Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

David Braben is kickstarting a new multiplayer Elite sequel

wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Title taken word for word from Massively.com - read all about it there

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/06/david-braben-is-kickstarting-a-new-multiplayer-elite-sequel/

Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

“Elite” has gone down in history as one of the most successful games of the 1980s. It was the first ‘open world’ game in which the player can freely roam a vast space.

HUGE influence on the popular MMORPG EVE online, I'm sure, and for those who actually played it during the 80's - unforgettable.

Comments

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    My prayers have finally been answered I would of settled for an official reskinned update of Frontier 2 or First Encounters, but a full blown online sequel even more awesome imageimageimage
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

One of the all-time greatest games is finally getting an update/remake.

EVE Online isn't even close to Elite potential, if done right, and we have all the reasons to believe it will be done right, because original author is doing the remake.

YES!!!!

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I never did get past 'deadly' status. Unfinished business.
  • TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhnnn!!!!

Now this is going to make for a very interesting situation for fans of not just Elite but the whole space sim MMO niche.

I loved Elite & Frontier back in the day and never thought that they would make the leap to MMO once Eve Online appeared. Now we have the prospect of Elite: Dangerous going up against Star Citizen. Some of us may be drooling at the prospect of having these titles come along.

Mmm, for kickstart enthusiasts this will add a little bit of spice if you've already dropped some cash on Star Citizen.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    I started a thread about this earlier.  I'm still amazed how much people pour in without a video, and just a logo for media.  Wow!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121

Most of the die hard fans will have pledged by now, even Chris Roberts has.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

About bloody time..

I have been wanting a reskin or a true Elite Upgrade since the 80's..  I loved the feeling of unlimited space.. I truely explored the galaxy as I saw fit.. I played it as a trader mostly, but did tangle with some priates at times.. and sometimes I was the pirate and faced the consequences..  If they can't make it a true MMO, it would be great to see it come out as a console game, with PC version..

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by wizyy

EVE Online isn't even close to Elite potential, if done right, and we have all the reasons to believe it will be done right, because original author is doing the remake.

YES!!!!

blasphemy!, Elite and those other traditional space sims are just about being an effing bounty hunter, EVE has a whole group of several potential professions, you cant compare a tactical space sim with almost 4X mechanics with a traditional pew pew  and frigates space sim .

Originally posted by xaritscin

YES!!!!

blasphemy!, Elite and those other traditional space sims are just about being an effing bounty hunter, EVE has a whole group of several potential professions, you cant compare a tactical space sim with almost 4X mechanics with a traditional pew pew  and frigates space sim .

My question I have tho..  In EVE can a player be 99% safe from PvP?  and can you relatively play the game without being forced into a guild?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You can be all sorts in elite
    Pirate, drug smuggler, trader etc..
    Originally posted by Rydeson

YES!!!!

My question I have tho..  In EVE can a player be 99% safe from PvP?  and can you relatively play the game without being forced into a guild?

it can, as long as he knows how to avoid those players. as for solo playing, its possible, but it takes time, EVE wasnt designed for solo players. (and even people like to do solo mining, solo ratting, and solo other type of things). so yeah its possible.

but the point is that one cant compare EVE with Elite, Elite has mining and manufacture? no, has planet and moon  interaction? (building things on a planet and extracting resources, extracting resources from moons), has player combat in big ships? no, Elite and its sequel are the typical space sim, flying with little ships (basically frigate PvE) getting missions and kiling pirates,trading loot and cargo but nothing else (except, landing on planets but you cant do much more), even Evochron Mercenary has more features, this is a correct comparing . EVE is more like a single player 4X space game (except the fact that empires are built by several players).

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121

YES!!!!

it can, as long as he knows how to avoid those players. as for solo playing, its possible, but it takes time, EVE wasnt designed for solo players. (and even people like to do solo mining, solo ratting, and solo other type of things). so yeah its possible.

but the point is that one cant compare EVE with Elite, Elite has mining and manufacture? no, has planet and moon  interaction? (building things on a planet and extracting resources, extracting resources from moons), has player combat in big ships? no, Elite and its sequel are the typical space sim, flying with little ships (basically frigate PvE) getting missions and kiling pirates,trading loot and cargo but nothing else (except, landing on planets but you cant do much more), even Evochron Mercenary has more features, this is a correct comparing . EVE is more like a single player 4X space game (except the fact that empires are built by several players).

