Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO has the best combat animations?

AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

All I know is that I love the SWTOR combat animations and it's the best I have seen. I want to know about other MMOs that also have great animations.

What are your thoughts?

Looking at: The Repopulation
Preordering: None
Playing: Random Games

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Jonoku

All I know is that I love the SWTOR combat animations and it's the best I have seen. I want to know about other MMOs that also have great animations.

What are your thoughts?

I think the combat animations in SWTOR are well done.  The best I've seen is in Age of Wushu.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    I like WOW's, the fluidness and seemlessness ive always enjoyed the most.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

What are your thoughts?

animations maybe, but the way characters (especially those with guns) swivel only half their bodies when you target someone on either side of you it's absolutely retarded.

i dont have a problem with the character trying to look at it's target but in SWOTR it looks like they turn their upper body 45 degreese, while the ass and legs keeps pointing straight. so uggly.

i absolutely hated this in SWORT especially since my main (Imperial agent) was a gun whielder.

the animations i enjoyed the most were probably AoC. GW2 actually has some very nice animations, however they are really fast.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    WoW's are pretty amazing.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

What are your thoughts?

I think the combat animations in SWTOR are well done.  The best I've seen is in Age of Wushu.

Yeah ill go with Age Of Wulin but WOW has the best imo

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Age of Conan maybe, specifically the 'killing' animations.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    when eq2 first came out I really loved there animations,  I like AOC animations lots of fun blood
  • hunt4foodhunt4food Member Posts: 17
    age of connan for sure, finish moves include ripping head off and spikeing it like a foot ball
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Tera animations are smooth, though I'm partly bias due to the gameplay making the animations feel that much more amazing.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

TERAs movements are very impressive, most notably the animations on the actual monsters, like BAMs for example have very smooth animations with impressive effects.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ1T1PesmWM&feature=relmfu#t=15s  <-- Like I mean look at how well the tail and tongue are animated on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJjYQel9k0 - Or these digusting tremour abominations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5tuhRl0qGI&feature=related#t=130s - Wooo....

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Age of Conan hands down,  This is not an opinion it's fact beacuse they used motion capture.

/thread.

Quicksand

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Tera and Swtor. I like them both.

Originally posted by Torgrim

Age of Conan hands down,  This is not an opinion it's fact beacuse they used motion capture.

/thread.

Oh noess he ended the thread with a FACT. Rest of our opiniosn do not matter after this.

Quicksand
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

GW2 and FF XIV.

GW2 for all those middle animations between different attacks etc. It really feels like my characters doesn't repeat the same movement time after time but behaves like a real person.

FF XIV for simple outstanding quality of those animations.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I would really say DDO. Especially for the melee animations and what not. Don't get me wrong, Age of Conan deserves the second place with good presentation, but the way the "fatalities" work just ruins it all. Derp, the transition to those is So Flawed.

WoW? Shouldn't even be included in the list of "good animations". Well, it comes down to personal preference, but I did not dislike over epic warrior animations of smashing the ground with a sword and sending... ******* lightning all around. Same thing concerning the insanely fast animation speeds on most attacks. Sure, DDO suffers from the "fast" animations too, but only under certain situations.

Tera? Looks absolutely horrible, unless you like anime and all that. And GW2? Well, they had a good try, but they overdid it. All the animations are over-epic.

Quicksand

We?re all dead, just say it.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Tera and Swtor. I like them both.

/thread.

Oh noess he ended the thread with a FACT. Rest of our opiniosn do not matter after this.

Yep.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

/thread.

aaaahaaactually that's how most animations are done nowadays ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Most of GW2's are excellent (except maybe the pistol single shot animation, seems dull).

Also, WoW was pretty smooth.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Metanol

Tera? Looks absolutely horrible, unless you like anime and all that.

What does that even mean... the animations are horrible unless you like anime... I can not even comprehend this statement.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Metanol

Tera? Looks absolutely horrible, unless you like anime and all that.

What does that even mean... the animations are horrible unless you like anime... I can not even comprehend this statement.

I don't see the problem here. What do you not understand?

I was talking about the style of animations: See Dragon Age Origins -> Dragon Age 2 animation argument.

Fluid, more realistic animations > Anime super epic animations.

Are you now able to understand my opinion, or do I need to go more in detail with this case?

We?re all dead, just say it.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

What are your thoughts?

We agree here. They are not just animations either. The animation and the damage is connected all the way to projectile travel time. 

This and the resource system, Swtor abosolutely nailed.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

For me: TERA.

I loved the many little details added, down to each individual finger. And the clear differences between race, male and female. A lot of work and love went into that. ^^

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

Lineage Eternal animations are so cool, for me the best so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCdbdsFgNGI

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Gotta admit EvE does pretty good, they simulate battle turrets swiveling like they're real as can be :P.

In reality Tera did an amazing job for me, never had one of those moments where you had that "reality breaking WTF moment".  then again only got to level 20 or so till I realized the only thing the game had to offer was awesome combat, with everything else being pretty bland.

WoW operated pretty smoothly then again they're so far out of reality that it's hard to hit uncanny valleys.

______

As for motion capture...  Any game that isn't using mocap of some sort or another is pretty far behind.  It's literally the developers saying "we're doing what everyone else does, but calling it a feature" in the case of SWG.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    TERA by far for me. 2nd place would probably tied between  age of Conan, and Champions Online
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    age of conan imo