Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV Bahamuth Video

Comments

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    still epic

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by mymmo

I do understand your point, and you are correct that Bahamut is a thing that is a staple character in the FF franchise. But you have to understand it from my and others view point as well. It dosent matter if they are naming a thing differently,  when it has the same shape, acts the same way and are causing the same issues (destorys the world). The video of the bahamuth/dragon is such a bad move mainly because another franchise did the exacet same thing a couple of months ago and for me it creats just a big yawn (its a good animated sequence, dont get me wrong.). Its the anti thesis of fantasy when developers are copy/pasting stuff. 

They could have done this so much better. 

Big, huge, glaring oversight in your assertions...

Dalamud coming to Eorzea has been in motion for well over a year. It's been growing larger in the sky over the various patches (you can see the process here). SE has known since they decided the direction to take FFXIV in with Naoki Yoshida at the helm that Dalamud would be a prison for Bahamut. We're talking about around 1.5 years now since they provided the new direction and timeline for the game.

You don't seriously think they conceived that idea, wrote, storyboarded, produced, edited and completed that entire cut-scene in just the last 2, or even 3 months, do you? Cinematics of that scope and scale take months to complete, and considering they've used short snippets from that cinematic in teaser trailers going back several months now, I'd say it's quite clear that, no, this wasn't some idea they decided to copy from ANet in the last couple months, or longer for that matter.

In other words, SE didn't copy any game's theme. ANet or otherwise.

As has been said, Bahamut in the FF series has often brought with him destruction and mayhem to whatever world the game takes place in. This is nothing new. It's practically canon for the FF series. It's particularly in-line with the role of primals in XIV, as other primals have already been introduced to the game, each of them seeking to inflict harm as well. If nothing else, they're being consistent.

Look, it's quite clear you, and others who would view it the same as you, are trying to dismiss and undermine the brilliance of the video and what SE is doing. But you're seriously going to have to try a lot harder than that.

And frankly, I wouldn't bother. No matter what you think you've got "figured out", or what you think you "know" they did or are doing... it's pure conjecture. Nothing more. It only "looks the same" and "acts the same" to you because your pre-determined conclusion requires it to.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqL3-n2-3J4&feature=g-all-u

omfg...  Goodbye FFXIV 1.0... Welcome FFXIV: ARR

Dragons are so over done that it has become a cliche.

And once again people going omfg after watching cgi video. Just like how they did when FFXIV was about to release.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

I've only just found out about a Final Fantasy MMO. So I've decided to download the free trial, though I've been told not to expect much in XIV. 

Sorry the other FF. I meant... meh so confusing these games.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

bad ass trailer, but havent we seen this in another game latlely? 

Dragon that destorys the world...

Any way, is there a video of the last minutes of the gameplay? 

True, but remember, the idea of a dragon as a world destroyer or coming at the end of the world isn't a wow creation. There are several mythologies that incorporate similiar ideas.

If anything, for any game that uses a dragon as such, it's just convenient.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

It does look really awesome for a trailer. 

Did anyone else notice the Ifrit weapons were used by the Adventurer's?  I thought that was just so badass!

Also I hope Uld'ah made it, it was my favorite city!  Spent hours and HOURS there.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166
    theres some alpha gameplay on youtube if ppl are interested
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

And once again people going omfg after watching cgi video. Just like how they did when FFXIV was about to release.

People always fall for the "preety trailer". They wouldn't spend milions on those things if they didn't work.

But yea I rmemeber how 2 years ago everyone were hyped about trailer with the same party we see here fighting Malboro =P

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by QSatu

People always fall for the "preety trailer". They wouldn't spend milions on those things if they didn't work.

But yea I rmemeber how 2 years ago everyone were hyped about trailer with the same party we see here fighting Malboro =P

Well its worked on me. that shit was hot!!!! Ill be buying it when it comes out.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Uhhh.... if we own FFXIV, do we need to repurchase?  Not much of a FFXIV fan (at all) but I'll be damned if that video didn't give me a tingle and a twinge of regret.  I remember MANY discussions about this with Tau back at launch.
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    Uhhh.... if we own FFXIV, do we need to repurchase?  Not much of a FFXIV fan (at all) but I'll be damned if that video didn't give me a tingle and a twinge of regret.  I remember MANY discussions about this with Tau back at launch.

