Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if TESO ends up a WoW clone, would you still play it?

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Mental.

I hate wow because once you've levelled
    IT IS NOT A MMO

It's a glorified lobby game where you sit queueing / waiting on people before you go and do some INSTANCED pve or pvp.
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    If TESO ends up as a WoW clone I'll vomit as Elder Scrolls enters into a whole new low image
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    It'd take some pretty good 3+ month reviews to play TESO if it's not true to the IP, which it's sounding like it won't be. TES games have always been open-ended quest-based games though.
  • Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    Your poll is to opinionated to many No options. Also ESO will not be like WoW 100%, it'll be a theam park with a sandbox pvp battle region.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

WoW is a EQ clone and still many people play it, i dont see your point.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I won't be playing anymore pure themeparks at all, unless I see something extraordinarily outside the current norm.  So far, TESO is showing me nothing at all that seems exciting.  Sounds like more of the same with a few tweaks here and there.

^^^Pretty much this ^^^

I've had my fill of themepark/WoW clones. I'm hopping off the hamster wheel for a while.

As for the poll question. I think the reason most mmo's are failing within the first 6 months of release is BECAUSE they are all poorly made WoW clones. They at least need to be able to compete with the aging WoW game out of the box. They can't expect players to wait 6 mnths to a year for common features that should be in an mmo when it's released. It's almost 2013, they have got to have the basic features for an mmo if they want to compete.

Eh...

I'd say that it's because the features the new kids on the block have lack longetivity. WoW has the same issue, but it can hold on better because of its heavy entrenchment into the MMO genre, and having such a massive established fanbase helped.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I will play this game no matter what. I love the Elder Scrolls Series. And they said we will be able to explore most of the regions? Sign me in! I don't care if it is what YOU guys call a themepark or not. 

Having a quest system with classes = WoW clone? 

Anyways, I am playing this game no matter what. I know it is not made by Bethesda and I like it this way. I want Bethesda to keep pushing out the TES singleplayer games. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    No freakin´ way, if it ends up to be a WoWclone I will stay away from this by a 6 mile radius

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• HestiaHestia Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Another one of these threads again...
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by fivoroth

I will play this game no matter what. I love the Elder Scrolls Series. And they said we will be able to explore most of the regions? Sign me in! I don't care if it is what YOU guys call a themepark or not. 

Anyways, I am playing this game no matter what. I know it is not made by Bethesda and I like it this way. I want Bethesda to keep pushing out the TES singleplayer games. 

You have the power of choice, explore the new regions in a generic, bland, static, plastic, no meaningful, dumbed down, small enviroment featured by zenimax online or u can w8 for the nexts bethesda TRUE ES. i know i wont spoil my marvelous experience by a quick cash grab.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    Originally posted by fivoroth

You have the power of choice, explore the new regions in a generic, bland, static, plastic, no meaningful, dumbed down, small enviroment featured by zenimax online or u can w8 for the nexts bethesda TRUE ES. i know i wont spoil my marvelous experience by a quick cash grab.

So you have played TESO then? How did you get the job? Is there any more going and can you put a word in?

Or are you just making stuff up?

Dont answer I think i've figured it out

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

Surely the question should be "If TESO turns out to be an EQ clone (like WoW is) would you still play it?"

Only very young teenagers still think that WoW was the first don't they? It's like believing in Santa Claus.

Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

Surely the question should be "If TESO turns out to be an EQ clone (like WoW is) would you still play it?"

Only very young teenagers still think that WoW was the first don't they? It's like believing in Santa Claus.

There is a difference between WoW clones and how WoW "cloned" EQ. WoW borrowed a lot of ideas from EQ but it also improved on a lot of them giving its own twist on pretty much EVERY single thing it borrowed WoW came up with the questing system. EQ was a grindfest compared to WoW. WoW adopted talent trees, last time I checked EQ didn't have those. WoW is the only MMO I have ever played to get the druid class right (for me this is HUGE as I played that class for over 5 years without getting bored). There are so many things which WoW did bettter than MMOs before it that it will take me ages to list them. Also WoW had tons of content at launch.

