Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was hoping this would be the last mmo I ever paid to play.

2»

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    It's a console game wrapped in an MMO box.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Serelisk
    Originally posted by Karteli

Maybe if fans/shills would acknowledge that GW2 is highly anti-social, these posted would be a little different?

Case and point: ^This^

I'm a fan of the game and I should now acknowledge the 'fact' that is game is highly antisocial when everything I've experienced in the game has brought me to believe otherwise? 

I have a character in the game named "Plant", too. I guess I fit into both categories for people who can't see the grand truth. /endsarcasm 

There's no point.

Given his past posts, he seems to be of the crowd that believe that games should force people to talk to one another. If a game doesn't actively force players to talk to each other, then they consider it 'anti-social'.

The problem with this belief is that in order for something to be anti-social, it has to actively be avoiding or discouraging social interaction. GW2 doesn't have a single feature (that I can think of) that discourages players from interacting. Furthermore, I can think of at least a couple features GW2 has that mostly requires you talk to other players.

More to the point, people like Karteli seem to be under the assumption that if they talk to someone else, that person should always reply back to them. This leads me to believe that they probably don't have the best social skills, and may need to spend some time in the real world interacting with people directly.

Heck, even just this morning I hopped on GW2 for a bit, and had a few lengthy discussions with random players talking in /map chat. I don't go around randomly /bow-ing to people and expecting them to acknowledge me, though. The world doesn't work that way.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper The whole game was made with that mind set. everyone is replacable, and therfore nobody feels particularly useful. 

Couldn't be any more on the money with that statement.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
    I'm a "world" pvper. I also stated that I don't care that much for instanced PVP. I like PVP to find me.. not the other way around. That was my fault for going into this thinking it wasn't going to be like that. 

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Nightgroper

I would like to shed a different perspective on the "anti-social" element of the game. I am very anti-social in MMOs, what am I doing playing MMOs? I don't know, god forbid an MMO just be a fun game, and maybe have a multiplayer aspect. So I don't like to talk a lot on MMOs, chat for some reason, on most of these games feels forced. Though I enjoy helping people in the games, thus I would try to play support roles, but it was always difficult for me to find a group, or just to help someone out in a field.

What I enjoy about GW2 is the no real party system, or atleast no kill stealing. I actually feel like I can help someone with a mob without getting yelled at afterwards, or worrying about the killing blow. In this way it feels more social to me than other MMOs, where I have to ask permission before hand to join a fight and help someone, where here I can just join in.

Now  after the fight, most will just say Ty, and leave, but I like to hold hope that maybe it will become a conversaion, and add someone to my friends list. Alright I'm done here, now.

You're doing well here for being anti-social ..  BTW I love the game your avatar represents .. amazing soundtrack too :-)

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper The whole game was made with that mind set. everyone is replacable, and therfore nobody feels particularly useful. 

Couldn't be any more on the money with that statement.

That's only true to a point.

Everyone is replacable by default, but good players do stand out. Unlike in past game you can't just pick the 1 crucial class that nobody wants to play, and automatically be everyone's best friend.

There are still players I try to play with regularly, and if they leave the group it makes it highly unlikely we can handle certain content or strategies in WvW. This is especially true when it comes to mesmers & guardians.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by aesperus

The problem with this belief is that in order for something to be anti-social, it has to actively be avoiding or discouraging social interaction. GW2 doesn't have a single feature (that I can think of) that discourages players from interacting. Furthermore, I can think of at least a couple features GW2 has that mostly requires you talk to other players.

WvW gives you no reason to organize or talk to anyone, it's zerg styled and all you have to do is follow the icon of the guy who bought gold. Not to mention the only thing up for grabs is "server pride" and for Anet, your gold, since WvW is a money sink and usually after the first day the match is already decided and you're only going in there to try to save yourself from boredom at that point.

No need for grouping for events or hearts, even if you just hit something once you get credit, encourages mindless zerging and lack of social activity. Nothing while leveling through GW2 requires the cooperation of two or more people, it requires you to just hit something someone else is hitting.

Hot-join SPvP, there's no drastic difference in rewards for winning or losing and no stats are saved on your character, therefore nobody cares, they join, they play, win or lose nobody cares nobody talks.

Lack of a trinity, you don't have a role, your only role is yourself, therefore nobody cares what happens and only you are accountable for your death. You're also easily replaceable and bring no specific value to a group.

