Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those who quit: Would you ever play a cosmetic gear only game again?

Comments

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by neve1272
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

Can´t we have both?

Statted gear that works on pve /solo environments but  that on pvp scenarios does not affect the character.

That way we can both see our character progress in power without screwing up pvp balance.

this ..i would love this

What GW2 needs is a system like lotro.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Game? Yes. MMORPG No.

Progression is a very important aspect of an RPG, for me. Without it, half the reason for playing the game goes away.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Gear progression means:

No-lifers get an advantage over others.

That's basically what the gear rat race is: the person with the most spare time wins.

The only people advocating gear progression are those no-lifers who want to feel superior to others purely as a result of being able to spend more time playing a video game.

Sorry kids, equal gear, upgrade your player skill, not your toon's stats.

Ah, I was waiting for this arguement!  Always good to see people believe this must be true.

I don't have anywhere near the amount of time I used to have to play MMOs.  But I still much prefer to "improve" my gear.  Now, I do love SWTORs system (finally) to be able to put stats into other gear.  Similar to GW2.  I can still improve my gear slowly, and keep the look I want without needing some silly token to keep changing it back to how I want it to look.

Why is that such a terrible, no life system?

And really, you speak as if these "no lifers" aren't doing something you wish you could do all the time.  Enjoying their favorite hobby all the time. I'm not saying your hobby is to just grind MMOs.  I'm referring to whatever hobby you enjoy most.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

And this rises the ethernal game design question : Why are we playing ?

Are you playing to be better than others ?

Are you playing to stand unique among crowd ?

Is this same ?

To have higher score ? Are chosmetical items not kind of visible high score ?

More visible than the kill list...

Lot of questions.

But in the end just one question remains :

IS THE GAME FUN FOR YOU ?

Funny that no one else responded to this, even though it brings up the root of the problem: too many people have been conditioned into thinking of MMORPGs of their own personal skinner boxes, with gear progression becoming the symbolic treat.

<3

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

The reason i quit was because gear is only cosmetic.

The sense of becoming stronger with new gear over time doesnt exist...it makes me not wanna login to play....

Im as strong at lvl 1 pvp boosted to 80, as i am gonna be 1 year from now...thats boring just to think about it...everyone in bgs is gonna have same strenght as me...only difference is skills people choose in that moment.

• AdzijaAdzija Member UncommonPosts: 58

Maybe a bit off topic but I was wondering if people that play MMORPG with gear progression would still play those games if they got all gear drops from first two raid runs.

Just imagine you get one or two drops from each boss and it all goes to you. You get all gear slots with new gear in first month after new expansion hits.

Would you still play it then? Just something to consider.

• deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66

I would think that there are a good many MMO gamers that play their characters as if it were a hero from a book.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by deamian

I would think that there are a good many MMO gamers that play their characters as if it were a hero from a book.

Erm not in GW2 I didnt, GW2 is more like dress up with barbie.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

Can´t we have both?

Statted gear that works on pve /solo environments but  that on pvp scenarios does not affect the character.

That way we can both see our character progress in power without screwing up pvp balance.

No we can't.Some people don'y play the game to be even you know,when i put time into my character i want it to be powerful,i want to show off my acomplishments and by that i don't mean achievements.Every game that separates PVE from PVP sucks in my book big time,it breaks the immersion.People that want to always be even in pvp should pick a console fighting game,there you have close to 0 immersion which obviously you don't need .

In every game the stats cap somewhere and if you're a goood player you're going to have yours capped.Effort brings reward.

And yes i'm a big pvper.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

I like both, but the latter (cosmetic & horizontal) needs to have stuff to do after reaching the cap (unlike GW2), like sandbox stuff and real diplomatic / mercantile / crafting / warfare stuff.

ps. inb4 "do 100% map, do dungeons, do jumping puzzles" <- already done that and it wasn't nearly as satisfying as my previous carrots. WvW is static, it has no meaning, spvp is bull..

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Adzija

Maybe a bit off topic but I was wondering if people that play MMORPG with gear progression would still play those games if they got all gear drops from first two raid runs.

Just imagine you get one or two drops from each boss and it all goes to you. You get all gear slots with new gear in first month after new expansion hits.

Would you still play it then? Just something to consider.

Probably not, raids need carrot and it's the carrot that keeps most people playing (themeparks), GW2 has no carrot when you reach 80, thusly the eagerness to login is diminished by a big margin.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Gear progression means:

No-lifers get an advantage over others.

That's basically what the gear rat race is: the person with the most spare time wins.

The only people advocating gear progression are those no-lifers who want to feel superior to others purely as a result of being able to spend more time playing a video game.

Sorry kids, equal gear, upgrade your player skill, not your toon's stats.

Nonsense. I don't have 10 hours a day to spend playing MMOS but i still enjoy progression.

Stop generalising please.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You see here is the thing. The gear in GW2 is not just cosmetic. There are what, 4 different levels of 80 gear with stats?

