Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those who quit: Would you ever play a cosmetic gear only game again?

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Feel free to add your own comments if you still actively play.

Would you ever play a cosmetic based game like GW2 again?  One in which stats plateau rather quickly at level cap and cosmetic gear is the only thing you work for.  For me, I would have to say no.  I don't have a difinitive answer to how you go about stopping or slowing down power creep and I also know I like a horizontal progression more so but its near impossible to develop a game with limited power creep without having to go the route of full-on tiered gear.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

Can´t we have both?

Statted gear that works on pve /solo environments but  that on pvp scenarios does not affect the character.

That way we can both see our character progress in power without screwing up pvp balance.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I like cosmetic gear, but I also like stat disparity.  I think they should be kept somewhat seperate, but regardless of that, forcing balanced stats defeats the whole purpose of even having stats at all.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

Can´t we have both?

Statted gear that works on pve /solo environments but  that on pvp scenarios does not affect the character.

That way we can both see our character progress in power without screwing up pvp balance.

Very cool idea in my opinion but then wouldn't it make it harder to keep PvP out of instances? 

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    what is this GW2 u speak of?
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    I can't stand getting to end game and having nothing to keep you there. I was really sad to see that I could look tougher, but not actually be any different. Maybe they'll do something about it in the future.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

And this rises the ethernal game design question : Why are we playing ?

Are you playing to be better than others ?

Are you playing to stand unique among crowd ?

Is this same ?

To have higher score ? Are chosmetical items not kind of visible high score ?

More visible than the kill list...

Lot of questions.

But in the end just one question remains :

IS THE GAME FUN FOR YOU ?

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

I never could understand this kind of mentality. If they give you uber gear, they dumb down the whole game for you.

The  game was built around the idea of replayability, that you could go a do again a lower level zone cause you scaled down with it. If your stats shoot up with uber gear, no matter how much your level scales down, the whole game becomes too easy to be replayable. Horizontal progression in the form of alternate traits would be a much better way of handling this imo.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

It depends.  As it stands at the moment, GW2 fails to provide any benefit for repeating content or indeed any reason to do so.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

In general I prefer a form of simulation over blatantly virtual functions.

I do not mean emulation here. A game does not need to match real life to work, but it should draw some funadamental mechanics that make sense.

Gear is overall a great example for this, and why I even mention it at all. In reality gear does not grant us anything, it rebalances us. I much prefer situations where a piece of gear can push a particular design, rather than just boosting their stats.

It convolutes things a bit more this way, but it serves an end that I generally see as more functional. People can hone in stats with metagaming, but they aren't treadmilling to actually obtain bigger stats, just more refined stats.

Which I guess goes far in saying that I value stat balance in a sense. It seems in a large part lost in GW@, but they have a somewhat similar mechanic in place. There isn't a major disparity between stat insreases in items, but they all group the stats you elect to focus on in order to tailor your character on more than just a cosmetic level. With four main stats and then the ancillary ones, with three stats (one often ancillary or second tier so not core stat), it forces the player to pick where they are going to place their focus on or sacrifice just like anywhere else.

The only thing that stands to be complained about is the inability to place one's character above anyone else by obtaining something notably superior.

Which for some that is the game, and one's that don't cater to that aren't going to please such a player.

In general I cast my vote for balanced stats. It's just what I prefer. However, I also feel there needs to be more apparent effects on the differences in stat balance from a play side of things. Enough disparity between changing stats that it really generates a strong and apparent differentiation in how a character interacts and uses a character.

Not some quirk where a person with high reflex or a brain fueled energy shield is effectively another version of a tank. It defeats the purpose of differences in stats and design. It can be there, but they need to have their clear caveats and differences.

EDIT: Short answer, no I would not play a solely cosmetic driven game.

Neither would I play a game focused on stat progression.

For me, both concepts miss the mark.

