Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top hype on MMORPG.COM?

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
Told ya real MMO's get peoples attention quicker.  Not many real MMORPG's on the market.  Most are watered down WoW clones.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

tell me something about that game, what makes it a real MMO?

never heard about it to be honest, why should I be excited?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• TalintTalint Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Not bashing on Darkfall: UW at all.... but GW2 was once the top hype too...

Non sibi sed patriae

• localhero95localhero95 Member Posts: 16

-Brutal fast-paced twitch combat

-Full Loot

-HD graphics

-realistic and deep crafting

-fluid and interesting skill system

-BEST world any game has to offer

-Diplomatic pvp system with keeps and such very deep

- oh and your mother

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Talint

Haha true.

I just hope AV will make it right this time, because I`m more hyped than ever.

8 days to go   +  the usual AV delay

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I'm pumped too.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• Jester92Jester92 Member Posts: 156
    ass! I have made it a habit of avoiding this game entirely to prevent myself from even looking at it to prevent me from going nuts about the fact that it will no doubt be the best hardcore mmorpg to be released in years, better yet ever!  I am beyond excited to know that I will only be tortured thinking about this game for another 7 days though.

J. B.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by Talint

Cuz its free and its good. Thats why it was and still is on top.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698
    Originally posted by FromHell

What features of the game don't support the MMO model?

Two servers each with thousands of players. (MMO requirement satisfied)

RPG elements:

One character.

Choose a race.

Choose a role.

Level up skills.

Craft every item in the game.

Player created market. (global market things are post-launch, so I don't know how that will change)

Fight for territory, control land.

Lose it.

Take it back.

I presume you're going to declare the game a MOBA, and not a Massively Multiplayer Online game.

Massively. Multiplayer. Online. 

Check, check, check. 

RPG elements? Your character, your elaborate inventory, your chosen skills/build.

At cap what do you do?

Instead of fighting for raid gear, you improve your player-side skill, rather than the gifted skills that come with high stat items in other games.

It's an MMO (for sure, this is true by definition), it's an RPG, too, that's my wager.

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    Originally posted by Murdus

RPG elements:

One character.

Choose a race.

Choose a role.

Level up skills.

Player created market. (global market things are post-launch, so I don't know how that will change)

Lose it.

Take it back.

I presume you're going to declare the game a MOBA, and not a Massively Multiplayer Online game.

Check, check, check. 

RPG elements? Your character, your elaborate inventory, your chosen skills/build.

At cap what do you do?

Instead of fighting for raid gear, you improve your player-side skill, rather than the gifted skills that come with high stat items in other games.

It's an MMO (for sure, this is true by definition), it's an RPG, too, that's my wager.

I like this guy :D +100

• Jamman95Jamman95 Member Posts: 9
    I agree Murdus rocks : )

A Clan inspired by the Roman Republic

Why serve when you could rule in the Imperium

http://imperiumclan.freeforums.org/index.php

• DroganicusDroganicus Member Posts: 17
    Darkfall = awesome sauce.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

RPG elements:

One character.

Choose a race.

Choose a role.

Level up skills.

Lose it.

Take it back.

Check, check, check. 

At cap what do you do?

QFT

All other games suck.

Darkfall only, forever.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by localhero95

-Brutal fast-paced twitch combat

-Full Loot

-HD graphics

-realistic and deep crafting

-fluid and interesting skill system

-BEST world any game has to offer

-Diplomatic pvp system with keeps and such very deep

- oh and your mother

It may not have full loot ( which is cool btw ) but to me a REAL PvP game is Planetside 2 , where being social means you taking bases and keeping them ect, massive sandbox world and has THE best game world I have ever seen , even better than the first Darkfall.

