Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was hoping this would be the last mmo I ever paid to play.

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

As of this writing, I'm back playing a trial for MOP. I haven't played WoW in over a year. Before, that it was TERA, and before that it was SWTOR. SWTOR lasted about 2 weeks, and TERA lasted almost the whole 30 days. I actually may revisit TERA, I'm also waiting for Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Anyway, I came to GW2 for the pvp. I'm a pvper. I'm not a good pvper, but its what I like to do, and put my goals around in MMO's. I thought I'd be able to that in GW2. I'm not going to draw this out, but I will go over what I like and what I don't like.

Likes: Graphics are great, animations are fluid, runs really well on my "OK" system. Music is decent even though they reused some GW1 music. The "hearts" are cool to start with, as as the dynamic events, and the little vistas and things you can do as side items.

Dislikes: Of the two classes I rolled, I felt like I was button mashing. I took the time to read the descriptions, but for me it was hard to decypher what the spell or action was actually doing. I wasn't sure what I should hit in what order? The combat seemed to be pretty much standard fare. The dynamic events are fun to start with, but I started getting annoyed seeing the same ones pop up over and over. The other thing was that even in those, it doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I can join in at the tail end, and not even hit the mob or only hit it once and still get credit. The other people who are doing the events don't speak, they just whack a mole away and then move on to the next event. Since this is what you'll spend most of your time doing.. its hard to get used to it. I feel like I'm playing a single player game.

Other: I said from the beginning that I'm a PVPer. I knew going into it that there was no world pvp, and that always had me troubled. I like to feel like I'm in danger out in the world, and I just don't get that without pvp in the world. I tried to queue for the battlegrounds, but it took me 5 minutes of running to even find someone to fight. I also did not care for the fact that I was at level cap. I don't know how to play my class at level 5 much less level 60 or 80. The whole pvp feature just wasn't doing it for me because I've never been a huge fan of instanced PVP.

I guess looking back, you get what you pay for? It's definitely a good game, its just not for everyone, and I don't think I'm one of the people who would like this game. Its primarily pve from what I can tell.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by raystantz

As of this writing, I'm back playing a trial for MOP. I haven't played WoW in over a year. Before, that it was TERA, and before that it was SWTOR. SWTOR lasted about 2 weeks, and TERA lasted almost the whole 30 days. I actually may revisit TERA, I'm also waiting for Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Anyway, I came to GW2 for the pvp. I'm a pvper. I'm not a good pvper, but its what I like to do, and put my goals around in MMO's. I thought I'd be able to that in GW2. I'm not going to draw this out, but I will go over what I like and what I don't like.

Likes: Graphics are great, animations are fluid, runs really well on my "OK" system. Music is decent even though they reused some GW1 music. The "hearts" are cool to start with, as as the dynamic events, and the little vistas and things you can do as side items.

Dislikes: Of the two classes I rolled, I felt like I was button mashing. I took the time to read the descriptions, but for me it was hard to decypher what the spell or action was actually doing. I wasn't sure what I should hit in what order? The combat seemed to be pretty much standard fare. The dynamic events are fun to start with, but I started getting annoyed seeing the same ones pop up over and over. The other thing was that even in those, it doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I can join in at the tail end, and not even hit the mob or only hit it once and still get credit. The other people who are doing the events don't speak, they just whack a mole away and then move on to the next event. Since this is what you'll spend most of your time doing.. its hard to get used to it. I feel like I'm playing a single player game.

Other: I said from the beginning that I'm a PVPer. I knew going into it that there was no world pvp, and that always had me troubled. I like to feel like I'm in danger out in the world, and I just don't get that without pvp in the world. I tried to queue for the battlegrounds, but it took me 5 minutes of running to even find someone to fight. I also did not care for the fact that I was at level cap. I don't know how to play my class at level 5 much less level 60 or 80. The whole pvp feature just wasn't doing it for me because I've never been a huge fan of instanced PVP.

I guess looking back, you get what you pay for? It's definitely a good game, its just not for everyone, and I don't think I'm one of the people who would like this game. Its primarily pve from what I can tell.

Isn't it amazing how every review these days referrs to this game as single player (more or less from the gist)?