As far as i know you not only dont have to buy it, you even get 1 free month. So the only thing you gotta do is download the client

• lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    The trailer is wow! but i will wait for more gameplay video
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by lqw6843128
    The trailer is wow! but i will wait for more gameplay video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwenut2xit8

Here you go

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I saw gunblades! I want a gunblade!
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

OMG a Final Fantasy trailer with Bahamuth, how crazy is that?

/rolleyes

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Ok, wow.

I almost cried.

Seriously, just wow.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    And Odin trots to the rescue listen close after louisiox smiles. you hear him and Ifrit . That's why he smiled because he is also a god. think about it watch the video his staff has the mark of the scholar and projects it to seal Bahamut . He also has the hourglass marked on his neck , he reaches back to it and teleports us to the future.

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Such a wonderful trailer that was.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Why do people keep calling this a trailer? While this video does build hype for the future ARR release, it's far more accurately described as the closing cinematic for 1.0.

<3

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Pretty Decent CGI trailer for a game. Not the best game trailer I have seen but overall pretty good. My one complaint would be the character (hero?) models.. they look pretty dumb. 

Would it get me to check out the game? Hmm naa not really. Lets see some of the gameplay.. The last build didnt look that good to me. Thats one of the reasons I never tried it. Which apparently is a good thing. From what I have read though it looks like the new version will be alot like WOW with a more advanced graphics engine. Is that right?

On a side note GW2 is awesome! And I am anxiously awaiting more info on EQnext.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

I do understand your point, and you are correct that Bahamut is a thing that is a staple character in the FF franchise. But you have to understand it from my and others view point as well. It dosent matter if they are naming a thing differently,  when it has the same shape, acts the same way and are causing the same issues (destorys the world). The video of the bahamuth/dragon is such a bad move mainly because another franchise did the exacet same thing a couple of months ago and for me it creats just a big yawn (its a good animated sequence, dont get me wrong.). Its the anti thesis of fantasy when developers are copy/pasting stuff. 

They could have done this so much better. 

Big, huge, glaring oversight in your assertions...

Dalamud coming to Eorzea has been in motion for well over a year. It's been growing larger in the sky over the various patches (you can see the process here). SE has known since they decided the direction to take FFXIV in with Naoki Yoshida at the helm that Dalamud would be a prison for Bahamut. We're talking about around 1.5 years now since they provided the new direction and timeline for the game.

You don't seriously think they conceived that idea, wrote, storyboarded, produced, edited and completed that entire cut-scene in just the last 2, or even 3 months, do you? Cinematics of that scope and scale take months to complete, and considering they've used short snippets from that cinematic in teaser trailers going back several months now, I'd say it's quite clear that, no, this wasn't some idea they decided to copy from ANet in the last couple months, or longer for that matter.

In other words, SE didn't copy any game's theme. ANet or otherwise.

As has been said, Bahamut in the FF series has often brought with him destruction and mayhem to whatever world the game takes place in. This is nothing new. It's practically canon for the FF series. It's particularly in-line with the role of primals in XIV, as other primals have already been introduced to the game, each of them seeking to inflict harm as well. If nothing else, they're being consistent.

Look, it's quite clear you, and others who would view it the same as you, are trying to dismiss and undermine the brilliance of the video and what SE is doing. But you're seriously going to have to try a lot harder than that.

And frankly, I wouldn't bother. No matter what you think you've got "figured out", or what you think you "know" they did or are doing... it's pure conjecture. Nothing more. It only "looks the same" and "acts the same" to you because your pre-determined conclusion requires it to.

Holy molly. You are taking things personal. Take it easy. 

And no. I have not figured something out. Its there, from my view point. Its there and I like to express what I see, that is why I am on a mmorpg forum d i s c u s s i n g my view point. The same thing as you are doning with your post. But Im doing it from a different stand point. 

This "A realm reborn" video is a copy paste from word of warcraft:catalysm. Look for yourself

And to be clear. I liked what I saw in this video. I do understand its importance for the ones that have played the game. Its a good handcraft that will mostly create a good setting for this re-start of the FFXIV. But I do also see the flaws. 

