Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Idea for ESO, A Test Server...

I'd love to see some sort of "Test" server in the game aside from the mega-server... With this test server, it wouldn't just be for the devs to log in and test things, but for the players to, allow me to explain...

Each player would be able to /level 50. A /level 50 command in the command console, would automatically bump the player up to level 50, giving them all the points they need to invest in health, stamina, magicka, as well as in their abilities, and the way they want to "branch off"each ability, etc, as well as get plenty of gold, and merchants who sell all the standard lvl 50 armor and weapon types at 1 copper apiece, or something like that... Wha would this do? 

Well, Matt said, there's nothing worse than logging into a game, and rolling on a server that one of your friends isn't on, and then finding out later that you had wasted all your time there, making a character that you're gunna reroll, and I have to disagree. There's nothing worse than spending hours and hours on a character, getting him to max level, only to find out that that character wasn't all you thought he would be, and then realizing that you wasted 100's of hours on a character your not even gunna use. 

Another problem? Altaholics. When there's a new game with a whole bunch of classes available and TONS of customization within each class, like in ESO, there are people (like me), who want to try sooo many different classes and combinations, as far as weapon, armor, etc, to see what works, and to see what's best for them...

That being the case, I can't tell you how many 100's of hours I've spent making various different alts, and leveling to level 20 or so, only to find out that I didn't even like them, SUCH a pain in the ass.... A Test server would solve this problem, because in a few days, I could test out several different characters I like at level 50, and see which one is the most "me"...

Yet another benefit to a test server? Exploration...

A lot of ES'ers are complaining that they won't be able to explore the opposing territories, but a test server would rectify this instantly... Players could just log on to the test server, roll any toon they want, make them stealthy for example, and explore any area they wanted without a hassle... This would allow players to be able to search and explore through different territories, WITHOUT having to actually make a character in that faction, and level it up tremendously, investing tons of time in it, just to explore a different area... They could stick with one faction, and invest all their time in that one faction, without having to worry about not being able to see the other factions territories.

What do you guys think? Are you all for a test server like I am? I think it would be HUGE...

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Qallidexz
    I'd love to see some sort of "Test" server in the game aside from the mega-server... With this test server, it wouldn't just be for the devs to log in and test things, but for the players to, allow me to explain... Each player would be able to /level 50. A /level 50 command in the command console, would automatically bump the player up to level 50, giving them all the points they need to invest in health, stamina, magicka, as well as in their abilities, and the way they want to "branch off"each ability, etc, as well as get plenty of gold, and merchants who sell all the standard lvl 50 armor and weapon types at 1 copper apiece, or something like that... Wha would this do?  Well, Matt said, there's nothing worse than logging into a game, and rolling on a server that one of your friends isn't on, and then finding out later that you had wasted all your time there, making a character that you're gunna reroll, and I have to disagree. There's nothing worse than spending hours and hours on a character, getting him to max level, only to find out that that character wasn't all you thought he would be, and then realizing that you wasted 100's of hours on a character your not even gunna use.  Another problem? Altaholics. When there's a new game with a whole bunch of classes available and TONS of customization within each class, like in ESO, there are people (like me), who want to try sooo many different classes and combinations, as far as weapon, armor, etc, to see what works, and to see what's best for them... That being the case, I can't tell you how many 100's of hours I've spent making various different alts, and leveling to level 20 or so, only to find out that I didn't even like them, SUCH a pain in the ass.... A Test server would solve this problem, because in a few days, I could test out several different characters I like at level 50, and see which one is the most "me"... Yet another benefit to a test server? Exploration...A lot of ES'ers are complaining that they won't be able to explore the opposing territories, but a test server would rectify this instantly... Players could just log on to the test server, roll any toon they want, make them stealthy for example, and explore any area they wanted without a hassle... This would allow players to be able to search and explore through different territories, WITHOUT having to actually make a character in that faction, and level it up tremendously, investing tons of time in it, just to explore a different area... They could stick with one faction, and invest all their time in that one faction, without having to worry about not being able to see the other factions territories. What do you guys think? Are you all for a test server like I am? I think it would be HUGE...

No. I think there has to be a line drawn between players experimenting and Actually testing systems for development. Otherwise you get situations like you had with aion, where people just lived on the test server never returning to live.

Having said that, To my knowledge the "megasevers" are just based on virtual server technologies so it would be possible to set up a test shard instance.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Test server is a must for any mmo imho

Not sure weather they will allow you to roll a 50 of any faction tho, as they want you to keep playing and forcing you to level 2 alts in order to see all content gives players something to keep playing for.

They do need to allow for copying your 50's to the pts tho, anyone who has played swtor will tell how not having this function is big a mistake

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Qallidexz
    I'd love to see some sort of "Test" server in the game aside from the mega-server... With this test server, it wouldn't just be for the devs to log in and test things, but for the players to, allow me to explain...

Each player would be able to /level 50. A /level 50 command in the command console, would automatically bump the player up to level 50, giving them all the points they need to invest in health, stamina, magicka, as well as in their abilities, and the way they want to "branch off"each ability, etc, as well as get plenty of gold, and merchants who sell all the standard lvl 50 armor and weapon types at 1 copper apiece, or something like that... Wha would this do? 

Well, Matt said, there's nothing worse than logging into a game, and rolling on a server that one of your friends isn't on, and then finding out later that you had wasted all your time there, making a character that you're gunna reroll, and I have to disagree. There's nothing worse than spending hours and hours on a character, getting him to max level, only to find out that that character wasn't all you thought he would be, and then realizing that you wasted 100's of hours on a character your not even gunna use. 

Another problem? Altaholics. When there's a new game with a whole bunch of classes available and TONS of customization within each class, like in ESO, there are people (like me), who want to try sooo many different classes and combinations, as far as weapon, armor, etc, to see what works, and to see what's best for them...

That being the case, I can't tell you how many 100's of hours I've spent making various different alts, and leveling to level 20 or so, only to find out that I didn't even like them, SUCH a pain in the ass.... A Test server would solve this problem, because in a few days, I could test out several different characters I like at level 50, and see which one is the most "me"...

Yet another benefit to a test server? Exploration...

A lot of ES'ers are complaining that they won't be able to explore the opposing territories, but a test server would rectify this instantly... Players could just log on to the test server, roll any toon they want, make them stealthy for example, and explore any area they wanted without a hassle... This would allow players to be able to search and explore through different territories, WITHOUT having to actually make a character in that faction, and level it up tremendously, investing tons of time in it, just to explore a different area... They could stick with one faction, and invest all their time in that one faction, without having to worry about not being able to see the other factions territories.

What do you guys think? Are you all for a test server like I am? I think it would be HUGE...

No. I think there has to be a line drawn between players experimenting and Actually testing systems for development. Otherwise you get situations like you had with aion, where people just lived on the test server never returning to live.

Having said that, To my knowledge the "megasevers" are just based on virtual server technologies so it would be possible to set up a test shard instance.

Wel if some players wanted to live on the "experiment server" for instance, I don't think that would be a problem, but it wouldn't be liek Open FFA PvP, but instead players would test out their characters by dueling, and then maybe if they went to Cyrodiil it would be FFA PvP...

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Nitth

Gotta disagree.  Test servers are common and very helpful.  They can't internally test new systems with enough players to make it release-ready. 

You can also keep people from "living" on the test server by doing the occasional character wipe. ;)