Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV Bahamuth Video

1235»

Comments

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Jetrpg
    Im sorry this thread is crazy. Its a fmv, a movie it has no value as a game , doesn't tell you anythign about the game, its worth near nothing as far as improving game experince. Hype over it is sad as its totlly not critical nor logical, other than to say yeah nice video , now lets see the game.

This movie isn't intended to hype the game. It's intended to bring closure to the story arc of 1.0. It just happens to do so in an amazing and epic way.

That said, videos hyping 2.0 have already been released - CGI and gameplay videos alike, though they've been based on earlier Alpha builds of the game and limited content.

I think we'll see more going forward now as they're getting full-blown into the testing phase 2.0/ARR.

Was it free?

No i assume ?

That was money devoted to 1 shot fluff vs development. Its hype. No matter how it fits into the world. Ie "worth near nothing as far as improving game experince".

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Im sorry this thread is crazy. Its a fmv, a movie it has no value as a game , doesn't tell you anythign about the game, its worth near nothing as far as improving game experince. Hype over it is sad as its totlly not critical nor logical, other than to say yeah nice video , now lets see the game.

This movie isn't intended to hype the game. It's intended to bring closure to the story arc of 1.0. It just happens to do so in an amazing and epic way.

That said, videos hyping 2.0 have already been released - CGI and gameplay videos alike, though they've been based on earlier Alpha builds of the game and limited content.

I think we'll see more going forward now as they're getting full-blown into the testing phase 2.0/ARR.

Was it free?

No i assume ?

That was money devoted to 1 shot fluff vs development. Its hype. No matter how it fits into the world. Ie "worth near nothing as far as improving game experince".

Okay, you're not understanding what I'm saying. Or you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

First, the video was intended to bring closure to 1.0's storyline for those who already own the game. The events in the movie immediately follow the in-game storyline events taking place right up until the servers were taken down.

It's for the people who were there for 1.0's story arc and conclusion. It's not intended to bring new people in, as the events taking place will not ever be repeated in 'A Realm Reborn" and you couldn't create an account and start playing now if you wanted to.

Second, I said very specifically - in fact I'll quote myself directly:

"That said, videos hyping 2.0 have already been released - CGI and gameplay videos alike, though they've been based on earlier Alpha builds of the game and limited content."

I said right there that, yes, there are hype videos for 2.0 already being released. However, the "End of An Era" video is not a hype video created for 2.0.  It's not a marketing maneuver, any more than any other cut-scene in the game. It's an epic send-off for those who've stuck with the game through the past two years and played through the storyline.

Will it help to get interest in 2.0? Perhaps.

Was it created specifically for that purpose? No.

Just like someone else in this thread, you're looking for things that aren't there.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Was it free?

No i assume ?

Okay, you're not understanding what I'm saying. Or you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

First, the video was intended to bring closure to 1.0's storyline for those who already own the game. The events in the movie immediately follow the in-game storyline events taking place right up until the servers were taken down.

It's for the people who were there for 1.0's story arc and conclusion. It's not intended to bring new people in, as the events taking place will not ever be repeated in 'A Realm Reborn" and you couldn't create an account and start playing now if you wanted to.

Second, I said very specifically - in fact I'll quote myself directly:

"That said, videos hyping 2.0 have already been released - CGI and gameplay videos alike, though they've been based on earlier Alpha builds of the game and limited content."

I said right there that, yes, there are hype videos for 2.0 already being released. However, the "End of An Era" video is not a hype video created for 2.0.  It's not a marketing maneuver, any more than any other cut-scene in the game. It's an epic send-off for those who've stuck with the game through the past two years and played through the storyline.

Will it help to get interest in 2.0? Perhaps.

Was it created specifically for that purpose? No.

Just like someone else in this thread, you're looking for things that aren't there.

+1

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by mymmo

Holy molly. You are taking things personal. Take it easy. 

And no. I have not figured something out. Its there, from my view point. Its there and I like to express what I see, that is why I am on a mmorpg forum d i s c u s s i n g my view point. The same thing as you are doning with your post. But Im doing it from a different stand point. 

This "A realm reborn" video is a copy paste from word of warcraft:catalysm. Look for yourself

And to be clear. I liked what I saw in this video. I do understand its importance for the ones that have played the game. Its a good handcraft that will mostly create a good setting for this re-start of the FFXIV. But I do also see the flaws. 

And it dosent matter for me if it has been in pipeline for years. I see what I see. Its about similarities between games. And good for you that you do not seem them. 

First, I'm not taking it personally at all. You're simply wrong, and I'm pointing out why.

