Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Have Respect For Square Enix

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I don't believe I've ever seen a company try and rebuild their MMO because it didn't meet the fans expectations. Usually at that point the company just tries to suck as much money as they can out of their customers before moving on to something else. Square Enix didn't do this. They decided to remake a whole game.

I have high hopes for Final Fantasy XIV 2.0, and am truthfully excited to play it when it finally comes out. I believe in supporting a company that remains loyal to it's fanbase, and even though in the past Square Enix hasn't been so great to their fanbase it seems like this time they are really trying.

Anyways, here's the link to the latest trailer for Fninal Fantasy XIV 2.0. It just came out today actually. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sji66sXWWiM&feature=player_embedded#!

Smile

Comments

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

They had a fairly large and loyal following with FFXI (including myself).  Yet they abondoned those players and made FFXIV which turned out to be a mess.

It is the only game I've ever played that I actually fell asleep at the keyboard while playing.

SE has lost my repsect.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by dave6660

They had a fairly large and loyal following with FFXI (including myself).  Yet they abondoned those players and made FFXIV which turned out to be a mess.

It is the only game I've ever played that I actually fell asleep at the keyboard while playing.

SE has lost my repsect.

Respect is earned by how we handle our mistakes as well as how we handle our successes.  Even SE admitted to the very thing you've accused them of.  Not many companies have been as brutally honest about their mistakes.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

SE has lost my repsect.

Not sure how they "abondoned" those players. FFXI couldn't last forever with the playerbase it had originally. I mean how old is this game now? Nine tens years old? I'm excited for FFXIV 2.0! I think you should at least give it a try.

Smile

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

Sony kind of did it with EQ2; they scrapped the failed game mechanics and rebuilt them from the ground up for Live Update 13, due to complaints from the fans; They also added a massively game changing system they said they never would (Alternate Advancement), because the players requested it.

I do think it's cool, though, that they care enough about the brand to not let this game be the cancerous mole on its otherwise smooth skin. I'm cautious but excited about it, to be sure.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I agree with you OP. I feel it is a classy move on their part.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    It's great that Square Enix is trying, I really do hope that something good comes out of all this re-work instead of just a steaming pile v2.0 - I really wouldnt mind a well working PvE mmorpg where I can simply concentrate on a single aspect of the game unlike all the mmo's that have PvP also, I always try to "do everything" and it's exhausting tbh.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

SE might have been misguided in their vision for XIV (then again, how many game devs aren't today?) and refused to listen to concerns leading up to launch. 

But they've been humbled, I think. What part does honor play in current Japanese society? I'd like to know.

Such a massive undertaking that only a behemoth like Square Enix (only talking about SE here) could pull off. There's so much riding on 2.0. 

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

when a company apologizes for their mistakes, hire people instead firing, waste money trying to save some pride, ask players about what was bad, what was good...

Nowdays, companies dont care about players, they just study what make profit (For example when p2p is not enough and they go f2p to earn more money) SquareEnix could make FFXIV a sucess or not, but for me, they deserve people to try the first free month of FFXIV: ARR launch. When someone ask you to forgive him deeply, with no second intentions, you should at least, listen him.

Originally posted by Roxtarr

SE has lost my repsect.

Respect is earned by how we handle our mistakes as well as how we handle our successes.  Even SE admitted to the very thing you've accused them of.  Not many companies have been as brutally honest about their mistakes.

Exactly! Not many companies these days admit to their mistakes like SE did.

Smile

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by NBlitz

SE might have been misguided in their vision for XIV (then again, how many game devs aren't today?) and refused to listen to concerns leading up to launch. 

I've always held that it was due to a lack of time to complete rather than not listening. If you watch the developer diary that came with the collector's edition it becomes apparent - they had a lot of grand plans but nearly enough time and resources to bring them to fruition. I think even Miyamoto says at one point that he was given like a week to throw together his portion of the soundtrack.

It's blatantly obvious in some ways that there were some serious resource allocation issues. For example, the animations are top notch, motion captured, but combat itself still managed to be lackluster despite that. Parley had the basics of a nice non-combat gameplay mode, but was so incomplete that they're taking it out of 2.0 completely until they can rebuild it. Levequests had some great ideas behind it, but a huge number of them were literally copy and paste jobs. There's 30+ songs on the original soundtrack, yet for the most part you only heard about  half of those in-game.

I firmly believe it wasn't an issue of not listening to concerns, but rather not having time to address them.

<3

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    I've always held that it was due to a lack of time to complete rather than not listening. If you watch the developer diary that came with the collector's edition it becomes apparent - they had a lot of grand plans but nearly enough time and resources to bring them to fruition. I think even Miyamoto says at one point that he was given like a week to throw together his portion of the soundtrack.

I'm sorry but I must debunk this myth, time wasn't the largest factor, not even remotely, they built the entire game from the ground up on the wrong engine, bad server coding, a terrible game design philosophy, and a complete ignorance of all quality of life standards within the mmo industry. That’s why they had to build a new engine after all, it didn’t matter how much time Yoshida was given, he knew they would be fighting against bad servers and engine limitations indefinitely.

This was obvious the moment he took a look under the hood, you think they took the news of a reboot well? They had no choice, there was no salvaging this.

I am sick of this time excuse, Tanaka made every mistake in the developer handbook, someone with that much clout doesn’t get kicked off unless there was no defending him in the board room. The dev diary is their defence, not a complete history. Tanaka's attitude and ignorance of the last decade of mmo development is a matter of record. But it's also very clear in every aspect of the game at launch. We all know what a rushed game looks like, this was something else, hubris and isolationism. That is why Japan rejected FFXIV even more than the EU and US, the beta testers knew they where being ignored. Not to mention the dishonest PR in the build up to launch.

