Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATE: On Ascended High End Gear

Comments

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Yeah already talking about it in the existing thread. Pretty horrible idea.  All along we had been made to believe that exotic gear was top of the line. Then we had legendary items for different looks. Then we had cosmetic gear to customize with.

This was a huge draw for many players and this was why many players came over from games with tiered gearing systems. This is one fo the core features that set GW2 apart from every other mainstream game from the last 8 years. 

So now we have a new tiered system and I want you all to think about this very hard. They didn't talk about harder monsters or skill based fight. No they have shown us new gear with better stats AND this gear has "little magical properties" that make us immune to a passive debuff that said monsters get. 

What does this sound like? Think about it... Resist gear from Vanilla WoW. You know that crap people hated and Blizzard eventually did away with, yep pretty much the same thing. 

So now we have a gated system coming down the pipe. We have gear that outpaces exotics.. So people from WvW will also need to farm it to stay "on par" gear wise. 

This is not what I expected at all. This is not skill based at all. 

Crap... why does everything I want to do well turn into the same old turd two months after release. 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Ahh okay so rewarded in dungeons and also by using the mystic forge(back piece), cool.

My issue would be the drop rate, because if you get it by a simple dungeon run and can get different stat wise doing different runs I'll be fine. More rewarding experience for doing the dungeons.

I wonder if there will be dungeon armor for Fractals.

Also if they go higher than Ascended, there will be an issue for [me]. 

I wonder if Ascended armor will be able to be crafted, when it comes out, I have a feeling it'll involve the Mystic Forge as well.

Thanks for the update, excited to try this event out.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

Yeah already talking about it in the existing thread. Pretty horrible idea.  All along we had been made to believe that exotic gear was top of the line. Then we had legendary items for different looks. Then we had cosmetic gear to customize with.

This was a huge draw for many players and this was why many players came over from games with tiered gearing systems. This is one fo the core features that set GW2 apart from every other mainstream game from the last 8 years. 

So now we have a new tiered system and I want you all to think about this very hard. They didn't talk about harder monsters or skill based fight. No they have shown us new gear with better stats AND this gear has "little magical properties" that make us immune to a passive debuff that said monsters get. 

What does this sound like? Think about it... Resist gear from Vanilla WoW. You know that crap people hated and Blizzard eventually did away with, yep pretty much the same thing. 

So now we have a gated system coming down the pipe. We have gear that outpaces exotics.. So people from WvW will also need to farm it to stay "on par" gear wise. 

This is not what I expected at all. This is not skill based at all. 

Crap... why does everything I want to do well turn into the same old turd two months after release. 

You know I want YOU to think about this.  Read the article.  Really, just read it and try thinking for yourself instead of bandwagon hopping or over reacting.

Legendary = BiS and will be able to slot Infusion items in the future.

Ascended = Better than exotic by a very minor margin.

Exotic = standard high quality gear.

How about you read it first.

"The Future of Items Progression

This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content."

That sounds like they are going to keep adding to it. It is going to be "Tiered". 

They preached for the past three years that the game was going to have a relatively easy gear cap. They preached that skill would be the main factor.

This new gear, plans for more gear like it and the basic way it functions.. Go totally against what they preached. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Jyiiga Yeah already talking about it in the existing thread. Pretty horrible idea.  All along we had been made to believe that exotic gear was top of the line. Then we had legendary items for different looks. Then we had cosmetic gear to customize with. This was a huge draw for many players and this was why many players came over from games with tiered gearing systems. This is one fo the core features that set GW2 apart from every other mainstream game from the last 8 years.  So now we have a new tiered system and I want you all to think about this very hard. They didn't talk about harder monsters or skill based fight. No they have shown us new gear with better stats AND this gear has "little magical properties" that make us immune to a passive debuff that said monsters get.  What does this sound like? Think about it... Resist gear from Vanilla WoW. You know that crap people hated and Blizzard eventually did away with, yep pretty much the same thing.  So now we have a gated system coming down the pipe. We have gear that outpaces exotics.. So people from WvW will also need to farm it to stay "on par" gear wise.  This is not what I expected at all. This is not skill based at all.  Crap... why does everything I want to do well turn into the same old turd two months after release. 
    You know I want YOU to think about this.  Read the article.  Really, just read it and try thinking for yourself instead of bandwagon hopping or over reacting. Legendary = BiS and will be able to slot Infusion items in the future. Ascended = Better than exotic by a very minor margin. Exotic = standard high quality gear.  

