Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going for broke.

crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Hello,

I've been following DF:UW for a few years now, and I've been quite excited.  I played Darkfall at release for around 6 or 7 months before quiting.  I've come back on and off throughout the last few years but could never last long.

Having read some of the negative post on this board abou the pending release and new structure of the game I though tI would post a few of my thoughts.

* The release must aboslutly be smooth.  This is very important in my opinion.  At this juncture their is no excuse for a release even remotely similar to what the original DF went through.  

* 'professions' a must - This is one of the features I am most excited about.  Without a skill cap the previous darkfall was ridiculous.  When everyone is special, no one is.  I look forward to not seeing archer/mage/warriors running around dominating everything in sight.

*Safe Zones- Awesome.  There is no reason people who have spent most of their lives grinding their characters and equipment need to be prowling around starter areas griefing new players.  All this does is push people away from the game.  I'm a huge fan of safe zones.  there is nothing 'hardcore' about griefing noobs.

*PvE - I hope to god they fundamentaly improve the fun of PvE - nuff said there.

*exploits - this to me was the biggest downfall of the original Darkfall.  The amount of exploiting by the Darkfall community was unreal.  I hope AV cracks down on this instantly in the new DF.  Exploiting even obvious aspects of the game in Darkfall was very detrimental.

*Time:  Another aspect I'm excited about - the amount of time required to be dedicated and competitve to a VIDEO GAME in the original Darkfall was ridiculous.  The only people I knew who were good PvPer's had spent unbeliable amounts of time farming/grinding/exploiting - these people were either unemployed, or had absolutly no personal life at all.  I hope the new Darkfall is much more casual friendly. I know the 'hardcore' crowd decries this, but I think it's a good thing.  Most of us have personal lives and can't spend 10 hours on a Saturday preparing for a siege, or 6 hours a day 5 days a week farming materials.

All in all I've really enjoyed what I've read about DF:UW.  I'm a little concerned by lack of footage and real solid information surronding all the professions (why is it taking them so long to release all of them?) but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and plan to reactive my old sub as soon as this game releases.  This is a one-shot deal for AV and I really, really hope they can deliver.

Comments

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by crysent

Hello,

I've been following DF:UW for a few years now, and I've been quite excited.  I played Darkfall at release for around 6 or 7 months before quiting.  I've come back on and off throughout the last few years but could never last long.

Having read some of the negative post on this board abou the pending release and new structure of the game I though tI would post a few of my thoughts.

* The release must aboslutly be smooth.  This is very important in my opinion.  At this juncture their is no excuse for a release even remotely similar to what the original DF went through.  

* 'professions' a must - This is one of the features I am most excited about.  Without a skill cap the previous darkfall was ridiculous.  When everyone is special, no one is.  I look forward to not seeing archer/mage/warriors running around dominating everything in sight.

*Safe Zones- Awesome.  There is no reason people who have spent most of their lives grinding their characters and equipment need to be prowling around starter areas griefing new players.  All this does is push people away from the game.  I'm a huge fan of safe zones.  there is nothing 'hardcore' about griefing noobs.

*PvE - I hope to god they fundamentaly improve the fun of PvE - nuff said there.

*exploits - this to me was the biggest downfall of the original Darkfall.  The amount of exploiting by the Darkfall community was unreal.  I hope AV cracks down on this instantly in the new DF.  Exploiting even obvious aspects of the game in Darkfall was very detrimental.

*Time:  Another aspect I'm excited about - the amount of time required to be dedicated and competitve to a VIDEO GAME in the original Darkfall was ridiculous.  The only people I knew who were good PvPer's had spent unbeliable amounts of time farming/grinding/exploiting - these people were either unemployed, or had absolutly no personal life at all.  I hope the new Darkfall is much more casual friendly. I know the 'hardcore' crowd decries this, but I think it's a good thing.  Most of us have personal lives and can't spend 10 hours on a Saturday preparing for a siege, or 6 hours a day 5 days a week farming materials.

All in all I've really enjoyed what I've read about DF:UW.  I'm a little concerned by lack of footage and real solid information surronding all the professions (why is it taking them so long to release all of them?) but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and plan to reactive my old sub as soon as this game releases.  This is a one-shot deal for AV and I really, really hope they can deliver.

Then simply don't take on mmos and stick to single/coop games.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Zadawn

Hello,

What a stupid coment, That would rule out everyone with a job. If everyone took your amazing advice you wouldn't have an mmo to play.

