Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[mod edit -] DFUW

Just kidding.

But seriously, I am amazed at the few who come on here and are legitimately upset over DF:UW.  Comparing it to NGE....WUT.

let me run DF 1.0 from launch, to unsub:

At launch I thought DF was the greatest game of all time, challenging PVE, and intense PVP.  One of the few games that took a small amount of brain power to be successful at,  the ONLY recent game where the basics of warfare were realized.  You wouldn't fight a fight you couldnt win, you would run away like a school girl or die if the fight wasnt on your terms.   

Then the zerg happened,  You joined the zerg or lost everything.  That wasn't so bad, It was actually pretty entertaining.  However prior to the zerg the main thing that ruined the game started appearing, players with what seemed like limitless stamina and health started popping up, obviously deep into a school of magic as well.  

This is when the game turned to garbage.  No longer was it possible to use your mind and win a fight.  It was just like any other game but 30x worse, It was no different than taking a level 10 and trying to kill a level 9000 in any other game.  Not only that, you were up against someone with magic, bow, and melee all leveled ridiculously high.   

In the end, you either swam against a wall, spent 10 hours a day trading hits with your allies, dieing, or you unsubbed.   The game mechanics were totally broken and exploitable.

Hopefully DF:UW works.

Comments

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Could not agree more.  DF:UW looks like it will be what DF1 should have been.
  • HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by shadylurker

In the end, you either swam against a wall, spent 10 hours a day trading hits with your allies, dieing, or you unsubbed.   The game mechanics were totally broken and exploitable.

Haha, true.

All my friends quit, and I swam against a wall. It was a weird way to play a game, but I had to do it to compete. If I have to do it again in DFUW, I hope the rioters in Athen burn down the AV HQ and put Tasos out of business.

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

I don't care about any of the afk grinding because in the end DF was one of the most in-depth mmo's I have played since pre-Tram UO.

To me this just adds to the sandbox. I remember seeing a bunch of afk swimmers within the saftey of an npc city and then here comes this other dude. I could just tell he was up to no good with his mohawk and face paint so I stood and watched as he jumped on the swimmers heads. They went under and as they came back up they would sometimes get stuck on a lip on the wall.... and drown!! (gasp) I swear this guys full time digi-job was to drown these people it was pretty funny :)

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

One thing I would like to add that did bother me about DF. The bunny hopping exploit. After some hard work I managed to get a long time friend to play DF and we were having a lot of fun sailing around on our raf t and exploring islands. We came accross a pack of canibals that chased us for miles but we were gaining ground until a few caught my friend using the bunny hop exploit. This gave my friend a very bad impression of DF and since he was new he pretty much quit after another encounter where a guy used this exploit to beat his newb character even though my friend was able to evade and escape while following the rules. You also have to remember that new players do not have the ability to bunny hop in order to escape, all they have is a mount if anything.

As a new player when you constantly die to an exploit like this and can never seem to "get away" from griefers it can get you very angry and just stop playing. I hope DF:UW doesn't have the same bunny hop physics as DF did. I don't mind being able to blast myself into the air but the speed increase was a little insane.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

bunny hopping was not an exploit according to the devs it was a game feature lol :)

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Caldrin
    bunny hopping was not an exploit according to the devs it was a game feature lol :)  

Then empty sever will be one aswell? ;)

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

as someone who never tried or played df but watched pvp vids and lurked on the threads.. its my understanding when all is said and done that DF 1.0 was actually a live fire pay to play alpha test o-O given the amount of bugs and issues that they had to deal with pre/post launch and months later. 

the animation didnt really impresse me too much also i had flashbacks to bunnyhopping lamers from Cs 1.6 that completely killed my desire to give it a shot.  (i dont agree with a 200lb person/monster in full plate armor bunnyhopping like they are naked... it just breaks immersion for me)

as for DF2.0 i dont think ill play it personally but i do hope its better then 1.0 cause from what i have seen on it. its basicly want they said 1.0 was going to be :/ 

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by shadylurker

Just kidding.

But seriously, I am amazed at the few who come on here and are legitimately upset over DF:UW.  Comparing it to NGE....WUT.

let me run DF 1.0 from launch, to unsub:

At launch I thought DF was the greatest game of all time, challenging PVE, and intense PVP.  One of the few games that took a small amount of brain power to be successful at,  the ONLY recent game where the basics of warfare were realized.  You wouldn't fight a fight you couldnt win, you would run away like a school girl or die if the fight wasnt on your terms.   

Then the zerg happened,  You joined the zerg or lost everything.  That wasn't so bad, It was actually pretty entertaining.  However prior to the zerg the main thing that ruined the game started appearing, players with what seemed like limitless stamina and health started popping up, obviously deep into a school of magic as well.  

This is when the game turned to garbage.  No longer was it possible to use your mind and win a fight.  It was just like any other game but 30x worse, It was no different than taking a level 10 and trying to kill a level 9000 in any other game.  Not only that, you were up against someone with magic, bow, and melee all leveled ridiculously high.   

Hopefully DF:UW works.

lets report you up for misleading title. 

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I hope the bunny hopping is canned just for the fact it will drive population down.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    It was the best move they could have done.  It will get more people into the game, such as myself.  They may lose some of there loyal following but they will be replaced ten fold by new gamers. See you on the battlefield.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    I hope the bunny hopping is canned just for the fact it will drive population down.

I'm pretty sure they've stated that bunny hopping is out.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Zushakon

unfortunately they said they love it how players make "creative use" of the dynamics to do this bunnyhoping.

They will look to tone it down with fall damage and more restrictive skills but they say they love it and will save a watered down version of it somehow. (Shows how they lack talent to decide what would be the right direction for DF again ).

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Bunny hopping is essentially out. You'll take too much damage from doing it, if its even possible. Remember, not all of the skills exist in DFO 2.0 that existed in 1.0. I wouldn't be surprised if only mages can bunny hop, which will make sense since they'll be squishy. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

unfortunately they said they love it how players make "creative use" of the dynamics to do this bunnyhoping.

They will look to tone it down with fall damage and more restrictive skills but they say they love it and will save a watered down version of it somehow. (Shows how they lack talent to decide what would be the right direction for DF again ).

No that is simply wrong. While they like the creative use of spells that players did they don't like the mechanic of bunnyhoping since you can be faster than mounts. 

Frist thing that will reduce bunny hopping is the role/school system

Second thing is death because of fall damage

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Niburu

No that is simply wrong. While they like the creative use of spells that players did they don't like the mechanic of bunnyhoping since you can be faster than mounts. 

i wished you have been right, but they must love the spastic way for jumping around like a rertard so much so they invent ways to save it :

"On the counter act side of things, as we like to promote players skill, we incorporated a new skill called "Break Fall" that can actually reduce your vertical speed when cast.

At high levels this skill almost drops your vertical speed to zero so it acts as an air brake. If you time it correctly, you can jump from a cliff and not get any damage at all. It has a long cool-down though, so jumping off cliffs should be a conscious choice now."

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Niburu

i wished you have been right, but they must love the spastic way for jumping around like a rertard so much so they invent ways to save it :

"On the counter act side of things, as we like to promote players skill, we incorporated a new skill called "Break Fall" that can actually reduce your vertical speed when cast.

At high levels this skill almost drops your vertical speed to zero so it acts as an air brake. If you time it correctly, you can jump from a cliff and not get any damage at all. It has a long cool-down though, so jumping off cliffs should be a conscious choice now."

He is right. The only reason bunny hopping works is because of vertical speed

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher