Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOExposed's Prediction/Speculation on what will go wrong with TESO

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

1) Well off from the start of the game, the game will have a large backlash from Non-MMO gamers who happen to be TES console gamers in general. Many will try and leave after first month for this alone.

2) Lots of People will get bored of the 6 skill bar system. It will be fun at first for a unique idea, but lots of people been burned out from the TSW/GW2 similar limited action bar concept, and wont find long term interest with it here.

3) The World is Level tiered, at the same time, the world is restricted by Factions for PvE as well. That may have been the thing back in DAoC days, but most people wont take this litely, and will get bored of it, being limited to a few zones per character outside of PvE. Thats just not how MMO's work now days with new generation mmo gamers. And with it being tiered by levels, this makes the restrictions stand out even more.

4) The Aim based combat will be interesting for some, but for most MMO gamers will be a turn off after a while.

5)Mega Server idea in theory would cover up sub lost after first few months, but the problem is it separates the population still. This will effect the "Assumption of Population syndrome" and many will see the community getting smaller.

6) Single Mega Server, but one major PvP zone. Predict queue and stability issues here unless something is being hidden about this feature.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

1) Well off from the start of the game, the game will have a large backlash from Non-MMO gamers who happen to be TES console gamers in general. Many will try and leave after first month for this alone.

2) Lots of People will get bored of the 6 skill bar system. It will be fun at first for a unique idea, but lots of people been burned out from the TSW/GW2 similar limited action bar concept, and wont find long term interest with it here.

3) The World is Level tiered, at the same time, the world is restricted by Factions for PvE as well. That may have been the thing back in DAoC days, but most people wont take this litely, and will get bored of it, being limited to a few zones per character outside of PvE. Thats just not how MMO's work now days with new generation mmo gamers. And with it being tiered by levels, this makes the restrictions stand out even more.

4) The Aim based combat will be interesting for some, but for most MMO gamers will be a turn off after a while.

5)Mega Server idea in theory would cover up sub lost after first few months, but the problem is it separates the population still. This will effect the "Assumption of Population syndrome" and many will see the community getting smaller.

6) Single Mega Server, but one major PvP zone. Predict queue and stability issues here unless something is being hidden about this feature.

I won't try to fault any of your opinions but they are in fact just opinions.  it's obvious like GW2, you don't like this game so why continue to post about it.  I mean responding to threads is one thing but to make threads is another.  Now I ain't trying to get you banned or anything but seriously why not find an MMO that appeals to you and post in those forums?

Edit:  I will agree with you on the mega server techonology, I don't know enough about it but I still don't like it.  Doesn't mean I don't like some of the other concepts about the game however.  Besides not every MMO we've ever played is perfect.  My favorite all time MMO, Asherons Call, has some serious flaws I took offense too but the overall good of the game outweighed any of the negatives.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    OP is pretty much dead on.
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

I won't try to fault any of your opinions but they are in fact just opinions.  it's obvious like GW2, you don't like this game so why continue to post about it.  I mean responding to threads is one thing but to make threads is another.  Now I ain't trying to get you banned or anything but seriously why not find an MMO that appeals to you and post in those forums?

Edit:  I will agree with you on the mega server techonology, I don't know enough about it but I still don't like it.  Doesn't mean I don't like some of the other concepts about the game however.  Besides not every MMO we've ever played is perfect.  My favorite all time MMO, Asherons Call, has some serious flaws I took offense too but the overall good of the game outweighed any of the negatives.

[mod edit]

What does me posting I am semi quitting GW2 have to do with what I asked? if you don't like TESO why make posts about it, again I implore you to re-read what I wrote.  I am not arguing against any of your opinions, in fact I agreed with one of them!  Now if you like the game and are trying to get questions answered or things you dont like about it changed then thats a different proposition and it is best not done on a forumn where none of the developers will actually see.  Go to the official forums and spark discussion to advocate change.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

Disclaimer: the below is all IMHO and is personal preference. As any personal taste, is not subject to discussion and as long as there is free speech on the internet, I am entitled to my opinion and so are you. Feel free to comment providing either solid evidence for your counter argument or state it's your own subjective opinion without flaming. kthxbye.

1) well what a surprise: non-mmo gamers leaving an mmo game. And many will try and leave after this month. SO?

2) I've been burned by everything but the skillbar in TSW/GW2. My long term interest is in many skills to pick to fit a small action bar, not millions of bars (which is one of the things I loved in GW1, for example).

3) I couldn't care less about what new generation of mmo gamers want. There are also other generations so if the market adapts and offers something for "us old 30+ folks who happen to be THE ONES WITH THE MONEY TO SPEND long term" is good. I want a game I can be happy to throw money at.

4) Please provide metrics for your "most mmo gamers". Me, I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than playing tab target again (been doing that long before vanilla WoW up to last year, so everything that is not aim based doesn't interest me anymore).

