Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will disney's ownership of star wars effect SWTOR?

So, it just came to me recently, disney bought the rights to the star wars IP, while I'm sure all lisencing deals made before they bought it are still intact, do you see this effecting SWTOR, for the better or worse? Do you think if Disney decided to buy all the active lisences as well, could it save the game or ruin it entirely?

Playing
Nothing
waiting for
The secret world
Played
WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i think the only way disney would step in is if they see the game casting a bad light on the franchise. 
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

To gamers? Possibly

To Investors? Initially, yes (maybe longestanding too).  A caption on front page of the Wall Street Journal marketplace secion (early November) read something like "Lucasarts joins Mickey Mouse".

To me?  Honestly if someone else is writing movie scrpips for George Lucas, that can only be a good thing!   I don't think SWTOR will be affected, because the time period is different.  Also Disney can't change the deal between LA and EA (although with the freemium model I'd think EA was TRYING to get out of the deal & trying to tank their game).

There has been enough tention to motivate this viral YouTube original video:

The Star Wars That I Uses To Know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlbPXZEpRE

Maybe George Lucas got the hint ...

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I could see disney breaking away from EAware due to losing faith.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57

Its only a matter of time ......

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

new character models incoming ...

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Sagethorn

LOL!

Biebers got to get into the SWTOR male slave outfit first.  Then he will be accepted, maybe.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

omg this thread is epic!

Awesomesauce!

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

I wouldn't be too surprised if Disney ends up pulling the plug on this train wreck

There's so much bad blood about SWTOR, it DOES impact the image of the franchise.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Disney takes an IP (like Star Wars) and markets products for it on multiple fronts. When the new movies come out in a couple of years I fully expect books, comics, TV Shows (animated and perhaps live action), toys, and products for mobile devices and gaming platforms. Will they really want to support SWTOR as competition for their new take on the IP? They have the capitol to buy EA out of it. Will EA even want to hold on to it if F2P doesn't net a good return? Disney could just release their own game and retcon the old republic as some sort of alternate reality adventure and "not the real thing" only they produce as owners of the IP...

I honestly don't know what will happen with SWTOR or the IP over the next few years. But you can be sure money will drive it all.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Karteli

LOL!

Biebers got to get into the SWTOR male slave outfit first.  Then he will be accepted, maybe.

breaking news for you : bieber and selena gomez broke up .congratz . http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/entertainment/12-Nov-2012/justin-bieber-selena-gomez-part-ways

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    There's coming a day when EA will be right up there with MCI and other has-beens

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

That is some epic photo, will Bruno Mars be Lando?

• bigronbigron Member Posts: 42
    Doubt it'll have any impact. Depends on the conditions of the initial license agreement with EA, though. They probably can use X brand w/in Y scope for Z years.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Tbh, no. I don't think they will influence SWTOR in any way.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Jonoku

Can you seeing them paying the massive breach of contact payments when they pull the IP licence too?

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Can you seeing them paying the massive breach of contact payments when they pull the IP licence too?

Could you see EA upsetting a powerhouse like Disney if they wanted to change something about the game, and burning bridges created to the entire Star Wars IP... didnt think so.

Lets use some common sense here people. If Disney wanted to change SWTOR...EA would let them. Not saying its gonna happen

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Could you see EA upsetting a powerhouse like Disney if they wanted to change something about the game, and burning bridges created to the entire Star Wars IP... didnt think so.

Lets use some common sense here people. If Disney wanted to change SWTOR...EA would let them. Not saying its gonna happen

Disney, if nothing else has competent lawyers, and the law favours the status quo, the only time Disney will try and "make" EA change something is if EA introduced something that damages the IP, something so heinous that they would feel they hadn't got a choice, something like playable Gungans.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

The only thing I see happening is that some time in the future Disney might see that it isn't worth keeping profit wise. You know it's all about the money.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

"Affect" not "effect."

And probably. Disney is too powerful a company not to yank the reigns.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Now THAT'S funny! +10

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• Noslack76Noslack76 Member Posts: 9
    swtor is done bioware screwed it up it could have been a lot better
  • DekapitatorDekapitator Member UncommonPosts: 261