Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: The End is Near

Comments

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819
    They sure know how to make something utterly unoriginal and overdone look insanely epic. I hope this remake/relaunch thing works out for them. Heh - but if it fails, they can always enter the movie industry instead :)

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by biggarfoot
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    What's up with double posting this? There is already a 5 page conversation going on with links to video. As for the vid. It's a good vid, but the character models are horrible. Not the best game trailer I have seen. 

I don't really consider it a game trailer, but a cgi to show the end of an era as is titled, the character models are horrible in what way? show me what you consider better character models.  Compared to some games out there, they are pretty decent.

Yeah, just a troll, their character models are better than most games.  Still I have no interest in playing this game.

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Holy shit! That was beyond awesome.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    ending made me tear up :[ poor old guy

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Dragon causing mayhem and destruction to the world... i have never seen that before. very original.

a sacastic post stating the obvious... I have never seen that before.

People getting upset at the obvious sarcasm..i have never seen that before.

A sarcastic post about another sarcastic post... I have never seen that before.

You are completely ruining it now. Thanks for sucking all the fun out of it.

the guy who loves to have the 'last word'.

Im a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude.

Originally posted by drivendawn
    Dragon causing mayhem and destruction to the world... i have never seen that before. very original.

a sacastic post stating the obvious... I have never seen that before.

People getting upset at the obvious sarcasm..i have never seen that before.

A sarcastic post about another sarcastic post... I have never seen that before.

You are completely ruining it now. Thanks for sucking all the fun out of it.

the guy who loves to have the 'last word'.

LOL,yeah getting a little silly.

I agree. it started out silly with whites first post.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

incredible cinematics.

....and unlike Blizz this game is just as pretty when you play it. 

however, i can relate more to a straight up dark Orcs/goblins fantasy setting more than an glitzy "anime" style setting with cute bunny people holding huge weappons....i guess i just the culture.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Old news travels fast.  If this site wants to be on top of their game at least get the information before everyone has seen it, plenty of topics covering this since yesterday.

This is why I stopped tracking the News & Features RSS :- I can get my gaming news way faster from Recent posts or elsewhere. 

I don't know what's up with that.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    Props to Square for taking it the complete revamp route.
    Something EA/Bioware should have done with SWTOR.
    May pickup the revamp both to hopefully enjoy it and also to support the idea that redoing entirely is better than sticking to a terrible shell of a game like other companies do.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Silly post ?you mean my opinion that dragons bringing destruction is un original and convenient? i am sorry for giving my opinion and upsetting you. You are surely sold out on CGI and buying the game on basis of that. Didn't mean to rain on your prade. 

• ChaosLord83ChaosLord83 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by iamjason1989

In b4 DEATHWING CLONEZ ELDER DRAGON CLONEEE

assuming that dragon is Bahamut, deathwing and the elder dragons would be his clone

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    What's up with double posting this? There is already a 5 page conversation going on with links to video. As for the vid. It's a good vid, but the character models are horrible. Not the best game trailer I have seen. 

I don't really consider it a game trailer, but a cgi to show the end of an era as is titled, the character models are horrible in what way? show me what you consider better character models.  Compared to some games out there, they are pretty decent.

Yeah, just a troll, their character models are better than most games.  Still I have no interest in playing this game.

Not a troll just an opinion, it was a decent vid like I stated. As for ones I like better ?

Here is a list of just 3 in a long list. 

DCUO opening cinematic

Hellgate London (one of the many)

SWTOR.

I would post links but am posting from my iPad and kinda busy.

A yes. The character models to me are blahh

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

however, i can relate more to a straight up dark Orcs/goblins fantasy setting more than an glitzy "anime" style setting with cute bunny people holding huge weappons....i guess i just the culture.

Ditto. I tried FFXIV early on and I didn't care for it much at all. The environments looked good, but that was about it for me. It felt very unimmersive to me, but I just can't get into the bunny/cat people and bubblegum anime elements in it.

Silly post ?you mean my opinion that dragons bringing destruction is un original and convenient? i am sorry for giving my opinion and upsetting you. You are surely sold out on CGI and buying the game on basis of that. Didn't mean to rain on your prade. 

yes.

And i think a opinion and a sarcastic remark are 2 different things.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    So many grouchy people =( 
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    It is Bahamut, and he has been in FF lore for many years. Its not like they created some random dragon to throw in at the end. The build up for this epic climax was intense. As a player of FFXIV, it brought on many emotions. Sadness probably the first, but also excitement for what the future holds in A Realm Reborn.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

The only thing that would ruffle my feathers is that you're taking the cinematic out of context.  There was about 50 hours (lots of awesome fight scenes as well!) of in game cutscenes telling a story for the last year that led up to this moment.  The fact that this spell, which was constantly referred to as "Meteor", was in fact a prison for Bahamut was a total surprise to those who played the game.

