Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Yes I was very interested in this game and I preordered. I cancelled my WoW sub in favor of this game and planned for it to be my main MMO for years to come. I liked that it was similar to WoW so I wouldn't have to relearn how to play and it looked like it would have a lot of the things that I liked about WoW plus some new stuff. I was also really excited for Ilum and world PVP.

Do you currently play this game?:

No

If yes, please explain why:

If no, please explain why:

I did not sub after the first free month. It took me three weeks of solid play to clear EV and get Battlemaster PVP rank and once I did that there was nothing left to do. I wasn't particularly enamored with my guild or my server so I didn't have that attachment keeping me in the game either. Ilum, which I was my most excited for, was absolutely terrible.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

I am currently playing GW2 pretty casually and finding it decent if not the holy grail others are claiming. 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I find the arc of the game interesting as many people, such as myself, were absolutely in love with this game and Bioware but now despise it and them, respectively. I think disappointment is a very strong emotion and it continues to weigh on me whenever I see something about the game.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

no, because of the videos and lack of info. I also played some of the beta but not for long.

played enough of the trial to see that this game was not for me. 

My entire household was disappointed in it's lack of life, immersion, or anything different to set it apart from the 2004 wow standard.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:
    played LOTRO until someone was nice enough to help me get GW2, now i play GW2. It's a nice change. 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?
    I have come here since the beginning to warn people from purchasing this game giving the facts about the inadequacies about this title and the sheer lack of care the devs have put into their title. There's a serious lack of concern when devs can utterly lie to the public about how their game behaves and it's features and how supposedly their title is different and stands out and what's actually produced. I came here feeling an obligation to speak the truth to the community as a descenting voice offering the facts about this company's business and marketing practices, nothing more. If people actually have fun playing, that's fine, but I still felt the need to reveal what was hidden from public view, including but not limited to how many original executive and dev branch personel they lost just after launch and the issues regarding the games actual performance and features at launch as opposed to what the devs claimed in their launch videos would be in the game.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?

Partly. I read articles I saw on gaming sites but I never went out of my way to learn more about it.

Yep.

Because the leveling process is by far the best I've played in an MMO. The stories, the conversation system, the companions, crew skills, I like every one of those features. The combat and animations feel smooth, the only game that's comparable to WoW in that regard. 

Playing SWTOR as my main game now for reasons above. Playing FFXIV on the side because I have a $10 sub fee from the Legacy System, and enjoy how one character can play all classes and crafting is actually useful in a themepark game.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I post infrequently because this subsection is like a cesspool that breeds negavitiy and bandwagon statements.

• makifmakif Member Posts: 5

Yes. Obvious reason is it is Star Wars universe and developer is Bioware.

No.

-

It is story oriented, which i liked, but it didnt feel like lets say KOTOR. Maybe i was expecting a longer story to keep me busy. Have to wait for expansions.

WW2Online : Battleground Europe. levelling is irrelevant, it is combined arms, physics and damage models feel realistic.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

No particular reason.

• XTREM1337XTREM1337 Member Posts: 24

YES since day 1

and I LOVE IT

end of story

JEDI MASTER SOTANAX
    SWG PRE-CU

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

Yes, because it's Star Wars basically.

Yes.

I like the storyline. It's not exactly the best game ever, but it certainly is entertaining most of the time. I enjoy the class storylines.

This, and EVE. I enjoy the open free-roaming universe of EVE and that I can do what I want.

I really don't know. It's just an internet forum.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

If you are going to participate, please remember to answer all questions.

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    I do play this game. Mostly do to the rich storytelling and Star Wars atmoshpere. I generally do not post in the subforums do to the fact many posters post simply to derail any real conversation about SWTOR.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: No, I've never been a fan of StarWars, even when the orignal movie came out.

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: I tried it, but couldn't stand the game mechanics and really had no interest in the IP.

Rift: For the PvE

TSW: For the story and puzzles

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I don't post in this subforum because SWTOR doesn't hold my attention, good or bad. I just saw the thread on the front page and I like answering questionnaires. image

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I consider playing every new AAA mmorpg, as a fan of this type of game.  This one has special appeal appeal to me because it is in the sci-fi genre.

Yes I do!

I have played since pre-release and enjoy it very much.  There is always lots to do and they add new things all the time.  I pvp and raid (e.g., cleared TFB HM in 8 and 16 man) with multiple characters ( a commando and a gunslinger).  I also have a baby Sith on the imp side who is a work in progress.

Just SWTOR (though in the past I have played many others).

