Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO has the best combat animations?

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Age of Conan hands down,  This is not an opinion it's fact beacuse they used motion capture.

/thread.

Oh, like this?  Age of Wushu "Weapons in Motion" Video

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Metanol
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Metanol

Tera? Looks absolutely horrible, unless you like anime and all that.

What does that even mean... the animations are horrible unless you like anime... I can not even comprehend this statement.

I don't see the problem here. What do you not understand?

I was talking about the style of animations: See Dragon Age Origins -> Dragon Age 2 animation argument.

Fluid, more realistic animations > Anime super epic animations.

Are you now able to understand my opinion, or do I need to go more in detail with this case?

No i'm not able to comprehend it still, because I don't like anime but can still see that TERAs animations are fantastic, every finger, eyes, tongue, mouth, it's all animated and animated very well.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

age of wushu

swtor

age of conan

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

I don't like anime.  Never have.  it just nevr resonated with me.  But the TERA character combat animations are amazingly good. 

If you take a snapshot of an extremely fast combat action by a slayer, for example, then close up to the face, you can see the characters detailed facial expression, the direction the eyes are looking in are consistent with the direction of the attack, The overall action feels "heroic" meaning, your character feels like it knows what it's doing and its fully confident in every move.  In game the impacts connects and the full force can be seen even with a gentle shake of the screen and perfect spurt of blood - you feel your blow connect very well.

In swtor (which overall I actually enjoyed for its storytelling ~ only) I was kinda let down by the combat animations.  Specifically if you were a Marauder casting that "channeled" strike whatever its name was I could be striking ahead but the target could be on the side - or heck over behind you and your character would still be happily striking air (and connecting too).  Force Lightingin was well done, but I was unhappy with the crowching the character did, almost wished they used the character pose used in lightning strike for the channeled effect.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Age of Conan hands down,  This is not an opinion it's fact beacuse they used motion capture.

/thread.

What if I dont like realistic animations? I might like more cartoony stuff or unrealistic super hero moves :P

I like TERA's animations very much, it feels like they have power behind all those blows. Also SWTOR has pretty nice animations, and a nice variety, unlike WoW which has like 2 melee animations per 1h/2h and one animation for defensive and offensive casting each per race. Time for Blizz to put some of the earned billions into upgrading and adding some animations while re-modeling the old races!

• CrazyCronusCrazyCronus Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Swtor has some cool animations as well as Age of Conan.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

WoW and GW2 are my favorites.  Although I dont like how the off hands in dont swing unless the 4 or 5 are activated.  Its more realistic but do not like how in combat with a DW setup the offhand rarely swings in relation to the MH.

IMO that no better combat animation then a WoW Rogue's Mutilate attack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=DXL7kYiqJBc&NR=1

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    TERA, hands down. Most spectacular combat animations I have seen in any game, MMO or not.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I am going to say AoC. I think the animations look so fluid....especially the casters.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

From al games I played SWTOR has the best combat animations. I love also how they emplemented cover and throwing sticky granades at mobs is fun to watch. And I absolutely love orbital strike and all saber throws on my sith warriors:)

The new HK-51 has one of the coolest companion animation, but I love also how Andronicos destroys his enemies:)

HK-51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfdXoBl_Jt4

Andronicos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wn66y1X7m4

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I love FFXI's and by a lot.Sure they could use better hi res textures but we are talking animations,not graphics.

To be honest ,i do remeber most games,but SWTOR turned me off becuase of it doing everything half ass ,that i sort of forgot what their animations looked like.I guess since i don't  remember them being bad and i would,they must have been ok.

Most games ,especially F2p do not put enough animation frames in each animation.You get what you pay for.FFXI for example is often said to be too slow,well the cheap games couldn't pull off slow becuase the lack of animation frames woudl really stand out,so they have everything happen at break neck arcade speeds.

I have seen some god awful animations in games people praise,like GW2 arrow shooting and the constant spamming of fire coming from a staff.I know we are talking Fantasy but to keep the lore decently in tact,you don't spam fire from the staff,you use the staff to summon fire from the elements in the sky.Imagine a wooden staff firing fire for a week,the thing would burn up lol.

I actually don't mind the animations in most games,they are just hit and miss from game to game.F2p definitely stands out for having the worst.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    I like EVE Online's combat animations... image

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

Great post, love combat animations when done well it just adds to the immersion for me. For all the games I've played, Tera and Vindictus are my top choice. In Tera you can tell they went into great detail with casting and melee animations, right down to leg placement, facial changes, real shouts and even finger movement it never gets old. Vindictus is just amazing, slapping mobs around flipping them over your back, grabbing everything around you for weapons the list goes on. The Evie class is one of the coolest classes I've ever played to date.

I see many say Aoc, it's one of my favorite with graphics and armor detail and a game that I'm still subbed. But sad to say combat looks down right geriatric, especially the legs and feet and how they swivel side to side, looks like they're on ice. And it transfered over to TSW, boo. Fataltys in Aoc are just cool as hell. Is that considered combat or a cut scene?