Now, if you say the spell "Meteor" being cast by a bad guy in a Final Fantasy game is "been there, done that", then I agree with you.  Though the people I know expected the meteor to hit the world at midnight, and instead this is what we got.  Heck, there was even a 24 like countdown on the loging screen until the Meteor hit the world for the last 350 hours or so.  In addition every month the meteor (which was a lesser moon that was cast a spell on by an Imperial Legatas -- which I oft refer to as Judges as that's what they look like and essentially are to the Garlean Magitech Empire) was getting closer and closer to the world up in the sky and new storyline was released to combat the different legions of the Imperials, oft competing with each other for recognition by His Radiance.  Most all NPCs also spoke of new things with each month as their worries went from denial to absolute terror as the three nations formed an alliance to fight the Imperial War Machine that was poised against them as they also striked against the Primals and the beastmen.

Then when you were called to the front to fight the Imperials, and midnight hit, you look onto this cutscene (though the in game event itself was horrible, as everyone tried to log in to the same zone and constant crashes, and only a few enemies to fight).

Then BOOM!  Everyone you've know for the past couple years died in an instant, the leaders of the alliance you helped, the leaders of the nations, the people you protected in those states, your allies and the old man that sacrificed himself to send your characters (and the main ones as seen in the game) into the future.

In game there was a poetic prophecy that depicted how everything went down, but it only now make sense after we saw the cutscene.  Hoping that most of the students of the old man also survived, would like to see them in the future (either sent there or lived through it, not sure how far into the future it goes).

While they may have had an advantage in closing a version of the game down completely, I've never before seen such powerful storytelling in a MMO that spanned a year (especially with hours and hours of 3dmax-like fight scenes and not just staring at a character's face like in other games), only to have this awesome and emotional ending (also since they knew they would close the game down and not reuse these assets and cutscenes).

Just like that, you see the second main bad guy flying in the air, your leaders on the side, Cid looking unto the meteor and narrowing his eyes like he knew all along (which he did mention prior that His Radiance would regret calling meteor down just to erradicate the primals and those who oppose him).  Then Bahamut -- a staple of the franchise for more than 20 years -- appears out of no where after you had beaten Ifrit and Garuda and lays waste to everything you fought for in the game.

The power of the world's 12 gods didn't seem to be enough to hold them, as the seal was broken through (you could see their symbols rising up just before being dispersed by flame), and you remember words said prior that the Twelveswood (an area of sentient forest) was terrified of the red moon as it was banished to the skies forever and would not speak of it from fear).  Then you wonder why it was banished, which was promised to be told in 2.0 in it's many storyline archs.

With the context, it was perhaps the most powerful moment I've ever experienced in a game, be it single player or MMO starting from Ultima Online onward.  :3

Edit:

It was also a bit poetic as the song that was playing at the end, so well matched with the scenes, was the song that played when you first made a character in the game's opening intro when you chose your state (albeit they played the full version here and part of it at the beginning when you journey was just starting).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

The only thing that would ruffle my feathers is that you're taking the cinematic out of context.  There was about 50 hours (lots of awesome fight scenes as well!) of in game cutscenes telling a story for the last year that led up to this moment.  The fact that this spell, which was constantly referred to as "Meteor", was in fact a prison for Bahamut was a total surprise to those who played the game.

Now, if you say the spell "Meteor" being cast by a bad guy in a Final Fantasy game is "been there, done that", then I agree with you.  Though the people I know expected the meteor to hit the world at midnight, and instead this is what we got.  Heck, there was even a 24 like countdown on the loging screen until the Meteor hit the world for the last 350 hours or so.  In addition every month the meteor (which was a lesser moon that was cast a spell on by an Imperial Legatas -- which I oft refer to as Judges as that's what they look like and essentially are to the Garlean Magitech Empire) was getting closer and closer to the world up in the sky and new storyline was released to combat the different legions of the Imperials, oft competing with each other for recognition by His Radiance.  Most all NPCs also spoke of new things with each month as their worries went from denial to absolute terror as the three nations formed an alliance to fight the Imperial War Machine that was poised against them as they also striked against the Primals and the beastmen.

Then when you were called to the front to fight the Imperials, and midnight hit, you look onto this cutscene (though the in game event itself was horrible, as everyone tried to log in to the same zone and constant crashes, and only a few enemies to fight).

Then BOOM!  Everyone you've know for the past couple years died in an instant, the leaders of the alliance you helped, the leaders of the nations, the people you protected in those states, your allies and the old man that sacrificed himself to send your characters (and the main ones as seen in the game) into the future.

In game there was a poetic prophecy that depicted how everything went down, but it only now make sense after we saw the cutscene.  Hoping that most of the students of the old man also survived, would like to see them in the future (either sent there or lived through it, not sure how far into the future it goes).

