Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 ' s Sales

Comments

• RazzmatazzzRazzmatazzz Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Orange_Z

Hi Guys ! 

Recently NcSoft published a very interesting information about global sales for 3Q 2012. 

Here we can see that GW2 topped even the Blade and Soul ! If you dont know They sold 5million copies of BnS and the game is more popular in Korea, than WoW. 

Then we can look at European Charts, where GW2 is 3d in "PC games". For example, World of WarCraft is just 6th. 

So, really, guys, I want to say that GW2 is the most popular game of 2012 and sold more than 5million copies. What do you think about it ?)

Here's official information http://bns.plaync.com/letter/article/2395978

If they only made 45 million dollars on 5 million sales, they have the worst deal with the wholesalers/retailers in the history of worst deals.

15 to 20 dollars per box is pretty standard in the industry. I myself work in the industry and can tell you that first hand.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Make all the sales they want but most people stopped playing or are starting to quit.  At the end of the day it has no retention value and that is what makes an mmo successful.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127

Hi Guys ! 

Recently NcSoft published a very interesting information about global sales for 3Q 2012. 

Here we can see that GW2 topped even the Blade and Soul ! If you dont know They sold 5million copies of BnS and the game is more popular in Korea, than WoW. 

Then we can look at European Charts, where GW2 is 3d in "PC games". For example, World of WarCraft is just 6th. 

So, really, guys, I want to say that GW2 is the most popular game of 2012 and sold more than 5million copies. What do you think about it ?)

I think 2 things. When I played the PVP was extremely beyond lackluster and in /map (I believe?) never saw a single chat in the last 5 days of playing. Also, when I did decide to PVP people flying and running like god-speed just put me off. Plus all we are doing is looking at the people who ANET convinved to buy a box or sale. In game certainly does not reflect these numbers.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I think OP cannot read the chart.

This is old news and discussed already.

GW2 sales are 45.841M KRW. 1 KRW = 0.000920048 USD

About 42M USD, which makes 700k units of GW2 at 60USD per unit.

This isn't really true either as the publisher/developer never gets 100% of the sale.  They aren't reporting the amount of money the game has earned like you see for movies and box office reports.  They are reporting their cut of the sales.   I remember when AOC launched funcome came out and said they only received about 20$ of the full box price.  I don't know if this has increased or decreased over time though.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Razzmatazzz
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Hi Guys ! 

If they only made 45 million dollars on 5 million sales, they have the worst deal with the wholesalers/retailers in the history of worst deals.

15 to 20 dollars per box is pretty standard in the industry. I myself work in the industry and can tell you that first hand.

That seems reasonable, and if they had really sold 5 million copies like the OP claimed they would have earned 75-100 million instead of 45 million.  Which is why I made the comment I made.

• RazzmatazzzRazzmatazzz Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Make all the sales they want but most people stopped playing or are starting to quit.  At the end of the day it has no retention value and that is what makes an mmo successful.

Pretty stupid statement! Sorry for the harsh words but first of all GW2 doesnt rely on a monthly revenue through subscription. Second, if u look at their current server status u can see that US and EU servers are quite full. Third, the p2p modell gives people the oportuntiy to com back when there is content they are interested in. 

The last holiday weekend is a perfect example. Server Population spiked that weekend and i am also sure that the ingame store revenue did so too.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Pretty stupid statement! Sorry for the harsh words but first of all GW2 doesnt rely on a monthly revenue through subscription. Second, if u look at their current server status u can see that US and EU servers are quite full. Third, the p2p modell gives people the oportuntiy to com back when there is content they are interested in. 

The last holiday weekend is a perfect example. Server Population spiked that weekend and i am also sure that the ingame store revenue did so too.

Those server statuses are so false I can't believe you think they are acurate.  Hard to make sales when no one plays the game barely. Everyone on my server left so even if there is a couple populated servers that doesn't make the game successful.  We will see in 6 months when they do server merges.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

over 2 months later

GW2 is still in top 10 for Amazon  (twice today)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011

Best Sellers in PC-compatible Games   11/10/2012

1. Prototype Pack [Download]
    2. The Harry Batman Pack [Download]
    3. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (With Amazon Instant Video Credit)
    4. Guild Wars 2
    5. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    6. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes [Download]
    7. Raptr [Download]  List Price: $0.01
    8. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 [Download]
    9. Football Manager 2013 [Download]
    10.Guild Wars 2 [Download]

the buddy keys offered next week should bring more sales

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Those server statuses are so false I can't believe you think they are acurate.  Hard to make sales when no one plays the game barely. Everyone on my server left so even if there is a couple populated servers that doesn't make the game successful.  We will see in 6 months when they do server merges.

No one really.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

No one really.

But he's playing on an imaginary server in his head. 

• LurkersLurkers Member Posts: 20
    not impressed at all i give it half a year before servers start empting out some.
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    This is such a worthless thread. Speculation of sales based on numbers no one seems to know or understand.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by MaxJac
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    And yet GW2 is about to drop below D3 in xfire rankings (the only way to accurately measure the success of an MMO). 