In Eq2 the monk wielding dual weapons was very cool. Rift is another I like alot, some spell animations look great and melee makes sense. Gw2 did a decent job with some melee weapons (dual axe) but that damn casting leaning forward position just looks horrible. Knockdown although funny looks bad also, It's all seems a bit fast too. I love GW2 but all my girls do is brag while fighting, with the small numbers you do in this game for dps it's nothing to brag about. =) SWOTR was decent but looked like you were having a conversation between strikes, very slow and choppy. Wow for it's time was smooth and looked great but by todays standard its to dated. I liked in wow how you were breathing and had breath. I guess everybody else in games these days must be undead. All in all, In my opinion I've found asian games to excel when it comes to combat animations. Sure sometimes weapons are to damn big and spells are a bit flashy, boobs defy gravity, but it's their flavor and an asian thang.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by ArChWind

Vindictus Online does it best IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKJpXZxmyU&feature=g-vrec

I'd have to agree with this. Vindictus has great combat.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by grimgryphon

Originally posted by ArChWind Vindictus Online does it best IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKJpXZxmyU&feature=g-vrec
    I'd have to agree with this. Vindictus has great combat.

I throw my vote to Vindictus as well - the physics are awesome, nothing comes close. And the animations (shield slamming enemies into the ground, picking up random junk and tossing it around, throwing enemies into each other) are jawdropping for me.

And I love the boob physics.

• ProblemProblem Member UncommonPosts: 77
     Age of Conan, no doubt.

Citizen: Preach your filth elsewhere!

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    TERA

Joined - July 2004

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by QSatu

GW2 and FF XIV.

GW2 for all those middle animations between different attacks etc. It really feels like my characters doesn't repeat the same movement time after time but behaves like a real person.

FF XIV for simple outstanding quality of those animations.

I concur with the above. However, I actually rank FFXIV as having the best overall.

<3

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Funny to see all the Wow responses.

Wow does not sync animations with powers. This is why the combat appears smooth. Many of the special attacks are nothing more than a flashy animation that has nothing to do with the character. It is layered over top of it. If one animation goes off it also cancels the auto-attack animation. This is why so many players of Wow have a hard time playing other games that try a realistic approach. When a toon actually does the animation for each power and action it does the animators have to put a hell of a lot more time and effort into the combat system. I have heard constant complaints by many that they can't stand waiting for an animation to finish ... even if it finishes within the global cooldown if any. It simply is a result of the Wow-factor when so much time is put into one game and any other system will feel alien for a long time until it is allowed to be gotten used to.

When I think of actual good animations I always look to see if the game actually animated the moves or simply cheated with an overlay. If the question was whether gameplay was smoothest then I might think differently but for best animations Wow isn't even in the running because for the most part they don't even have animations for what the character is actually doing.

You stay sassy!

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Community spotlight on the debut of a new show, MMOFTW Live: http://www.mmorpg.com/showVideo.cfm/videoId/2775

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Dragon's Lair.

What?! It's as much an MMO as some of the contemporary crap I've seen people ignoring each other in...

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

What I find interesting is how many are saying AoC , (which I'm not disagreeing with , I'd rank it in top 3 for sure) , and on the other end , if you asked the opposite , which modern mmorpg has the worst combat animations , you'd likely see TSW ranked as one of the worst (many , many reviewers and players noted this and even Funcom prelaunch said they knew they needed work).

So same company has one game with some of best regarded , and their next major game regarded as some of the worst.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

This is a hard one for me as I make bvh format animations...I have to break it into categories to give my opinion really.

For realism and best syncronization:

- I goto give it up to War of the Roses.

It is only an MMO in the same sense that World of Tanks is. Butn I was impressed with anims in this game from it's first preview trailers. Not just on merit of how smooth they are, or true to human ability, but the fact that the contact for doing damage is heavily mesh based as apposed to zone based, so a well timed block can actually deflect a blow and the results are visually a blow being deflected, instead of a weapon or whole avatar ghosting through.

For Most Economical:

- Aika online gets my vote.

This games devs cut out anything not nescessary animation wise. A lot of it is recycled (such as run foward being the same as run backward, and turning being a partial play of the strafe anim). and all the animations have very short play times on infinate loops until they are cancled out by a new event. The devs did a good job of drawing attention away from things like this with particle effects. You really don't notice when your basically buffing up and calling down the woop ass that your charecter is just looping a single short anim through all of it. in addition to this a lot of the idles are syncronized. It is hard to minimilize anymore then this and still have it look visually pleasing over all.

For sheer volume and diversity:

- Runescape has it, imo.

The amount of idle anims is insane. As is the number of emotes (stand alone and item influenced). From obstacles and shortcuts, to the usage of individual weapons and weapon types, all the animations are unique and custom built for the action you are performing (or not performing in the case of idles). And if that wasn't enough players can get replacement animations.

An example here is in the alternate teleportation animations a player can aquire.:

You can work off what ever default animations exist for  teleporting (which are many and varied depending on how you choose to teleport)...or a lighting bolt can travel through you crackeling the ground shortly before you leap into the sky with that same epicness that the flying superhero from the show hero's does. you can have gnome copter pick you up after you pack your luggage. a pegasus can come down and wisk you away, or you can ride on the back of a greater demon as he burrows you to your destination.

With runscape animations I get the feeling that their animators have never been told "no" on something. Or that the their department lead had a horrible accident that broke his arm in such away that he is stuck walking around giving an eternal thumbs up.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Jonoku

All I know is that I love the SWTOR combat animations and it's the best I have seen. I want to know about other MMOs that also have great animations.

What are your thoughts?

In my opinion the up and coming Wildstar looks to have that organic fluid animations we both desire.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"