All WOW clones are so lackluster compared to WoW that it isn't funny. The major things which WoW clones are copying from WoW are its talent system and questing system. Those things were NOT in EQ. Even EQ itself started adopting a lot of WoW's philosophies because they saw that WoW was vastly more popular than EQ. Most gamers have never heard of EQ but everyone knows about WoW and with good reason.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Looks like they are using the DAOC model for PVP
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't think wow borrowed that much from EQ apart from "raiders first"
    It borrowed its UI from ac
    It borrowed its accessibility from coh
    It borrowed its instancing from ao
    It borrowed its pvp from quake
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Of course not. Why would I want a reskinned version of a bad game?

Its very clear that the developers want to make this game a big virtual world game with no instances, but the publishers are forcing WoW features down their throats. 

You cannot good public dungeons AND instancing AND phasing in the same game.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Hahaha, you're joking right? The lead WoW devs were hardcore EQ raiders. 90% of the game is just EQ but dumbed down to an unspeakably easy antisocial level.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Hahaha, you're joking right? The lead WoW devs were hardcore EQ raiders. 90% of the game is just EQ but dumbed down to an unspeakably easy antisocial level.

Yes that is the impression I got as well. EQ but dumbed down and made incredibly easy to level your character. However in this dumbing down they made it quite different to play than EQ, along with the fact that they more or less introduced quest hub based leveling. Dont think any MMO before that, had quest hubs.

Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by korent1991

Also, what exactly is a wow clone?!

Obviously there is no definition of it, but most people that use this phrase agree that it is:  mmorpg that is almost purely combat oriented and which include very fast levelling and offer matchmaking instance-based gameplay as it's main dish.

Not really. It's games that copy their UI, class system, quest system, leveling system, item system, raid system, from WoW, then bolt on a gimmick or two to make it "unique".

For example: See, LotRO, SWOTR, WAR's PvE, AoC's PvE, Rift, and virtually every AAA MMO of the last 8 years.

Originally posted by Yamota

Yes that is the impression I got as well. EQ but dumbed down and made incredibly easy to level your character. However in this dumbing down they made it quite different to play than EQ, along with the fact that they more or less introduced quest hub based leveling. Dont think any MMO before that, had quest hubs.

City of Heroes did. WoW was never really the first to do anything. In 8 years they've never invented a single unique gameplay mechanic.

But yes, while all the mechanics play the same as EQ, the entire philosophy behind the game is different. Where EQ was about a social virtual world, that was harsh and encouraged you to band together, WoW was about an instanced game you played mostly solo and are never in any danger of being confused or losing.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by korent1991

Also, what exactly is a wow clone?!

Obviously there is no definition of it, but most people that use this phrase agree that it is:  mmorpg that is almost purely combat oriented and which include very fast levelling and offer matchmaking instance-based gameplay as it's main dish.

Not really. It's games that copy their UI, class system, quest system, leveling system, item system, raid system, from WoW, then bolt on a gimmick or two to make it "unique".

For example: See, LotRO, SWOTR, WAR's PvE, AoC's PvE, Rift, and virtually every AAA MMO of the last 8 years.

sorry but. aoc was nothing like wow

Originally posted by Yamota

City of Heroes did. WoW was never really the first to do anything. In 8 years they've never invented a single unique gameplay mechanic.

But yes, while all the mechanics play the same as EQ, the entire philosophy behind the game is different. Where EQ was about a social virtual world, that was harsh and encouraged you to band together, WoW was about an instanced game you played mostly solo and are never in any danger of being confused or losing.

Their dungeon finder is quite unique I would say. Phasing is unique. Pet battles, last time I checked no other MMO had that.

Also leveling through questing was pretty much WoW's idea. But judging from you post that it's a "dumbed down version of EQ and super antisocial" I am guessing you never played WoW or you played it for 5 minutes at some point.

WoW was actually fun when it came out unlike all those other MMOs like EQ. 

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Bethesda is an absolutely amazing developer who I have nothing but respect and admiration for.  Their games are in a league of their own and have truly set the bar for Action RPGs.

I have always found myself enjoying their products and I'm a pretty picky gamer at this point, having a tendency to easily point out a game's faults and shortcomings.  With Bethesda's games, I sit back and truly enjoy myself - never questioning the mechanics (because they work, make sense, and are solid), never wishing for more polish, and never feeling like they took shortcuts when releasing the game.

I will definitely be purchasing TESO even if people claim its a WoW clone.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Yeah I'm wore out on themeparks.

ES without the sandbox is like pizza without bread or cheese - dumb and you end up with a mess.

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    it's already a clone of GW2. going to be awesome when certain people can no longer run from it.