Op, I Agree with pretty much everything you said and im looking forward to trying DF:UW.

Originally posted by Kanester

Hello,

What a stupid coment, That would rule out everyone with a job. If everyone took your amazing advice you wouldn't have an mmo to play.

Op, I Agree with pretty much everything you said and im looking forward to trying DF:UW.

So expect to be on the same level with someone that spends 10 hours a day on an mmo while you only put 2 into it?No dude,its a choice,you choose to spend those ten horus at work and so be it,you get PAID for your time,i on the other  hand become better at the game.

Hello,

So expect to be on the same level with someone that spends 10 hours a day on an mmo while you only put 2 into it?No dude,its a choice,you choose to spend those ten horus at work and so be it,you get PAID for your time,i on the other  hand become better at the game.

He didn't say he expects to be as good/high lvl as someone who puts more hrs in did he?

He just said most people haven't got 10hrs on a saturday free, Most peeople haven't. You have just jumped the gun.

Hello,

He didn't say he expects to be as good/high lvl as someone who puts more hrs in did he?

He just said most people haven't got 10hrs on a saturday free, Most peeople haven't. You have just jumped the gun.

Read the original post,it is the one the guy is supporting so much.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Sorry for slow response, I'm actually at work now, lol.

Firstly: No thank you, I think I will stick to MMOs as most seem to cater more to casual players these days while keeping plenty for the more 'hardcore' player.

I'm not sure I fully understand the rest of your post and how it relates to mine.  Essentially I support a more casual friendly Darkfall, it seems that is the direction AV has decided to take  it.  I guess then I would reflect your own advice back to you, if you don't like the new DF then go play something else, maybe Aion or Everquest 1 as both of those seem to have substantial grinds in which you can spend your whole saturday..

Since the new Darkfall seems to be making a more casual game, why woulden't I play?  Granted the game isn't full of bugs/exploits the new more casual friendly darkfall sounds pretty inviting to me.

I also tend to think if you are spending 10 hours or more playing an mmo on a regular basis on a Saturday then perhaps you may have a problem that goes beyond the game?  I don't think games should cater to this unhealthy type of playing, but, that's just my opinion.  

Hello,

No you read the post again, He just says it was only for Unemployed players (Like yourself or people with no life) he doesn't ask for everything on a plate easy mode does he? No.

So for you to just Blurt out "Go play another game them" is just a stupid coment to make. People can play Mmo's with a job you know.

Originally posted by Entioch

Hello,

[mod edit]

This is not about me or you,it was an example.

Hello,

No you read the post again, He just says it was only for Unemployed players (Like yourself or people with no life) he doesn't ask for everything on a plate easy mode does he? No.

So for you to just Blurt out "Go play another game them" is just a stupid coment to make. People can play Mmo's with a job you know.

Now you imply that im unemployed,no dude,i'm a swimming teacher.

I seriously can't imagine anyone with a personal life that requires personal attention would suppor t the old Darkfall model, I remember being told it would require roughly 5-10 hours of a players time to siege something.  It's hard for me to buy you have any semblence of a personal life, but, can give that sort of time requirement to a video game.  My wife would kill me if I tried to sell that to her.

IF you don't believe me then just look at the population base of Darkfall over the last year...

Even the fact that to be compettive I would have needed to leave my character AFK swimming for hours and hours and hours and weeks and weeks and weeks to get my stats up is absurd.

Also, while it's none of my business really, but since you posted it - if you are putting 10 hours a day into Darkfall on a regular basis you may have a problem...that can't be healthy..

"its a choice,you choose to spend those ten horus at work and so be it,you get PAID for your time,i on the other  hand become better at the game."

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

OP you summed up my hopes for DFUW pretty much to a T.

to those who for some absurd reason are trying to make a point that playing a game 10 hours a day is something healthy to be encouraged, you're either a troll fooling us all (in which case great job man!) or else you need some serious therapy.

the only folks who should be spending that kind of time on a game are people who are injured or have a disability and literally need something to fill the time during the day.  (i was disabled for 3 months last year and i spent a lot of that time divided between EQ2 and Eve, and i thank the 2 games because they kept me sane til I healed).

i dont mean everyone should be handed a top character on a silver platter.  not even close!  but, to use the example another used, there is no sane  reason to swim against a wall for 18 hours just to be able to be competitive.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

"while you work and make a living.. I'll be killing digital monsters and eating cheetos".