Second, you are obviously not just d i s c u s s i n g anything. You're making an assertion. You're accusing SE of "copying and pasting" something from another game. People have come back explaining why that isn't so, and you've continued to argue it. Remarks like, "Its the anti thesis of fantasy when developers are copy/pasting stuff." is not discussion. It's not an open question. It's an accusation.

Second, as for it "being a copy and paste of the Cataclysm video".

Well...

First that's complete hyperbole and you know it.

Second, you're shifting goal posts now. You started off alluding to GW2 by talking about it being a copy of a game "that did the same exact thing a couple months ago". I pointed out how that would be chronologically and logistically impossible given the time-frame (among other reasons). So now, instead of conceding the point (as you should have), you conveniently change your argument  to make it about Cataclysm. Yes, I noticed. In fact, I expected you to do just that. And you didn't disappoint. Well done!

You've already started wavering and waffling on your argument, which means your argument wasn't a strong one to begin with. What you are doing at this point is grasping at straws, because you won't let yourself accept that you were wrong. Your argument has already been disproved, you just won't accept it. Don't worry, it happens a lot around here. You're in good company.

Second, I did watch that Cata video. Many times. I dug it. It even got me excited for Cataclysm back at the time. It's nothing like the FFXIV video. The only similarities are: Dragon and Stuff getting messed up. That's it. Everything else is different. The only "copying and pasting" taking place is in your imagination. The dragons are canon in both settings, and in the case of FFXIV, Bahamut has often been the bringer of destruction to the worlds he engages. It's kind of his thing. So, again, SE is not "copying and pasting" anything. They're being 100% consistent to their own lore and canon.

I realize you're committed to this premise and so you have to find any little angle you think will work to try and "prove it". I fully expect you to continue shifting the goal-post and trying to find new points to argue. You're making connections where none exist, but for in your mind.

Personally, I'd give it up and accept it's a similiarty (which can be found going much farther back than either game), but I don't think you will. I fully expect you'll be back, trying to find some other angle to argue instead.

How the hell can Ive wrong? You are arguing like the ones that just has taken a 101 arugmention course + a freaking psychology 101 when you are writting your silly forecast. Its just distresful to see how you are taking my opinion and makes into something else by assuming things that you have in your own head - just see how you believed that I refered to GW2 just because I did write in months... Its just plain silly. And you should understand how discussion and statements are working before you are trying to argue from someones point of view. So stop your waffling. 

And yes, the lore around the Bahamut is what you said. But then again it has just recently been done, not in one game, but apprently in two games. To restart  a franchise, that is in the dirt, by doing this kind of stuff...its just mind blowing bad. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

First, I'm not taking it personally at all. You're simply wrong, and I'm pointing out why.

Second, you are obviously not just d i s c u s s i n g anything. You're making an assertion. You're accusing SE of "copying and pasting" something from another game. People have come back explaining why that isn't so, and you've continued to argue it. Remarks like, "Its the anti thesis of fantasy when developers are copy/pasting stuff." is not discussion. It's not an open question. It's an accusation.

Second, as for it "being a copy and paste of the Cataclysm video".

Well...

First that's complete hyperbole and you know it.

Second, you're shifting goal posts now. You started off alluding to GW2 by talking about it being a copy of a game "that did the same exact thing a couple months ago". I pointed out how that would be chronologically and logistically impossible given the time-frame (among other reasons). So now, instead of conceding the point (as you should have), you conveniently change your argument  to make it about Cataclysm. Yes, I noticed. In fact, I expected you to do just that. And you didn't disappoint. Well done!

You've already started wavering and waffling on your argument, which means your argument wasn't a strong one to begin with. What you are doing at this point is grasping at straws, because you won't let yourself accept that you were wrong. Your argument has already been disproved, you just won't accept it. Don't worry, it happens a lot around here. You're in good company.

Second, I did watch that Cata video. Many times. I dug it. It even got me excited for Cataclysm back at the time. It's nothing like the FFXIV video. The only similarities are: Dragon and Stuff getting messed up. That's it. Everything else is different. The only "copying and pasting" taking place is in your imagination. The dragons are canon in both settings, and in the case of FFXIV, Bahamut has often been the bringer of destruction to the worlds he engages. It's kind of his thing. So, again, SE is not "copying and pasting" anything. They're being 100% consistent to their own lore and canon.

I realize you're committed to this premise and so you have to find any little angle you think will work to try and "prove it". I fully expect you to continue shifting the goal-post and trying to find new points to argue. You're making connections where none exist, but for in your mind.

Personally, I'd give it up and accept it's a similiarty (which can be found going much farther back than either game), but I don't think you will. I fully expect you'll be back, trying to find some other angle to argue instead.

