Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how would you all feel if Anet added endgame Raid Dungeons in next month's content update?

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

There are a lot of other things I'd like to see that relate to "endgame" before instanced raiding. I'd love to see more endgame than just Orr, but I would absolutely hate it if it were only instanced.

The open world dragons are "raid content". A lot of the dynamic events in Orr are "raid content" - they just aren't terrible difficult and easily zerged right now. I would like for endgame content to continue that open-world trend though, although start to scale the challenge up.

Why instance it? Really. What purpose does it serve in a game like GW2 with open-world autogrouping? I would even go so far as to say that you could open up the 5-man instances to open world, except that as they are designed now it wouldn't really be feasible. But I would love to see more open-world type dungeons (something like the Goonies area in TA, but with some mobs in there).

I'd also love to see player housing, and guild housing, and Wv3 expanded greatly, and SPvP tournaments fleshed out more, and more unique world events (Mad King was very well done, I look forward to the next one in a week).

There are many more ways to do endgame than just chasing raid items inside an instanced zone. I'm sick of instanced raid zones.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Karteli

Leveling and getting bored, then starting up an alt and getting bored...

Roleplaying?

Imbalanced Low Level PVP (Heirlooms are the enemy of balance at anything lower than 30)

Dorking about in Goldshire?

oh snap, what if players actually could compare themselves with other players?  What if GW2 had interaction?

There is plenty of stuff to do in other games, largely because of interactivity.  Hell even fishing in WoW was made fun.

You downplay roleplaying, but that is part of interactivity.  GW2 sucks terribly when it comes to emotes.  They have the least I've seen in a so-called "AAA" MMORPG. shameful.  Do fans actually take pride in how GW2 is antisocial to everyone but themselves?  You may not like roleplaying, but many others do.

How the hell did you manage to get that from me just making a list? Sheesh, can't even put up a list of whatever I could think of without someone twisting it out of proportion...

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    I would love that.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I doubt they are going to add anything drastic that is not already in the game.  End game?  Raid Dungeons?  Maybe Guild Wars 3 or 4.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I would start playing again.

Joined - July 2004

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by bcbully

Originally posted by ShakyMo Go play a bloody raid grinder like wow or rift then. Why does every game need to get tainted with raids? It's almost as stupid as the people asking for pve servers with darkfall.
    What is it, 20% of players raid? I wonder what those other 8 million are doing in WoW, the "raid grinder"....
    There was a recent interview with Blizzard devs that said that less than 3% of playerbase even gets to see any current raid content - less than 1% gets to complete a single raid boss.

So yeah 99% of WoW players do not raid on a regular basis - probably up to 20% try older raid content still the vast majority of WoW playerbase doesn't raid period.

Please link the interview.

Blizzard never said that.

You are correct - it was a twitch tv broadcast with Trion devs showing the new raidng areas in the new Rift expansion - so never mind, it wasn't blizzard I was mistaken.

However around the TBC time period when 40 man raids still existed in WoW I remember reading that less than 1% of playerbase ever got to see any of that content - do your own research but I think it's pretty accurate.

That was 1% who completed Sunwell during TBC, not who raided. 

The point was to show that calling WoW a "raid grinder" is like campaign rhetoric. Not really much truth in it.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Depends on how endgame raiding is designed.

If it's like WoW with gearscore requirements, then I'd feel betrayed (like Korrigan said). I wouldn't stop playing though, unless it's all that's left for me to do.

If it's simply increasing dungeon party sizes, or better yet, more dynamic dungeon content that scales up or down with number of raid members (with a ceiling value of course), I'd be fine with that.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

I do not want to go back to rat race for gear.

The rat race for no-lifers is a horrible gameplay addiction mechanic and I'm glad it's gone.

A raid dungeon tuned for and requiring 10-20 people of level 80 and already in full exotic gear (which is not that hard to get), with complex encounters and cosmetic rewards at the end, yes, I would absolutely love that.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

There is a fundamental issue here.

ANet put legendary weapons into the game which can only be gained by a massive grind.

Everyone is defending the status quo with the 'no gear grind' formula of not having raids.

This is a central contradiction.

I would argue FOR larger dungeons groups with a Guild-centric flavour and with legendary armour as the ultimate prize from them. This would be VASTLY preferable to armour which has to be grinded the same way as the weapons ironically for the very reasons people defend the GW2 formula.

I sincerely hope the 16-18th brings us a dungeon with a higher involvement cap (I would hope a 10 person group) and legendary armours AND weapons at the end of the most difficult elements of it.

I don't want to grind for legendaries to the ridiculous extent currently necessary and I want something to help my guild get out of the torpor caused by the guild-unfriendly set up of GUILD Wars 2.