How about you read it first.

"The Future of Items Progression

This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content."

That sounds like they are going to keep adding to it. It is going to be "Tiered". 

They preached for the past three years that the game was going to have a relatively easy gear cap. They preached that skill would be the main factor.

This new gear, plans for more gear like it and the basic way it functions.. Go totally against what they preached. 

sigh. it still amazes me that people believe developers words as gospel.

plenty of room to redefine "Relatively.", "Main" and "Secondary" factors.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Exotic gear is indeed very easy to get so adding a new tier between very easy and almost impossible make sense. And yes, I have a full set  exo for my main (except pistols, for some reason do our guildhuntsmen suck and is never online, I guess I have to grind up that tradeskill as well as the ones I already maxed). I even have a full exo armor waiting for my warrior I am currently leveling up in the bank.

Basically do you need to craft 5 or so rare items and salvage them for ecto as well as getting or buying about 20 or so crafting mats that cost about 2 silver each. So a normal level 80 player needs to farm 1-3 hours to get an exotic gear.

Legendary in perspective takes forever to get, the easiest part is that you need to explore 100% of the game.

Agony on the other hand doesnt sound that great. I will wait to say something for sure until I actually played the new dungeon but my initial thought is that other games tried similar things and they never were that fun.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    I am honestly surprised by this ..... and not in a positive way. I'am not against item progression per se but this is wrong
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    If they dont make HM, we can run this dungeon and hopefuly future dungeons without ascended items, to chalenge ourselves more. At least I hope this to be the case, which will make going into dungeons much more enjoyable
  • CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

My thoughts?

Nothing to see here except yet another developer going against their own words and promises.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Yeah man, look at those MAD stat increases on Ascended gear. All 10 points and 3% of them.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

So a full Ascended set will give you +6 to four of your stats! That sure will break WvW. It's an OP +0.0029 to crit chance!

Other than that, it sounds like Ascended gear will be a required grind for the new dungeon. I suppose it's a good way to entertain some people. Infinite dungeons with RNG drops are very fun, if done right.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Sincerely what is the point?

Most people saying there is nothing to do didn't finish all the dungeons, they didn't get legendaries, they didn't roll alts, etc.

Do they think because they add +2 to some stat those players will start playing GW2?

What those people claiming for progression want is "exclusive items", that require big groups to get them so there can be power plays and guild dramas about who gets a spot in the "raid" and who gets what loot, aka tin-god syndrome.

For the players still playing, having fun levelling alts or acquiring additional sets for different builds is a slap in the face.

It also begs the question, why shall I spend resources in exotic sets if they are just transitory?

And then why should I play anything but the new dungeon?

So not only won't they grab the "gear progression crowd" they lose some of the crowd it eas very satisfied with the knowledge that they could take some time off and when they returned their gear was still the best.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

And with this, the heat is back on GW2. FFXIV:ARR and DF:UW was gaining steam and I thought the drama surrounding this game will finally start to settle down.

On the surface, Ascended items seem to be the barrier to these Fractals, or any place that applies an "Agony" debuff. These are the things that I actually dislike, but we'll have to see how all these is put into action. I'm not against the idea of attaining power through gear to overcome barriers, rather, it's the imposed grind to break through the barrier that I don't approve of. Fortunately some items can be made via Mystic Forge? I wonder what's the recipe for a single Ascended "back" item.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by ArenaNet
    This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

Game over.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

And with this, the heat is back on GW2. FFXIV:ARR and DF:UW was gaining steam and I thought the drama surrounding this game will finally start to settle down.

