Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about Storm Expansion

nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I quit RIFT after the first month due to there being no different zones to level alts through. I had to do the same quests on every character.

Will the new expansion have new zones to level up through from 1 to max level or is it just for people who are already max level?

Sorry for a noobish question, but I haven't followed this game or the expansion hardly at all. I just seen that they're releasing a new soul I might be interested in, but I won't buy the expansion if I have to redo all the same quests I've already done.

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Just for max level

they added Instant Adventures to low level zones which are a way to level faster but boring as hell past the first 5 minutes (ymmv)

Trion treats 1-50 as an inconvenience to suffer through til the real game starts as 50.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

More endgame content is the way forward. That way everyone can enjoy it. If you make new low level content then it's useless to those people who have already leveled the alts they want. Instead of having multiple paths at level 1, in Rift you have many many zone paths at level 50; Iron Pine Peaks, Stillmoor, Shimmersands, Ember Isle and, in a few hours, the 2 new continents (each one is 50-60). Obviously you have all the usual mmo endgame stuff as well plus the unique Rift ones like the Rifts themselves and Chronicles. So, while it looks like you have less choices at the beginning, when you get to the end you realise you have more choices than in most other mmos at the levels that it really matters.

That's my take on it anyway.

Instant Adventure isn't the most fun thing to do but with IA you will level your alts faster than in any other game. You can get to the good stuff faster in Rift if you want to.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor

More endgame content is the way forward. That way everyone can enjoy it. If you make new low level content then it's useless to those people who have already leveled the alts they want. Instead of having multiple paths at level 1, in Rift you have many many zone paths at level 50; Iron Pine Peaks, Stillmoor, Shimmersands, Ember Isle and, in a few hours, the 2 new continents (each one is 50-60). Obviously you have all the usual mmo endgame stuff as well plus the unique Rift ones like the Rifts themselves and Chronicles. So, while it looks like you have less choices at the beginning, when you get to the end you realise you have more choices than in most other mmos at the levels that it really matters.

Instant Adventure isn't the most fun thing to do but with IA you will level your alts faster than in any other game. You can get to the good stuff faster in Rift if you want to.

For a lot of us old school MMO players, and even Vanilla WoW players, 'the levels that it really matters' start at 1.

In a game with an EQ2 style mentoring system it is inexcusable and frankly moronic not to devote at least 1/3rd of Storm legion's content to the 6-40 segment.  One of the top complaints, if not the number was the linearity while leveling.  Its just mind boggling to not address it, when max level people can mentor down and enjoy the content too.

Trion shot themselves in the foot because people coming back to Rift are going to see the same 1-50 game and may be long gone by the time they even get to storm legion.  

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794

I disagree. Trion improved 1-50 zones A LOT, since the game was released. Its not wow where they dont touch old content.

Impressive ammount of new elements, quests, mechanics, rifts and even new mosters or bosses where added to the 1-50 zones over time. Only thing that didint change is the 1-5 experiance but personaly i think its Tutorial, so it should not matter.

Devoting content for the sake of doing pointless inferrior zones with new themes is a waste of resources, like in wow. So much forgotten content over the years it almost makes you cry.

I think they did really good job with focusing on endgame in the expansion while still adding some new mechanics that ppl can access from lv 1 like new souls, housing ( bit later on) and all the content revamped from 1-50 sine the initial release.

Its not like they released new calling majority of old players already got max lv characters. On top of tha large number of ppl that never experianced end game content got they characters at lv 20 while playing the unlimited trial. Leveling is significaly faster now that it was back then, becasue of all the new quests and Instant adventures.

People that never really tried the game properly or didint play it since the first month should try the unlimited trian and see the diference.

PS: And being Old School have nothing to do with tastes. Im as Old School as it gets. I will always disagree about wasting developement time on zones that will never be truly utilised, and that time should be spent elsewhere, like adding endgame content that everyone misses in majority of mmos.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

For a lot of us old school MMO players, and even Vanilla WoW players, 'the levels that it really matters' start at 1.

In a game with an EQ2 style mentoring system it is inexcusable and frankly moronic not to devote at least 1/3rd of Storm legion's content to the 6-40 segment.  One of the top complaints, if not the number was the linearity while leveling.  Its just mind boggling to not address it, when max level people can mentor down and enjoy the content too.