How the hell can Ive wrong? You are arguing like the ones that just has taken a 101 arugmention course + a freaking psychology 101 when you are writting your silly forecast. Its just distresful to see how you are taking my opinion and makes into something else by assuming things that you have in your own head - just see how you believed that I refered to GW2 just because I did write in months... Its just plain silly. And you should understand how discussion and statements are working before you are trying to argue from someones point of view. So stop your waffling. 

And yes, the lore around the Bahamut is what you said. But then again it has just recently been done, not in one game, but apprently in two games. To restart  a franchise, that is in the dirt, by doing this kind of stuff...its just mind blowing bad. 

No...It's rather good. Bahamuth destroying the world is the best possible ending.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Psshh, didn't you get the memo: now that WoW has done an end of the world theme, all other possible ends of the world are cliche and boring.  It could have been anything destroying the world and people will think of WoW. 

Zombies destroying the world: WotLK

Ice destroying the world: WotLK

Demons: BC

Giant Dragon: Cata

World totally broken and changed: Cata

An excuse to release an updated world: Cata

New Classes and races released with expansion: WoW did it.

Bending and Changing history to your will: WoW did it.

Pirates: WoW did it.

Solo Content: WoW did it.

It's an MMO: WoW did it.

It has classes: WoW did it.

It's a game: WoW did it.

Now do you understand why it's all so cliche!?

/end sarcasm

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

Double Post

How the hell can Ive wrong? Because you're making an assertion that is not supported by the arguments you put forth. You're taking something that is only marginally similar, based on a theme pre-dating Blizzard, ANet and even Squaresoft (nevermind Square-Enix), and then leveling a rather serious accusation at SE over it.

Its just distresful to see how you are taking my opinion and makes into something else by assuming things that you have in your own head - I have no assumptions in my own head. I'm going entirely on what you are saying and responding to it based on the demonstrable facts of the situation.

- just see how you believed that I refered to GW2 just because I did write in months... Its just plain silly.  Is it? I'd call it simple deductive reasoning. What other notable MMO has come out "a couple of months ago" (your words, not mine) that involves dragons raining destruction on the game world?

Cataclysm was released on December 7th, 2010...  just about a month shy of 2 years ago, so that wouldn't be it.

Skyrim came out a year ago, so that's not it.

ArenaNet just released GW2 on August 28th of this year, about 3 months ago and it involves elder dragons who've layed siege to the world... Hmm.... It's a little over 2 months, but I think we have a match!

See how easy that was?

And you should understand how discussion and statements are working before you are trying to argue from someones point of view. So stop your waffling.  Might want to learn what "waffling" means before you accuse others of doing it. My position has been consistent.

I understand perfectly what statements and discussion are. What you're putting forth is not discussion. It's an assertion. You're flat out accusing SE of copying another game company, with nothing but a few tenuous similarities that you've convinced yourself are somehow rock-solid proof of your position. Only they aren't.

No. Wrong. The lore around Bahamut has not just been recently done.  He's been a part of Final Fantasy canon since the beginning. His role has pretty much always been near the top of the food-chain in terms of dieties/summons/primals/eidolons, etc. He's the king of Wyrms, the God of Eidolons.. pretty much one of the ultimate badasses of the FF universe.
    If you read through its history across the games, you'll even see some resemblence to his appearance/presence in FFXIV so far. Of particular note is his role in FF IV where he's considerd the God of Eidolons, and resides on a Red Moon. Red moon... Dalamud... coincidence? Considering Yoshi-P has noted that they've been bringing references and concepts from previous FF titles into XIV, I don't think so.  It's certainly a far more solid and plausible scenario than "oh, they're just copying and pasting anothe video".
    As for your final statement. Again, I see you're still stuck on the "they're copying Anet... Oh that's not logistically possible? Oh! Well then, I really meant Blizzard. They're copying Blizzard" kick. That's fine. It's your prerogative, and there's no shame in being wrong. It becomes rather embarassing, though, when you stubbornly refuse to admit it.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    final fantasy cloning itself since 1987.

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360
    Originally posted by DarknessReign
    final fantasy cloning itself since 1987.

yeah because Every FF has the same story , same characters ,same battle system and same gameplay .....

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Khebeln
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Ok, so somehow SE just made Deathwing and Zaithan look like muppet babies.  I'm speechless - amazing trailer.  (Maybe I'm getting a bit over hyped :P)

You just read my mind here m8, Deathwing looks like a child of a special care next to him ^^

this made me lol. scared my dog.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    @skuall your missing the point. FF has 25 years of history , lore . More then ANY RPG or mmo .

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Official synopsis of the Video.

Immediately following this amazing end to two years of turbulence and triumphs both, Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida went out with the Letter from the Producer LIVE Part IV discussing the upcoming FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn to launch next year for both PC and PlayStation 3.

