Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Straw... picking a game and sticking with it no matter what.

2»

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Hedeon
    Originally posted by eldaris

EQ2 ?It has a f2p version so you can first try the game without spending anything ,good pve,lot of quests, decent raids - from what I heard (since I don't care for raids ),good crafting for a theme park game,one of the best housing systems from all the games available today,a huge world,great music.While it is not perfect (I don't like the graphic style much,the combat is a little too slow for me and is a SOE game ) it is still one of the best pve games right now and you should give it a try if you want a long term mmo.

hmm as a several year game I wouldnt recommend EQ2, they have already said, that the expansion that come in 2 days, is going to be the last, they did promise future gameupdates, but to me it really sounds like they hope to be able to push EQ2 players over into EQ3 once it get released - I like EQ2, am playing it again after a year break....but Id be worried that EQ2, will be putted into "Vanguard mode", unless EQ3 become a huge let down for the company ;P

just speculation...they did promise future content updates...but already took them 2 years with the current team to make the last expansion - have had small content updates inbetween, but it is a long wait between them.

I think you severely underestimate the amount of content thats been added into EQ2 the last two years. Yes, a lot of it (not all) was part of DoV but its actually quit a bit between drunder, skyshrine, freeport/qeynos content and all the other stuff.  Also, EQ2s staff has grown over the past year.  EQNext is at best 3 years away.  Worst case scenario is when EQNext gets released in 2015-2016 EQ2's population flocks over to it.  So worst case OP gets a solid 3-4 years.

The *only* reason vanguard got put into 'vanguard mode' was because it was a gigantic money sink that no one played.  It was a DEAD game.  99% of companies would have shut it down, in fact SoE is probably the only company that would have kept it running.  That alone is enough of a reason to consider eq2, because you *know* it will get constant development as long as people keep playing it?  How do you know?  look at EQ1.  that game is still being developed for too.  

That said, EQ2's combat is pretty much button mashing, and the best answer to what the op seeks is:

EQ1

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Origins of Malu coming out this year.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Talint
    First off I'm writing this on my phone since I'm watching Alaska state troopers and don't feel like going to my computer. Anyway, while I was laying here I said to my self, I miss the old days of playing the same MMO for years. So what I'm going to do is pick an MMO and stick through it no matter what. First off I'm going to pass on both WOW and GW 2 and actually add rift to that list, so those are off the table. I'm looking for something that has a solid pve game, while pvp is fun for me, it is by no means a breaking point. I want a game were crafting matters, and a game more than just button mashing. I was leaning towards TERA, but I've heard the pve sucks. The only thing that I keep thinking though is that it's only 6 months old, but I did read that the producer just left? Anyway, let me know. Thanks! Talint

So there's not much out there that fits your criteria, unfortunately.

I know you said you want a PvE game, but if you want a game where crafting matters than modern day PvE games are not what you want. Oddly enough my suggestion would be Darkfall: Unholy Wars if you want a game where crafting matters(item decay + item loss = crafters required). 

I did the same thing you are attempting when Vanguard released. I had missed all the other core PvE games and was really wanting to get into one. I leveled fast and ended up quitting, not because I disliked the game, but because there was literally no end game 2 months in. So my suggestion if you want a game that will last is look for a game with an established community. Once again, for this reason I suggest a PvP focused game as they have endless player driven end game.

The other option I could come up with is EVE, as it fits some of your criteria. The problem is that it is dated and not the typical fantasy MMO that you appear to be looking for but more of a sci fi MMO.

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• GlimsharpGlimsharp Member UncommonPosts: 1

Why not try Entropia Universe?

Its huge, different and something you can really stick with.....

Graphics are nice, crafting is challenging and you can start playing without having to get your wallet out.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

EVE has shown its staying power since 2003. Almost ten years now, and the player count keeps growing, gameplay keeps evolving, the engine keeps improving, and the team continues to emphasize and show that they have probably the longest-term plans in the genre (which they stick to until the playerbase throws a fit as with Incarna).

But if you insist on a fantasy setting, I got nothing. There just hasn't been an EVE equivalent for fantasy, yet, and I don't see one on the horizon.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Vanguard - best pve world
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Hedeon

hmm as a several year game I wouldnt recommend EQ2, they have already said, that the expansion that come in 2 days, is going to be the last,

you have a source?  I never heard this

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by sylentnyte
    Vanguard - best pve world

Vanguard +1

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by Talint
    I miss the old days of playing the same MMO for years. So what I'm going to do is pick an MMO and stick through it no matter what. First off I'm going to pass on both WOW and GW 2 and actually add rift to that list, so those are off the table.  Thanks! Talint

i have read this thread and think you have been given some good answers.  EVE has always been a favorite of mine, but  I would have to add that if you are easily frustrated by the game play of others you might want to pass it by. EVE is for those who are fairly ruthless in my opinion. My problem with it is that I get too competitve in real life when I play it, else I would still be playing it(yes, I know, my problem). Other than that it is a great game, perhaps the best sandbox MMO out there. Darkfall's  new birth or rebirth or whatever it is looks promising, and I might be trying that end of the month. I am currently playing AoC but though I love it I am missing something playing it.  Not sure what.  EQ1 & 2 are both good suggestions and there is always something to do in both that will keep you  in the game.  Other games were mentioned that I have not played so I have no opinion on them.  Good luck, in the long run only you can answer the question of which game will keep YOU immersed for a long time because only you know what you are really looking for.

Currently bored with MMO's.