Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Straw... picking a game and sticking with it no matter what.

TalintTalint Member UncommonPosts: 168
First off I'm writing this on my phone since I'm watching Alaska state troopers and don't feel like going to my computer.

Anyway, while I was laying here I said to my self, I miss the old days of playing the same MMO for years. So what I'm going to do is pick an MMO and stick through it no matter what. First off I'm going to pass on both WOW and GW 2 and actually add rift to that list, so those are off the table. I'm looking for something that has a solid pve game, while pvp is fun for me, it is by no means a breaking point. I want a game were crafting matters, and a game more than just button mashing. I was leaning towards TERA, but I've heard the pve sucks. The only thing that I keep thinking though is that it's only 6 months old, but I did read that the producer just left? Anyway, let me know.

Thanks!

Talint

Non sibi sed patriae

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I think I've decided that I was sticking to the last 4 mmo's I've bought 'no matter what' ... until the next one comes out :P  

To find a game that fits that bill is a tall order imho :P

Edit: Ok, since the OP thinks my post is 'stupid' (see his post below this one) then let's revisit his criteria:

1. A game that he wants to stick with no matter what (for years)

2. A game with meaningful crafting

3. A game with good pve

4. PvP that's more than 'button mashing'

Passing on WoW, GW2, and RIFT ... but considering TERA.

Like I said before, what he's asking is tough.  I can't think of an MMO that fits all of those all of his qualifications.  I would say that the closest would be GW2, but he's already stated he's not including it in his options.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    There's nothing wrong with TERAs PvE, it's good, just the leveling process is a little archaic. However if it's an MMO you want to play for years TERA is not that, sure i've played it for 6 months, but unless you plan on leveling every character to 60 and maxing out endgame gear on them all you aren't going to last years in there, or any themepark. The only thing that should hold people for years are sandbox games.

• TalintTalint Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Thanks for the great response. I usually can find stuff to do, i.e. achievement whoring, etc.

Non sibi sed patriae

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

play runescape.  It'll take over 2000 hours to max everything out if you do it efficiently :P

On a serious note, I want to do the same thing.  Im going to try it with darkfall.  Ive never really played the first one that much so if it isn't just a deathmatch in an mmo it seems like it has lasting potential

Greed Monger also looks like it has huge lasting potential, that is if you want to wait for a kickstarter project to actually evovle into something

Originally posted by hockeyplayr

play runescape.  It'll take over 2000 hours to max everything out if you do it efficiently :P 

Heh, way longer than that. I've got 3 irl friends who since childhood have all put over 2000 hours into their runescape accounts each, myself included and we never got every skill to 99(13 mil) xp. And skills don't even cap until 200m xp, closest one of us got was my one friend with 10 skills at 99, he had 145 days played.

Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr

Heh, way longer than that. I've got 3 irl friends who since childhood have all put over 2000 hours into their runescape accounts each, myself included and we never got every skill to 99(13 mil) xp. And skills don't even cap until 200m xp, closest one of us got was my one friend with 10 skills at 99, he had 145 days played.

I logged in a years worth of hours in that game and I only had 1 skill to 99 across the 2 accounts i played.  In its prime it was a very fun game, and it looks like it still is for those who do not know what it was like back then (and thus miss the old days and quit)

• TalintTalint Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Soooooo.. about TERA... haha

Non sibi sed patriae

Originally posted by Talint

I have it.  It is a very fun combat system, but the questing is probably as typical as it can get.  Kill x and y of this. Go talk to that guy a little ways down the road. To me that was a turn off

• MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97
    play wow
  • DerapDerap Member UncommonPosts: 19

Theres only one mmo that has filled this for me as of recent. 

Eve Online..

While im not playing it right now I do go back to it from time to time, It's the only game thats complex enough to hold my attention for more than a month at a time.

Originally posted by Talint

Well, I don't know what else to say really... I just don't expect many more than a handfull of people to find stuff to do in TERA for a year, unless BHS keeps releasing content like they have, which could keep someone coming back i'm sure.

There's two tiers of PvE gear and two tiers of PvP gear you could max out, theres two dungeons to obtain glyphs for your character and some pretty difficult endgame dungeons, one battleground and one 3v3 ranked arena coming out. If you think that's going to be enough for you for a long time, give it a go. Theres also achievements and daily quests for faction reputation if that is your thing.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

I think I've decided that I was sticking to the last 4 mmo's I've bought 'no matter what' ... until the next one comes out :P  

Edit: Ok, since the OP thinks my post is 'stupid' (see his post below this one) then let's revisit his criteria:

3. A game with good pve

Like I said before, what he's asking is tough.  I can't think of an MMO that fits all of those all of his qualifications.  I would say that the closest would be GW2, but he's already stated he's not including it in his options.

GW2 is far to shallow to play for "years" .  The OP needs something with a DEEP end game not mindless WvW and tumbling dungeon chaos.  I dont know maybe Vangaurd if you can get into the slightly dated graphics.  Remember the OP said years, there isnt much out with years worth of content that looks decent besides except maybe EQ2 , Vanguard,   WoW, Rift and GW2 were scratched from his list.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

3. A game with good pve

GW2 is far to shallow to play for "years" .  The OP needs something with a DEEP end game not mindless WvW and tumbling dungeon chaos.  I dont know maybe Vangaurd if you can get into the slightly dated graphics.  Remember the OP said years, there isnt much out with years worth of content that looks decent besides except maybe EQ2 , Vanguard,   WoW, Rift and GW2 were scratched from his list.