I tend to spend more time on mmorpg.com when I am either looking for a new mmo or waiting on one.  Every since SWTOR came out I have been busy playing it so I come here less.  But hey, Mike B, thanks for your awesome article last year on the game.  It helped me pick my class!

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Oh Definitely it was Star Wars my favourite movies of all time and I played SWG but unfortunately never liked it but I loved Bioware so I was very interested.

Yes  

I enjoy Bioware stories I absolutely loved Mass Effect I think it is one of my favourite games and also Dragon Ages so yes I knew I would love the  story aspect.

Playing GW 2 and SWTOR although have not played GW 2 for about a month now

I don't post much and I do not like the type of discussions that go on here and I refuse to get into any fights here so I just do not participate even if I read the threads. Lot of pretty nasty posters that simply disrespect other people's interest and condemn or demean you for liking something they do not, elitist and very condescending posters do not deserve my replies

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

Chamber of Chains
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Where you interested in this game before it came out?  Why?  Why not? :  I was extremely interested.  I like Star Wars (the original trilogy anyways) and in my opinoin there are not enough sci fi mmos available anyways.  At the time I still held out hope Bioware was the great developer I used to know and might put out something great.  With such a megalithic budget, I was looking forward to seeing what they might do with the game. 

Nope.

NA

Swtor seemed to be a direct WoW clone.  While WoW is fine, I expect different game play and game play mechanics when I play different games.   Other than that, the stagnation of the worlds themselves were appalling.  NPCs do not feel alive, the game world feels like a card board cut out to me.  The game worlds are also extremely linear in design, which is the first time I've seen anything like that in an mmo.  The game was not horribly unfun for me.  However I found myself ready to stop playing around level 20, and had no reason to look back.

Currently I'm playing Guild Wars 2.  The mechanics of the game are very different from mmo's I've played before, and what's more I enjoy them greatly.  The world feels alive and is a thing of beauty to behold.  Despite being tired of the fantasy genre, Guild Wars 2 managed to pull me back into it, and has me enjoying it as much as I ever have.

I don't post in the Swtor forum much anymore.  Other than the recent F2P offering and how utterly abysmal it seems to be, I've had no other reason to post here.  Swtor for many is a thing that has already come and gone.  It's a sub based game that offered a free to play option sooner than any other mmo I've ever seen.  I could rant on the game's failures all day, every day, but the dead horse has already been beaten to death.  Other than new changes to the game, which are actually somewhat meager and infrequent, there's not much to discuss anyways.

• HybelkaninenHybelkaninen Member Posts: 1

I was intersted in this game long before it came out.
    After hearing rumors that some of the old SWG devs and BioWare was working on a new Star Wars MMO I was like a kid in a candy shop, this was something I just HAD to check out.

N/A

That's a hard one...practically too much to list here, but some of the key points are:
    BioWare/EA taking a solid dump on their paying customers and community, this covers among borderline "Bait'n Switch" tactics to keep subcsription numbers, not listening and sometimes do the complete opposite of what we were asking for and outright lying us.
    The game is very fun in the beginning, but falls short VERY fast.
    The game have been out for a year and have barely moved forward on any aspects.
    Superstatic world, working more as a glorified backdrop rather than a living breathing world.
    ...and more.

Last two I played was The Secret World and GuildWars 2...quitting them after finding out they didn't really brought anything new.
    Currently now I'm betatesting FireFall, so far with it....a very, very positive experience.

My very first post on this forum actually...just felt I had to participate on this...experiment.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Mildly , mainly do to previous versions of KoTOR. I was under no illusion about what this game was going to be. I'm a bit disappointed that it's as confined as it is. Frankly, i'm disappointed that Devs still build to a Xbox platform style of play.  It's the biggest curse on gaming since it's introduction. Instancing is a big drag on the game.

Yes

Time sink and still enjoy aspects of it. PvP and PvE raiding . 8 man and 16 man. I have 3 raid capable characters that fulfill raid requirements. Tank , DPS and Healer.

N/A

N/A If I were to return to an MMO , at this point it would be Vanguard.

You asked a question , I responded. I enjoy correcting misconception to the best of my knowledge and attempt to keep the discussions objective. Too many times people post propoganda, based on emotion or lack of objective perspective.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Yes. I was interested because it was a MMORPG Star Wars title. I enjoy the Star Wars realm and was hoping to "get lost" within SWTOR.

No.

I couldn't "get lost" in this game. It was "go here, go there" the entire time. There was no social realm or any incentives at all to just hang out in the cantinas / world. It was extremely linear. Like all instanced PvP, battlegrounds became boring after the second day.