Trion shot themselves in the foot because people coming back to Rift are going to see the same 1-50 game and may be long gone by the time they even get to storm legion.  

People who are there for the leveling experience tend to leave once the leveling is done no matter what endgame content a game has. Catering to these people is not a good investment. I can see that this is the main critism of the expansion but I feel it's a false perception of what MMOs should be. New starter zones are just new skins that you pass through, that's all.. and most people wouldn't bother reading the lore for new zones anyway. Plus, the loot gets quickly replaced.

Put it this way.. if they had worked on another 1-50 continent and a 50-60 continent instead of two 50-60 continents.. this expansion wouldn't be anywhere near as good. New starter zones are over in a matter of hours/days then it's useless to anyone and everyone.. endgame zones last weeks or even months and everyone gets to enjoy them, old and new players alike. They might have pulled in more new players at the expansions launch with more 1-50 but there would be less reason for them, and veterans, to stay.

Starters zones are a complete waste of resources because they become obsolete.. take a look at Cata.. was good for about 2 months and now it's just wasted development in the grand scale of things, no one cares about it anymore. But with Rift, players are going to be enjoying these new continents for ages.. it's where the game is 'at' now, not just a temporary pass through.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Rift fails again with SL.. in my opinion..   The expansion is basically an end game patch.. It just raises the bar and adds housing (which is a bonus, but not enough to bring me back)..  I agree with the one poster, Rift treats and views leveling as an inconvience.. Their whole goal is to maintain an end game hamster wheel for gear..

Sure Rift could add leveling content 1-50, but why bother when people are zerging thru it as fast as they can.. Rift could of added a scaling "level" adjustment like other devs have done so that ALL characters could enjoy the new zones.. but Rift ignored that option and chose to move on..... Best thing Rift could of done was copy cat GW2 when it comes to scaling characters to the zone level they are in..  That was the biggest reason why I quit Rift..  Once I was lvl 50, I basically only had 2 zones to play in..  I REFUSE to play the instance hamster wheel game.. I'm not a mouse.. tyvm Trion.. LOL

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Rydeson
    Rift fails again with SL.. in my opinion..   The expansion is basically an end game patch.. It just raises the bar and adds housing (which is a bonus, but not enough to bring me back)..  I agree with the one poster, Rift treats and views leveling as an inconvience.. Their whole goal is to maintain an end game hamster wheel for gear..Sure Rift could add leveling content 1-50, but why bother when people are zerging thru it as fast as they can.. Rift could of added a scaling "level" adjustment like other devs have done so that ALL characters could enjoy the new zones.. but Rift ignored that option and chose to move on..... Best thing Rift could of done was copy cat GW2 when it comes to scaling characters to the zone level they are in..  That was the biggest reason why I quit Rift..  Once I was lvl 50, I basically only had 2 zones to play in..  I REFUSE to play the instance hamster wheel game.. I'm not a mouse.. tyvm Trion.. LOL

You obviously havent played Rift or the expansion because you can in fact scale your level to fit any zone and get appropriate xp and rewards. I usually don't call people out on their opinions but since yours is a lie I felt the need to clarify.

People who are there for the leveling experience tend to leave once the leveling is done no matter what endgame content a game has. Catering to these people is not a good investment. 

Catering only to current players when you have a small population is a worse investment.

You put a robust leveling experience in, you attract more people.  Plain and simple.  Yeah, you may not understand it, but then i dont understand the people who actually enjoy currency gear grinds and would rather acquire gear that way than via drops.  I dont understand the people that raid 3+ days a week.

Provide a good leveling experience, and if people start to get bored of their main (happens in ALL MMORPGS) they will roll an alt to keep them occupied and a change of pace for a bit til they go back to their main.  A game like Rift people will just unsub, and their retention shows that.

And a HUGE mistake to make for your first expansion is when someone asks the question:  whats in it for new people and the answer is 'nothing'.  EQ2 was on a downward trend after its launch, it was a dissapointing launch in the shadow of WoW.  Their first two expansions were endgame focused.  Kingdom of Sky was a pretty good expansion, but it wasnt until they released EoF with a new race and new 1-70 content that the game rebounded and hit a growth period.