Refinement and specialization are more what I prefer. A balanced net total that is highly malleable for custimization.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    totally comsetics alltheway but no restrictions like pvp only and town only .. thats just lame idea.
  • zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

i never understood the who idea of getting better gear the more you play

its like saying if your good we are going to give you somthing to make you better

making the whole game easier for you

i would say maybe they should make items worse like a handicap system   but you start to get fame  or somthing like that   to stand out

but i must say that gw2  did fail in somthing   the  items  that  are ment to be cosmetic  well they arnt  cosmectic enough for me

considering  based on gold  and gems  some armor is  £100  nothing ive seen  is worth  £10

dusk and dawn  cost  roughly about 300 gold

now considering you get 23 gold for £40

thats £500  for a sword   now that sword has to look amazing  and i really mean amazing 

i could for that sort of money go to a local amoury  and get a sword made  and  have  a physical  metal sword

ive not even seen  anything in the game that makes me want to pay £10

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Feel free to add your own comments if you still actively play.

Would you ever play a cosmetic based game like GW2 again?  One in which stats plateau rather quickly at level cap and cosmetic gear is the only thing you work for.  For me, I would have to say no.  I don't have a difinitive answer to how you go about stopping or slowing down power creep and I also know I like a horizontal progression more so but its near impossible to develop a game with limited power creep without having to go the route of full-on tiered gear.

Ive quit because WvW is unballanced. Night Capping is disgusting. I like to achieve things in WvW. Some cosmetic rank would have been awesome. Give the people rank 100, where rank1 takes you 10h to make and every rank you add more xp to farm and would be nice. 

Eternal BG has to be 3-5 times bigger then the size it has atm. Borderlands must be at least the size of what EB is atm.

At the end of the day community makes the game and GW2 is a themepark game where people PVE like crazy. 

GW2 will never fail but the game will be better in 1y. Playing the game few hours per week wont harm any1. 

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by zimboy69

its like saying if your good we are going to give you somthing to make you better

i would say maybe they should make items worse like a handicap system   but you start to get fame  or somthing like that   to stand out

but i must say that gw2  did fail in somthing   the  items  that  are ment to be cosmetic  well they arnt  cosmectic enough for me

considering  based on gold  and gems  some armour is  £100  nothing ive seen  is worth  £10

thats £500  for a sword   now that sword has to look amazing  and i really mean amazing 

ive not even seen  anything in the game that makes me want to pay £10 for  not even dusk or dawn

No pixelated item regardless how awesome it looks, is worth that amount of money, if ppl are spending that much then they are really stupid beyond help, whether you have the disposable cash or not.

As to the OP's question, I would never say never, GW2 is a real dissapointment as the first installment is a much better game imho.  GW2 feels like I'm grinding for items to obtain a unique skin, which to be quiet honest doesnt really appeal to me. yes there is pvp but even that just feels like an empty void with the constant zergging to take keeps out.  Its that bad that I have resubbed to SWtoR, at least I feel some character progression, which is probably whats missing from GW2.

I have grown up with RPG's from good old pen and paper, all rpg's I've played had a form of character progression that made you feel attatched to your character, in no way shape or form do I feel attached to any of my GW2 characters.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

No pixelated item regardless how awesome it looks, is worth that amount of money, if ppl are spending that much then they are really stupid beyond help, whether you have the disposable cash or not.

I got 4 gold in as many hours yesterday, so farming it is surely possible if you have time but most people will actually try to get it the intended way instead of buying it for 300 gold, you put 4 lvl 68+ rare or exotic greatswords in the mystic forge and hope for luck.

The reason they are so expensive is that they are rather rare and something you need for Twilight or Sunrise, 2 legendary weapons and frankly is getting the blade far from the hardest thing you need to do to get a legendary weapon.

I never heard of anyone actually trading gems to buy dusk or dawn, it is possible that someone is that rich and lazy but I doubt that person would bother doing the harder stuff.