There is nothing for a Guild to do which means anything significant. No Guild Housing/Halls; No recognisable WvW presence; No Instances for more than 5 people.... just practically invisible buffs which mean very little and are gained primarily just by logging on....

I understand both sides of the arguement, and have been largely pro myself in the past. But after seeing what the game has done to my guild - a pretty proactive and cohesive group normally, I think many people are not considering one critical element of any game. Many people want a sense of acheivement. They want it to a greater extent than is currently provided in GW2.

There is no reason why raid-style content needs to have the negative aspects of raiding. Having a more guild-centric style of dungeon instance which requires a larger group does not go hand in hand with having to grind said instance after it becomes boring just for drops. ANet could easily have a similar reward set-up for a larger group instance as they do for dungeons.

So to summarise;

1. Identity in WvW - with something for Guilds to work towards

2. Raids without the abominable gear-drop grind

3. Legendary weapons and armour from challenging content - not an exasperating time/money-sink

Please don't go telling me 'I don't get it' when it comes to the game either. If you want to criticise my opinion - stick to why you think a non-grindy larger group dungeons, more guild-identity-friendly PvP and legendary weapons and armour without the terrible time-sink is bad.

GW2 is very good - but it could be better - and putting the GUILD back into the game is essential in my opinion. And yes - I know it's not called Guild Wars because of guilds.... but in losing that aspect of meaning in the title I think they lost a critical element of what would make the game not just good, but great.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

There is a fundamental issue here.

ANet put legendary weapons into the game which can only be gained by a massive grind.

Everyone is defending the status quo with the 'no gear grind' formula of not havingr raids.

This is a central contradiction.

I would argue FOR larger dungeons groups with a Guild-centric flavour and with legendary armour as the ultimate prize from them.

This would be VASTLY preferable to armour which has to be grinded the same way as the weapons ironically for the very reasons people defend the GW2 formula.

I sincerely hope the 16-18th brings us a dungeon with a higher involvement cap (I would hope a 10 person group) and legendariy armours AND weapons at the end of the mos difficult elements of it.

I don't want to grind for legendaries to the ridiculous extent necessary and I want something to help my guild get out of the torpor caused by the guild-unfriendly set up of GUILD Wars 2.

There is nothing for a Guild to do which means anything significant. No Guild Housing/Halls; No recognisable WvW presence; No Instances for more than 5 people.... just invisible buffs which mean very little and are gained primarily just by logging on....

I understand both sides of the arguement, and have been pro myself in the past. But after seeing what the game has done to my guild - a pretty proactive and cohesive group normally, I think many people are not considering one important element of any game. Many people want a sense of acheivement. They want it to a greater extent than is currently provided in GW2.

There is no reason why raid-style content needs to have the negative aspects of raiding. Having a more guild-centric style of dungeon instance which requires a larger group does not go hand in hand with having to grind said instance after it becomes boring just for drops. ANet could easily have a similar reward set-up for a larger group instance as they do for dungeons.

So to summarise;

1. Identity in WvW - with something for Guilds to work towards

2. Raids without the abominable gear-drop grind

3. Legendary weapons and armour from challenging content - not an exasperating time/money-sink

Please don't go telling me 'I don't get it' when it comes to the game either. If you want to criticise my opinion - stick to why you think a non-grindy larger group dungeons, more guild-identity-friendly PvP and legendary weapons and armour without the terrible time-sink is bad.

GW2 is very good - but it could be better - and putting the GUILD back into the game is essential in my opinion. And yes - I know it's not called Guild Wars because of guilds.... but in losing that aspect of meaning in the title I think they lost a critical element of what would make the game not just good, but great.

I agree with cosmetic legendaries for completing raid dungeons. Maybe not after 1 run, but with maybe a token system, make it like 4 tokens on a weekly raid lockout, seems fine to me.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Why else would you play wow if not to grind raids?

It's crafting is shite
    It's pvp is shite

The whole purpose of wow Is to grind raids, if it isn't why do blizzard put such a massive amount of effort into raiding.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

If by 'raids' you mean harder dungeons with more people, and perhaps more dynamic as well, then sure, absolutely. But, if it's meant to be a gear treadmill where we wash, rinse, and repeat every couple of months, then no, absolutely not. 

I think the only way I'd be okay with "gear grinding end-game" is if there were other ways to obtain EQUALLY powerful gear (that looks equally as cool). Crafting, long quest chains, dailies, dungeons tokens, etc.

Personally, I'd rather see things like Guild v Guild (v Guild?) PvP, Guild housing, player housing, more professions, etc etc etc. But hey, if raids are what the majority of the playerbase wants, and Anet decides to go that route, then so be it.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Needs option for "Wouldn't mind, would like it, don't necessarily need it." or "Focus should be on more pressing issues."

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Your options are very limited, so I won't vote for any of them.

