Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragons are overdone. What unique creatures would you use as the "main villain"?

Comments

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

1th quest upon entering the game, collect ten dragon hatchling tails.

last quest in the game, Kill the Ratqueen of sniberly bites

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by PyrateLV
    ManBearPig

ok, we have a winner.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/7426/gkbpaf2.png

Would you believe that this thing that I am fighting against in Baten Kaitos is called the "Sabre Dragon"? Does that even LOOK like a dragon?

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Car tires.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    The IRS.

Smile

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    OGLIZ The Mighty Ogre Lizard beast! He's just outside of Jack's Farmstead, cackling maniacally! I assume he's the cause of the recent mystery monsters and death fog!
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    The IRS.

I believe something similar to this, lawyers, etc., was already done in ToonTown Online. ;)

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

TERA has some a amazing boss mobs that are not dragons..EQ also has a lot of variety.

however I think dragons are a staple of fantasy, and as such I love them.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Spongebob

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    God, but it turns out he is really Satan and we are all in hell.
  • david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

It's over done because dragons are badass. Now you can change up the dragons some or make it a demon of some kind, that's one of the few things i can say would match up against a dragon being the big bad guys.

Peace,

Lascer

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Dragons, demons, dinosaurs, huge <insert species>, are all popular in MMO's for a reason:  20 to 40 people can all fit around them to fight and still see what's going on.  Even when you do get humanoid end-game villians, they tend to be scaled up quite a bit (think Arthas from WotLK).

Anyway, I don't personally think dragons specifically are overdone.  For all of its shortfalls, GW2 really opened up the imagination to how a dragon fight could be.  I've seen several, and they're all designed really well.

Anyway, there are only so many types of creatures that could "realistically" hold their own against a raid of heros, without breaking immersion.

As for your question, I'd like to see a boss design that revolves around a "regular" mortal, like a Necromancer or something, where he keeps raising dead or calling a ton of demons or something, so that the raid has to fight through the waves while risk getting overrun themselves, just to get the few hits needed on the guy to kill him.

You make me like charity

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Would love to see a boss that you had to beat using intellect including/rather than brawn. The Kael'thas fight in WoW was tactically one of the best in recent memory but even that was ultimately a brawn fight.

Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD

A Rabbit

It wasn't the main villain, but Asheron's Call had a stupid powerful rabbit people could fight at one time. Was funny.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD

A Rabbit

It wasn't the main villain, but Asheron's Call had a stupid powerful rabbit people could fight at one time. Was funny.

...and there was town where you could "drag him" if you did it right. That was even funnier :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Pak Protectors (Known Space). 

The Formic (aka Buggers, Ender's Game)--better development than the Starship Troopers baddies. 

Chingers (Bill, the Galactic Hero)  You gotta respect 6 inch tall lizards that battle those stupid humans to a standstill.

SF only has a billion or so variants on alien racial nemeses.  Almost none of them can be set as a game's major villains without a bit of backstory plot development.  (Aliens? Predators? About the only ones instantly familiar to all Americans, I suppose--but not sure you want a Hollywood villain, as they tend to run shallow).

Fantasy--yes, mined out.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Dragons are villains?
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Dragons are villains?

Not to McCaffrey worshippers, certainly ;P

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    ex-wifes
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Dragons are villains?

Misunderstood? image

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Dragons are villains?

Not to McCaffrey worshippers, certainly ;P

/me Shudders

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    A borg

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by emperorwings
    A borg

They killed the Borg off.

Could do Sandkings though, another one of those social-intelligence mass scarything races that will surely kill us all if it gets loose.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Cthuhlu.