Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biased View of an Ornery 30-Something Gamer at level 12

deathgiantdeathgiant Member Posts: 32

Jail break character creation tied into the story+

Tutorial tips/reminders available, such as . . . you need to select a ship to find it on the harbor now that you logged out for a while+

Customer service (for me) turnaround was about 10 hrs (probably less. I did not check frequently). Quality, courteous answer.  Not bad for so soon after opening+

Game in one word: Playful.

Extrapolation: The game wants to play with you as much as you with it. The dialogue is fitting, tasteful, well-written, with quality voice overs. The game has NEVER felt like work to me. All play. Have yet to find a need or cultivate a desire to grind.+

Quests: well thought out. simple, yet depth of story adds flavor. (dont kill ten rats, but, rather, kill ten rats so that the prisoners from an expedition you work for as a free lance agent can make their way out of the tunnels after you free them from their captivity.)+

Ground Combat: think Risk meets Magic: the Gathering meets Puzzle Quest meets MMO. Yes, you could attack the box that is standing in your way toward getting to that one enemy over there . . . or you could have that NPC companion bottleneck and opening while you get in position to do an AoE artillery barrage on the enemies trying to negotiate through your characters. The combat is balanced well. I have never once felt under or over powered.+

Accessability in combat: see someone in combat? want to join in? get off the safe path on side of road and walk into the fray, you will be auto-queued to fight as long as the fight isnt already full. In ship combat, you can help repel boarders from friendly ships, or help storm a ship by sailing close and pressing x. Then you are placed on the map, just like in Ground Combat.+

Graphcis: WoW loses a few shoddy details and turns them into visible ship customizations, from armor to cannon type (bronze is bronze colored, iron is iron. subtle difference, but it shows they care)+

Music: as playful as the game itself. Its an uplifting, slightly mischevious, friendly, pirate-themed soundtrack.+

Now to the cost:

Cash Shop:

Do you NEED to use cash shop? Short answer: No.

Can you, if you wish to, buy convenience items/gear to help you get started/progress? Yes.

But, again, do you NEED to spend money in cash shop? No.

Subscription:

10$ a month with a monthly subsription (less if multiple months are bought together) is more than reasonable for the amount of fun that this game promises.

Try the Demo (F2P) version and if you like what you see when you get to where you need to have a sub, think about subbing.

10$ a month . . . hmm . . . going out to eat is about that much. if you go alone.

And besides, the people who have worked at this game, and continue working to make it bigger and better . . . they have to eat as well. And pay the electric bill. Etc.

So, long story short:

1) great, kid-friendly game (with chat filter. have yet to see ANY profanity, even mispelled, slip by)

2) cheap subscription prices, and bundle prices for families that would like to game together (the family that plays together, stays together)

3) Alot of potential for trolls to bash it because both subscription and cash shop available.

Just because you CAN spend all your money in a cash shop when you do not have to is more of a test of will and character of oneself rather than a flaw within the game.

Some people have more money than time and want things to help make their journey a bit easier. Some have more time than money . . . but can still probably afford 10$ a month if they want to do so.

Cry me a river if this upsets you. I will sail down it and shake my pirate hook at ye! Yarr!

Comments

• deathgiantdeathgiant Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    any comments on persistent group acrivity, replayability and endgame ? particularly large-scale group activity, pvp or pve ?

Persistent group acrivity(sic):

I have found that the friends list is great for those you wish to see/group with again. In it's heart though, I think this game would really shine in the ways of family-oriented play. I do not have any children, but there are life lessons to be taught. An example? A rat pirate who stops his thieving and less-than-reputable ways in order to "try it your way" when he sees your successes while still maintaining standards.

The jump-in, jump-out fighting style is great for casual play or when you have other real life concerns that might require you to just step to the safe walkway after a fight so you can take care of them. Infant comes to mind.

The one limiting factor for creating and maintaining "deep" friendships in this game is the chat filter. But I find that is a welcome feature of a game that is supposed to be for children. Keeps them safe. Expressing deep thoughts is tough, but when you can say things like: "I like your tactics. You are skilled. Thanks for healing me" etc. etc. etc. That is more than enough for me to feel connected to those I am currently grouping with.

Replayability:

As far as I can tell, the story lines are "almost" the same from character to character, but, depending on the starting class, the combat mechanics will work VERY differently. So if you mean is the story completely different every time? No. But if you roll more than one character, you will have to learn how to play it to its strengths. Example: A musketeer who is used to playing a privateer might want to avoid charging the enemy like he did on his other character. In addition, there are a limited number of points that you earn through leveling/questing that you can use to gain some of the other classes skills. Example: I am currently in heavy armor using a staff to attack and trying to get gear to help me heal. in heavy armor. with a staff. healing. :D

Endgame:

I havnt gotten there yet. I know levels go into the 50+ at the moment, and I am only level 12 so far. :)

If you have more questions, run em by me. I will do my best to check here often enough to provide somewhat prompt answers.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    any comments on persistent group acrivity, replayability and endgame ? particularly large-scale group activity, pvp or pve ?

