing it.

- people don't bother to read the article about the new gear properly but rather grab the "new gear" or "higher stats then exotic" and jump into their own conclusion so they can show negativity

By reading quite a few replies here I can already say that most of you didn't bother to read the article nor to understand what it says and that's just plain sad.

Are you people THAT bitter that you are trying to bash anything and anyone the whole time?

Seriously now, go and find something to do with your life or go enjoy the games you are enjoying instead of jumping in here like 24/7 only so you can be negative for no good reason.

To your info since you didn't bother to read properly:

- the new dungeon will give RINGS and a BACKPACK (no armor)

- the infusion slot will be used for upgrades that will help to block a certain ability of some future enemy groups (like the infusion we needed to fight the mursaat in gw1 without dying in 2 seconds)

- exotic armor was meant to be the "standard" end tier armor and that's why it's easily obtainable in various ways

- legendary items will remain the top tier items

- the stats change is THAT low that makes barely any difference in WvsWvsW.

Most of all since in WvsWvsW you can still be killed by a level 21 character even if you are level 80 with exotics.

Unless you go in a 1vs1 but even then you might lose if the other guy plays better.

First they say in time you will be able to run a full kit of ascended armor.

Second, what is the point?

Most people saying there is nothing to do didn't finish all the dungeons, they didn't get legendaries, they didn't roll alts, etc.

Do they think because they add +2 to some stat those players will start playing GW2?

What those people claiming for progression want is "exclusive items", that require big groups to get them so there can be power plays and guild dramas about who gets a spot in the "raid" and who gets what loot, aka tin-god syndrome.

For the players still playing, having fun levelling alts or acquiring additional sets for different builds is a slap in the face.

It also begs the question, why shall I spend resources in exotic sets if they are just transitory?

And then why should I play anything but the new dungeon?

So not only won't they grab the "gear progression crowd" they lose some of the crowd it eas very satisfied with the knowledge that they could take some time off and when they returned their gear was still the best.

Why not just upgrqde the exotics to have the inherent stats and the infusion slot, and make craftin/acquirig those infusion  upgrades the "grind".

- yes they say with future updates they will add more legendary items and more ascendend items that will help with the new contents since the new contents will probably include more of the enemies you need the infusion slot for, like the mursaat in GW1.

- the point is the guild wars universe storyline and new way to include the old like with the event that will introduce us a new type of enemy as example.

These enemies will have inepenetrable armors that we will have to find a way to break them so we can defeat them.

For this cause we will have to find a group of merchants that are similar to the black lion trading company, that know a way on how to defeat these creatures and stop them from running over everything on their way.

So including the infusion in such a manner at a later point over this group could go like (as example):

"250 years ago we had to fight the mursaat, a legendary creature were able to infuse our armors and through this block the enemies abilities that let us be defenceless against them before".

"The Asura found a new type of infusion similar to the old one that helps us to block the enemies special ability and increase our chances of survival against them".

After you get infused the npc sends you to the places that are currently under attack so you can defend the towns against the waves of the attackers and so on....

Meta event: if you still fail the town gets and remains destroyed till you help a group of npcs to build it up again by gathering materials, protecting them and so on OR if you manage to defend, you gather a group of adventurers and bring the battle to the enemies core place to get rid of them.

People that defended successfully become the ascended status and title, together with materials to build their own armor at the mystic forge OR are getting a piece or a full set of the armor that can be infused by the NPC for a low cost.

Tons of ways they could go to expand content through this and give us more possibilities.

- the type of people you are talking about won't be catered through this because the stats increase is beyond minimal and the only thing they will get through it that makes it special in some way will be new looks allover again.

Since people already worked on legendaries, the ascended armor won't take anything away from them and the people with exotic armor will be still relevant when it comes to WvsWvsW and in the PvE content.

The main difference will probably only be that in the new dungeon that gets harder everytime you enter, someone with Ascendend armor will have a slightly better survivalbility, in a case of a equally good playing with the player that has exotic on.

If the exotics player plays however better, the ascended armor wearer would still die first.

That's also a fact I have seen in many dungeon runs I did in which level 80 players with exotics died while level 40 players with blue and green equips survived most of the time.

So the skill of a player still matters and the ascended armor won't change that.

- I assume that the reason they introduce this armor instead of upgrading the exotic ones is because its easier to add something new, instead of upgrading millions of armor pieces that could end up being bugged or cause errors and frustration to the players, as also to connect this new gear to the lore and give us more "eye candy" on the top of it.

Bottom line is:

-  people that want to leave, will leave no matter what is added

-  people that want to return after they enjoyed a other game in between, will do so cause there is no sub fee anyway

- people that love to whine about every single addition without getting really informed first will always do that as long as they don't change their ways

- people that doesn't care about the game and only jump in threads that smell "negative", will keep doing it.

