Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOExposed's Prediction/Speculation on what will go wrong with TESO

2»

Comments

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

1) Well off from the start of the game, the game will have a large backlash from Non-MMO gamers who happen to be TES console gamers in general. Many will try and leave after first month for this alone.
      This is just speculation and juding by the latest vid many on the official forum are actually coming round.    

Thank you master of the obvious.

Your welcome.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

1) Well off from the start of the game, the game will have a large backlash from Non-MMO gamers who happen to be TES console gamers in general. Many will try and leave after first month for this alone.

Hm, may be the case. But then, with almost every MMO, people have some expectations, which the game never really wanted to fulfill. While this certainly IS a possible issue, it is the cause with all but totally obsucre MMO titles. MMO are never like single player games.

2) Lots of People will get bored of the 6 skill bar system. It will be fun at first for a unique idea, but lots of people been burned out from the TSW/GW2 similar limited action bar concept, and wont find long term interest with it here.

I am 50/50 with this. See, I had played GW2 with the few skills and then SWTOR (again) with the 4 full quickbars. Prsonally, in combat itself I totally prefer the small GW2 skillbar and the actiony combat. I felt the SWTOR many full quickbars made a slow, cumbersome combat, with way too many redundant and pointless skills. But true IS, that I felt a letdown in GW2, because I didn't learn any more skills after level 8 or so. Sure, those few unlocks on the right side, but nothing real. THAT was really a letdown and bad in GW2 and one of the most appalling things in this reduced combat system. I hopw in TESO we learn a lot new and interesting skills later on. I like variety in my skills, and the outlook to learn new stuff later along the path.

3) The World is Level tiered, at the same time, the world is restricted by Factions for PvE as well. That may have been the thing back in DAoC days, but most people wont take this litely, and will get bored of it, being limited to a few zones per character outside of PvE. Thats just not how MMO's work now days with new generation mmo gamers. And with it being tiered by levels, this makes the restrictions stand out even more.

Hm, I am not sure tbh. WOW and DAoC were divided in this way. I hope Zenimax changes the idea insofar like as in WOW even as Ally you *can* wander into Horde regions, but it's dangerous and you don't get any quests. Of course the strict separation sounds a bit dull, yes. It's one of my mayor ciritque points against SWTOR, that you do not SEE the other faction, unlike in WOW, where you actually SEE them. Esp Cataclysm has made the confrontational feeling very good, posting Alliance and Horde camps close by. So you get the feeling to really work against the enemy faction, because you see the other players in their PVE. I was also a fan of the EQ2 idea, that even tho Freeport and Qeynos were enemies, you still could group with them. Yes, total seperation sounds a bit odd, granted.

4) The Aim based combat will be interesting for some, but for most MMO gamers will be a turn off after a while.

That really is very speculative. I can't say one way or the other.

5)Mega Server idea in theory would cover up sub lost after first few months, but the problem is it separates the population still. This will effect the "Assumption of Population syndrome" and many will see the community getting smaller.

I don't really see that. Actually I like the idea of a Megaserver.
    6) Single Mega Server, but one major PvP zone. Predict queue and stability issues here unless something is being hidden about this feature.

Some valid points of concern. I would add:

- Tamriel REALLY has to be large. VERY large, to really make sense. First, you need three full fledged factions with enough room to explore for a long time. Since Zenimax decided to block out the factions, no exploration with one char in all of Tamriel, so the 3 faction regions must be REALLY big, to suffice. Imagine how many cities Tamriel has, and then land around them. That is really no small task, and I am sort of afraid they make Tamriel too tiny. I haven't seen a really big world since SWG.

- We know little about the questing system. I hope the quests themselves are creative. Cataclysm had added a lot of very diverse quests, and WOW remains a hallmark of interesting quests, yes sue me, but that's what I think. But also, the Dynamic Event idea from Rift and GW2 doesn't seem to be here, and I think the event system is something every new MMO needs. Kinda like a step back not to have any form of that.