Getting a legendary weapon is rather insane, I havnt even done my 100% exploration yet myself and I played a lot and it is the easiest part. Still I want Twilight bad. :D

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    There are so many other short comings with GW2 but for some reason people are hung up on gear progression.
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

I think the system is fine really. It's not THAT easy to get full exotics, and unlike other games, the focus is almost never on gear in PvE.

I was running a few dungeons last night in full green ("masterwork") gear, which is 2 "tiers" of rarity under exotic (the highest stat-gear) and was constantly out-surviving and out-DPSing my companions who had full exotics. I was just doing a run to test a new build before I commit to getting expensive armor for it, but I proved something else in the mean-while. 

I'd rather it be: 

You spend more time in-game == you get to look cool

rather then:

You spend more time in-game == you get over-powering stats which negate any requirement of gaming skill

This imo leads to anyone at lvl 80 being able to attempt anything. If you were in a gear-progression game, you'd need to actually complete a tier of armor before you can attempt the next level of raids/dungeons. And if you weren't fast (or lucky) enough, you'd miss out on content you actually paid for.

And then there are all the little pricks who go "OMGZZZ my stats are 1% bettter so I am a GOD~!" or "Pffff you n00b, you don't have full Tier X, don't join our party", which happens in any PvE hard-progression game.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

Definetly!

I didn't quit because of cosmetic only. I definetly LOVED that part. It's awesome. No more fucking grinding, just enjoy the process. Problem for me was, nothing to enjoy.

- SPVP I'm not a fan of. I love watching, but I dont very much enjoy playing it. Its a work, a sport, not entertainment. That is of course if you want to achieve something, and SPVP is about achieving, about a goal, not the process.

- WVW was ruied by invisible enemies everywhere, night capping and queues. First ANET was "looking on fixing" with no real changes ever happening, second they thought is perfectly fine, and third they couldnt even fix the buggy part of it (zoning can put you back at the start of the queue) not to mention fixing other problems (like, free server transfers destroying best severs because everybody transfers there, etc)

- PVE Instanced was ruined by absence of an LFG system (not dungeon finder, i'm against that, but there must be a global lfg system that facilitates finding a group for a certain instance, the way lfg was done in the game was basically nonsense). Hard dungeons are great, but you couldnt enjoy them unless you're in a huge pve guild, which i was not (was in WvW guild)

- PVE outdoor was ruined by loot lockout and huge travel fees. Sure each location has that cool event you could do, but in order to know its going you have to travel there first, and then you may find out noone knows when it'll be going so you just wasted travel money. No timer system globally to know when, say, Hand of Jormunsomething will spawn meant you just couldnt really enjoy all those great outdoor bosses

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by gunmanvlad

I think the system is fine really. It's not THAT easy to get full exotics, and unlike other games, the focus is almost never on gear in PvE.

My mesmer had full exotic gear the moment I hit 80, I just bought them off the trading post.  I also had the sword skin I wanted and most of the armour already and it didn't take long after that to get the rest of the set so I soon had the best stats I could get and the best armour skins I could get.  After that I lost interest in the game.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Gear progression means:

No-lifers get an advantage over others.

That's basically what the gear rat race is: the person with the most spare time wins.

The only people advocating gear progression are those no-lifers who want to feel superior to others purely as a result of being able to spend more time playing a video game.

Sorry kids, equal gear, upgrade your player skill, not your toon's stats.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by zimboy69

considering  based on gold  and gems  some armor is  £100  nothing ive seen  is worth  £10

i could for that sort of money go to a local amoury  and get a sword made  and  have  a physical  metal sword

ive not even seen  anything in the game that makes me want to pay £10

Since there is no legal way to convert in game gold to real world money, in fact the items have no monetary value.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Deivos

In general I prefer a form of simulation over blatantly virtual functions.

I do not mean emulation here. A game does not need to match real life to work, but it should draw some funadamental mechanics that make sense.

Gear is overall a great example for this, and why I even mention it at all. In reality gear does not grant us anything, it rebalances us. I much prefer situations where a piece of gear can push a particular design, rather than just boosting their stats.