In GW1 infusion was done in existing armor.

Then there were things like lightbringer rank that was used to fight Abbadon Minions.

The infusion could still exist by allowing you to upgrade existing armor/items into ascended by doing the dungeon/complating quests.

There is no need for another tier of items.

You would have stuff to do, grind to do with 0 impact in any other part of the game.

It is just bad design choices.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Then there were things like lightbringer rank that was used to fight Abbadon Minions.

The infusion could still exist by allowing you to upgrade existing armor/items into ascended by doing the dungeon/complating quests.

You would have stuff to do, grind to do with 0 impact in any other part of the game.

Yeah that's true that it was on the existing armor but you obviously ignored the part in which I said that they connect the new armor with new future contents.

Which means we won't get it yet anyway and that the backpack and the rings are just a small piece of them to introduce these things.

Also obvious that the impact will barely be there at all for WvsWvsW for know reasons and for the fact that legendary items already exists since the beginning and will remain to be the top tier.

Remember in GW1 the elite armors?

There were "normal versions" and there were "exclusive" versions.

This is handled here through skins and stats through the dungeons, crafting and so on and it's the same case here.

Having 3 more points on your stats then me doesn't matter much since in WvsWvsW as I said before it does nothing and you can die as easily if you get zerged.

In dungeons it won't matter either if I play better than you do.

In PvE outside I could care less what you do since it doesn't affect me or anyone else at all.

Yeah that's true that it was on the existing armor but you obviously ignored the part in which I said that they connect the new armor with new future contents.

Which means we won't get it yet anyway and that the backpack and the rings are just a small piece of them to introduce these things.

Also obvious that the impact will barely be there at all for WvsWvsW for know reasons and for the fact that legendary items already exists since the beginning and will remain to be the top tier.

Remember in GW1 the elite armors?

There were "normal versions" and there were "exclusive" versions.

This is handled here through skins and stats through the dungeons, crafting and so on and it's the same case here.

Having 3 more points on your stats then me doesn't matter much since in WvsWvsW as I said before it does nothing and you can die as easily if you get zerged.

In dungeons it won't matter either if I play better than you do.

In PvE outside I could care less what you do since it doesn't affect me or anyone else at all.

Legendary items have the same stats as exotics.

Elite armors have same stats as Normal in GW1 - 10K hours GW1 veteran here.

I always loved that warrior with chaos gloves, obsidian armor and obsidan edge that had no clue how to vanquish one of the northern shiverpeak areas with 3 dolyak master group or had no idea how to do slavers hm, while I with normal armor could do it with my eyes closed.

You know why?

Because it was all about skill.

The bigger the stats differences between tiers the least skill can show off. So it is either grind or be less powerful.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

And here I thought GW2 was a diferent game that wouldn't have gear progression, because the whole game is the endgame.

Shoot your own foot much.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I don't like this, I've played a handful of MMO's with a gear treadmill and I'm through with that and GW2 is where I can just play and have fun without dumping hours per night into the game.

Someone on the official GW2 forums in the thread discussing ascended gear said that players who want a gear progress has already quit the game leaving a concetration of players who don't, when Arenanet adds a gear progression- you can guess what will happen.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Looks like its going to be a good day work!

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Pretty sure Anet just scrapped everything GW2 was based upon.  And it might be enough to make me log in again.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Pretty sure Anet just scrapped everything GW2 was based upon.  And it might be enough to make me log in again.

They didn't scrap anything - understand the lore of the GW universe and all they are doing is returning things that were in GW1.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by botrytis

They didn't scrap anything - understand the lore of the GW universe and all they are doing is returning things that were in GW1.

Lore has nothing to do with gear stat progression. But I'll take your comments under advisment. I'll place them right next to all of Aerowyn's posts about the entire game being endgame, and how exotics are the best items in game so there is no gear progression.

• TredvoltTredvolt Member Posts: 10
    Endgame begins at level tier 1.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Wow this didn't take long..... So much for being different.... Next!

There is a considerable uproar, not only in the official forums but also in game.

Lets hope Anet reconsider.

Infusion never added a new tier of items or made the items have higher stats.

It simply meant you would take less damage from a mursaat skill based on the amount of infused armor pieces.

You would grab any armor you already had and infuse it.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Jyiiga https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/ Looks like tiered crap it is. Just like every other sorry game on the market. So much for being special. -throws hands into the air and walks off-
    I always love it when people with an agenda spread a bunch of bullshit.

Did you read the article?  Maybe you missed this in your melodramatic overreaction.