On the surface, Ascended items seem to be the barrier to these Fractals, or any place that applies an "Agony" debuff. These are the things that I actually dislike, but we'll have to see how all these is put into action. I'm not against the idea of attaining power through gear to overcome barriers, rather, it's the imposed grind to break through the barrier that I don't approve of. Fortunately some items can be made via Mystic Forge? I wonder what's the recipe for a single Ascended "back" item.

In GW1, there was a "Lightbringer" rank that increased damage dealt and reduced damage taken from tormented creature, which were the creatures populating the Domain of Anguish, which was an Elite area of the game. It was possible to do it without, but having the max rank really helped.

So I'm sure you are able to do the early areas of the dungeon without any "infusion" and as you get stuff you can get the infusion you need to do the rest.

The problem is the addition of another item tier and god knows how many more tiers.

I was already expecting texpansion packs to add stronger items/higher levels but that would be taken care down leveling,but now this.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Hey guys and/or gals making light of the stats, you might like to hear this about GW2 stat distribution on gear and know that the image posted is a little misleading.

Items have dominant and secondary stats.  The dominant stat will always be 'worth more'. example MF is always considered dominant.

So a 3% MF difference is a bit more than "a couple stat points".  Specifically here we see that 3 MF is in place of a "34" "45" "67" "101"  in a different stat depending on the slot.   So what may look like a +3 is actually more than +3.  That's on top of the already +5 x2 shown in the example given in the blog.(my first link)

Good thing crit damage % isn't a dominant stat.  Even so, if they include equal crit damage increases to the new gear it will impactful.  In the case of a dual wielder, you have 14 gear slots.  An increase of at least 1% would have to be present for crit damage which amounts to +14% crit damage over people without ascended gear.  This is the minimum increase.(margin of error being 2?)

On a 5k crit that's 700 extra damage.

Furthermore, in the blog post she said they plan to extend this further than rings/back.   Once you add together the difference between a full set of exotics versus ascended you can actually have something a lot more significant "a few points".

Let us not forget the awful LotRO-esque "radiance" system.

tl:dr= The actual potential the stat increase makes is nothing to scoff at.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

First they gave in and created hearts, ruining the DE system on most of the world.
    Then artifical stat gates.

*Put's out his ONLY A BOX PRICE joker*

Originally posted by Cavod

Hey guys and/or gals making light of the stats, you might like to hear this about GW2 stat distribution on gear and know that the image posted is a little misleading.

Items have dominant and secondary stats.  The dominant stat will always be 'worth more'. example MF is always considered dominant.

So a 3% MF difference is a bit more than "a couple stat points".  Specifically here we see that 3 MF is in place of a "34" "45" "67" "101"  in a different stat depending on the slot.   So what may look like a +3 is actually more than +3.  That's on top of the already +5 x2 shown in the example given in the blog.(my first link)

Good thing crit damage % isn't a dominant stat.  Even so, if they include equal crit damage increases to the new gear it will impactful.  In the case of a dual wielder, you have 14 gear slots.  An increase of at least 1% would have to be present for crit damage which amounts to +14% crit damage over people without ascended gear.  This is the minimum increase.(margin of error being 2?)

On a 5k crit that's 700 extra damage.

Furthermore, in the blog post she said they plan to extend this further than rings/back.   Once you add together the difference between a full set of exotics versus ascended you can actually have something a lot more significant "a few points".

Let us not forget the awful LotRO-esque "radiance" system.

tl:dr= The actual potential the stat increase makes is nothing to scoff at.

Thanks for posting that. We already had several math class failures in this post. "Oh look its 2 points! Oh look its 6 points" 

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

People don't seem to understand that Infusions are only effective in this new dungeon.

It doesn't effect rest of the PvE.

It's good that ArenaNet make content for all kinds of players. Stop your bitch ass whining..GW2 is a game for everyone.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

People don't seem to understand that Infusions are only effective in this new dungeon.

It's good that ArenaNet make content for all kinds of players. Stop your bitch ass whining..GW2 is a game for everyone.

Nice change in tone there lol.

Earlier it was a game only for casuals who want nothign more than cosmetic end game and those who wanted gear progression (like me) were looked down upon and were even referred to as 'plague'.