Stop trolling in every thread about it already. Its getting old.

If you didint try Rift recently then, like the guy that dont even knows eve have level scaling then please dont share your years old opinions about the game that had a huge amount of updates done since then.

And im playing the expansion atm and enjoying it very much. Rift is not an alt game anyway. There is little to no point in making alts.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

Originally posted by Khebeln

Stop trolling in every thread about it already. Its getting old.

If you didint try Rift recently then, like the guy that dont even knows eve have level scaling then please dont share your years old opinions about the game that had a huge amount of updates done since then.

And im playing the expansion atm and enjoying it very much. Rift is not an alt game anyway. There is little to no point in making alts.

reasonable, thought out arguments arent trolling.

Most of my posts are responses to complete bs like 'they added double or triple the content in the old zones'

I have played Rift recently.  I played the SL beta even.  I am not sharing old opinions.  

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Rift fails again with SL.. in my opinion..   The expansion is basically an end game patch.. It just raises the bar and adds housing (which is a bonus, but not enough to bring me back)..  I agree with the one poster, Rift treats and views leveling as an inconvience.. Their whole goal is to maintain an end game hamster wheel for gear..

Sure Rift could add leveling content 1-50, but why bother when people are zerging thru it as fast as they can.. Rift could of added a scaling "level" adjustment like other devs have done so that ALL characters could enjoy the new zones.. but Rift ignored that option and chose to move on..... Best thing Rift could of done was copy cat GW2 when it comes to scaling characters to the zone level they are in..  That was the biggest reason why I quit Rift..  Once I was lvl 50, I basically only had 2 zones to play in..  I REFUSE to play the instance hamster wheel game.. I'm not a mouse.. tyvm Trion.. LOL

You obviously havent played Rift or the expansion because you can in fact scale your level to fit any zone and get appropriate xp and rewards. I usually don't call people out on their opinions but since yours is a lie I felt the need to clarify.

OH - took a GW2 mechanic , eh?  (had to say it - Smiley Face

Originally posted by botrytis

Originally posted by Rydeson Rift fails again with SL.. in my opinion..   The expansion is basically an end game patch.. It just raises the bar and adds housing (which is a bonus, but not enough to bring me back)..  I agree with the one poster, Rift treats and views leveling as an inconvience.. Their whole goal is to maintain an end game hamster wheel for gear..   Sure Rift could add leveling content 1-50, but why bother when people are zerging thru it as fast as they can.. Rift could of added a scaling "level" adjustment like other devs have done so that ALL characters could enjoy the new zones.. but Rift ignored that option and chose to move on..... Best thing Rift could of done was copy cat GW2 when it comes to scaling characters to the zone level they are in..  That was the biggest reason why I quit Rift..  Once I was lvl 50, I basically only had 2 zones to play in..  I REFUSE to play the instance hamster wheel game.. I'm not a mouse.. tyvm Trion.. LOL  
    OH - took a GW2 mechanic , eh?  (had to say it -

hehe they had it before GW2 launched. and yeah its a great mechanic. if they stole the idea from gw2 it was a smart move imo

regardless of if he is aware of the mentoring system or not, the auto scaling should be used anytime an invasion hits.  Freemarch invasion bosses are going to be one shot by 60s.  

regardless of if he is aware of the mentoring system or not, the auto scaling should be used anytime an invasion hits.  Freemarch invasion bosses are going to be one shot by 60s.  

If that became a problem, Trion would fix it quickly. You should know this by now.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I guess you have already played through all the new expansion content so your qualified to say its a failure.  Your an amazing content gobbling machine!

Personally I hated the zone autoleveling mechanic in GW2 if thats what your referring too.  It was just another element that pulled me out of the game.  Oh remember all that stuff you did?  Ya when you come back as an 80 were just going to make you a scrub again, you have acomplished nothing.

You seem to like GW2 but you just said you REFUSE to play the instance hamster wheel game and that your not a mouse.  GW2's entire gameworld is instanced zone after instanced zone,  The Dundgons are all INSTANCED, the WvW INstanced, they just took away any meaningfull rewards for doing it, but somehow thats okay? Your analogy makes zero sense.  Its like your saying I hate doing the same thing over and over and getting rewards for it, Id rather do the same thing over and over and get practically nothing for it.   Your still on your honeymoon.