Maybe if fans/shills would acknowledge that GW2 is highly anti-social, these posted would be a little different?

ArenaNet could at least add some form of interactivity between players.  It's bad enough there isn't a /who command or /inspect.  Got the full map achievement? Nobody will ever know.  Hence why it's a single player game.  Everything done only matters to the player - it's not comparable to anyone else, EVER.

More than 10 emotes might help.  I mean, EverQuest launched with 100+ .. WoW also 100+.  I thought it was standard to have many emotes in an MMORPG.

/sigh to ArenaNet emotes are confrontational, along with inspects.  /who is considered stalking.  WTF.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Karteli

Isn't it amazing how every review these days referrs to this game as single player (more or less from the gist)?

Maybe if fans/shills would acknowledge that GW2 is highly anti-social, these posted would be a little different?

ArenaNet could at least add some form of interactivity between players.  It's bad enough there isn't a /who command or /inspect.  Got the full map achievement? Nobody will ever know.  Hence why it's a single player game.

Emotes might help.

There are emotes.

If somebody gets 100% map completition they get a Star next to their name so everyone can see their accomplishment.

Anything else?

And what does looking at somebody's armor has to do with socializing?

Originally posted by Zeus.CM

ArenaNet could at least add some form of interactivity between players.  It's bad enough there isn't a /who command or /inspect.  Got the full map achievement? Nobody will ever know.  Hence why it's a single player game.

Emotes might help.

There are emotes.

If somebody gets 100% map completition they get a Star next to their name so everyone can see their accomplishment.

Anything else?

It's social to me.  I like to observe.  Observations are highly social.

I want to see the exact names of every item + how they are enhanced.  It's not the social you might expect .. but GW2's version is going with glasses that are the wrong perscription.  You can see what is being worn, but you can't see the details when looking at other players.

It's non-interactive, and not very conducive to conversation, despite what fans say.

Emotes might help.

There are emotes.

Anything else?

Emotes: all 10 of them?

For map completion, really?  How about a comparative achievement function so players can see which ones others are missing and group up to get the mutually missing parts?

I couldn't care less about the star, personally.  I'd rather just group with someone in this dry game.

Emotes might help.

There are emotes.

Anything else?

I want to see the exact names of every item + how they are enhanced.  It's not the social you might expect .. but GW2's version is going with glasses that are the wrong perscription.  You can see what is being worn, but you can't see the details.

It's non-interactive, and not very conducive to conversation, despite what fans say.

Oh, now I get it! You don't consider SPEAKING with somebody to show you his armor socializing.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

Not having emotes was the least of my worries. The more I played, the less It felt like I was playing an MMO.

Almost felt the same as GW1 when you'd zone into a quest area with henchmen, except in GW2 you don't know when those henchmen are going to pop up.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Zeus, regardless if /who, /inspect, a guild on server list, actual stats, emblems and enemy names in WvW actually cause socialization or not, they add a community factor, they add purpose to you and to other players and enemies.

I got bored of doing everything in GW2 because i'm just a little spec of nothing being engorged in the amoeba of nothingness that is GW2s players.

There's no purpose to anything and your username/guild/outfit/character means almost nothing to everybody and even yourself after a while.

Emotes might help.

There are emotes.

Anything else?

I want to see the exact names of every item + how they are enhanced.  It's not the social you might expect .. but GW2's version is going with glasses that are the wrong perscription.  You can see what is being worn, but you can't see the details.

Oh, now I get it! You don't consider SPEAKING with somebody to show you his armor socializing.

You are playing an MMORPG.  You need to showw off your achievements.   MMORPG's are interactive.  GW2 is not.

I can't explain it much more than that.  There is no solid explanation as to exactly how to make a game social, but when you take player interactivity away and then defend it's absense & troll anyone who speaks up .... well ...

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Zeus, regardless if /who, /inspect, a guild on server list, actual stats, emblems and enemy names in WvW actually cause socialization or not, they add a community factor, they add purpose to you and to other players and enemies.

I got bored of doing everything in GW2 because i'm just a little spec of nothing being engorged in the amoeba of nothingness that is GW2s players.