Having said all that I am fully prepared to give ARR a shot, Yoshida made the right call from the start and I hope they get to add all the things they intend after the new launch.

Originally posted by zevni78

I'm sorry but I must debunk this myth, time wasn't the largest factor, not even remotely, they built the entire game from the ground up on the wrong engine, bad server coding, a terrible game design philosophy, and a complete ignorance of all quality of life standards within the mmo industry. That’s why they had to build a new engine after all, it didn’t matter how much time Yoshida was given, he knew they would be fighting against bad servers and engine limitations indefinitely.

This was obvious the moment he took a look under the hood, you think they took the news of a reboot well? They had no choice, there was no salvaging this.

I am sick of this time excuse, Tanaka made every mistake in the developer handbook, someone with that much clout doesn’t get kicked off unless there was no defending him in the board room. The dev diary is their defence, not a complete history. Tanaka's attitude and ignorance of the last decade of mmo development is a matter of record. But it's also very clear in every aspect of the game at launch. We all know what a rushed game looks like, this was something else, hubris and isolationism. That is why Japan rejected FFXIV even more than the EU and US, the beta testers knew they where being ignored. Not to mention the dishonest PR in the build up to launch.

Having said all that I am fully prepared to give ARR a shot, Yoshida made the right call from the start and I hope they get to add all the things they intend after the new launch.

Yeah, you can tell there's something wrong where everyone says that you have to wait when you go to new places for NPCs and other things to load up and appear on your screen. Hopefully it will be different with 2.0.

Smile

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Square Enix is a good company that many people like a lot. Ok so they blew it with FFXIV first time but I highly doubt they will make the same mistake twice. I have faith in these guys.
    Originally posted by Waybackwhen
    Square Enix is a good company that many people like a lot. Ok so they blew it with FFXIV first time but I highly doubt they will make the same mistake twice. I have faith in these guys.

It's a good thing some people do! A lot of people are skeptical, although I guess I can't really blame them.

Smile

• lucifer963lucifer963 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Razeekster

I have high hopes for Final Fantasy XIV 2.0, and am truthfully excited to play it when it finally comes out. 

Same here. Final Fantasy is an important part of my old (and wonderful) memories, so I wish they make it better and I can join the adventure of Moguri!image

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    That's a really good trailer imo.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I was fairly hyped about FFXIV prior to the release - I really enjoyed FFXI but got on the bandwagon late.

Once FFXIV, I really really tried to like it, but I just couldn't. It was disappointing.

I am hopeful for 2.0, and I am really glad to see a company try to make things right. I can't say I will reactivate to try it, but at the same time I won't say "NEVER" either - and the only reason for that is because SE is trying to do right after their release.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

AO was rebuilt by Funcom, but that was in the days when you could do that. Today, failure to launch equals total disaster. It does make me respect them, but for all those who played at launch they must be gnashing their teeth.

Learn the lesson. Do Not Preorder.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by zevni78

My Thoughts exactly.... Tanaka was the best thing to happen to FFXIV... because his horrific failure brought us Yoshi-P.... I can't wait for ARR!!!!

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    They are at least admitting their mistakes and going the long pricier but more complete route of trying to fix it.
    Compared to EA-Bioware they definitely seem to genuinely care about their games.
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

SE has lost my repsect.

Well said Rox

SE has my respect, without a doubt.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

I am a gamer, and i am proud of it. I am not interested in companies that only focus profit and ignore me.. that was the main reason why i left FFXIV after a week trying to play it.. 

Then they changed their staff, they asked US: What priorities do you have to fix this game?, they apologize.. multiple times. They placed an MMO Hardcore Gamer like me/us as Producer... 

In the end, with patches they improved the game from Disaster to enjoyable game (With limitations by totally monkeymade server structure and client system). I played it some Months and was like a miracle to improve it that way..

They are asking forgiveness not more without words, is more like: This is what u had to bought, this is what our company had to create, so we did it and now, please, try it.

Humane Treatment, something some companies forgot because their hopes are to become the new 10 millions players subscription (or f2p) Of course i was pissed a week after first launch, but so many times i have been "betrayed" by companies and they didnt care about it? Now someone care and i am not going to ignore them, because i was waiting it long time ago. A sincere apology with facts.

Originally posted by Dahkot72
    They are at least admitting their mistakes and going the long pricier but more complete route of trying to fix it.
    Compared to EA-Bioware they definitely seem to genuinely care about their games.

If EA and Bioware decided to just redo SWTOR because it's horrible I'd probably die from shock... EA is like the biggest money grubber, besides maybe Nexon... And that's a Korean compny that focuses on free to play titles. What's that say for EA?

Smile

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

... and because they took their lumps ... I'll likely return even if only for a bit.  Likely buy the PS3 version as well (I seem to prefer my console games lately).

Hard to say you're wrong.  Hard to fix what's wrong.  Even harder to get people to come back but I think they will.  But if ARR blows?  That's it.  Stick a fork in it.  All the goodwill earned will be wiped away.

Originally posted by Ikeda

... and because they took their lumps ... I'll likely return even if only for a bit.  Likely buy the PS3 version as well (I seem to prefer my console games lately).

Hard to say you're wrong.  Hard to fix what's wrong.  Even harder to get people to come back but I think they will.  But if ARR blows?  That's it.  Stick a fork in it.  All the goodwill earned will be wiped away.

Yeah, I'm trying to remain very hopeful for ARR.

Smile