And it dosent matter for me if it has been in pipeline for years. I see what I see. Its about similarities between games. And good for you that you do not seem them. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360

bahamut was in the 1 final fantasy game (1987)

Why bahamuth ? Because dragons destroying citys ,never get old :D , and bring back memorys from other FF (for example FFIX , alexandria destroyed by baha ? )

Holy molly. You are taking things personal. Take it easy. 

And no. I have not figured something out. Its there, from my view point. Its there and I like to express what I see, that is why I am on a mmorpg forum d i s c u s s i n g my view point. The same thing as you are doning with your post. But Im doing it from a different stand point. 

This "A realm reborn" video is a copy paste from word of warcraft:catalysm. Look for yourself

And to be clear. I liked what I saw in this video. I do understand its importance for the ones that have played the game. Its a good handcraft that will mostly create a good setting for this re-start of the FFXIV. But I do also see the flaws. 

And it dosent matter for me if it has been in pipeline for years. I see what I see. Its about similarities between games. And good for you that you do not seem them. 

First, I'm not taking it personally at all. You're simply wrong, and I'm pointing out why.

Second, you are obviously not just d i s c u s s i n g anything. You're making an assertion. You're accusing SE of "copying and pasting" something from another game. People have come back explaining why that isn't so, and you've continued to argue it. Remarks like, "Its the anti thesis of fantasy when developers are copy/pasting stuff." is not discussion. It's not an open question. It's an accusation.

Second, as for it "being a copy and paste of the Cataclysm video".

Well...

First that's complete hyperbole and you know it.

Second, you're shifting goal posts now. You started off alluding to GW2 by talking about it being a copy of a game "that did the same exact thing a couple months ago". I pointed out how that would be chronologically and logistically impossible given the time-frame (among other reasons). So now, instead of conceding the point (as you should have), you conveniently change your argument  to make it about Cataclysm. Yes, I noticed. In fact, I expected you to do just that. And you didn't disappoint. Well done!

You've already started wavering and waffling on your argument, which means your argument wasn't a strong one to begin with. What you are doing at this point is grasping at straws, because you won't let yourself accept that you were wrong. Your argument has already been disproved, you just won't accept it. Don't worry, it happens a lot around here. You're in good company.

Second, I did watch that Cata video. Many times. I dug it. It even got me excited for Cataclysm back at the time. It's nothing like the FFXIV video. The only similarities are: Dragon and Stuff getting messed up. That's it. Everything else is different. The only "copying and pasting" taking place is in your imagination. The dragons are canon in both settings, and in the case of FFXIV, Bahamut has often been the bringer of destruction to the worlds he engages. It's kind of his thing. So, again, SE is not "copying and pasting" anything. They're being 100% consistent to their own lore and canon.

I realize you're committed to this premise and so you have to find any little angle you think will work to try and "prove it". I fully expect you to continue shifting the goal-post and trying to find new points to argue. You're making connections where none exist, but for in your mind.

Personally, I'd give it up and accept it's a similiarty (which can be found going much farther back than either game), but I don't think you will. I fully expect you'll be back, trying to find some other angle to argue instead.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Im sorry this thread is crazy. Its a fmv, a movie it has no value as a game , doesn't tell you anythign about the game, its worth near nothing as far as improving game experince. Hype over it is sad as its totlly not critical nor logical, other than to say yeah nice video , now lets see the game.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by Jetrpg
    Im sorry this thread is crazy. Its a fmv, a movie it has no value as a game , doesn't tell you anythign about the game, its worth near nothing as far as improving game experince. Hype over it is sad as its totlly not critical nor logical, other than to say yeah nice video , now lets see the game.

This movie isn't intended to hype the game. It's intended to bring closure to the story arc of 1.0. It just happens to do so in an amazing and epic way. We'll never be able to play through this chapter of the game again.

That said, videos hyping 2.0 have already been released - CGI and gameplay videos alike, though they've been based on earlier Alpha builds of the game and limited content.

I think we'll see more going forward now as they're getting full-blown into the testing phase 2.0/ARR.