There's no purpose to anything and your username/guild/outfit means almost nothing.

If Arenanet added some kind of PvE player ranking system and publish the best PvE players, for example by achievement points, and refresh it daily on website or ingame list, would that mean something to you?

I do understand that GW2 doesn't offer things that will make you stand out of the crowd except maybe Legendary weapons. I guess people need more things that other people can see how good PvE players they are. They seem not to care about talking to people for socializing, they just want to be recognized. Is that what this is about?

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63

ArenaNet could at least add some form of interactivity between players.  It's bad enough there isn't a /who command or /inspect.  Got the full map achievement? Nobody will ever know.  Hence why it's a single player game.  Everything done only matters to the player - it's not comparable to anyone else, EVER.

More than 10 emotes might help.  I mean, EverQuest launched with 100+ .. WoW also 100+.  I thought it was standard to have many emotes in an MMORPG.

/sigh to ArenaNet emotes are confrontational, along with inspects.  /who is considered stalking.  WTF.

no anet doesnt have to do anything, if you want to talk and be social........ talk and be social, i know its a shocking concept. MMO gamers think they are entitled to any and everything but they dont have to do anything.

There's no purpose to anything and your username/guild/outfit means almost nothing.

If Arenanet added some kind of PvE player ranking system and publish the best PvE players, for example by achievement points, and refresh it daily on website or ingame list, would that mean something to you?

I do understand that GW2 doesn't offer things that will make you stand out of the crowd except maybe Legendary weapons. I guess people need more things that other people can see how good PvE players they are. They seem not to care about talking to people for socializing, they just want to be recognized. Is that what this is about?

Ever if you get a legendary item, you can't inspect.  I asked people before about their gear and I was ignored.  But I guess I wasn't being social enough :P

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Ever if you get a legendary item, you can't inspect.  I asked people before about their gear and I was ignored.  But I guess I wasn't being social enough :P

Not to mention legendaries in GW2 provide no benefit outisde of aesthetics and aren't rewarded for being good at the game, they are rewarded for buying gold and grinding Karma in a mindless zerg.

GW2 removed grinding for gear, and turned it into grinding for looks. How horrifying.

Originally posted by Kalstark

no anet doesnt have to do anything, if you want to talk and be social........ talk and be social, i know its a shocking concept. MMO gamers think they are entitled to any and everything but they dont have to do anything.

I do talk and be social and I /bow alot (which is one of the only emotes in this game).  I also get ignored.

One time someone asked me what gear I was wearing.  I was social and answered, then I asked the person if they would like to group and do something?  The person ran off and I was ignored.

It's the mindset of this game.  It's not anything fans on this forum can fix.  The game was built to be anti-social and that is apparently the audience.

Only ArenaNet can change this, if they change the game.  Add social tools, make anti-social people adapt to how stuff gets done.  It can happen.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

There's no purpose to anything and your username/guild/outfit/character means almost nothing to everybody and even yourself after a while.

Your experience and Karteli's, with this game, are vastly different from my own. So to see such broadstroke assessments of this game is amusing to me because you've clearly fail to recognize that such a discrepancy can exist. Of course, feel free to tell yourself that I'm an exception if it'll make your 'rule' slightly less illegitimate. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    This hope happens every year.  They should make it into an MMO federal holiday.  The day when everyone  realized that the next be all end all game of the year...... is not.

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    This hope happens every year.  They should make it into an MMO federal holiday.  The day when everyone  realized that the next be all end all game of the year...... is not.

It was the be all and end all game of the year for me. image

Originally posted by Serelisk

Your experience and Karteli's, with this game, are vastly different from my own. So to see such broadstroke assessments of this game is amusing to me because you've clearly fail to recognize that such a discrepancy can exist. Of course, feel free to tell yourself that I'm an exception if it'll make your 'rule' slightly less illegitimate.  

You stand somewhere in the middle?  Sorry I didn't catch your stance on any topics mentioned.

You stand somewhere in the middle?  Sorry I didn't catch your stance on any topics mentioned.

I do not agree with you passing off your own experiences with the game as an objective statement about the game as a whole. 

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    I like the game - WvW is the best PvP ever. Leveling ist more fun than in any other MMO. Combat is much better than in old MMOs like WoW.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

So the OP is saying he's mainly a PvPer and yet most of the post is about how the PvE becomes boring after a while... I really don't know what to say here aside from leave the PvE and find yourself a good guild for WvW or start doing some sPvP.

Also, sorry but I can only laugh at people saying there's not enough emote, no /who, no /inspect and all that jazz, no game never needed those kind of crap to be a social one, its the players fault and only their, don't try to blame the game for the players lack of socialization. Sure the game might be designed without the need to socialize, but it also doesn't prevent you from doing so. Being able to compare your achievements and gear between players is the most useless thing ever. It won't make the game more social at all, quite the contrary. I don't care what you've done in the game, no achievements or gear will ever tell me if you're good or not. Its some useless bragging rights that doesn't mean s*** to me.

Lastly, if you need a purpose to play a game aside from having fun, I would tell you to quit gaming. I never played a game for something else than fun. That mentality of the need of purpose to play is beyond me. All this because someday, they started to add a leveling system and some stupid progression in nearly every single game. I remember the days when games had everything open/unlocked to you and you played to have fun and be the best, those days are long gone sadly. Now people have plenty of games with leveling, progression, purpose to play and yet they come here and bash the game that try to stay away from that crap. GG

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu
    I like the game - WvW is the best PvP ever. Leveling ist more fun than in any other MMO. Combat is much better than in old MMOs like WoW.

I am always wary of people who use 'best evarr'.

However, it is sad that no one is commenting on OP but hijacking the topic for their own personal hug box.

Case and point: ^This^

I'm a fan of the game and I should now acknowledge the 'fact' that is game is highly antisocial when everything I've experienced in the game has brought me to believe otherwise? 

I have a character in the game named "Plant", too. I guess I fit into both categories for people who can't see the grand truth. /endsarcasm 

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

there is absolutely no sense of accomplishment in this game. at the individual level, or group level.

Public quests are all the same. Levellin (after level 30es) gives almost nothing to look forward to. WvW is cap-recap-cap-recap tag game without any tangible end, it just feels like and endless usless cap-recap game. Mini games (BGs) they give you all your abilites, make you red or blue, completely impersonal. what is even the point of levelin if i can just que up for BGs and play as if i was already at end level?....

the thing is there is no point in fighting guilds from other servers. nobody gives a crap about such and such guild that you never hear of unless you are fighting them in WvW, and the only reason you are fighting them in WvW is because they are a different color (green, red, blue).

i accepted a guild invite when i started playing GW2. i have not as much talked in guild chat as of yet, and i could probably count on both my hands the times i've seen people talking in guild chat. nobody needs anyone, and everyone is just "doing their thing". the whole game was made with that mind set. everyone is replacable, and therfore nobody feels particularly useful.  

nobody cares about server pride man, and that's pretty much all there is to fight for. i've felt more guild pride in one hour of crap game Mortal Online that i've ever felt in Guild Wars 2, and that is sad.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76

I would like to shed a different perspective on the "anti-social" element of the game. I am very anti-social in MMOs, what am I doing playing MMOs? I don't know, god forbid an MMO just be a fun game, and maybe have a multiplayer aspect. So I don't like to talk a lot on MMOs, chat for some reason, on most of these games feels forced. Though I enjoy helping people in the games, thus I would try to play support roles, but it was always difficult for me to find a group, or just to help someone out in a field.

What I enjoy about GW2 is the no real party system, or atleast no kill stealing. I actually feel like I can help someone with a mob without getting yelled at afterwards, or worrying about the killing blow. In this way it feels more social to me than other MMOs, where I have to ask permission before hand to join a fight and help someone, where here I can just join in.

Now  after the fight, most will just say Ty, and leave, but I like to hold hope that maybe it will become a conversaion, and add someone to my friends list. Alright I'm done here, now.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

I do not agree with you passing off your own experiences with the game as an objective statement about the game as a whole. 

I'm on a discussion forum.  There is nothing objective about it, unless I provide a link with objective statements.  I still don't know where you stand, or what you like.  I only now know what you don't like (my opinions) :-)