I'm not quite sure big raids are even possible in gw2 as it is now. There obviously are examples such as Three Dragons = world bosses. But those encounters are not hard by any stretch of imagination. Raid scenarios in WoW were always made around very limited number of people (tanks and healers mainly, sometimes DPS with a special role) with the rest being just DPS race. I'm not quite sure that's possible in gw2, without any aggro management and without precise roles of characters.

Anyway if they pull it off, sure I don't really care. I doubt I personaly would find a group big enough and I''m not sure if people would be villing to invest time to something that big for aesthetic changes alone. In my opinion, they are better to do more world bosses or huge dynamic events instead of raid dungeons. Makes more sense anyway.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Why else would you play wow if not to grind raids?

It's crafting is shite
    It's pvp is shite

The whole purpose of wow Is to grind raids, if it isn't why do blizzard put such a massive amount of effort into raiding.

Campaign season is over man. Stop with the rhetoric. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    So, you want GW2 to be just like every other MMO out there? No thank you. That is why I am playing GW2, because it is different and doesn't have the snobbish end game RAIDS.

Good answer bully. 8)

So what would be a reason for playing wow other than raiding?

You wouldn't play it craft, as crafting is useless in wow, just a gold sink.

You wouldn't play it to pvp, as you can get wow style pvp for free in moba games, or you can get better pvp actually designed for a mmo not a lobby game in games like gw2 and eve
    Good answer bully. 8)

You wouldn't play it to pvp, as you can get wow style pvp for free in moba games, or you can get better pvp actually designed for a mmo not a lobby game in games like gw2 and eve

Actually crafting in WoW is a money maker. It always has been, even more so in MoP. Farming mats is a money maker too. Ask a alchemist if crafting is a gold sink. 

Arena PvP is the only mmorpg Esport on the market. 

As far as what to do besides raid and arena? Idk ask the other 7-8 million people who play WoW that don't do either.  There are a lot of meta games and rep grinds, and fluff in WoW.  This is what WoW has on the competition. Many flavors of content for all types of players, not just for casuals.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Good answer bully. 8)

Actually crafting in WoW is a money maker. It always has been, even more so in MoP. Farming mats is a money maker too. Ask a alchemist if crafting is a gold sink. 

Arena PvP is the only mmorpg Esport on the market. 

As far as what to do besides raid and arena? Idk ask the other 7-8 million people who play WoW that don't do either.  There are a lot of meta games and rep grinds, and fluff in WoW.  This is what WoW has on the competition. Many flavors of content for all types of players, not just for casuals.

THe point is, right now the only people playing WoW are the hardcore players, not the casual players. There NEEDS to be a game for the casual players. THere are plenty of hardcore games out there - Rift, WoW, TERA, TSW, EVE, etc. What is out there for the casual player? Name one other than GW2. People on this site,  act as if casual gaming is a bane on the exsistance of humanity and it is not.

I dont have the time to spend 8 hours a day gaming and if I did, I STILL wouldn't do it. I did it in the past but I am over that. There is more to RL than games to escape from RL..

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Betrayed.

But since it won't happen, there's nothing to worry about.

But it did happen. 

I always say 'never say never'.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Fion
    Guild Wars 1 didn't have raids

Yes it did.

Guild Wars 1 has Elite Missions. I remember a couple having a max of 12 players.

Did you really play GW1?

Elite Missions are raids in the losest sense of the word. Most people don't even call them 'raids' because unlike raiding in other MMOGs, there is no gear progression through multiple tiers. Instead they rewarded some unique skins and boss drops. Frankly I don't know anyone who ever even called them Raids back in the day when I played GW1 a tun.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

The problem with raiding is that it destroys a games risk/reward balace and alienates players that dont like raiding.

It turns a game into a second job a competitive epeen fest. 

In order for your game to have raiding it needs to give awesome rewards that you cant find anywhere else.

If you dont people simlpy wont do them.

So by adding in these reward anyone that dislikes that mechanic cant access these items and are left seeing all of these people parading their new gear around a major city.

Overtime any non-raider feels like the second class citizen. Overtime the raiders become top of the food chain and the community goes south from there.

Adding progression raiding into a mmo is the worst thing you could do. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    a game with a raid end game is a game with no end game as far as I am concerned

I miss DAoC

bully, what lol isn't an esport?????

Anyway get back to me with wow is worth playing when it has pvp content that's not just cheap tacked on mini games and flip a switch and "great" pvp magically happens servers.

As for crafting maybe alchemy is worth it - to sell flasks to raiders. But making your own armour and weapons and shit isn't, because the "demi gods if the raid sphere" must have better kit than "low crafters"
    Raiding makes everything else in the game rubbish.

Not one game that has tiered raiding endgame has good pvp or good crafting.

Wow, EQ, eq2, rift, swtor, Aoc since it changed - all of them have piss poor pvp and crafting.