Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Random Ban?

2»

Comments

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by redcap036

Yer I got hacked and banned about two weeks ago, they used my toons to spam gold and sold everything that I had in my bank and inventory only leaving me what was still being worn by my toons, personally i hope the hackers die a slow painful death, the mods also banned my account for what they did, I got it back by creating a support ticket, the mods were quite quick at getting it back for me which was great, whole situation still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I also suggested to the mods that helped me that maybe adding a pin/password to the ingame bank would be a good idea, I mean why make it easy for the those hacker pricks to get our gear.

the Pin/password is a dam good Idea, and i think its should not be only for bank. i mean first time logged in (inside of a game) we should all type a pin or password. i think its would way secure that way,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• tocsixtocsix Member Posts: 10

I have not been banned in a very long time and i dont run single bots, i run full partys.players need to remember that bots are in ways a neccesary evil....they bring down the prices of items in the game and make them affordable.

If you look at diablo 3 it shows bad game design and no ways for currency to leave the world making it useless so blizzard forces players to buy items on AH with real currency  and it was always their plan for bots to do that to their game.However if you look at most mmos they are designed in ways that bots dont damage the economy at all but rather help keep prices down.

They also put money into the game developers pockets. If there is a sub bots are paying many monthly fees and if they have a cash shop often bots buy those items also.

Many developers will ban bots but its just to make players think they are doing damage control....they love money and they dont care where it comes from.These games are not a virtual world to them where they hang out with friends, it is dollar signs in their eyes. When they make a kewl animation for a skill, they want you to enjoy setting it off and feel powerful and get addicted to their game.

I know i am drifting a little off topic here but bots will always be there and if you didnt bot i am sorry you got banned but if you did  then you got what you deserve. Not everybody can be a farmer...every time you log in the game you put it all on the line and its all or nothing.You will either get powerful and even rich in real life doing it...or you will end up with nothing 

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    I reported once a guy by mistake, but I doubt one report will end in a ban.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    it's very possible your account was mistakenly flagged, possibly by another player who saw you next to actual bots at one time or another.   Regardless, you'll get your account back if you didn't do anything wrong.

I'm thinking this is probably  the most likely case. I report bots but i usually wait a minute to watch the behavior of all the toons. If a player is next to some say in Orr for instance it's hard to tell sometimes if they are a real player or not. My guess is you were following very closely behind a few bots and moved in a similar manner enough to convince a player you were one out of the same group.

The other thing i look for is porting. I see alot of single players doing this. The reason I know it's porting is no one else is doing this in the vacinity (which rules out game lag) and the porting occurs in short continuous bursts or just completely gone without time enough to open the map and select a none contested waypoint. Had this happen in Orr once, they ported in a straight line into a cutoff area filled with mobs, instead of fighting, they suddenly disappeared entirely, I had an open view of the place and could see all possible exits, it was not a thief it was a guardian, he just short ported into the place stopped and vanished right after stopping, the type of porting that occurs is usually what one sees from the short range teleport abilities skills use on some classes but used over and over in the same pattern, like straight lines or wide circular paths attacking the same mobs over and over.

I think someone mistook you for one and reported you along with the group. Soon they should have the software to detect botting apps in the background.

Also, I would refrain from using those built in macro apps in keyboards and joypads. They can ban you for that too if it's setup to use a timed key sequence from a single press of a button. i.e. you press button 1 and it does 1 2sec 3 2sec 4 2sec.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by garbonzo
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

maybe you used botting software, not realising that you could be banned for that..

Glad to hear botters are getting banned.

Honestly I think botting is a sign that a game is too boring to actually play - what's the point? I like leveling in GW2 which is why I've been taking so long. I've never botted, and if I felt like I needed to cheat I'd play something else. 

No, botting is a sign that the game is perceived as popular enough to warrant bots farming stuff.  That's it.

Fair point. I guess it depends on who is doing the botting, players or farmers for profit. Actual players who bot to skip leveling, gathering etc are who I was referring to.