Hence why I said GW2 is 'closest' by hitting most of the criteria.  I think finding ANY game to play for years is tough since the turnover is so high these days.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Wow, "stupid post". Nay sir I have one for you.

(this guy is a riot, attacking the first person to legitimately post)

You will find no such game, go play the oldies if you are wanting longevity they still exist.

You are leaning towards tera for longevity but rift is off your list?

Go play with yourself . I'm pretty sure that's the only longevity you'll find these days.

Oh better idea, form your own judgement and play some trials instead of having the community you attack hold your knobley thumb fingers.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by MMObro
    play wow

I would but its proving very difficult to find a surgeon that will give me the lobotomy I need to enjoy it .

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

You just need to get out there and try different games, otherwise you'll just keep sitting on your couch, watching Ice Road Truckers, and complaining about each and every suggestion that someone drops on the thread.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Oh this one is EASY.

Darkfall: UW.  Comes out on the 20th.  Has everything you need.

1) Best PvP in MMOs

2) Some of the most intense PvE with smart AI that dodges, retreats, regroups and flanks.

3) Player-driven economy where crafting is king and always needed.  Also, you sign what you've made.

4) A massive totally seamless world over 10 times the size of Kalimdor.

• bigronbigron Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    There's nothing wrong with TERAs PvE, it's good, just the leveling process is a little archaic. However if it's an MMO you want to play for years TERA is not that, sure i've played it for 6 months, but unless you plan on leveling every character to 60 and maxing out endgame gear on them all you aren't going to last years in there, or any themepark. The only thing that should hold people for years are sandbox games.

I have to agree that questing was archaic, where I disagree is that I thought TERA's OWPVP was where it shined. I think you miss out on a lot of the game playing on a PVE server. OWPVP was implemented nicely.

Combat is great, but since the game's trashmob AI is braindead you hit the same 2-3 buttons outside dungeons and pvp. The graphics are also quite wonderful and, IMO, the best in any current MMO.

Questing was poor. Ditto the story. Community was so-so, too. A lot of weirdos who play elins.

If the game had BG's while levelling I would've subbed, but none until near endgame was a gamekiller for me (along with only one bg at endgame). One starting zone for every race/class ior levelling alts when there's no low level bg was disappointing

OP, why don't you like any of the major MMOs? Are you only into KRPGs?

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Just wait a little while longer, some realy good looking mmo's on the horizon. Dont get tied down to a mediocre mmo. Plus its nice starting out fresh with a new game and play it for years from there ;)
  • SharpKrisSharpKris Member Posts: 17
    In my expirience snadbox mmos do the job so following that you could try: Xsyion,Darkfall UW,EVE online,DAOC,Ultima and The Repopulation. 
    but i would also suggest D&D online for its big player base and amount of content they just keep releasing, furthermore it has from what i heared some nice crafting though didn't hear much of it for PVP wise.
    clearly this is your choice, i myself am having the same problem.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Dude, you really should give TSW a try, sounds like you might love it and episodic monthly content gets added.

Also there is a cheap lifetime sub

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    If you want a MMORPG that you can stay with for the really long haul, go with EVE.
    I've recently returned and decided that while I'll try other MMOs in the future, I'll always keep playing EVE.
    They really don't make them like they used to, so I might a well stay with one of the few successful old school titles that still remains.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201
    You can play tera till lvl 28 now for free with unlimited time download it and try it. I thinks it's the best mmo out right now imo.
  • eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

EQ2 ?It has a f2p version so you can first try the game without spending anything ,good pve,lot of quests, decent raids - from what I heard (since I don't care for raids ),good crafting for a theme park game,one of the best housing systems from all the games available today,a huge world,great music.While it is not perfect (I don't like the graphic style much,the combat is a little too slow for me and is a SOE game ) it is still one of the best pve games right now and you should give it a try if you want a long term mmo.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by eldaris

EQ2 ?It has a f2p version so you can first try the game without spending anything ,good pve,lot of quests, decent raids - from what I heard (since I don't care for raids ),good crafting for a theme park game,one of the best housing systems from all the games available today,a huge world,great music.While it is not perfect (I don't like the graphic style much,the combat is a little too slow for me and is a SOE game ) it is still one of the best pve games right now and you should give it a try if you want a long term mmo.

hmm as a several year game I wouldnt recommend EQ2, they have already said, that the expansion that come in 2 days, is going to be the last, they did promise future gameupdates, but to me it really sounds like they hope to be able to push EQ2 players over into EQ3 once it get released - I like EQ2, am playing it again after a year break....but Id be worried that EQ2, will be putted into "Vanguard mode", unless EQ3 become a huge let down for the company ;P

just speculation...they did promise future content updates...but already took them 2 years with the current team to make the last expansion - have had small content updates inbetween, but it is a long wait between them.