I'm not playing any MMO at the moment. I want to, but there are none worth the time and money. They are all so similar, e.g., quest hub to quest hub...

I'm going to be honest here. This is the only sub-forum that purposely look for negative remarks. Why? I don't know. Probably because I'm still shocked that a company such as EA/BioWare can have all the financial backing possible, knowledge of everything that has been wrong with MMOs since WoW, constant threads of concern, and still manage to create the worst MMO ever (my opinion).

• kueykuey Member UncommonPosts: 39

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?

Yes. Both a fan of MMOs and SW, so when they both got together I decided there wasn't much more I could ask for in a game.

No.

N/A

Great story, raid and pvp content but far too much emphasis on solo content as well as being far too linear and repetitive in progression. Also has a pretty poor space combat system as well as an almost completely useless crafting system.

Playing Path of Exile atm because it's new and fairly similar to an old time favourite of mine, Diablo2. 

I haven't posted much at all in general, but as someone who played the game (and enjoyed it) I like to keep tabs on what's going on with it whilst naively hoping they may fix it up and give me a reason to return (for too costly for them to consider that now sadly).

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    anyone know what these dumbass topics ever amounted to? no way this "expaerimnt" is still going on.
  • MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, I was interested because: Star Wars.

Do you currently play this game?I do not currently play this game.

If yes, please explain why: N/A

If no, please explain why: The standard MMO quest grind is not my thing. Combat is boring. Dialogues are alright but the whole "story mode" was of course not nearly as good as in proper single player RPGs such as KOTOR, which I prefer. Also the whole MMO setup destroys immersion, since everybody does the same missions and you can even repeat them. I would've preferred a KOTOR with a co-op mode to SWOTOR.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Since I hate the ubiquitous default MMO quest grind I do not play any of the MMO "RPGs" right now. The last game in that mold I've played for longer was City of Heroes, but also mostly because of the great character customization. The only MMO I play right now is Planetside 2, because it truly provides the feeling of a massive online game with great battles and most importantly no quest grind.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Nothing, really. I do not visit specific subforums at all, but just stumble into them through the latest posts box on the frontpage.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Yes I was very interested and followed tthe game closely. I like the SW genre.I played the previous SW game for a while

Absolutely not and never will

Several primary and a few seconday reasons.Primary ones....Abysmal faction conflict design....same sex "relationships"(i have stopped playing every game that has in game same sex marriage or "relationships"). Secondary...the poor crafting system and so so graphics

I don't play any mmog.I do play ES Skyrim

I very rarely post in this forum because I have zero interest in the game,but was interested in your wanting asnswers to your questions.

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427
    I dont it failed for me under beta.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Yes, I defended this game for a long time. What interested me most was the thought of a story driven game with a strong classic MMO experience next to it. As I had played (a limited amount of content) in the beta, I knew that the combat appealed to me, as did the story and group content at that point.

No, I quit the game last August, so after about 8 months of play.

I feel like TOR has been completely mismanaged. I quit the game because there was a lack of compelling content and no indication that such content would be delivered any time in the near future. I also quit because almost everyone I played with on my old server had quit during the long period with no updates to the game, in which many servers died.

When transfers came, I found myself on a new super server with all new people and all new guilds that I had no connection to.

TOR's endgame had also turned into a gear grind, for PvE, but especially for PvP. I hated the community response this brought forth in so called "hardcore" PvP players, who mercilessly continued to slaughter newbies to PvP with their uber gear and FOTM setups (and still labor to rub it in to this day).

The game had also suffered from a faulty reward setup for a very long time: itemization was bad, forcing you to grind out mods from even more gear; and the devs continued to add more and more tiers ontop of the existing stuff.

Before all of that, the gear system suffered from massive RNG in the first place, denying certain people drops for months while others geared themselves out in a week or so.

Open PvP was missing from the game after the Ilum debacle and no vision existed to bring it back. Faction imbalance was terrible in TOR, no surprise, as Empire got almost all of the juicy stuff AND significant bugs with skills tilted into their favour at launch (shock <> project / death from above <> mortar volley /...).

World story arcs were also frankly disappointing and repetitive in later stages of the game and class stories were not created equally (and again, tilted in favour of empire in quality).

Finally, the upcoming F2P option just lacked vision in my opinion at the time, I was proven right.

Currently I'm taking a break from MMO's as I focus on my social life and studies, I do play Age of Wushu from time to time and have been participating in the beta of various games. I played Guild Wars 2 after TOR however, because I had experienced the game in beta and it felt like a welcome change: the focus on public events meant you could go where you wanted and PvP had a much more open aspect to it (together with competitive aspects if you wanted them) and more importantly: no more continuous gear grind.