Lack of any features at all which promote skilled individuals or guilds in the game outside of WvW, nobody knows who your guild is or what they do, yourself and your guild are just random cells in the entity that is GW2.

I could go on but ... I'm tired of typing.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

See you were confused how to play your class but let me give the truth... it is really that easy. Yeah, combat in GW2 is simplified to take on the concept of dodging adn being more active. Its really not complex at all. You aim for either condition damage or normal damage. Condition damage you focus on abilities that do that (given no cd on them) while normal damage will mostly be abilities that do straight damage.

Its actually so simplistic that it makes you think its more complex then it really is. They just make it really messy looking as if to make it seem more complex when it really isn't. Hopefully they clear it up for casuals so its easier for them so they aren't looking at it just puzzled at trying to understand things.

Maybe if fans/shills would acknowledge that GW2 is highly anti-social, these posted would be a little different?

I'm a fan of the game and I should now acknowledge the 'fact' that is game is highly antisocial when everything I've experienced in the game has brought me to believe otherwise? 

I have a character in the game named "Plant", too. I guess I fit into both categories for people who can't see the grand truth. /endsarcasm 

There's no point.

Given his past posts, he seems to be of the crowd that believe that games should force people to talk to one another. If a game doesn't actively force players to talk to each other, then they consider it 'anti-social'.

More to the point, people like Karteli seem to be under the assumption that if they talk to someone else, that person should always reply back to them. This leads me to believe that they probably don't have the best social skills, and may need to spend some time in the real world interacting with people directly.

Heck, even just this morning I hopped on GW2 for a bit, and had a few lengthy discussions with random players talking in /map chat. I don't go around randomly /bow-ing to people and expecting them to acknowledge me, though. The world doesn't work that way.

I'm honored you would mention me!

Sweetheart, nobody is asking this game to force feed socialization.  It comes naturally.  GW2 does not provide this.  It's the game style, it's the social mechanisms.  If you can't see this, then I'm talking to a wall.

Nobody is avoiding social activity, but you really can't have the same social level as other MMORPG's when everything is scripted and auto group-formed.  You simple can't.  If you say you can, they you are lying.

Sure some alternatives can be met.  Conversations can be struck up after the action.  I did that, they were all meaningless -- more just ran away others just stood there (bots?).

I'm under the assumption that when I send a tell I expect a reply?  Well if I never get replies how can you call this game social?  Even if the other person /spit on me that would be social.  But since GW2 emotes are so shitty, even /spit doesn't work. [Emotes are so lacking in GW2, even /smile doesn't work]

So getting repeatedly struck with no responses means I need to get into the real world?  No it means I need to find another MMORPG. (which many others already did apparently judging by the absense of players in the world)

If You are a real fan of this game, you should start caring about what others feel.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Purutzil

See you were confused how to play your class but let me give the truth... it is really that easy. Yeah, combat in GW2 is simplified to take on the concept of dodging adn being more active. Its really not complex at all. You aim for either condition damage or normal damage. Condition damage you focus on abilities that do that (given no cd on them) while normal damage will mostly be abilities that do straight damage.

Its actually so simplistic that it makes you think its more complex then it really is. They just make it really messy looking as if to make it seem more complex when it really isn't. Hopefully they clear it up for casuals so its easier for them so they aren't looking at it just puzzled at trying to understand things.

So you're a top tournament PvPer to say that the game isn't complex? You can beat everyone in the game? Yeah that's what I taught...

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Your not alone, I now 4 other people besides myself that bought and were playing the game together, we have all since quit.  All for the same reason.  It was like whats the point of what Im doing.

Great multiplayer experience I just dont classify this game as an MMO anymore.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

There's no point.

You're spot on mate! I couldn't said it better myself haha

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Originally posted by raystantz

As of this writing, I'm back playing a trial for MOP. I haven't played WoW in over a year. Before, that it was TERA, and before that it was SWTOR. SWTOR lasted about 2 weeks, and TERA lasted almost the whole 30 days. I actually may revisit TERA, I'm also waiting for Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Anyway, I came to GW2 for the pvp. I'm a pvper. I'm not a good pvper, but its what I like to do, and put my goals around in MMO's. I thought I'd be able to that in GW2. I'm not going to draw this out, but I will go over what I like and what I don't like.