Elite and Frontier weren't typical space sims in their day. Original was more like it.

If the new Elite game and Star Citizen can offer meaningful gameplay to solo players as well as a multiplayer experience (which both propose) they'll make a lot of space sim fans very happy.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

That's somewhat harsh on a game almost 30 years old. It's pretty clear to see that Eve has very strong roots in Elite (1984), particularly Frontier: Elite II (1993). Frontier did have mining and large vessels, multiple & open career paths, and an absolutely massive play area literarly the size of the Milky Way due to procedural techniques that gave a depth never before seen, and until Eve came along, not bettered. As for Evechron Mercenary, you have to remember that when the original Elite came out games were little better than 8 bit Pacman/Galaxian/Defender/Asteroid clones. All of this ran on hardware with much less power and memory of mobile phones a decade ago and designed to fit onto a single floppy disk.

If Elite:Dangerous can capture the magic of previous Elite games in a MMO framework then Eve might lose a few customers.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by crack_fox
    I never did get past 'deadly' status. Unfinished business.

Yeah I only managed to get to Elite status on the original Elite: Plus myself.

On Frontier and First Encounter it is very hard to get into that many fights to get Elite status (unless you are that delicated, lol :P)

YES!!!!

Considering that I'm sure even the EVE makers themselves are probably crazed fans of Elite, I think what you are saying is a lot more blasphemous to them as you are basically pissing on a game that SINGLEHANDEDLY created the genre and on which, EVE evolved from.

4X genre: Elite -> Frontier -> X Series -> EVE

Space-shooter genre: Elite -> X-Wing vs Tie Fighter -> Wing Commander -> Privateer -> whatever comes after

You can even lookup this very chart I've mentioned above online if you Google for it. It was articled in PC Gamer/Powerplay only back in 2010.

Everything starts with Elite. You are like basically pissing on Adam and Eve of the genre by saying it is crap and not innovative compared to Eve, which comes more than 20 YEARS after elite first appeared, lol

I"ve played EVE and I didn't last more then the 10 day free trial..   Without any type of new player guide I was lost.. Add in the struggle to solo as a new player, it just wasn't friendly enough to stay past the free trial..  Shame too, cause when I played elite on my Commodore system in the 80's... I could play for hours and hours, in a day and never get bored exploring what I found.. I just hope that Elite sequal plays more like the orginal game, not not like some online PvP co-op version.. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

I like to think of myself as hardcore, but the sequel to Elite featured real physics in space fights, let’s not have a MMO based on that please! :D

"There they are, get the lasers ready, prime those missiles!.....<Pirate ships fly past at a speed far to fast to engage>....."Break! Stop all Engines!"

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    It wont be an MMO and hence not interesting (to me).
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
         I"ve played EVE and I didn't last more then the 10 day free trial..   Without any type of new player guide I was lost.. Add in the struggle to solo as a new player, it just wasn't friendly enough to stay past the free trial..  Shame too, cause when I played elite on my Commodore system in the 80's... I could play for hours and hours, in a day and never get bored exploring what I found.. I just hope that Elite sequal plays more like the orginal game, not not like some online PvP co-op version.. 

Did you try the Industrial Sized Knowledgebase guide? It's fairly comprehensive and has excellent production values.

http://www.isktheguide.com/

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Scot

I like to think of myself as hardcore, but the sequel to Elite featured real physics in space fights, let’s not have a MMO based on that please! :D

"There they are, get the lasers ready, prime those missiles!.........."Break! Stop all Engines!"

I guess this is where I mention Vendetta Online: the twitch-based, spaceflight, no-dice-rolling MMORPG featuring playable Newtonian Mechanics that includes open-world PvP, Guild vs Guild incentives, station conquest, manufacturable items involving supply-chains, mineral prospecting and mining, a dynamic market, race tubes, player-run events, player-contributed content, integrated voice-chat, and multiplatform support across mobile Android and Windows RT devices together with traditional Linux/Mac/PC desktops, in a single galaxy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLPwWxjVRM&list=UU-iwbAmJjb4bQCchJJPQf_w

To get past the issue of relative velocity, the devs wisely implemented a top speed specific to various craft that can be exceeded in certain situations.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh I disagree Scot

It wouldn't be elite without the newtonian physics of frontier.