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Off topic but, Do you get the discount on expansion even tho if im not currently subscribed but i have been? Or am i considered as "new player" anyways.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

No, they took the idea from EQII. GW2 is not the center of the universe.

All die, so die well.

They actualy had it way before Gw2, and the first game to use lv scalign was Eq2. Get your facts straight ^^

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I only started playing two weeks ago but I'm loving my little house on the beach. :D

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Just for max level

they added Instant Adventures to low level zones which are a way to level faster but boring as hell past the first 5 minutes (ymmv)

Trion treats 1-50 as an inconvenience to suffer through til the real game starts as 50.

This is all I would expect.  They are focused on keeping current players happy and attracting new players who want one character to run end game content.  It was a mistake to have only one leveling path in a small world, but spending their resources adding another path wouldn't really be financially viable for them. 

Yup and you hav to consider than budget for Rift was several times smaller than for most mmos, and forthe same price we got a lot higher quality product than usual. Sure rift have its flaws, but they do the best they can w/o sacrificing their current player base.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by Khebeln

They actualy had it way before Gw2, and the first game to use lv scalign was Eq2. Get your facts straight ^^

SWG and CoX had it before EQ2

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

People who are there for the leveling experience tend to leave once the leveling is done no matter what endgame content a game has. Catering to these people is not a good investment. 

Catering only to current players when you have a small population is a worse investment.

No, it really isnt. Putting in new leveling content might attract another 10% of the current playerbase, but it will only do so for a month or two at best because that type of player isnt the type of player who stays around in an subscription based game.  Those are single player MMO'ers who are there to burn through some content and then go find their new fix.  These are the same people who bought 2 million copies of SWTOR and left the game in 2 months because they had nothing else to do in combination with other issues like bugs, etc

You put a robust leveling experience in, you attract more people.  Plain and simple.  Yeah, you may not understand it, but then i dont understand the people who actually enjoy currency gear grinds and would rather acquire gear that way than via drops.  I dont understand the people that raid 3+ days a week.

Once again, the people you attract aren't long time customers.  As for "not understanding it", its simply. Token/currency drops remove the random number generator.  As someone who has been raiding in MMO's since EQ1,  i see both sides of the coin.  Currencies make it seem more grindy, but they remove that "man, this stupid item has dropped 6 times in the last 10 raids for guild Y, but Guild Z hasn't seen it once.".

Provide a good leveling experience, and if people start to get bored of their main (happens in ALL MMORPGS) they will roll an alt to keep them occupied and a change of pace for a bit til they go back to their main.  A game like Rift people will just unsub, and their retention shows that.

And a HUGE mistake to make for your first expansion is when someone asks the question:  whats in it for new people and the answer is 'nothing'.  EQ2 was on a downward trend after its launch, it was a dissapointing launch in the shadow of WoW.  Their first two expansions were endgame focused.  Kingdom of Sky was a pretty good expansion, but it wasnt until they released EoF with a new race and new 1-70 content that the game rebounded and hit a growth period.

EQ2 was plagued by a HORRIBLY bad graphics engine at release.  The game ran poorly even on top end systems and was all but unplayabable on systems even only 1-2 years old (I know this because i spent 1200 at the time building a reasonably high end system just for the release of EQ2).  There were myriad other issues with the game that made a lot of people leave as well.  Like not being able to explore/go to certain zones unless you reached a specific level.  Poor use of instancing with overworld areas.  ETC.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Jonnas13
    Originally posted by nate1980

SWG and CoX had it before EQ2

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

That made me about die laughing today thank you for that!

While i do agree with most people in this thread pretty regularly I do not care for the expansion at all , but its for different reasons. I think dimesions did a good job but find the overall redesign of all the souls stupid and pointless and ever since 1.11 every week poor warriors get nerfed more and more each hotfix. I guess if you run a justicar you are loving life right now or a mage though. But with the temp removal of conquest and just one more warfront to grind I had to cancel both my sub and preorder as they destroyed my warrior to the ground and I just do not care to tank on a cleric sorry its not for me.