Likes: Graphics are great, animations are fluid, runs really well on my "OK" system. Music is decent even though they reused some GW1 music. The "hearts" are cool to start with, as as the dynamic events, and the little vistas and things you can do as side items.

Dislikes: Of the two classes I rolled, I felt like I was button mashing. I took the time to read the descriptions, but for me it was hard to decypher what the spell or action was actually doing. I wasn't sure what I should hit in what order? The combat seemed to be pretty much standard fare. The dynamic events are fun to start with, but I started getting annoyed seeing the same ones pop up over and over. The other thing was that even in those, it doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I can join in at the tail end, and not even hit the mob or only hit it once and still get credit. The other people who are doing the events don't speak, they just whack a mole away and then move on to the next event. Since this is what you'll spend most of your time doing.. its hard to get used to it. I feel like I'm playing a single player game.

Other: I said from the beginning that I'm a PVPer. I knew going into it that there was no world pvp, and that always had me troubled. I like to feel like I'm in danger out in the world, and I just don't get that without pvp in the world. I tried to queue for the battlegrounds, but it took me 5 minutes of running to even find someone to fight. I also did not care for the fact that I was at level cap. I don't know how to play my class at level 5 much less level 60 or 80. The whole pvp feature just wasn't doing it for me because I've never been a huge fan of instanced PVP.

I guess looking back, you get what you pay for? It's definitely a good game, its just not for everyone, and I don't think I'm one of the people who would like this game. Its primarily pve from what I can tell.

Isn't it amazing how every review these days referrs to this game as single player (more or less from the gist)?

ArenaNet could at least add some form of interactivity between players.  It's bad enough there isn't a /who command or /inspect.  Got the full map achievement? Nobody will ever know.  Hence why it's a single player game.

Emotes might help.

There are emotes.

If somebody gets 100% map completition they get a Star next to their name so everyone can see their accomplishment.

Anything else?

And what does looking at somebody's armor has to do with socializing?

It's social to me.  I like to observe.  Observations are highly social.

I want to see the exact names of every item + how they are enhanced.  It's not the social you might expect .. but GW2's version is going with glasses that are the wrong perscription.  You can see what is being worn, but you can't see the details.

It's non-interactive, and not very conducive to conversation, despite what fans say.

Oh, now I get it! You don't consider SPEAKING with somebody to show you his armor socializing.

You are playing an MMORPG.  You need to showw off your achievements.   MMORPG's are interactive.  GW2 is not.

I can't explain it much more than that.  There is no solid explanation as to exactly how to make a game social, but when you take player interactivity away and then defend it's absense & troll anyone who speaks up .... well ...

i totally agree with you on this buddy 

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437

There's no point.

Sweetheart, nobody is asking this game to force feed socialization.  It comes naturally.  GW2 does not provide this.  It's the game style, it's the social mechanisms.  If you can't see this, then I'm talking to a wall.

Nobody is avoiding social activity, but you really can't have the same social level as other MMORPG's when everything is scripted and auto group-formed.  You simple can't.  If you say you can, they you are lying.

Sure some alternatives can be met.  Conversations can be struck up after the action.  I did that, they were all meaningless -- more just ran away others just stood there (bots?).

I'm under the assumption that when I send a tell I expect a reply?  Well if I never get replies how can you call this game social?  Even if the other person /spit on me that would be social.  But since GW2 emotes are so shitty, even /spit doesn't work. [Emotes are so lacking in GW2, even /smile doesn't work]

So getting repeatedly struck with no responses means I need to get into the real world?  No it means I need to find another MMORPG. (which many others already did apparently judging by the absense of players in the world)

If You are a real fan of this game, you should start caring about what others feel.

Sorry..Karteli..but you are wrong... i've played many games with emotes that were just as anti-social if not more so... not to mention that in every game i play i never use emotes and even when ppl are being social.. i've never really seen others using emotes... if the only method of communication was emotes than what u say would make sense... but emotes cannot really express emotion or feelings.. they are very simple.. if you want talk with someone u have to whisper them or talk in /say... so it really doesn't matter... in the end everyone will be using the chat box... in guild wars.. they took out the middle man and left u the chat box.. there is nothing wrong with that... if ppl aren't interested in talking.. they aren't interested.. whether u use emotes or type in the chat... it doesn't matter.. they won't talk to you..

Originally posted by Neo_Liberty

There's no point.