Darkfall UW looks interesting but we saw the same hype train with Darkfall and that game bombed, lets hope that this time they get it right, because if we don't have a fantasy PvP game done right well,.. all we are left with is GW2 and the PvP in that game got boring after a month or two.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    I'm so god damn hyped for Darkfall UW.. it's unreal. Problems or not I'm going to love the fresh start of a new Darkfall. I've been playing non-stop War Z in anticipation, but it can't quentch the thirst.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    I don't understand this hype. I'm not aware of one thing that is promised now that wasn't promised for the original darkfall. The original darkfall was a disappointment for me. The combat didn't live up to the references they made to mount and blade, the playerbase was full of griefers, the pve was poor and the “city building aspects” and territorial wars were lackluster. I haven't looked back at darkfall since it disappointed me originally and I see no reason to start now.
  • MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698
    Originally posted by Aeolron

It may not have full loot ( which is cool btw ) but to me a REAL PvP game is Planetside 2 , where being social means you taking bases and keeping them ect, massive sandbox world and has THE best game world I have ever seen , even better than the first Darkfall.

Oof! The best game world you've ever seen is a huge statement. While it's purely opinion, I have to disagree with this, for me personally.

Planetside2, much like Planetside1, has a very stagnant and unchanging world. The colors on the map definitely change, and the feel of each base is different depending on what team your on, but other than that it really isn't all that interactive. The buildings are copypasta from here to there and the bases have a very similar feel (most of them). The two continents I played were identical in playstyle.

Guild Wars 2's is vastly more detailed, albeit as instanced as it is. Even WoW's detail trumps anything Planetside2 set out to accomplish.

More on topic, without being social, you can't so much as own a hamlet (small player holding) in Darkfall. Sieges take immense planning and players are there for a purpose. In smaller-time non-zergy sieges, each player holds the victory and if they do their best, either they win or they walk away from a great fight and learn new strategies for next time.

Planetside2's world is one without loss. It's PvP is without loss. No fear. You die with little no penalty to your character whatsoever. Aside from that, you can play the game without saying a single word to anyone and succeed (not recommended).

Darkfall:UW and Planetside2 are almost too different to compare. Darkfall's depth is beyond Planetside2's, and that's just regarding personal belongings/inventory.

Clans in Darkfall define the world, whereas Planetside2 it seems that the whole entirety of the massive armies defines it. Darkfall is more personal, and rightly so. 

Planetside2 is an MMOFPS and D:UW is a MMORPG/FPS/thing. They're two different types of games, at least in my eyes.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Fantastic PvE!!! errr wait...uncheck.

I'll wait and see if they have improved the PvE before we anoint this game as super duper fantastic for anyone but PvP fanatics.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by ozmono
    I don't understand this hype. I'm not aware of one thing that is promised now that wasn't promised for the original darkfall. The original darkfall was a disappointment for me. The combat didn't live up to the references they made to mount and blade, the playerbase was full of griefers, the pve was poor and the “city building aspects” and territorial wars were lackluster. I haven't looked back at darkfall since it disappointed me originally and I see no reason to start now.

Same thing for me, more or less. I really want this game to live up to all the hype it had since the original, but I fail to see how they will deliver. This game could be THE sandbox MMO that most people want, but I really doubt it will. If they are able to deliver, I will be more than happy to join the fun. I just hope they fixed some issues I had with the game, primarily that stupid macro/script style combat, worst thing to put in a "supposedly" skill based combat, it takes the skill completely out of it.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

the darkfall bots are at it again :(

no way darkfall was the highest viewed game when there hadnt been a patch or any information for over 5 mnoths and games like sw tor etc were jsut about to relase andit had double the number of views. This time there is abit of hype for DF UW but its just the bots returning to make it the highest on the chart.

this is an mmorpg i am looking forward to but i guarantee it isnt number 1 legit

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Oof! The best game world you've ever seen is a huge statement. While it's purely opinion, I have to disagree with this, for me personally.

Planetside2, much like Planetside1, has a very stagnant and unchanging world. The colors on the map definitely change, and the feel of each base is different depending on what team your on, but other than that it really isn't all that interactive. The buildings are copypasta from here to there and the bases have a very similar feel (most of them). The two continents I played were identical in playstyle.

Guild Wars 2's is vastly more detailed, albeit as instanced as it is. Even WoW's detail trumps anything Planetside2 set out to accomplish.

More on topic, without being social, you can't so much as own a hamlet (small player holding) in Darkfall. Sieges take immense planning and players are there for a purpose. In smaller-time non-zergy sieges, each player holds the victory and if they do their best, either they win or they walk away from a great fight and learn new strategies for next time.

