Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cyberpunk MMO?

C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Lately, we've been treated to a plethora of fantasy MMOs. To be honest, there's no point in even listing them as they're pretty much the staple of most RPGs in general.  Why haven't we seen a legitimate attempt at cyberpunk in an MMO? Games like Deus Ex and Cyberpunk are rich with lore and character progression in unique ways. How come we haven't seen something similar?

*Note: I am not suggesting Deus Ex or Cyberpunk be transformed into an MMO. Those are merely examples.

Thoughts, ideas?

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    There are Cyberpunk MMOs. Like Neocron and Face of Mankind for example. Why not more? There isn't enough interest and it a theme that isn't popular today like it was in early 2000. Everything is zombies now.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Ahh if only a good Shadowrun game could be made.
  • cagarcagar Member Posts: 98

I was about to say there are a few, but after reading your post again and seeing legitimate attempt, I came to the conclusion you are correct.

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

I had never heard of those games. That's pretty neat!

But yes, I was speaking specifically in the AAA realm of MMOs. Is it really the lack of interest? Last I recall Deus Ex sold pretty successfully.

• KoukikidKoukikid Member Posts: 28

Have you checked out Otherland yet? Based off of the novels of Tad Williams

Unfortunately it is published by Gamingo so kinda have to wait and see how it plays out.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    If done by a AAA company a Cyberpunk MMO would be amazing, yes there is faceof Mankind and Neocron, but  neither of those are even close to being an AAA level MMO and the masses have never even heard of either of these, meaning they had crap for advertisement. Steampunk and Cyberpunk definitly have enough interest and yet companys with money arnt willing to risk it, thus the issue with most games these days, they wont take a big gamble for big reward, they'd rather make no gamble, for little reward.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238
    Originally posted by Koukikid

Have you checked out Otherland yet? Based off of the novels of Tad Williams

Unfortunately it is published by Gamingo so kinda have to wait and see how it plays out.

That looks alright. Unfortunately, I've never heard of Gamingo - and reasearch did't make me feel any better about the game.