And now suddenly GW2 is for eveyone. ;)

I am however happy with the new gear progression, i am playing GW2 again.

Ok everyone. Try this again.

First item, power stat. 50+18 is 68

Second item, power stat. 48+15 is 63

Now potentially add that up across and entire set of items. We all know chest slot and leg slot have higher margins than that. 

Now all the article speaks of (so thats what we have to go by) is putting these items into dungeons. Before we had the option to buy crafted gear, dungeon crawl, random drop or WvW for our exotics. You say this game is for everyone and yet to me this smells like vanilla WOW. Having to go back into dungeons to stay on par for WvW. It also does not fit with the design mentality they have spoken about in the past. 

Edit - On the infusion spot.. That is nothing but a gated gear check. PERIOD. Just like resists in vanilla WoW. Just like the radiance in LOTRO. Both of which have been scrapped at this point. We are making the same mistakes AGAIN. 

Now potentially add that up across and entire set of items. We all know chest slot and leg slot have higher margins than that. 

Now all the article speaks of (so thats what we have to go by) is putting these items into dungeons. Before we had the option to buy crafted gear, dungeon crawl, random drop or WvW for our exotics. You say this game is for everyone and yet to me this smells like vanilla WOW. Having to go back into dungeons to stay on par for WvW. It also does not fit with the design mentality they have spoken about in the past. 

The number on those stats are so small it doesn't matter. Player skill > stat difference

No one ever whined at exotics and that they had to either run dungeons or craft them. The big thing with this is Infusions and they don't even effect your power outside the new dungeon.

This is a good update for those that enjoy dungeon crawling and ofc people like you need to whine on the forums of how much it ruins GW2.

Learn to play.

The number on those stats are so small it doesn't matter. Player skill > stat difference

No one ever whined at exotics and that they had to either run dungeons or craft them. The big thing with this is Infusions and they don't even effect your power outside the new dungeon.

This is a good update for those that enjoy dungeon crawling and ofc people like you need to whine on the forums of how much it ruins GW2.

Learn to play.

All the points go right over your head. 

People didn't whine about exotics because exotics were suppose to be the cap. I could craft them (by myself), I could buy them off the TP, I could find them in random world drops, I could buy them with WvW tokens, I could buy them from Orr vendors and I could get them from dungeons (wow amazing). They were going to be the top tier gear (as stated) and then we had other gear that was cosmetic. 

As pointed out by others (so I'm not going to do math a third time cause your just avoiding it on purpose) this is a meaninful stat increase once you accumulate a set. 

If you want to add a new tier (which is disagree with) it needs to be just like the previous tier. There should be multiple ways to obtain it. The dungeon crawling demo is not the only demo in this game. Thats half the reason they have the population that they do. 

Learn not to be a lemming. 

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

And this is the last nail in the coffin of MMO "revolution". Welcome to yet another WoW clone.

/yawn

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    This is great news. The other system wasn't working and guilds were falling apart because there was no reason to do anything together except pvp. Dungeon rewards weren't good enough to make them worth doing.

Is there something documented where arena net said they would never do this? Or us this something the fans or haters just assumed?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Learn to play.

All the points go right over your head. 

People didn't whine about exotics because exotics were suppose to be the cap. I could craft them (by myself), I could buy them off the TP, I could find them in random world drops, I could buy them with WvW tokens, I could buy them from Orr vendors and I could get them from dungeons (wow amazing). They were going to be the top tier gear (as stated) and then we had other gear that was cosmetic. 

As pointed out by others (so I'm not going to do math a third time cause your just avoiding it on purpose) this is a meaninful stat increase once you accumulate a set. 

If you want to add a new tier (which is disagree with) it needs to be just like the previous tier. There should be multiple ways to obtain it. The dungeon crawling demo is not the only demo in this game. Thats half the reason they have the population that they do. 

Learn not to be a lemming. 

You can craft it and do the dungeons. If you don't like dungeons, craft it. You may get it other ways aswell, they haven't told us yet.

It's not a big difference in stat unless you're a total noob that can't play.

This discussion has been closed.