Sorry..Karteli..but you are wrong... i've played many games with emotes that were just as anti-social if not more so... not to mention that in every game i play i never use emotes and even when ppl are being social.. i've never really seen others using emotes... if the only method of communication was emotes than what u say would make sense... but emotes cannot really express emotion or feelings.. they are very simple.. if you want talk with someone u have to whisper them or talk in /say... so it really doesn't matter... in the end everyone will be using the chat box... in guild wars.. they took out the middle man and left u the chat box.. there is nothing wrong with that... if ppl aren't interested in talking.. they aren't interested.. whether u use emotes or type in the chat... it doesn't matter.. they won't talk to you..

Well emotes only add to the experience for a game to be a social MMORPG experience.

Others might include:

/who

/inspect (not only for gear but for achievement compares)

/trade (with other players)

Those just a sample of what makes a game social (don't forget to add emotes).  Take them all away and it's a very dry experience.  Don't take my word for it though .. I'm just words, let this game die. :P

Those are just staples amongst MMORPGS.  Individual games add their own.  GW2 doesn't have much to offer :=(

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Please then, tell me how my guildie was able to mop the floor with 7+ people in WvW

Don't worry about trying to explain how simple the setup is, he covered that for everyone in the GW2 forums. And yet, still, people claim he's hacking for being able to do this even though they know exactly what it is he's using, and they watched a video of him executing it... 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

classic post. Yeah combo fields seemd to have thrown them for a loop...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • casual187casual187 Member Posts: 32

Please then, tell me how my guildie was able to mop the floor with 7+ people in WvW

Don't worry about trying to explain how simple the setup is, he covered that for everyone in the GW2 forums. And yet, still, people claim he's hacking for being able to do this even though they know exactly what it is he's using, and they watched a video of him executing it... 

Screenshot or it didnt happen. image

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You guildie is epic. No question about that. I bet he's a 5 time WoW glad and diamond SCII and top rank w/e LoL. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty

There's no point.

Well emotes only add to the experience for a game to be a social MMORPG experience.

Others might include:

/who

/inspect (not only for gear but for achievement compares)

/trade (with other players)

Those just a sample of what makes a game social (don't forget to add emotes).  Take them all away and it's a very dry experience.  Don't take my word for it though .. I'm just words, let this game die. :P

Those are just staples amongst MMORPGS.  Individual games add their own.  GW2 doesn't have much to offer :=(

i don't disagree that those things add to a game.... what i disagree with is the fact that the lack of those things causes a game to be anti-social..A games community determines how social the game is. even with all of those tools.. if ppl choose not to use them.. just like they choose not to use the chat box... its pointless to have them.... everything is determined by the ppl playing.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i accepted a guild invite when i started playing GW2. i have not as much talked in guild chat as of yet, and i could probably count on both my hands the times i've seen people talking in guild chat. nobody needs anyone, and everyone is just "doing their thing". the whole game was made with that mind set. everyone is replacable, and therfore nobody feels particularly useful.  

I'm still playing GW2 and somewhat enjoying it for what it is.  What it IS, however, is much less than what I thought it would be.  The quoted bit above is a scathing, but relatable, comment on the social aspect as I see it as well.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by just1opinion

i accepted a guild invite when i started playing GW2. i have not as much talked in guild chat as of yet, and i could probably count on both my hands the times i've seen people talking in guild chat. nobody needs anyone, and everyone is just "doing their thing". the whole game was made with that mind set. everyone is replacable, and therfore nobody feels particularly useful.  

I'm still playing GW2 and somewhat enjoying it for what it is.  What it IS, however, is much less than what I thought it would be.  The quoted bit above is a scathing, but relatable, comment on the social aspect as I see it as well.

You know what, social people never had a problem getting a conversation going with a stranger. Why do you seem to want the game to "force" you to interact with other people? The problem is not with the game, but with people who are simply asocial or not willing to take the initiative as often as it takes.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by just1opinion

You know what, social people never had a problem getting a conversation going with a stranger. Why do you seem to want the game to "force" you to interact with other people? The problem is not with the game, but with people who are simply asocial or not willing to take the initiative as often as it takes.

I was really referring to the "nobody needs anybody," and "everyone is replaceable" comments.  This has more to do with the end of the trinity, imho, than it does with people being anti or asocial.  I talk to people in game, BUT.....it's not as natural a thing to do as it has been in past MMOs because it's not NECESSARY.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club