New Rarity Type: AscendedIn November we’ll unveil the first Ascended items. This new rarity type falls between Exotic and Legendary on the spectrum of rarity and has slightly higher stats than Exotics.Ascended gear works a little bit differently than other gear types. The stats and functionality normally added to gear through upgrade components are actually built into Ascended items. Instead of upgrade slots, Ascended gear has Infusion slots, and rarer versions of the items also come with additional Agony Resistance built into them. Players will be able to acquire Ascended Rings in the Fractals of the Mists dungeon, and Ascended items worn on the back can be acquired through special Mystic Forge recipes. The Future of Items ProgressionThis is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.You’ll also see more Legendary items in the future and an update to our existing Legendary weapons. Legendary items were always intended to be on par with other “best-in-slot” items. So fear not, all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons at the same time that we add Ascended weapons to the game. Thus Legendaries will remain “best-in-slot” items. All Legendary items going forward will be of Ascended power. We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently.The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. We’re going to add tons of new high-level content to Guild Wars 2 in the future. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.

Did you requote that with nothing else as if you're telling us all something?  Funny how people like you stop reading when it suits your needs.  All you had to do was read a few more lines.

They're adding progression of a sort, still probably nothing to make treadmill runners happy, while keeping with their gear philosophy.  And this is bad how?  More content with more weapons and armour of equivalent power is somehow bad in opposite world?

What do you mean when you say why is this bad?

You have actually seen the GW2 devs talking about the game right?

I mean come on they said spefically they were not going to go down this route and guess what now they are thats why its BAD....

It may just be a cape and a ring atm but soon its gonna be a full set and what do you thinks gonna happen after that set is obtained by everyone you think this is gonna be the end of it?

The thread on the offical forums has like 50,000 posts and you say why is this bad.....

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

The thread on the offical forums has like 50,000 posts and you say why is this bad.....

Wow 50k posts? That is a lot of anger there. :P You think they will listen?

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Lore has nothing to do with gear stat progression. But I'll take your comments under advisment. I'll place them right next to all of Aerowyn's posts about the entire game being endgame, and how exotics are the best items in game so there is no gear progression.

+1

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Originally posted by 1vald2
    Anyways, pointless talking to 99% of the people on this forum. You can smell the troll even before clicking on the threads

Whats the point of a discussion if everyone has a unified viewpoint?

That would make sense if those people wanted to have a discussion but it's always the same 5 or 10 people with an agenda looking for the latest drama to latch onto.  It's not about game discussion.  Hell, some of them even got refunds on the game yet still come in to "discuss" their disgust.

And you don't have an agenda? i am neither a hater or a fanboy but someone  who is happy to see gear progression in GW2.  

But from where i stand i don't see how you are any different than those you keep pointing fingers at? in every single reply of yours you bring the word 'agenda' even though it is very clear that you have your own agenda which motivates you to defend GW2 and Anet at every given oppertunity.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

+1

There is no gear prgression - RELOOK at the pics. The stats are the same on those 2 pcs of armor - the only difference is one has the stats + a rune and the other is all stats + an infusion slot. IT IS NOT GEAR PROGRESSION lol

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

I told you folks you were worrying over nothing. Ascended gear stats are higher than Exotics (by a few points here or there) but still under those of Legendary weapons. IE progression is still largely latteral, so folks can stop screaming that the sky is falling now.

What is slightly worrying is the new Agony Mitigation. However if done right it won't be that big of a problem. So I have a wait and see attitude atm. Right now there are only two types of ascended gear, rings and back items. So if the mitigation state caps at +5 on each item, then that isn't a problem. However if dungeon level 6 requires at least +180 Agony Mitigation, then that is a serious problem that will split the community. But this is Anet, the only MMOG developer that I actually trust. They won't make such a stupid mistake.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Originally posted by 1vald2
    Anyways, pointless talking to 99% of the people on this forum. You can smell the troll even before clicking on the threads

Whats the point of a discussion if everyone has a unified viewpoint?

That would make sense if those people wanted to have a discussion but it's always the same 5 or 10 people with an agenda looking for the latest drama to latch onto.  It's not about game discussion.  Hell, some of them even got refunds on the game yet still come in to "discuss" their disgust.

And you don't have an agenda? i am neither a hater or a fanboy but someone  who is happy to see gear progression in GW2.  

But from where i stand i don't see how you are any different than those you keep pointing fingers at? in every single reply of yours you bring the word 'agenda' even though it is very clear that you have your own agenda which motivates you to defend GW2 and Anet at every given oppertunity.

Of course I have an agenda.  I actually play the game and like it.  I've been playing GW for years now.  I know exactly what I'm getting into and what I like and don't like about ANet.  I just choose my battles and don't hop on the latest hate train like those who pick something out of every press release and update.