Large Scale Activity:

Join in a fight that has several other people already in it is an easy way to do that. There are also dungeons, designed for more than one person, but, if you are careful and take it slow, you might be able to negotiate them.

PvP and PVE "large scale" like Aika or something? Not really. I have yet to try PVP and am honestly not sure if it is possible at the moment. I have not had the desire to look or try at level 12.

Hope this answers some of the things I left unattended. My apologies for missing the full question.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by deathgiant

Customer service (for me) turnaround was about 10 hrs (probably less. I did not check frequently). Quality, courteous answer.  Not bad for so soon after opening+

I guess you got lucky. I'm going on 70 hours now and still no reply to my broken quest which I can't complete. I'm paying for two accounts subscriptions + crown bundles on top of that. I really expected to get more support for my money

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    I have to pay HEAPS of money if I choose to unlock the content by areas. The free to play area is a trial, it is an outright lie to call this F2P.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Starpower

I guess you got lucky. I'm going on 70 hours now and still no reply to my broken quest which I can't complete. I'm paying for two accounts subscriptions + crown bundles on top of that. I really expected to get more support for my money

Starpower,

Which two quests are you having issue with? Im pretty far into the game, may be able to help.

Originally posted by Magnetia
    I have to pay HEAPS of money if I choose to unlock the content by areas. The free to play area is a trial, it is an outright lie to call this F2P.

Go play EVE which is advertised as F2p.. Let me know how that goes!

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Go play EVE which is advertised as F2p.. Let me know how that goes!

If I weight 300 pounds and someone calls me fat, but I say "hey look at him he's 400 pounds!".... I'm still fat.

Free to play = Demo

At least in my understanding. Do you expect to get a game for free when those who make it are supporting themselves by working on it?

It is free to try. If you like, buy. :)

My questions were rather simple in nature. If the broken quest is a known issue, they will fix it as a matter of course, but probably in a larger patch. The game just came out a little whil ago after all.

I am sorry you have not had a response as of yet.

Starpower,

Which two quests are you having issue with? Im pretty far into the game, may be able to help.

You can't.

it's the 'Peacemaker' quest in Cool Ranch. I forgot to talk to Sam Colt inside the cave before making my exit. There is no way of teleporting inside even if a friend is already there. It gives a message saying "can't teleport to gauntlet"

I finally got a reply from support saying they can't see my pirate on my account. Fun stuff and yes I did provide the right account name. now I can look forward to 70+ hours again for a reply, after sending them a simple msg that yes it IS the right account.

It's not the worst customer service I've gotten from a MMO but it's cutting it close

Starpower,

You can't.

it's the 'Peacemaker' quest in Cool Ranch. I forgot to talk to Sam Colt inside the cave before making my exit. There is no way of teleporting inside even if a friend is already there. It gives a message saying "can't teleport to gauntlet"

I finally got a reply from support saying they can't see my pirate on my account. Fun stuff and yes I did provide the right account name. now I can look forward to 70+ hours again for a reply, after sending them a simple msg that yes it IS the right account.

It's not the worst customer service I've gotten from a MMO but it's cutting it close

Ohh man, I know that blows! Im on that same quest! But luckily I did talk to Sam Colt. I am a prospector quest junkie. So I always search everything before I leave a instance. You should be like me :-D

Also, send me a email. Got a special something-something I cannot talk about on these forums. But I will let you in on it :-D

By the way, what class do you play?

My questions were rather simple in nature. If the broken quest is a known issue, they will fix it as a matter of course, but probably in a larger patch. The game just came out a little whil ago after all.

I am sorry you have not had a response as of yet.

Sometimes when you are playing Pirate101 the game will be loading or patching as you play. Most often logging out then logging back in will remedy the situation. Also to note, sometimes there are objectives that have not been met before a quest giver will give the quest.  Level, particular quests, or interaction with a different npc.

A general rule of thumb for me is I never leave a area until all the quests for said area are done. The only time I leave a area while quests still remain is to train if I level up. Or if a companion gets a promotion. I do those before anything.

Hope that helps!

Starpower,

You can't.

Ohh man, I know that blows! Im on that same quest! But luckily I did talk to Sam Colt. I am a prospector quest junkie. So I always search everything before I leave a instance. You should be like me :-D

Also, send me a email. Got a special something-something I cannot talk about on these forums. But I will let you in on it :-D

By the way, what class do you play?

Witchdoctor as my main, Privateer as secondary. I'm levelling them up together

I'm a bit of a completionist which is why it's bugging me I have a quest sitting there I can't do anything about. the quest itself is no biggie, since the reward is just 3 unit training points and a pair of guns which I don't use