Oh god (Facepalm) ! Really, your xFire is just nothing. Not everyone has its client (me, for example) so it doesnt show popularity of the game, it shows just popularity among xFire's players. But sales is the only one right way to see right numbers and make right readouts

Sarcasm isn't that hard to see on the internet.

I suspect that people who don't get sarcasm on the internet are usually the same people who don't get sarcasm IRL, either..

Ummm.....no. 

He could have been being sarcastic.  He could not have.   Half the way we communicate as people are with body language, and tone of voice.  Everything from facial expression, movement of hands, and even posture.  You read that "other" language WAY more than you think you do.  Be self concious of it, and you'll realize how major of a factor in communication it is. 

Sarcasm on the net is often nearly impossible to recognize is a good deal of cases.  And you are assuming he was being sarcastic.  When in fact he very well may not have been.  I didn't take it as a sarcastic statement myself.  Without the communication of tone or bodily expression you have to make sure your point comes across sarcastically. 

" GW2 sure is failing.  Too bad! "  (sarcasm failure)

" GW2 sure is dropping out the bottom!   Too bad Anet!  So sad!  Now Im going to go play it some more! (sarcasm success)

If someone doesn't get your sarcasm on the net, that's probably your fault.  Not theirs in most cases. 

For years I have mused about the prospect of a sarcasm font. Now that would be awesome.

/thread hijack off

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    xfire rankings (the only way to accurately measure the success of an MMO). 

/facepalm

People say things like this purely to start fights, right?

Oh look, we're off and running on a brand new "my game sold more neener" "did not" "did so" "did not"

Must be Saturday.

One of the few things said in this thread that can actually be verified.

• bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I rated GW2 by the only rating system that matters (to me) .  I like the game and so do the people that I play it with.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

The servers still have quite a few players but I can notice a decrease slowly but surely, zones are clearing out.

Its to be expected.

The servers don't always say High anymore and if you say they do you are lying, peak hours 4-5 servers will say High/Full.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by Coman
    Originally posted by moguy2

The world will now be able to sleep at night due to all this useful information that we have learned and have shared with our fellow mmorpgbbq people.

Silly people are just silly.

Yes MMO information on an MMO related website. How silly can poeple be :/

Sorry Coman. I used the word " USEFUL". You might have missed that =)

Originally posted by Connmacart
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

No one really.

But he's playing on an imaginary server in his head. 

Okay, here's an experiment for you @Betaguy, if you own the game as you say you do go log in & count the number of full servers.  My current count (as of 5 minutes ago) is 16 servers out of 24 are full

I'm not saying that makes it the most popular game ever or that it will live forever,  but it does beg the question: what game are you playing?

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    And yet GW2 is about to drop below D3 in xfire rankings (the only way to accurately measure the success of an MMO). 

LOL I have to laugh when someone quotes X-fire like this .I get the feeling most times they do it tounge in cheek .

Originally posted by roo67

LOL I have to laugh when someone quotes X-fire like this .I get the feeling most times they do it tounge in cheek .

I think this is one of those times

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

LoL at people thinking it means 5 million copies sold

B&S sold 5 million in korea which makes up 20% of the prophet for the 3rd qtr, gw2 sales makes up 27% of the prophet but theyre sold in the west, the price for games in korea are alot less than they are in the west, so these numbers dont really tell us anything about how many copies gw2 sold

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by deakon

LoL at people thinking it means 5 million copies sold B&S sold 5 million in korea which makes up 20% of the prophet for the 3rd qtr, gw2 sales makes up 27% of the prophet but theyre sold in the west, the price for games in korea are alot less than they are in the west, so these numbers dont really tell us anything about how many copies gw2 sold

Yeah it just shows the desperate lenght some of these fans will go to trying to convince us that GW2 is the bestest.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

/facepalm

Oh look, we're off and running on a brand new "my game sold more neener" "did not" "did so" "did not"

Must be Saturday.

Impossible. Xfires saturday data is not out. And xfire is the only available reliable data we have to determine time, because I say so. I've always claimed I wa proven right about my claims in the past, even though I just made this up,  so now it  must be certainly undisputeable fact already.

Its still Friday.

No, What i was saying was the fact that today is Saturday is one of the few facts from this thread that can be verified.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by Banquetto

How did they manage to make so little money from Blade & Soul?

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), it has no upfront fee but a 23,000 KRW monthly sub.

32,662m KRW = approx. 1.4 million player/months at 23,000 KRW per month.

Over 1 million subs / month is small?  Remember Korea has "only" 50 million people.

Well to nip a little at Blade and Soul, it did sell to both Korea AND China so it had 2 markets, though at the same time we can also point out Gw2 also had a far larger potential customer base as it is sold to a larger amount of countries then Blade and Soul currently has. 

No it did not release in China yet.  It had closed beta, not yet released afaik.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

/facepalm

Must be Saturday.

Impossible. Xfires saturday data is not out. And xfire is the only available reliable data we have to determine time, because I say so. I've always claimed I wa proven right about my claims in the past, even though I just made this up,  so now it  must be certainly undisputeable fact already.

Its still Friday.

No, What i was saying was the fact that today is Saturday is one of the few facts from this thread that can be verified.

whoosh

This discussion has been closed.