Planetside2's world is one without loss. It's PvP is without loss. No fear. You die with little no penalty to your character whatsoever. Aside from that, you can play the game without saying a single word to anyone and succeed (not recommended).

Darkfall:UW and Planetside2 are almost too different to compare. Darkfall's depth is beyond Planetside2's, and that's just regarding personal belongings/inventory.

Clans in Darkfall define the world, whereas Planetside2 it seems that the whole entirety of the massive armies defines it. Darkfall is more personal, and rightly so. 

Planetside2 is an MMOFPS and D:UW is a MMORPG/FPS/thing. They're two different types of games, at least in my eyes.

While i'll agree with you that DF:UW and PS2 are two different games, but saying the world in PS2 is stagnant and saying that WoW's world is better? Really? Come on, at least in PS2 you have thousands of players in a persistant world either flying , running, or driving, and the detail put into PS2 is actualy very nice and polished.

Thing is when you talk about Depth you went as far as items/inventory, thats not depth at all , thats a form of progression ,by defeating a player and looting his corpse , it's relative at best , because when you die to another player he will take your gear and the gear you just looted so no real depth at all.

But yeah your right , I guess dying afew times in PS2 and not able to take back a base that has resources for flight and mechanized transport is not a loss because you don't loose anything like you do in DF, and I don't know about you , but when someone kills me , I go out of my way to find that person LOL.

As far as player bases are concerned they are actualy putting that into the game, but I wouldn't go as far as saying copy and paste , because DF used alot of that, from the boring combat, horrible combat animations ect the list goes on and on, but hey , at least since the launch of PS1 2003 , the game is still going strong, can we say the same about DF? Last I checked that game was a ghost town because of those issues I mentioned.

I do hope they get it right for DF:UW , but seeing the combat and the " World " it leaves much to be desired , nothing special , hell even GW2 was fantastic for alittle while but got boring fast just seeing the same old same old combat animations of every other MMORPG all tied into one game , at least in games like PS2 you have a sense of team work, constant battles, and yes there are tactics that work and some that don't , you can have a well organized group of players take on anumber of bases against an army and still win depending on those tactics , so to answer your question, yes PS2 has alot of planning in squads to determine what is the best course of action.

The only thing that will turn alot of people off of DF is the griefers, but if they release a PvE server that might off set it abit, but then the players will see how horrible the animations are and wonder why they are playing this game in the first place.

Sory for the wall of text , but after playing DF , and after all the exploits , bugs and glitches the game had , you can't blame me for being careful with another one of Aventurine's games.

P.S A good example , take a look on how The Warz is doing, people hyped the crap outta that game and it frigan sucks! There's aleady petition going around about people trying to get their money back. Just be careful is all, because Aventurine's first forey into the mmorpg genre didn't go over very well.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

There is absolutely nothing and I say again, nothing sandbox about Planetside 2.

You saying that just fortifies my view that 90% of players and 99% of developers have absolutely no idea what a sandbox means.

Sandbox MMO 2012 = Lobby game with destructible barrels (with nothing in them) in the dungeons.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

No instancing, zoning, phasing, or dungeon finders.

Focus on socializing and player generated content, and interdependency.

Thousands of people in the same world.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by -Zeno-
    Told ya real MMO's get peoples attention quicker.  Not many real MMORPG's on the market.  Most are watered down WoW clones.

A  few hundred monkeys bashing the hype button does not make a good game.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by localhero95

-Brutal fast-paced twitch combat-Full Loot-HD graphics-realistic and deep crafting-fluid and interesting skill system-BEST world any game has to offer-Diplomatic pvp system with keeps and such very deep- oh and your mother

Best world any game has to offer lol, Vanguard trumps darkfalls world in scale and looks. No instancing or phasing, open world housing which are totally player made from the mortar to the bricks and wallpaper. Vast player made guild houses and shipz of all types, some small and some vast.

Full controlable flying mounts and over 50 different land mounts to get around in the vast world. On top of that Vanguards has a very realistic weather system.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    It's not that Darkffall has all this amazing hype. it's more that theres really nothing interesting on the horizon. The top 5 on the hype meter are completely interchangable imo. Go talk to your gamer friends in real life and ask about Darkfall and most if not all won't know what the heck you are talking about.