I posted a lot here before, not so much any more. I feel like this forum is still super popular because a great number of people feel like thrashing the game (often not for the right reasons) because of their history in SWG / other sandboxes or their MMO "ideology".

On the other hand, the game is still enjoyed by a large group of players, who feel the need to defend it.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• DerangedcowbrainDerangedcowbrain Member UncommonPosts: 56

Yes. I thought BIOWARE would make it similiar to their previous none-MMO games, many of which I liked. I knew it was going to be a Themepark, but I was hoping it would be an excellent one.

No, but I lurk around on these forums and check out interesting threads displayed on the front page.

n/a

It just wasn't fun in any manner. I bought the game in December just after it came out, and was terribly disapointed. I found the game boring and the character I played was arrogantly voiced, no matter what choices I made, and that is the opposite of how I play most any character I've created (a little of a RPer in that sense). The cartoony graphics and unreal story line also affected my will to play. The animations are just plan silly looking. During the 30 free day period, I stopped logging in with 10 days left on my time. I never subbed after that, and haven't been interested in the free-to-play b/c, well, I didn't even finish my "free-to-play" period after I dropped the ~$60 on the game. I just can't find any motivation to play it.

*sigh* Not many. I have played the FireFall beta a little--it looks promising. It also has cartoony graphics BUT it's not Star Wars, so I'm okay with that. Being able to "jump" with boosters is pretty darn cool. I log into DDO every once in a while. It's probably my favorite game out now. I like that I can mix and match classes and the D&D skill/feat system. I like that I can tumble, lol, even though It's mostly cosmetic. I like how I can hop on buildings. It's the little things, often, that can really get me into the game.

I've posted in this subforum rarely but read it quite often. The reason for any post I have made is to let other users know that the game is not so great. I think people who do this sparingly help other game consumers make a choice. That said, I think some people may go overboard, but I do love honest opinions. And I share the opinion that this game is, well, junk. Sorry.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

I was interested in the game, but quickly saw it would be a WoW-clone in a Star Wars setting. It never felt like the title would be anything close to a Star Wars game.
    No.

I guess there is quality in the voice-overs and the story driven content, but it's hardly worth putting in the time. I might give this game another try just to go through more stories, but I can't see myself playing this game beyond that. There just isn't much to it once you hit cap.
    GW2, B2P casual friendly quality game. 
    I don't post here frequently. When I do, it's mostly because due the "safe" choices they made for this game, the game never stood a chance.

imageimage
  • HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Yes. Star Wars and Bioware, in theory, what is not to like?

Minor yes. I have it installed. always find something else to do though.

I like my character. I just can not find the strenth to boot it up

Guild wars 2, WoW, Firefall, Secret World. They have some parts that entertain me. Different parts. WoW is a nice guild, secret World is a nice game, Firefall because its a little new and exciting, and GW2 because... heck, I finally figured out a good Necro build, want to try it out until 80.

I very seldom do, since it is far too black and white. Either you are a fan, and people just do not "get it". Or it is crap and screw EA. I am all for the screw EA, and refused to touch it when they wanted money from me, but now... its free.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• VodunVodun Member UncommonPosts: 87

Yes, 2 reasons (Star Wars and Bioware)

Do you currently play this game?: Yes

A few reasons,

Because it is Star Wars and I love the story mode elements, completing the Class Story is what I play for.

If no, please explain why: I stopped because the servers I was playing on were almost empty and moved to other games. I resubbed before f2p started.

I played The Secret World to the end of the main story and then stopped.

Guild Wars 2  until I max leveled  my Thief and then stopped

No Reason, I rarely post since my opinions will not likely be read by anyone.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

I was very intersted in this game as soon as it was announced..Star Wars + MMO  how could it go wrong?.. Well I found out how.

Iam not playing it now, I unsubbed after a month or two... I had that "bad feeling" about the game before purchasing but I figured , Star wars + MMO..what could possibly go wrong? well I found out.

If no, please explain why

I stopped playing as it was awefull... everything they decided from the lame story lines to the cringe inducing dialogue to the rail shooter with canned dialogue to the claustraphobic enviroments.. it was everything I didn't want in an MMO and a huge waste of a great IP.

I dabble in Planetside 2 (free) right now and have resurected (non MMOs) Shogun 2 Total war in anticapation for Rome 2, as the genre in general is loaded with crap with nothing worth that amount of time  and/or money.

If I see it trending as I search for a new MMO AND i feel i can add to the conversation, I'll post.