That said I would also like a more arcade combat space game too, freespace 2 being the best if that genre.

I never got into the x series. It added too much for me with all the factories and multiple ships in your fleet etc.. it lost the edge of elite with your single pilot in your single small ship. Elite had more danger. Elite made you feel like han solo or mal Reynolds, x made you feel like donald trump
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

YES!!!!

Considering that I'm sure even the EVE makers themselves are probably crazed fans of Elite, I think what you are saying is a lot more blasphemous to them as you are basically pissing on a game that SINGLEHANDEDLY created the genre and on which, EVE evolved from.

4X genre: Elite -> Frontier -> X Series -> EVE

Space-shooter genre: Elite -> X-Wing vs Tie Fighter -> Wing Commander -> Privateer -> whatever comes after

You can even lookup this very chart I've mentioned above online if you Google for it. It was articled in PC Gamer/Powerplay only back in 2010.

Everything starts with Elite. You are like basically pissing on Adam and Eve of the genre by saying it is crap and not innovative compared to Eve, which comes more than 20 YEARS after elite first appeared, lol

i must apologize for that, but i never played it, nor i had researched enough about it (wikipedia wasnt a good source the first time i heard about the game). and i'm even surprised that even from that age mining still is a boring profession with bad incomes.

i must apologize for that, but i never played it, nor i had researched enough about it (wikipedia wasnt a good source the first time i heard about the game). and i'm even surprised that even from that age mining still is a boring profession with bad incomes.

That's okay :) I guess the newer generation probably haven't heard of Elite. However it is where it all began. It is actually name one of the 16 most influential games of all time (a game that started it all, just like Ultima and Tetris).

Mining has always sucked lol in space games because it is an economy-of-scale industry, in most games (even in SWG it is) - it is because you need to be able to produce a lot of it to make a good profit since the margin is not big, so unless you have built for scale you won't really make much and it probably won't be enjoyable regardless.

Smuggling is always most profitable of trading in most space games (because small quantity high margin ratio).

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh I disagree Scot

It wouldn't be elite without the newtonian physics of frontier.

That said I would also like a more arcade combat space game too, freespace 2 being the best if that genre.

I never got into the x series. It added too much for me with all the factories and multiple ships in your fleet etc.. it lost the edge of elite with your single pilot in your single small ship. Elite had more danger. Elite made you feel like han solo or mal Reynolds, x made you feel like donald trump

Newtonian physics actually wasn't the problem with Frontier/First Encounter combat - it is actually the fact that it confuses the point of reference for the player because of all the stars moving in the background.

In truth those stars moving in the background wasn't even necessary. You are basically moving in reference to the enemy ship anyways so the fact that they are showing how you move in relation to the planet (your background movement) is totally irrelevant to the combat.

If we remove the background the combat will really be no different than any other dogfight in any other space games (besides what weapons was used).

I think that's what's confusing to the player.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

That's okay :) I guess the newer generation probably haven't heard of Elite. However it is where it all began. It is actually name one of the 16 most influential games of all time (a game that started it all, just like Ultima and Tetris).

Mining has always sucked lol in space games because it is an economy-of-scale industry, in most games (even in SWG it is) - it is because you need to be able to produce a lot of it to make a good profit since the margin is not big, so unless you have built for scale you won't really make much and it probably won't be enjoyable regardless.

Smuggling is always most profitable of trading in most space games (because small quantity high margin ratio).

when i was searching for an space sim to play while out from EVE, i heard about it, but when i saw the article in wikipedia  the article didnt say nothing about how many ships you could have or what other activities where apart from fighting and trading.

i actually like mining, i have a Retriever (pre-Inferno fitted), in Evochron i was a miner too, it would be cool if the mining lasers could just destroy de asteroid slowly and then one could use the tractor to put them in the bay. or use drones which recover the rocks.

it gives realism, but again, i dunno how would this affect the market.  AKF mining cannot be avoided also, people always get ways to do it.

but i would like to have a whole fleet of mining ships which devour asteroids. maybe not for commerce but for manufacturing my own ones.

i think a good space sim should let you design your own ship with its own modules and put the price depending on them (Shores of Hazeron does this already, but ship construction is made in planet based factories, i mean, building an space shipyard and manufacture the ships there).