-  Absence of any Sandbox systems: That's one of my biggest concerns. No pure Themepark MMO has stood the test of time in the last 5 years. Maybe with the exception of LOTRO, which quite met their own expectation. In any other MMO people left much faster than the developers were thinking, because people can always burn much, much faster through any premade content that devs think. And the quota of "casual" players who play 1-3 hours every few days is IMVPO microscopic - much unlike devs THINK, who seem to think these super-casuals make a large part of MMOs. Even GW2 and SWTOR with their massive amount of content were "seen it all" in 2 months or so. And THEN WHAT? I stand firm that any long term success MMO NEEDS sandbox content additionally to the themepark core.

I am still positive, if I accept the game for what it is and what it can be. Tamriel has a great lore and an ongoing single player series, so still I think it could be a great success, if we don't expect WOW II, but something "normal" as success. But even if I play all through in 3 months or so, and those 3 months were good, I won't complain about that.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

2) Lots of People will get bored of the 6 skill bar system. It will be fun at first for a unique idea, but lots of people been burned out from the TSW/GW2 similar limited action bar concept, and wont find long term interest with it here.

3) The World is Level tiered, at the same time, the world is restricted by Factions for PvE as well. That may have been the thing back in DAoC days, but most people wont take this litely, and will get bored of it, being limited to a few zones per character outside of PvE. Thats just not how MMO's work now days with new generation mmo gamers. And with it being tiered by levels, this makes the restrictions stand out even more.

4) The Aim based combat will be interesting for some, but for most MMO gamers will be a turn off after a while.

5)Mega Server idea in theory would cover up sub lost after first few months, but the problem is it separates the population still. This will effect the "Assumption of Population syndrome" and many will see the community getting smaller.

6) Single Mega Server, but one major PvP zone. Predict queue and stability issues here unless something is being hidden about this feature.

+1

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    so,  some people will like it and some won't.  sounds like every game.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

You cant really compare this with GW2, since GW2 has traditional tab-target combat so it can get boring with a limited pre-determined selection of skills per weapon. TESO has supposedly aim based combat which makes the combat alone more involving even if you had only a basic sword swing and blocking, but you also have a set of special skills on top of that.

Also, what the heck is a "MMO gamer" anyway? I'm an "MMO gamer" since I play them mostly when ever there is something worth playing and I look forward mostly to MMO's, but I also play FPS games, traditional RPG's, even racing games sometimes, and I wholeheartedly welcome more gameplay mechanics to MMO's besides the tired old tab-target combat. I dont hate it, but I'd like to see more variation after all these years. WoW that way--------->

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I don't think the limited skill bar design itself is the problem. GW2 lacked the abilities make it work. The thing with the TESO system is that it has an analogish type attack/defense system and that the skill bar is not your primary means of attack.

You will be attavking with a sword, axe, staff etc. while complementing with skill bar abilities. If done right it could be awesome. I don't think we will know until we play it and see how smooth is.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    I think the game will do fine so long as they keep and put everything they are hyping into the game too many damn mmos hype their games too much and then they fail to meet that hype then they fail but like the devs said its a game that will draw in mmo players and elder scroll players and of course lots of people wont like it and leave they are not aiming to draw in the millions of subs that they also stated from what ive seen from the last dev cast its looking great so it will work one way if you dont like elder scrolls and are expecting anything more than a elder scroll game gtho and dont stary crying find a game you like stick with it.
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    also remember they are focused on the exploration aspect more so you will be rewarded more on exploration and even get drawn off track just like all the scroll games lol
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah the exploration aspect should be fine, as both tes and daoc are strong at that.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    [mod edit]

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

There are already multiple threads in this forum discussing aspects of the game. This thread, with the inflammatory title, and the way things are set up  - where either people agree with you or if not, you've put them in defensive mode from the start.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.