Thats not the case with GW2 farmers, they often use names like hrfgrt, hugdfdt, iodkzz, and are obviously manned by goldfarmers...  Dont think that much real players where botting.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

maybe you used botting software, not realising that you could be banned for that..

Honestly I think botting is a sign that a game is too boring to actually play - what's the point? I like leveling in GW2 which is why I've been taking so long. I've never botted, and if I felt like I needed to cheat I'd play something else. 

No, botting is a sign that the game is perceived as popular enough to warrant bots farming stuff.  That's it.

Fair point. I guess it depends on who is doing the botting, players or farmers for profit. Actual players who bot to skip leveling, gathering etc are who I was referring to.

Thats not the case with GW2 farmers, they often use names like hrfgrt, hugdfdt, iodkzz, and are obviously manned by goldfarmers...  Dont think that much real players where botting.

A real botter, like one of those that does it for gold selling etc, wouldn't post asking about it like the OP is, so why are you trolling?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by adam_nox

A real botter, like one of those that does it for gold selling etc, wouldn't post asking about it like the OP is, so why are you trolling?

I am not trolling...

Either the OP did some botting, or het got cought in Arenanets great actions against botters. On my server the bots all have  gone. Seems Anet got an Algorythm to check for bots. Obviously the OP got cought up in this.  If he has been wronged i am sure Arenanet will correct it.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260

Thanks again for the feedback and tips, guys. They restored my account last night. They labeled it a hacking incident, but I don't think that's what happened, because all of my characters and inventory are exactly as I left them. I suspect I got mistakenly flagged by another player, or just some clumbsy alogarithm snatched me up with a herd.  

The whole experience does kill some of the enthusiasm I had for the game, because now I'm wondering if I'll put a year in it just to get some random ban again that may or may not get lifted. I'm glad they restored the account, but I'm not satisfied with the explanation and don't know what I can do to prevent it from happening again, other than using the authenticator and all that. But again, I don't think I was really hacked. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Thanks again for the feedback and tips, guys. They restored my account last night. They labeled it a hacking incident, but I don't think that's what happened, because all of my characters and inventory are exactly as I left them. I suspect I got mistakenly flagged by another player, or just some clumbsy alogarithm snatched me up with a herd.  

The whole experience does kill some of the enthusiasm I had for the game, because now I'm wondering if I'll put a year in it just to get some random ban again that may or may not get lifted. I'm glad they restored the account, but I'm not satisfied with the explanation and don't know what I can do to prevent it from happening again, other than using the authenticator and all that. But again, I don't think I was really hacked. 

to my knowledge they have yet to implement the algrithms to detect botting, when they do they'll be able to tell the difference between the macro system in keyboards and the full on auto mode that botters use. (sensing if a player physically pressed a button or when a bot didn't press anything at all).

Most likely someone reported you. imo. It happens in every mmo from time to time, i remember this exact same problem in WoW some years ago before they put in code to monitor this kind of thing.

• meredienmeredien Member UncommonPosts: 18
    A coinlock(locks everything and u need a pin code to unlock) feature like the one found in Rift would be really awesome, aslong as your mail isnt hacked that is ;D
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Garbonzo,

Genuinely glad you got your account back.  Sometimes crazy stuff happens when they start to enforce  (think about those bystanders who get caught up in a police raid for example... they weren't doing the crime but they were inconvenienced because they were in the area thus suspect).

Anyways, happy hunting.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Was reading about securing your GW2 account on their site. They have an authenticator but i think its handled something like the key chains ToR and Wow have. Its an app you download(i think called Google Authenticator) I havent tried setting one up yet but if its like the rift app on my Android i just may be adding it to GW2 soon.

* Removed the link. Didnt know what the admins policy was on posting links and didnt want to have them just edit it out. Go to GW2 website>support. search Security and you will see the instructions on Google Authenticators,where to get em and how to set up up/etc.*

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Im guessing they will eventually have their own released unless they dont have any issues with the Google Authenticator in which case switching them wouldnt be neccessary.