While they may have had an advantage in closing a version of the game down completely, I've never before seen such powerful storytelling in a MMO that spanned a year (especially with hours and hours of 3dmax-like fight scenes and not just staring at a character's face like in other games), only to have this awesome and emotional ending (also since they knew they would close the game down and not reuse these assets and cutscenes).

Just like that, you see the second main bad guy flying in the air, your leaders on the side, Cid looking unto the meteor and narrowing his eyes like he knew all along (which he did mention prior that His Radiance would regret calling meteor down just to erradicate the primals and those who oppose him).  Then Bahamut -- a staple of the franchise for more than 20 years -- appears out of no where after you had beaten Ifrit and Garuda and lays waste to everything you fought for in the game.

The power of the world's 12 gods didn't seem to be enough to hold them, as the seal was broken through (you could see their symbols rising up just before being dispersed by flame), and you remember words said prior that the Twelveswood (an area of sentient forest) was terrified of the red moon as it was banished to the skies forever and would not speak of it from fear).  Then you wonder why it was banished, which was promised to be told in 2.0 in it's many storyline archs.

With the context, it was perhaps the most powerful moment I've ever experienced in a game, be it single player or MMO starting from Ultima Online onward.  :3

Edit:

It was also a bit poetic as the song that was playing at the end, so well matched with the scenes, was the song that played when you first made a character in the game's opening intro when you chose your state (albeit they played the full version here and part of it at the beginning when you journey was just starting).

Im ashamed i missed it. wanted to jump on the 1.0 when it first came out then you hear horror stories of how the game plays and you wright it off.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Im ashamed i missed it. wanted to jump on the 1.0 when it first came out then you hear horror stories of how the game plays and you wright it off.

The game was total garbage at launch, and improved enough just to be crap by the end.  Though it has a tremendous amount of depth and it required team work and a massive amount of partying with other players if you wanted to see the good stuff and the depth of the game.

To put things in perspective, if Tera (not hating on it at all!) is all about combat and game play and little about depth and story... Then FFXIV is the opposite; it's all about depth and story and has horrid gameplay.  It's why they completely remade the game as a whole, so that that gameplay will be there to match with the story.

If you're interested in some Grand Company Storylines (some of the stuff added in the last few months of the game's life), then here you go.

2:30 minutes

50 minutes

50 minutes

You'll see a lot of the cutscenes are skipped, but that's to reduce the time as it focuses on the main points.  These are just some of the stuff added to the game lately and they didn't ship with it (save for the first one).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    Cinematics mean nothing for a MMO, WoW has beautiful cinematics, but the game stinks.
  • JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    I really want to try this game out, so I signed up for when I do buy it later... the amount of signing up that was required to play this game was disgusting. So it kinda put me off the game.
    Originally posted by Prenho
    Cinematics mean nothing for a MMO, WoW has beautiful cinematics, but the game stinks.

thats not true. vanilla wow was a great mmo. after that it went down hill.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

yes.

And i think a opinion and a sarcastic remark are 2 different things.

Opinions can be sarcastic too. Don't like it? tough luck. Deal with it.

I disagree with your assesment too but i am not calling you silly for creaming up after watching the cinematic now am i?

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220
    I havent played 1.0 and this video made me feel for the people in the vid. was excited, was mad, was sad. It made me want to look up the lore of this game. This very short vid raised my interest in this game alot. and if it gets me to buy this game then they did there jobs right. congrats to them for putting out a very compelling video.

I was there, I fought in that battle where the Grand Companies are clashing with the Garlean Empire. I was there when the server wide announcements that used to call out the next area being invaded by the Empire simply said "Counfound it! We have lost contact with the main host!" and then the server shutdown at midnight on the dot. Then they released this video.

Pretty much every character with facetime in the video is a character you interact with during the game. Every quest in the game from the moment you make a character has lead to that single moment. Even a version of that same song plays while watcing a vision of fire raining from the sky in the first 10 minutes of playing the game. 

Poor Louisoix!

I am so glad others can share in the feelings watching this video brought to me, even if just a fraction. I have faith that A Realm Reborn will be utterly amazing, the dev team has proven to me what a fantastic job they can do already.

Here is to the end of the world, and to A Realm Reborn. 

PS. Bahamut > Deathwing. Deathwing broke a few zones, flooded some others, flew around lighting thigns on fire and ended up getting torn apart and tossed into the ocean by 25 random nobodies. Bahamut showed up and simply ended the world, despite THE GODS trying to re-imprison him because he was too powerful to be slain. Like, he literally broke the game he was in. They had to rebuild it from the ground up! ;) Just sayin'

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Anybody looking for a real mmo needs to support this game.