By the way, if you're looking for progression like you see in other games, you're going to be very disappointed.

Then please stop bringing up it in every single reply? everyone who posts here has an agenda. 

As far kind of progression i am looking for. Anet has stated in article that they will keep on introducing new ascended gears and upgrades. Right now even if the increase is little under 10%, it is good enough for me to upgrade my gear and weapons.  For a game whichw as all about cosmetic grind, any amount of difefrence in stats is good enough.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    So apparently the carrot made it's shocking return.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

So any WvW rewards on par with that dungeon loot ?
    Would be sucky to spend 1000 badges or 200k karma for sub par gear to get owned by dungeon rats :)

lets see what this brings, but iam not realy against it, tbh Anet has some balls making a move like this.
    Prolly gonne peek inside a dungeon again, but i realy dislike running them over and over to get better geared.
    Done that in WoW for 8 years, not gonne play a mmo that forces me to do it again.
    Give me on par WvW pvp gear and i dont mind it.

Infusion never added a new tier of items or made the items have higher stats.

It simply meant you would take less damage from a mursaat skill based on the amount of infused armor pieces.

You would grab any armor you already had and infuse it.

Infusion was to counter any mob that could cast the monster only skill, Spectral Agony.  Only a handful of mobs could cast that.  Infusion here counters the Agony condition.  We'll see how many mobs can cast that.  I always thought it was lame that they didn't add more mobs that could cast Spectral Agony, especially if Fissure or UW.

I don't think this sort of progression is bad at all.  For one, the Legendary items will be upgraded to keep their place as BiS.  So they are just making a difference between Exotic and Legendary.  Ascended will be of Legendary quality but less rare.

It sounds like a win and in keeping with their gear philosophy.  What will matter is the content they add to obtain the gear.  If the content is fun and accessible then so much the better.  If it's not or it starts to mirror raid style exclusion, then I'm sure they will hear about it.  One thing very positive that stands out in the article, to me, is they are also adding scavenger hunt style acquisition to loot as opposed to just token bartering or crafting.  Crafting is getting an update as well.

ANet has added progression before in GW1 with Heroes.  Progression doesn't always have to be about gear.  Finally ANet never said there would be no progression, but that you're not getting RIFT style obsolescence and gear treadmill style grind.

Maybe it's just because I played GW1 for a long time, but this seems in keeping with ANets philosophy and shows they are at least listening.

Is this really a bad thing and how so?

The only mobs that could cast Spectral agony were the Mursaat. Their side kicks, the Jade conatructs would apply spectral agony on hit - fairly localized mob (southern shiverpeaks and ring of fire with a reaperance in War in Kryta) - any armor, max, non max, elte or otherwise could be infused and it would give no power vs any other mobs. Ascenant items are better vs everyone.

Again they didn' have to add a new item tier with higher stats.s

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by nationalcity

Did you requote that with nothing else as if you're telling us all something?  Funny how people like you stop reading when it suits your needs.  All you had to do was read a few more lines.

They're adding progression of a sort, still probably nothing to make treadmill runners happy, while keeping with their gear philosophy.  And this is bad how?  More content with more weapons and armour of equivalent power is somehow bad in opposite world?

What do you mean when you say why is this bad?

You have actually seen the GW2 devs talking about the game right?

I mean come on they said spefically they were not going to go down this route and guess what now they are thats why its BAD....

It may just be a cape and a ring atm but soon its gonna be a full set and what do you thinks gonna happen after that set is obtained by everyone you think this is gonna be the end of it?

How is it bad?  What is there not to understand here about the question.  It's simple really.  Explain why you think this is bad, not rattle off some vague stuff about "go[ing] down this route".

What route?  Did Arena Net come out and say there will never be progression changes?  There were progression additions in GW1, why not GW2?

Even if they did make a change to their design, so what does it matter if it still fits within the philosophy of no gear-treadmill / no planned obsolescence.  That is what their philosophy is about, that and keeping stat inflation to a minimum because it is a balance nightmare.

After people obtain the Ascended gear they can keep working for Legendary which is still BiS.

You keep telling yourself that while your grinding for your Ascended gear 8P

And second of all I don't have to explain anything to you https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Thoughts-on-Ascended-Gear-Merged-threads says it all are you asking everyone there to explain to you why its a bad idea didn't think so.....

Originally posted by Rimmersman

+1

There is no gear prgression - RELOOK at the pics. The stats are the same on those 2 pcs of armor - the only difference is one has the stats + a rune and the other is all stats + an infusion slot. IT IS NOT GEAR PROGRESSION lol

No.

You are wrong.

The Ascended item is +50, +50, +10%, +18, +18.

The exotic item is +48, +48, +7% (+3%+4%), +15, +15.

Look again.