It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Originally posted by Foreverdream Simply put, Would you play older games if they JUST updated the graphics? nothing else would be changed. EQ, FF11, DAoC etc
I would like to see EQ1 with updated graphics.
Although realistically it would also need a UI overhaul to match.
Originally posted by muffins89 there are games i've never played that i would try. eq1, vanguard. but i would would probably not revisit a game.
Vanguard with graphics / UI that werent terrible would be amazing. The code in that game is horrendous.
Originally posted by Loktofeit Originally posted by Foreverdream Simply put, Would you play older games if they JUST updated the graphics? nothing else would be changed. EQ, FF11, DAoC etc
Has anyone ever said they left a game because the graphics became dated?
Said, or just followed the herd as it moved on?
Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.
Originally posted by Icewhite Originally posted by Loktofeit Originally posted by Foreverdream Simply put, Would you play older games if they JUST updated the graphics? nothing else would be changed. EQ, FF11, DAoC etc
This. If a game doesn't retain players for whatever reason, the lack of players itself will cause users to leave in an MMO, regardless of the fun of the game. If a core group of players or a guild leaves a game because of a newer game with better graphics, that could potentially start a domino effect of leaving, just due to the absence of those players.
I would play WoW again, if they would update the graphics.
Since i quit before Cata, there might be alot of things to check out in the game...but i cant stand the horribly 256x256 textures stretched to the max and the low polygon count anymore.
It's the combat animation, combat is a huge part of mmo's and it makes or breaks games.
if somone took WoW's combat and stuck it into LoTRO or Secret World, said game would beat the pants off WoW.
My first serious MMO was DAoC, and I would certainly give that another try if they were to overhaul the graphics.
However, they would have to completely redo all animations and effects as well. Those are far too outdated for today's standards, and the characters look very poor compared to today's quality standards.
Originally posted by Cephus404 Originally posted by chelan i wish i weren't so shallow, but yes, if DAoC or AO or EQ ever got a graphics overhaul i would certainly be interested.
But it doesn't make the game any better. I spent at least 4 months at the end, subbed to AO and doing nothing. I'd log in, I'd consider my options, try to figure out what I wanted to do, realize I didn't want to play the game and log off. Lather, rinse, repeat. I wasted a ton of money at the end before I realized I didn't want to be playing the game at all. There's only so long you can go on playing a game before you run out of things to do.
Despite my previous post, I do have to agree with this one.
I was an avid DAoC player, and really loved that game. Seeing the changes they have made (I tried it again about a year ago, or so), even if they would have the best graphics, it would still not cut it.
- The UI is really painful. It used to have one that fit the setting of the game, but now it's very poor quality. It is completely disassociated with the game setting itself.
- Towns and cities are empty and bland compared to what more modern games offer.
- Lots of details are missing in general, which create the right ambiance.
- Animations are very outdated.
- They've had several graphics updates, but none of them made the game look really better. Just different. They obviously tried to go for a more 'realistic' look. This I personally consider a mistake. It's a game. In that sense I think WoW's approach is better by emphasizing that by making it cartoonish. Until we can simulate the real world with computers, I don't think they should even attempt to make it look 'realistic' because it will never look like that.
- Up until the first expansion DAoC had a fairly solid game mechanic. They would have had to revert back to that one for me. The current 'easy mode' made it very bland in my mind.
So in that regard: no, graphics alone would not cut it.