Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple Poll : Are you for or against item decay?

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Sooooo....Really simple.  Will you support SWG style item decay (aka they friggin break) or will you go against it?  ]

Edit :

Well in terms of getting gear, I was thinking more along the lines of SWG style where you craft them and they break after a while. 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I didn't play SWG, but I'd be against it unless it's a pure crafting game that needs it to promote continued crafting.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

If a fully geared out set takes less than a few hours to get I have no issues with it.

EDIT:  Really people already do this with LoL and similar MOBAs.   Items decay in less than an hour.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

I think DAoC had it right.   Item decay (greater depending on how much higher the item was than your level) but allowing you to repair it.. but repairing lowers durability and eventually your item would be unrepairable.

Preferably with player professions able to do the repairs though.... the higher the skill of the player the greater the success and the lower the durability hit.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Decay through use adds realism.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    I like it because I like crafters having a role in the game economy. In my ideal game it exisit therefore I voted yes but I can also imagine games where I wouldn't want it. Than again I probably wouldn't be playing those games so it ain't an issue image
  • Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I think DAoC had it right.   Item decay (greater depending on how much higher the item was than your level) but allowing you to repair it.. but repairing lowers durability and eventually your item would be unrepairable.

Preferably with player professions able to do the repairs though.... the higher the skill of the player the greater the success and the lower the durability hit.

This.

In a crafting based economy where player created items are superior to those found in the world, to promote continued crafting, item decay needs to happen.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Swollen_Beef

This.

In a crafting based economy where player created items are superior to those found in the world, to promote continued crafting, item decay needs to happen.

image couldn't put it better myself

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    It depends on what else is in the game.  And it depends greatly on how difficult it is to get gear.  If a game has a heavy emphasis on crafted, and your gear that breaks is craftable and not that hard to replace, then go ahead and let it break to create more demand for crafted goods.  If you had to kill a boss a bunch of times to get the drop you want, it better not then break and make you go back and kill the same boss a bunch more times.
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Quizzical
      If you had to kill a boss a bunch of times to get the drop you want, it better not then break and make you go back and kill the same boss a bunch more times.

I certainly understand that logic but I question if it's really that bad. The retention factor in most games where you need kill a boss repeatedly for a bit of gear is the fact that you want the gear and so you go about the process or acquiring it. Therefore wouldn't it make sense that you continually have something to acquire or reacquire? I understand that a shiner bit of more powerful gear is favourable but that ain't always an option. Personally I don't like the whole carrot on the end of the extremely long, boring and repetitive stick so forgive me if I'm way off base.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Im for it.

But I'd prefer to have only crafters skilled with in that particular profession to be able to restore/repair the items decay level.

So as an example, swordsmith can repair the decay for a sword. But I'd like to see a more dynamic repair formula.

The higher level the item the more materials required, the higher level the crafter the less materials required.

This way all skill levels in that profession, starting at level one, can repair the sword, but it become prohibitvly more expensive, but not impossible. This way a high level swordsmith cant price gouge players because ultinately its balanced by what a lower level swordsmith can repair/resore it for.

Crafting shouldnt be just about building/making items. Traving blacksmiths - ferriers, were more so about fixing things then they were about making them.

All crafting should be in demand. Then that makes resources in demand. Which then makes adventuring to earn money in demand, so they can keep their weapons from decaying. And so one supports the other and the "circle" stay unbroken.

Its one reason why EVEs ecnomy is so robust and good, and say WoWs is subpar and blows.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I am not for it at all.

I'd rather a company go the route disenchanting unwanted items to keep the economy in check.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    so for ro agains durabillity? Correct me if im wrong but isnt durabillity in EVERY MMORPG? Havent heard anyone complain about it. Its actually a natural thing...adds a hint of semi realism to the game i guess...things dont last forever you know...
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    It depends on many things, but my default position is "no" since it is a money sink, nothing more and re-acquiring gear creates another time sink.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Arcondo87
    so for ro agains durabillity? Correct me if im wrong but isnt durabillity in EVERY MMORPG? Havent heard anyone complain about it. Its actually a natural thing...adds a hint of semi realism to the game i guess...things dont last forever you know...

It's not the same. One thing is beeing able to repair your items, and another thing is beeing able to repair your items to a certain extent becouse eventually there will be no way to fix it and you will have to get a new one.

Item decay is about that. Eventually you will need a new item becouse you won't be able to fix your present one.

Edit: typos.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by gordiflu

Item decay is about that. Eventually you will need a new item becouse you won't be able to fix your present one.

You don't find that item decay makes it feel like you are being punished for actually playing?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

The question is all wrong. No one "wants" item decay, it is just a solution to problems with game and crafting economies. Many new gamers will not even know what you are going on about OP.

I would only be in favour if a "crafting better than drops" system did not work. If it was the only solution to the non-functioning MMO economies of today then yes I would sign up to it.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

I'm for games systems / features that work together and fit the overall concept & design philosophy of the game, and against systems and features being thrown in without regard to whether they make sense in the context, as part of a box-ticking exercise, because some vocal clique on the forums demanded them or because popular game x also had them.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by dustyhayes
    Originally posted by Swollen_Beef

This.

image couldn't put it better myself

The System overall was ok. But in DAoC a usual weapon broke not in a very long time.. i guess 2-3+ years, depending on use. But that number or item decay overall depends on the system behind. In a WoW like system, where crafting is useless anyway and all weapons come from raids decay dont have a big point. But in a game where economy rules, and almost all weapons come from crafting a decay from over 2 years is seriously to long.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    For me, it depends entirely on the surrounding gameplay and item accessibility.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

For item decay but in a game where all armor and items are from crafters and monsters only drop money and materials and without bop drops or soulbound items.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

IF rest of game is build with that in mind. Like player made economy, gear coming mostly from crafters and so on then yes.

Putting this in instance gear grinder game like WoW, Rift or Lotro(now)  would not be good idea.

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

Item decay itself wouldn't have made SWG's what it was.

You also need the variable stats on items, and also the variables in harvesting/crafting which greatly altered market position. That harvesting system was GREAT. You had to go out and hunt for spots and plant down harvesters.

Crafting is really lame in every other game in comparison. Not even worth it anymore.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I am for but not for legendary weapons/equipment. However they should drop on death so they are passed around rather than staying on the same character forever.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Baseline

Item decay itself wouldn't have made SWG's what it was.

You also need the variable stats on items, and also the variables in harvesting/crafting which greatly altered market position. That harvesting system was GREAT. You had to go out and hunt for spots and plant down harvesters.

Crafting is really lame in every other game in comparison. Not even worth it anymore.

Even EVE's?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Castillle

Sooooo....Really simple.  Will you support SWG style item decay (aka they friggin break) or will you go against it? 

Has anyone proposed it?

Breakage.  The Argument from 1994, for me...heh.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.