It convolutes things a bit more this way, but it serves an end that I generally see as more functional. People can hone in stats with metagaming, but they aren't treadmilling to actually obtain bigger stats, just more refined stats.

Which I guess goes far in saying that I value stat balance in a sense. It seems in a large part lost in GW@, but they have a somewhat similar mechanic in place. There isn't a major disparity between stat insreases in items, but they all group the stats you elect to focus on in order to tailor your character on more than just a cosmetic level. With four main stats and then the ancillary ones, with three stats (one often ancillary or second tier so not core stat), it forces the player to pick where they are going to place their focus on or sacrifice just like anywhere else.

The only thing that stands to be complained about is the inability to place one's character above anyone else by obtaining something notably superior.

Which for some that is the game, and one's that don't cater to that aren't going to please such a player.

In general I cast my vote for balanced stats. It's just what I prefer. However, I also feel there needs to be more apparent effects on the differences in stat balance from a play side of things. Enough disparity between changing stats that it really generates a strong and apparent differentiation in how a character interacts and uses a character.

Not some quirk where a person with high reflex or a brain fueled energy shield is effectively another version of a tank. It defeats the purpose of differences in stats and design. It can be there, but they need to have their clear caveats and differences.

EDIT: Short answer, no I would not play a solely cosmetic driven game.

Neither would I play a game focused on stat progression.

For me, both concepts miss the mark.

Refinement and specialization are more what I prefer. A balanced net total that is highly malleable for custimization.

Runes and glyphs coupled with traits acutally can change classes considerably, the problem is that atm having several sets is expensive.

Doing a dungeon with level 80 properly geared and runed is a world of difference to lower level characters with blue and green items.

The problem is that the game favour hybrid builds, capable of doing several things and adapt on the fly versus specialized builds that you see in most other games.

Sacrificing that extra 15% damage for some toughness will mean the uptime will be higher and you'll actually deal more damage. (ability to see the mob tells and time dodges allows for more damage over defense).

In some cases your class is so much better at support that you sacrifice defense and/or damage for ihe extra support, allowing more offensive minded classes to focus a bit more in damage.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    Originally posted by gunmanvlad

My mesmer had full exotic gear the moment I hit 80, I just bought them off the trading post.  I also had the sword skin I wanted and most of the armour already and it didn't take long after that to get the rest of the set so I soon had the best stats I could get and the best armour skins I could get.  After that I lost interest in the game.

I had ful lexotics within 3 days and although I don't have all the cosmetics I want, I don't really need to cause there is no need.  Alas this is the problem in a cosmetic system.

I also agree with the poster who said there should be some form of realm ranks, if at the very least you do nto do stat progression you need to do skill progression.  This is my opinion though.  As it stands, I'll never get a legendary so nothing progression related remains for me which means I will only play when new content is released which further detracts from wanting to play in a world instead of play in a game.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

Actually, I thought that was one of the good things about it. Its diminishing returns has nothing to do with cosmetic only gear for me, it has more to do with its generally lack of any point in playing it long term. It looked lovely but the game has bugger-all drive other than exploration. Once you've done that, it runs out of steam. The lore is ankle-deep and unimportant. The public events are repetitive and uninspired. The class storylines are largely silly or woeful. Everything is handed to you on a silver platter without having to try. Hats off to them for at least trying to do something newish and innovative, it's miles better than most of the MMOs in the last 5 years but they dropped the ball in understanding what keeps people playing games.     

• neve1272neve1272 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

Can´t we have both?

this ..i would love this

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Cosmetic gear progression is exactly what I want. If anything, GW 2 still has too much gear grind. Or at least you have to do too much grinding for gold and karma to afford a full set of exotics regardless of appearance. What the game is missing is 1) fun and 2) alternative advancement at level cap. They could easily fix 2) and partially fix 1) by adding the equivalent of DAOC's realm abilities. (I haven't actually quit the game yet but my playing time is much less than it was even a few weeks ago since I hit 80.)

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer