Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how would you all feel if Anet added endgame Raid Dungeons in next month's content update?

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by DMKano

That would make no sense - gw2 is targeted at casual players, raids have no place among the casual players, as it takes 100s of hours of dedicated gameplay with a large guild to progress through raid content.

This isn't 2008.  Look at WOWs LFR for casual friendly raid design.

Also, ANET never said they wouldn't add raid content.  They said it wasn't going to be on release but they would listen to the player base to find out what they want added most.  So, LOL at the "betrayed" sentiment.

The way raids are now, everyone would just believe that raids are the only part of the game that matters, and the whole game would get trivialized. HOW IS THAT BENEFICIAL IN ANYWAY, except to appease the egos of the people who spend all of their time raiding?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

That would make no sense - gw2 is targeted at casual players, raids have no place among the casual players, as it takes 100s of hours of dedicated gameplay with a large guild to progress through raid content.

This isn't 2008.  Look at WOWs LFR for casual friendly raid design.

Also, ANET never said they wouldn't add raid content.  They said it wasn't going to be on release but they would listen to the player base to find out what they want added most.  So, LOL at the "betrayed" sentiment.

The way raids are now, everyone would just believe that raids are the only part of the game that matters, and the whole game would get trivialized. HOW IS THAT BENEFICIAL IN ANYWAY, except to appease the egos of the people who spend all of their time raiding?

That depends on the rewards.  Just like the rest of the game.  Stop making assumptions about how ANET would implement raids.

That depends on the rewards.  Just like the rest of the game.  Stop making assumptions about how ANET would implement raids.

I ain't thinking about how ANet will IMPLEMENT it, I'm thinking about how everyone else will react to it, and I think they will just assume that raiding is the only real part of the game and dump everything else off a cliff just because of old habits.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Well if they add raids in GW2 , it would be the hardest raids ever, as per no trinity.

I dont think they will as per that fact but if they do the hardcore raiders could get a blast out of this. Except if we get the usual wow raiders. They just complain on everything. ( too hard, too easy etc.etc. ). 

But again i would not like that for 1 specific reason. What would be the point???  No gear progression in this game. 

I dont want to spend weeks or months trying to figure out how to down a boss or multiple boss in a raid for nothing except a pat on the back or some gear that change my  look. 

They will need to include Trinity in this part of the game to have it work out well. It is not fun doing dungeons right now , so who in there right mind would include raids on top of this.

My opinion only !!!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

To get people wanting to log on more often than a couple times a month, this game would need some kind of enema.

It's too single player oriented with meaningless PVP.  Slap onto that how anti-social it is, even for an online single player game, and it's no wonder that ArenaNet keeps needing to downsize their sever capacity threshholds.  Amazing how a full server has no overflow, eh?

I'm on a full server and there is like 2 map shouts per hour, and those Event NPC's are annoying as hell, because I'm practically the only one in a zone, they keep bugging me to help. Grr.. I start their event and then let them run off to die just so they will leave me alone for 15 minutes or so.

In this games current state, I can only last 15-30 minutes before I log out again, because, frankly, it's boring as hell.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by Fion
    Guild Wars 1 didn't have raids
    Yes it did.

Guild Wars 1 has Elite Missions. I remember a couple having a max of 12 players.

Did you really play GW1?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

So long as they expanded their existing content, I don't see why they couldn't do it. There are a lot of people who like raids, and a lot of people who like GW2, and I expect there's a lot of people who fit into both categories.

Now, if they added a big, end game raid and that's all that they added, and it wasn't really any different than the raids in WoW or SWToR, then I'd call that a fail. But I don't see them doing that. They have a primary, long term audience and I don't think it's those hard core raiders. So while they might add a raid in addition to other stuff, I don't think they'd add a raid instead of other stuff.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Hmmm, I guess the only response I can think of to all the people saying "what's the point if there's no gear progression?" is "challenge+comraderie+achievement+fun." 

Are we all really that chained to the WoW model that we need to have a power gear trophy?  When a baseball team wins the world series, do they get gear that makes them better?  No, they're already using the best gear money can buy.  They DO get a nice ring that they can show to their friends.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

To anyone who has ever said, in this thread or elsewhere, that it would downright terrible if GW2 adds raids, I can't help but think you're letting your perception of particular games that you may not like blind you a little.  Raiding in GW2 doesn't have to--and indeed wouldn't--be a singular end game grind.  If they suddenly added raiding to GW2 right this instance, it would become just another one of many gameplay modes that players can participate in at their leisure.  How could that possibly be a bad thing for anyone?  Unless it somehow infringes upon other aspects of the game you enjoy, it simply won't effect you.  

That said, I'd have 1 major issue with raiding in GW2's current form: as far as I can see, it would be utter chaos.  Thus far, my experience in GW2 is such that more people = more chaos = fewer tactics employed = one homogenous game of standing out of red circles, dodging, and hacking away.  The sweet spot for GW2 PvE combat, in my opinion, is with 2-4 other players.  

But I also felt similarly about games like WoW.  I raided 40 mans in vanilla was a part of server firsts in 25 mans in BC.  But the dungeons that take the cake for me in my 3 expansion WoW experience?  Kara, timed ZA runs, and heroic 10 man Ulduar--all 10 mans.  Execution had to be so much tighter, healing was so much more intense.  This may be an apples to oranges comparison, but if anything, i think it might indicate that every MMO may have its own "sweet spot" for optimal number of players in combat--a sweet spot that is, of course, subject to each individual's preference to some extent.

Whatever they add, I'd suggest that one thing they seriously need to change/add is challenging content that yields specific unique rewards.  Right now, aside from Arah explorables, there is absolutely nothing in the game that represents a signficant accomplishment worth showing off.  There's very little for players to take pride in.  Absent of a gear tredmill (which I am very happy to be without), the game needs to offer titles/skins/achievements (that are linkable and visible to others)/pets/cosmetic mounts/whatever that players can feel proud to have obtained.  This is what generates motivation.  Give us a goal.  

Right now, every goal is basically "earn X gold so I can buy item Y."

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Go play a bloody raid grinder like wow or rift then.

Why does every game need to get tainted with raids?

It's almost as stupid as the people asking for pve servers with darkfall.

What is it, 20% of players raid? I wonder what those other 8 million are doing in WoW, the "raid grinder"....

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

What is it, 20% of players raid? I wonder what those other 8 million are doing in WoW, the "raid grinder"....

Leveling and getting bored, then starting up an alt and getting bored...

Roleplaying?

Imbalanced Low Level PVP (Heirlooms are the enemy of balance at anything lower than 30)

Dorking about in Goldshire?

Originally posted by Enigmatus

Leveling and getting bored, then starting up an alt and getting bored...

Roleplaying?

Imbalanced Low Level PVP (Heirlooms are the enemy of balance at anything lower than 30)

Dorking about in Goldshire?

oh snap, what if players actually could compare themselves with other players?  What if GW2 had interaction?

There is plenty of stuff to do in other games, largely because of interactivity.  Hell even fishing in WoW was made fun.

You downplay roleplaying, but that is part of interactivity.  GW2 sucks terribly when it comes to emotes.  They have the least I've seen in a so-called "AAA" MMORPG. shameful.  Do fans actually take pride in how GW2 is antisocial to everyone but themselves?  You may not like roleplaying, but many others do.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Guild Wars 1 didn't have raids.

GW1 had elite missions for 12 players, which is more than some games raid sizes.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Elite_mission

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

As long as if they were non instanced I would be all for it.

But if it was instanced, hated before hate it even more now.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by evilastro

Guild Wars 1 didn't have raids.

GW1 had elite missions for 12 players, which is more than some games raid sizes.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Elite_mission

Which played a lot less players compared to 8mans ... Simply for most ppl it wasnt worth to run it just for cosmetic rewards,  waste of resources ... ANet decided to not repeat same mistake in gw2.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Even if they added some raids to gw2 (won't ever happen IMO since they would've already done it at launch) most people will cry because there will be no point in doing them because the gear will be the same as the 5-man dungeons. Raids without the gear progression that come with it is pretty pointless. Also, if a 5 man dungeons can be as challenging and fun than a raid, why bother raiding?
  • lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    It doesn't matter if they add raid or not, that sort of end game won't attract me in any game.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

No problem with raiding, but honestly, for gw2 I just don't see it even being possible, at least raiding in the wow sense, without a tank/trinity.

Personally, I'm way looking forward to the progressive dungeon.  I hope we see more of that.  

What I'd really like to see is more puzzles in dungeons.  Moving platforms.  Switches.  Time limits to kill mobs or a door won't open.  Bombs to access secret passages.  Dark rooms where environmental torches provide 10m of vision.

that would make my day.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

If they keep the same loot system as they do now, a Diablo type randomized loot system where you get tokens for exotic gear, than I wouldn't mind seeing dungeons for 10+ people.  However I believe that it would be best if they made it an option, like a difficulty option.  Make those dungeons be able to be run with 5 people, but make a Hard version for 10 people, or something like that.  That would probably draw hate though for making it too much like "World of Warcraft" though.  Which I find pretty silly because there has been hard mode video games since the beginning of video games pretty much.  But I can just see people work super hard to link it to WoW using the best most ignorant viewpoints in their arsenal.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by ShakyMo Go play a bloody raid grinder like wow or rift then. Why does every game need to get tainted with raids? It's almost as stupid as the people asking for pve servers with darkfall.
    There was a recent interview with Blizzard devs that said that less than 3% of playerbase even gets to see any current raid content - less than 1% gets to complete a single raid boss.

So yeah 99% of WoW players do not raid on a regular basis - probably up to 20% try older raid content still the vast majority of WoW playerbase doesn't raid period.

Please link the interview.

Blizzard never said that.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by SirFubar
    Even if they added some raids to gw2 (won't ever happen IMO since they would've already done it at launch) most people will cry because there will be no point in doing them because the gear will be the same as the 5-man dungeons. Raids without the gear progression that come with it is pretty pointless. Also, if a 5 man dungeons can be as challenging and fun than a raid, why bother raiding?

Basically this ^.

Even with the 5 man dungeons GW2 already has, people are choosing to avoid the more challenging content in favor of the more farmable, easier content. It's just human nature. The only reason raids were ever as popular as they were, is because people were forced to do them. There was a huge barrier to entry. It was what all the cool elitists were doing.

I wouldn't be against larger group content in GW2 (and to a certain extent GW2 already has that), but I just don't see the game ever having raid content like what these people seem to be asking for. Suddenly adding a tiered gear grind would completely go 180 towards the game's core design principles. The people playing GW2 are doing so to get away from WoW, not to play more of the same.

While Raid content can be exciting, and a lot of fun, it has pretty blatant problems that many of us have been seeing for years.

One of the reasons I really enjoyed GW1, (and what GW2 seems to be trying to continue) is the focus on horizontal progression. Let people lvl up and evolve to a point, but make the endgame more about customization than about who has time to grind for the best loot.

From the 15th update, I'm willing to bet it's going to be more DEs, dungeon(s), gear skins, and possibly another dragon fight.

Originally posted by SirFubar

As long as the goal is power gear trophies, this mentality will continue.  I am still asking -- where in the real world do achivements for difficult tasks -- tests in school, scaling Mt Everest, winning the world series -- reward you with gear that make that makes you better at that task from that point on?  You get an A+, get a story in the newspaper, and receive a ring.  Sure, in a fantasy setting there can be more magic and items, but how about focusing on making them unique or different instead of more powerful?  Focus on having them do something special that can perhaps complement other abilities or items for an effect.  Pure power progression is boring.

And by the way, people DO take on challenge for challenge sake.  A guy climbing Mr. Everest asks himself if he can do it, not whether there's a +300 STR piece of gear waiting at the top, to make it worth his while.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by ShakyMo Go play a bloody raid grinder like wow or rift then. Why does every game need to get tainted with raids? It's almost as stupid as the people asking for pve servers with darkfall.
    There was a recent interview with Blizzard devs that said that less than 3% of playerbase even gets to see any current raid content - less than 1% gets to complete a single raid boss.

So yeah 99% of WoW players do not raid on a regular basis - probably up to 20% try older raid content still the vast majority of WoW playerbase doesn't raid period.

Please link the interview.

Blizzard never said that.

It's made up statistics, the interview saying what the OP said doesn't exist.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Betrayed.

But since it won't happen, there's nothing to worry about.

This!

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.