Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Big PvP Changes Incoming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Secret World's site has been updated with a new developer blog detailing big changes coming with the arrival of Issue 4: Big Trouble in the Big Apple. Penned by Rasmus Harr, Senior PvP Designer, the blog is packed with information about how Funcom will alter PvP in several ways including overhauling rewards and boosting the underdog.

When a society has not gained a significant amount of rewards in Fusang for a while, the Council of Venice steps in to support it by unlocking a new PvP mission called The Underdogs. If your society manages to complete it, it gets a very powerful Custodian on its side. This Custodian patrols around Fusang, and helps fight enemy players and NPCs, and has a heal aura around it that benefits players on its side.

Read more on The Secret World's site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    These are the PVP changes they need, but why did it take so long to implement them.  PVP already pushed a lot of people away.  We will see if they come back.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I did a PvP run on TestLive with the devs on Friday and it was a blast.

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Too bad they didnt implement it earlier as they lost lots of players cuz of this already - but it seemes to be a pattern most mmo devs have these days - they need the money grabs.
  • Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    Agree with the other posters , and while this wasn't my only problem with Fusang ( it's still entirely too much a pve circle with some pvp mixed in ) , how do "professional" developers not have something like this in initially ?
    This was easily something that was known to be a problem even pre launch and pointed out multiple times yet months later something finally implemented about it.
    I just don't get how devs miss such glaring emblems.
    Problems not emblems , and its not just Funcom either , it's almost every mmorpg dev nowadays that has major issues and obvious ones pointed out pre launch that are ignored until its too late.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Dahkot72
    Agree with the other posters , and while this wasn't my only problem with Fusang ( it's still entirely too much a pve circle with some pvp mixed in ) , how do "professional" developers not have something like this in initially ?
    This was easily something that was known to be a problem even pre launch and pointed out multiple times yet months later something finally implemented about it.
    I just don't get how devs miss such glaring emblems.

I wouldn't be so harsh. Everyone is a genious when spouting nonsense on the forums but in reality if you were the one in charge you would probably have screwed something up as well. Everything is obvious when it has already happened....

No Kuppa - that specific problem of Fusang WAS pointed out many times in closed and open beta - didn't take a genius to foresee it
    They should have had this in at launch.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Problems not emblems , and its not just Funcom either , it's almost every mmorpg dev nowadays that has major issues and obvious ones pointed out pre launch that are ignored until its too late.

It's called limited resources.  Any project manager will tell management they get to pick two of three things: scope, money or time -- you never get all three.  The ones that gets picked most often are money and time.

No Kuppa - that specific problem of Fusang WAS pointed out many times in closed and open beta - didn't take a genius to foresee it
    They should have had this in at launch.

That's nice.  They addressed the issues and didn't ignore the feedback.  Again, resources and time; we're living in the real business world here. 

Again , this problem should have been evident at the whiteboard session that thought of Fusang.
    Easy to see should have been on from beginning. No fanboy defender of funcoms track record of launching very incomplete can say this was something they shouldn't have known.
    They shouldn't have written line one code for Fusang without having this to start with.
    And it's just one example of their rushed half assed effort ruining a possibly very good game.
    Their failed sales by their own admission numbers wise should be an example of how rushing and launching incomplete will always fail.
    So they either are imcompetent devs if they truly didn't see this issue from day one of thinking of Fusang , or a company that cannot learn from many previous market examples of a rushed launch leads to ultimate failure.
    Either way shows why Funcom is circling the drain in financial terms.
    Again , this problem should have been evident at the whiteboard session that thought of Fusang.
    Easy to see should have been on from beginning. No fanboy defender of funcoms track record of launching very incomplete can say this was something they shouldn't have known.
    They shouldn't have written line one code for Fusang without having this to start with.
    And it's just one example of their rushed half assed effort ruining a possibly very good game.
    Their failed sales by their own admission numbers wise should be an example of how rushing and launching incomplete will always fail.
    So they either are imcompetent devs if they truly didn't see this issue from day one of thinking of Fusang , or a company that cannot learn from many previous market examples of a rushed launch leads to ultimate failure.
    Either way shows why Funcom is circling the drain in financial terms.

All I'll say is that hindsight is 20-20 and that it's awfully easy to criticize as an armchair developer.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Ok so maybe the time to finally get this game has come. Still, I am not seeing any reason to part guilds as the PvP seems all faction based.
    The tired unless you program a game you can't criticize is an idiotic argument.
    I can't engineer and build a new sports car but know if I test drive an early model that stalls half the time at 70 it needs to not be produced till its fixed.
    And if you sell it anyway ? You get killed in sales and press.
    Funcom did this and as a result again , their financials and sales speak for themselves.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It's a good step in the right direction. My biggest issue was that the types of battleground maps TSW has, enforces one type of play which limits what type of builds that are viable.

This a issue that is unique to TSW more so than other games due to the millions of build combonations availible through the Ability Wheel. I've never been a "give us more maps" type of guy, but TSW screams for more dynamic playfields. 

At the pace Funcom is turning out content, I have no doubts that my concerns will be addressed. 

side note - I'd love to see a player driven battleground creator, since It doesn't look like I will be getting my PvP server ;)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

So, carping and woulda-coulda-shoulda comments aside, some discussion on how PVP in 1.4 is playing out now on Testlive:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=60920

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=61147

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Ortwig

So, carping and would-coulda-shoulda comments aside, some discussion on how PVP in 1.4 is playing out now on Testlive:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=60920

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=61147

great feedback.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

To those whining on how this should have been implemented earlier - that was not exactly the priority. 

They did listen to people and they have been patching the game and changing stuff with every update, so its only normal that they first got game stable, then fixed out the most glaring bugs in already existing content, added mroe content and then focused on revamping on what did not work in the original content. They still listened. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Dahkot
    It was pointed out in closed beta, I was one of the pointers
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

They were very straight up before launch that TSW is a PvE themepark game with PvP elements. However, they may have found that the PvP players are significant enough in the player base to give them some love.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by feena750
    These are the PVP changes they need, but why did it take so long to implement them.  PVP already pushed a lot of people away.  We will see if they come back.

ALl of these changes they are making to TSW just confirm what alot of us said in beta: the game isnt very good.....At least they are trying to make it a better game but is it too late??...I know I have no interest in ever trying this game again and Im sure there are others also.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I played TSW recently for a month and liked it very much , prob plan on re subbling again soon.  Not once did I think about playing PvP because the PvE was so good. I always feel if you are going to PvP you should play games that specialize in such like Dark fall or War hammer. But it is nice that TSW is giving a bit of love to PvPers so long as they do not neglect the PvE
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by feena750

Its because pvp was aftertought and most pppl in TSW didint really care about it.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

Pvp was more in their thoughts earlier in development. When I joined up it was very much a mixed pve / pvp game like gw2.

During beta we got the usual ex EQ / ex wow "because now it is casual game that gives welfare epics to scrubs" crowd.

Unfortunately the devs listened to them.

Thankfully it seems they have realised their mistake and are focussing more on pvp and not introducing 10.5 with the raid, so it may yet be a good game.

There are things I like about it, like the multistage "30 minute adventure" quests, only having one of them and dropping of hub to hub gameplay. I also like how things on the game reference real stuff, if you drop some powerful magic sword, its a "real" sword from legend, the busses in London are actual buses with the correct route etc.. the attention to detail Is good. Also like the skill wheel, but don't like how you need 3 sets of gear, should have just had power rather than attack power and heal power.
    Oh I like the combat too. Never got the combat moaners its near enough the same as gw2 combat.
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh I like the combat too. Never got the combat moaners its near enough the same as gw2 combat.

They both use limited skill action bars. All give you that. Otherwise did you have your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears when you played? TSW combat animation is lacking. Its response time is lacking.  Combat sounds are lacking.