While the letter was in Japanese, you can read the Live Tweets accumulated in this Q&A thread on the official FINAL FANTASY XIV forums by the Community Team.

The FINAL FANTASY XIV we've known since its launch in 2010 has come to a conclusion, but as the trailer says, every end marks a new beginning. We at Square Enix Members are with you adventurers looking forward to the Beta test to usher in a new era for the land of Eorzea. We'll be there covering all the new updates that come from the development team and spreading the word on the latest for the upcoming adventure FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn!

Take heed however, and prepare yourself as the below helps to explain the tumultuous circumstances surrounding this ending trailer.

Eorzea. A Land embraced by Gods and forged by Heroes.

Seeking control over this realm and its abundant crystal resources, the Garlean Empire (a scientifically advanced nation hailing from the north) begins gathering an army of epic proportions. To ready themselves for the coming conflict, the city-states of Eorzea reinstate the Grand Companies?comprehensive centers of command which combine the commonwealths' military and economic assets. However, the commander of the invading forces, VIIth Imperial Legion Legatus Nael van Darnus (a.k.a. “White Raven”), has plans of his own. Driven by madness, he silently plots to usher in a more permanent form of devastation: Meteor.

The Meteor project is comprised of a complex scheme employing arcane magicks and lost technology to summon the lesser moon down to Eorzea in an attempt to annihilate the realm's inhabitants in one fell stroke. Dalamud, as the celestial object is commonly known, is revealed to be a colossal machine launched thousands of years ago into the planet's orbit by an ancient civilization.

Realizing the futility of standing alone against such a threat, the Grand Companies put aside deep-rooted differences and consolidate their forces under the banner of the Eorzean Alliance.

At the behest of this new confederation, adventurers from across the realm take up arms and march on the floating islands of Rivenroad. Here, the brave heroes confront Nael van Darnus, and after a heated battle, put him to the sword. But by this time, the White Raven's plan is too far along, and Dalamud continues its descent.

In an eleventh-hour bid to save mankind, the Grand Companies turn to Louisoix, an enigmatic scholar hailing from the forgotten city-state of Sharlayan. The 'Archon,' as he is called, devises a plan to summon the power of the Twelve, Eorzea’s pantheon of guardian deities, and use that power to banish Dalamud back to the heavens. But for this to succeed, the rite needs to be performed directly beneath the point of Dalamud's impact. After several sleepless nights of deliberation by the realm's foremost arcanists and astronomers, that point is determined to be a vast swathe of barren lowlands in central Eorzea known as the Carteneau Flats. With this information in hand, the Grand Companies order the immediate mobilization of their forces.

Unbeknownst to the Alliance, the soldiers of the VIIth Imperial Legion, oblivious to their leader's dark intentions, have also begun gathering in central Eorzea. Ordered to defend the area with their lives, they prepare for a fight, unaware that victory will bring about their own demise.

And so, with two great hosts amassed, the Battle of Carteneau begins.

Both sides fight with a desperation-fueled frenzy, neither yielding the other ground, until from the skies, a great roar issues.  Dalamud has begun its final metamorphosis. In a matter of moments, the stone and metal of the moon's crust crumble away to reveal none other than the elder primal, Bahamut, now free from his ancient prison.

And thus do the people of Eorzea learn what it is that truly faces them. Never was it the White Raven's intention to blight the realm with Dalamud, but what slumbered within it.

Enraged after aeons of duress, Bahamut unleashes his wrath upon the realm, spewing forth endless fire and destruction. Louisoix quickly conjures a barrier to protect what remains of the Eorzean Alliance, and then begins the arcane rite that will channel the power of the Twelve and focus it into rebinding Bahamut. The sheer force of the primal, however, is too strong for even the Archon, and his efforts fail.

Realizing the end is nigh, Louisoix summons the last of his strength to call upon Althyk, the Keeper, god of space and time, to send those surviving heroes into an aetherial rift, where they are to remain untouched by the passing of the seasons until it is once again safe to emerge...and continue their struggle to forge Eorzea's future.

We await the return of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn, and will look for you fellow adventurers in the dawn of a new Eorzea!

Robert "Hvinire" Peeler
    Community Manager, the dusted silhouette on Dalamud's ashes
    @SQEX_MEMBERS_NA

Source

http://na.square-enix.com/finalfantasyxivarealmreborn/go/article/view/blog/260831/final_fantasy_xiv:_a_realm_reborn_end_of_an_era

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    SE certainly knows how to make a great trailer.  I still have no desire to try the game, but I'd be lying if I said that trailer didn't give me chills!  So thank you, SE, for those 5 minutes of free entertainment!