Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could travel back in time and tell the Pre-SWTOR-Beta "You" something about SWTOR, what would

124»

Comments

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    I must say, I'm amazed I went through four pages without seeing references to Admiral Ackbar's infamous line.

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Kuppa
    Good job young one...it went f2p as expected.
    Last August we had a discussion about SWTOR's future and most of us agreed that it would go F2P in a year or so, we saw STO do just that.

The IP doesn't make the product an instant hit, you could slap Elvis Presley on a curling iron box but it wouldn't sell well if the curling iron burned out in 30 minutes of use. There are lots of products out there using Nicki Minaj and all those famous names just to make the product sell but if they're trash, the famous name isn't going to help.

Remember the Wayne Gretzky cereal? Yeah, that cereal sucked hard.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by victorbjr
    I must say, I'm amazed I went through four pages without seeing references to Admiral Ackbar's infamous line.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

Originally posted by Kuppa
    Good job young one...it went f2p as expected.

Last August we had a discussion about SWTOR's future and most of us agreed that it would go F2P in a year or so, we saw STO do just that.

The IP doesn't make the product an instant hit, you could slap Elvis Presley on a curling iron box but it wouldn't sell well if the curling iron burned out in 30 minutes of use. There are lots of products out there using Nicki Minaj and all those famous names just to make the product sell but if they're trash, the famous name isn't going to help.

Remember the Wayne Gretzky cereal? Yeah, that cereal sucked hard.

Well actually that's not true. You can putt Apple on anything and sell it well.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

What would I tell myself?  Maybe to put less stock into side quests.  That, and maybe to finally accept that crafting in MMOs is not for me.   SWTOR has really amazing and fun stories for their main quests.  The side quests though... too much cash wasted on voice acting for quests that are usually not that great in the long run. 

I actually love the game though.  It is my favorite MMO of the post-WOW era.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    I differ than most....The only theme parks I've had a little fun playing lately is rift, vanguard, and swtor. If I'm going to be picking up a theme park at all
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Nothing at all.

I bought it after release knowing what i was getting, played for 2 months and had an absolute blast! Loved every minute of it and i got my moneys worth.

I knew it would have limited appeal so i purchased the cheapest copy i could find and didn't get suckered in to the collectors edition or long term subs.

The storylines were excellent (mostly), really enjoyed some of the unexpected twists and any true Star Wars fan would have enjoyed these rides. I got to play out my story over most of the classes and it was great fun and entertainment, my guild ran the flashpoints together and they were also fun for a group and again, decent enough stories to experience with my friends.

PvP was fun for a while, played it while i enjoyed it, once it got a bit stale i simply stopped.

2 months in and i was just about done with the game, which is pretty much what I expected. Same with TSW, same with GW2, same with any new themepark mmorpg release. Bought the game, enjoyed the stories, enjoyed the ride and then onto pastures new.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    If you could travel back in time and tell the Pre-SWTOR-Beta "You" something about SWTOR, what would you tell yourself?

Don't. Just don't.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    I would tell myself: What the hell, buy it, it's still better than what mass efefct 3 will be...
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    I'd tell my self to not even bother beta testing the game because its that much of a piece of shit. Thankfully I wasn't stupid enough to actually buy it at release. I got into beta and seen how boring/generic it was and I lost all interest. Guess I am one of the smart ones.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I'd tell myself that, despite the fact it isn't that bad, that it'll never get better because Bioware are a bunch of pricks now who will never admit their own design faults.

Also, I would tell myself not to roll an operatibve because they'll get nerfed into absolute uselessness. Oh, and I'd avoid spending the cash on the digital collector's edtition because it's a complete waste of cash. Seriously, the mount doesn't even scale with level. How useless is that?!?

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    F2P within the year, save your pennies. *yawn*

imageimage
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Its a one month story experience, just buy the box and enjoy your ride to max level.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Age of Conan is better than SWTOR. That would definitely have stopped me buying SWTOR.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Buy it. You will get 5+ months of good fun, and a nice change from WoW or LOTRO. It will help pass time until GW2 is released.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

Nothing.

I was in the closed beta, discovered I didn't like the game, and never looked back. I quit playing in the beta, when it was free.

I may get the game someday, to play as a single-player RPG. That's what it seemed to be to me during beta, except with a dead, lifeless world.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by SlickShoes
    I'd tell myself not to buy it, like every other MMO I have bought this year I have got as many hours out of them as a normal single player game before ditching them. I have a problem.

We have a winner.  I waited and bought it for $20, so it was a great deal, much better than the $60 on GW2. for instance.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    You couldn't tell them anything because they were the most cockey group i've ever seen in game development. 

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I would tell my self not to even briefly look over the companion character list on internet, to have more surprises while playing.

Also I'd ask my self to force my self to finish a single republic class story before going to empire and playing the agent story, since the agent stuff is so much better than anything else. It's hard to finish any other story except the sith stuff after going agent!

Maybe now when it goes F2P I can finally finish one of the story arcs on pub side :)