2-4 hrs a day should be average play time for someone with any sort of personal or business life. that's about the time it takes to watch a movie, or read a book etc. if you playing for 6+ hrs EVERY DAY.. then you should probably take a step back and look at what all your missing by spending all of your time in a game.

Going to be pretty impressive when your major accomplishment in life is getting an epic piece of gear in some game that won't exist 20 years from now.

That's the single most ignorant comment I've seen on these forums in a while.  I can understand the occassional "Oh! I have the day off.. so I'll lounge around all day and play an MMO" or "release day marathons", but consistently playing ANY game for those amounts of time is just bad for you.

I have a friend at work, who does NOTHING but play wow.. He does work, but the minute he gets home, he logs in and doesn't log out til time for bed.. every single day. He's married too. He's the most pitiful person I've ever met, because like you can't even talk to him about anything else, as he has nothing else ot ever talk about. He's just like the OP suggests.. complains when he runs out of content etc. He's the exception, not the norm.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Hello,

Now you imply that im unemployed,no dude,i'm a swimming teacher.

No you imply that mate. -->"No dude,its a choice,you choose to spend those ten horus at work and so be it,you get PAID for your time,i on the other hand become better at the game."

You are implying that I work and you don't, hence why you get better at games. Your not very good at this are you?

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Entioch

Hello,

[mod edit]

This is not about me or you,it was an example.

Except for the part bolded above. . where it was about you and him?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• sakkdaddysakkdaddy Member UncommonPosts: 45

People who want "hardcore" MMO's, and choose to define "hardcore" as "grindy as fuck, requiring no job and imbalanced rewards for grinding" just need to focus on Asian MMO's.  Most normal people don't want overpowered, imbalanced rewards for mindless grinding like DF1 gave.  It was really ridiculous.

The new approach is much better, where you can still progress your character horizontally if you choose to play that much, but also allows people with less time to be just as competitive in specific roles that they choose.  Horizontal progression is the best decision that was made for DF2.0.  So the guy who plays 2 hours a day can be just as good at a particular role as someone who plays 12 hours a day, but the guy who plays more will have more roles to choose from.  Everyone wins, except for those who want to become overpowered gods in exchange for their real lives (like in DF1).

We will just have to see if they have learned from their past mistakes and handle the bugs and exploits that arise in a professional way.

I have to say though that I'm not a fan of safe zones.  I like "safer" zones, but not immunity stuff as they described.  It won't be a game killer for me though.  I just prefer the approach of EVE's security levels over pure safe zones.

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131

Hello,

This however is an interesting point.Casual friendly MMO's, steep learning curve, new player experience, players not able to be competitive unless you are in from Day #1.

Seems like Marketing is driving some MMO developers to make sure they are "casual friendly" because it's a big slice of the market.

So can "Casual Friendly" and "Hardcore" players exist in the same game?

What exactly is "casual" and what is "hardcore" these days....?

At a guess... casual is a couple of hours a day, 3 or 4 times a week...

hardcore is minimum 2-3 hours a day, sometimes more, 5 - 7 days a week???

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Hello,

I'd have to agree with the person you said made a stupid comment. Sieges should take planning. If you want siege warfare without risk v reward or time commitment then play PS2. AV already made it take less time, sieges only start and last about 3hrs, its the players that made it take longer. Nothing AV can do, outside of making sieges instanced, that could change it.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

You all try to sound educated but you don't know a simple thing like example from a first person perspective.

You all try to sound educated but you don't know a simple thing like example from a first person perspective.

I have no idea what you are saying here...??  Ohhhhh, I see - You are the guy that said unless you quit your job and dedicate 10 hours a day to online video games, like you claim to do, then the rest of us should go play FPS games...Because MMO's like Darkfall should only cater to people with absolutly no personal life, or responsbilities outside of their guild sieges...

I believe what you are getting confused for 'sounding educated' is actually those of us with responsibility trying to explain that we have lives outside of video games...

What world do you live on?  Again, I will reitereate and am not trying to 'sound educated' that if you live the life you claim to be living, and you truly believe the crap you are trying to defend, then you may need some serious help..

lol...

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Hello,  I've been following DF:UW for a few years now, and I've been quite excited.

I don't see any reason to be overly excited.  It is largely the same game with some " hopefully " good tweaks.   We all know from the first release that all of their " features " are usually half-assed so it is going to be better to wait out the first month.

If the grind is really gone, then there is no reason to purchase this game until others start posting videos.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I am looking forward to the game but not the community if this is the sort of thing one can expect lol.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Hello,

Im with you guys, looking forward to giving this company another shot.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"