The only difference between gear in WoW and gear in GW2 is that GW2 doesn't have a raid teir gear set, because it doesn't have raids. Content stops at the heroic level in GW2. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

And this rises the ethernal game design question : Why are we playing ?

Are you playing to be better than others ?

Are you playing to stand unique among crowd ?

Is this same ?

To have higher score ? Are chosmetical items not kind of visible high score ?

More visible than the kill list...

Why the assumption that it has anything to do with others?

Do people not play to be better than themselves?

Most gamers, both serious and not, that I've known have been internally referrential, they neither knew nor cared what anyone else was thinking of them or their progress.

The assumption of progression being purely a matter of impressing others has always struck me as rather odd and, outside of the possibility (probability?) or projection, difficult to explain.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I prefer a gear system like we had in Daoc. Crafted gear was the best gear and it degraded over time eventually needing to be replaced. Crafting should be useful in a game and should be the best gear you can get. I simply will not play an ammo where I have to grind gear as we did in Wow ever again.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    first of all, nobody "quit" because the game is b2p. unless they got a refund. not only would i play another cosmetic gear game again, but id pay a monthly fee if it was good like GW2. to me, it's the only kind of progression that matters. im having a blast running explorable dungeons now to make my character looks like a complete badass. 
  • umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by Tayah

I prefer a gear system like we had in Daoc. Crafted gear was the best gear and it degraded over time eventually needing to be replaced. Crafting should be useful in a game and should be the best gear you can get. I simply will not play an ammo where I have to grind gear as we did in Wow ever again.

i wouldnt play a game with this kind of system, and casuals wouldnt touch it. it sounds really, really tedious and boring. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

In a PvP focused game I like cosmetic rewards to rule the roost, in PvE focused games I like stat items. It's not one or another.

I can't see why any PvPer would want their combat based on stats/ class/ lvl though... unless they really just doubted their own skill.

I didn't eventually stop playing because of stats, I stopped playing (for now) due to not enjoying the group PvE set up and having played it as much as I wanted to as a solo PvE game, as well as a few other factors.

When there is enough new solo PvE content to get my teeth into I will go back for sure. Nothing at all to do with whether the items are just cosmetic or not.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yes, I've played many games with a low gear factor for many years e.g.
    Daoc, eve, coh, perpetuum, pre bioware war, pre Morrison Aoc

I actively avoid games where gear is all, the wow / EQ model if you will. It's one of the main reasons I quit tsw, fun while leveling, horrible wow gear grind endgame.
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Bad poll, very few options, so didn't vote.

The problem i hav with "cosmetic gear progression" is that i see it only as a side features, in the same vein as pets, mounts, artifacts, housing and various decorations, etc. I love clothing and swtiching to look better and/or different from day to day.

Which is why i find replacing standart progression with armor looks to be bad. However, i don't like the normal vertical progression via raids and higher tier based armor most mmorpgs have nowadays. I love getting more powerfull, but don't want to 1 shot everything all the time.

Getting new uber skills with powerfull damage and effects which would have huge cooldowns would be something i support far more. Vertical power progression which would be hard to obatin, that doesn't ruin the game in either pvp or pve along side cosmetic progression, which would be easy to obtain, to give shorter term "goals" and rewards.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i no longer play.  but the "cosmetic gear only" was the best idea in the game and not the reason i stopped.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Elevenb4
    I can't stand getting to end game and having nothing to keep you there. I was really sad to see that I could look tougher, but not actually be any different. Maybe they'll do something about it in the future.

sad that your only goal in gaming is endgame.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

This site has a very skewed population. I would say the majority (or super-majority if you want) are hard-core gamers. I mean the number of threads on other games where EVE and Vanguard are mentioned as the best games, just boggles the mind.

That said, people on this site seem to thin parity is bad and non-parity is good. Casual gamers deserve a game too. This is it.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    I didnt mind how they did it at all. I actually stopped playing because no matter how you spin.........WTF I just looked up and its snowing at 40degrees.....anyway I dont care how you spin it thier design of no dedicated tanks or healers fail when it comes to instances. Even with a tanky spec, tanky gear character there are alot of situations where kiting is the only reliable way to do them. I know I know we all know (and some of us actually ran them) there are specific paths you can take and finish an instance in 10-30min. Sorry, I'm not in it to min/max I'm in it to have fun. Skipping 80% of an instance because another way is 100% easier is bad design.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by DMKano

There are some players like myself who don't care what their character looks like - it doesn't motivate me to play as cosmetics are the absolute last thing on the list for me, so this is where a game loo GW2 does nothing for me. Cosmetic progression makes no sense to me period.

the depth of gameplay options is what matters to me, what can I do in game as far as combat mechanics? Like give me 40 different ways to defeat a dungeon,  don't care about looking 40 different ways.

It seems in most games, like Rift for example, there is ONE way to defeat a dungeon not 40. It seems the games with scaled gear grind have fewer options not more.

In GW2, you CAN defeat the dungeon in more than one way - the options are endless, if you play your character well and notice the tells on mobs.