5) so it's not ok to even say a word about gw2 queues without being flamed to death, but it's ok to speculate on queues in a game that is not even in beta (or alpha for what I know) ?  The only official statement (that could be bogus or not) is in the official video: our character models are designed so we can have hundreds of them on screen at once. (the same cannot be said for gw2, where you fight invisible people throwing at you invisible aoes even with latest hw available on market an 50MBit fibre connection). Man... at least wait for a beta before starting a crusade against a hype that doesn't even exist?

Peace :)
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

2. and 4. - WoW is that way ->

Have fun.

Other than that, yeah TESO is going to fail.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

1 - Could go either way. Depends on how much the game deviates from TES games. I don't think they need to win general MMO players, at the moment people seem to play anything, shit or not. TES players though will have certain expectations and if they are not met then it will be a problem.

2 - Depends how it is done. I mean in Skyrim for example you can only have 2 actions at a time. You choose from Melee attack, block  or magic how you want to set-up but you can only really do 2 at a time. So it won't be that different. It will all be in the implementation. The way GW2 does it I don't find a good way. The way TSW does it I think is great.

3 - This is my biggest gripe about the current information. The terms 'freedom' and 'be whatever you want to be' are thrown away when I am FORCED to choose a side at creation and depending on the FORCED choice am restricted in where I can go in the world. I know they are doing it 100% to make the PvP work but I don't like the fact they are fucking up the rest of the game just to have PvP work. If they allowed us to CHOOSE a faction when and IF we want to that would be better imo.

4 - Well the WOW way of combat that lots of recent MMO's have tried to move away from is really dated and REALY boring. Active combat is the way forward, like it or not.

5 - It has good points and bad points and again depends on implementation. I like the idea that I could select ' Mature - Roleplayers - PVP' and get likeminded players but I agree it does seperate the playerbase. Will see how it goes I guess.

6 - Not enough info here to really have an opinion. I have no problem with queues and instancing in general but only if it is done because there is no other way. I am not sure that is the case over just not wanting to take the time and effort to find a solution. Time will tell.

Originally posted by samvenice

5) so it's not ok to even say a word about gw2 queues without being flamed to death, but it's ok to speculate on queues in a game that is not even in beta (or alpha for what I know) ?  The only official statement (that could be bogus or not) is in the official video: our character models are designed so we can have hundreds of them on screen at once. (the same cannot be said for gw2, where you fight invisible people throwing at you invisible aoes even with latest hw available on market an 50MBit fibre connection). Man... at least wait for a beta before starting a crusade against a hype that doesn't even exist?

Exactly!

If anything TESO ahs way more anti hype then any game in modern memory.  IMO bashing a game that has been so poorly received is like stealing the ice cream from an 8 year old and eating it in front of his face all the while gloating how good it is.

Originally posted by Maelwydd

1 - Could go either way. Depends on how much the game deviates from TES games. I don't think they need to win general MMO players, at the moment people seem to play anything, shit or not. TES players though will have certain expectations and if they are not met then it will be a problem.

2 - Depends how it is done. I mean in Skyrim for example you can only have 2 actions at a time. You choose from Melee attack, block  or magic how you want to set-up but you can only really do 2 at a time. So it won't be that different. It will all be in the implementation. The way GW2 does it I don't find a good way. The way TSW does it I think is great.

3 - This is my biggest gripe about the current information. The terms 'freedom' and 'be whatever you want to be' are thrown away when I am FORCED to choose a side at creation and depending on the FORCED choice am restricted in where I can go in the world. I know they are doing it 100% to make the PvP work but I don't like the fact they are fucking up the rest of the game just to have PvP work. If they allowed us to CHOOSE a faction when and IF we want to that would be better imo.

4 - Well the WOW way of combat that lots of recent MMO's have tried to move away from is really dated and REALY boring. Active combat is the way forward, like it or not.

5 - It has good points and bad points and again depends on implementation. I like the idea that I could select ' Mature - Roleplayers - PVP' and get likeminded players but I agree it does seperate the playerbase. Will see how it goes I guess.

6 - Not enough info here to really have an opinion. I have no problem with queues and instancing in general but only if it is done because there is no other way. I am not sure that is the case over just not wanting to take the time and effort to find a solution. Time will tell.

Replying to the red highlighted section:

Why is it so hard to suspend belief, if your in it for the PvE aspects at least, to consider each faction its own game.  Much in the sae way when Skyrim released last year I was unable to go back to Oblivian.  If you look at it from this point of view its easy to forget you are relegated to a specific location.  On the Bright Side say you play on playing the Ebonhart pact you get to play in Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.  Which is 2 more locations you are able to play then any of the single player games.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I saw a preview of the game last night, it has peaked my interest.   I also think a lot can go wrong, but after the success of Skyrim everybody is more or less aware of the IP and the lore. From what I saw it seemed to tick all the boxes for an MMO as far as I am concerned.   They seem focussed on what matters and they state there is new technology behind the Mega Server.  If that is the case, the game has serious potential. 
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Why is it so hard to suspend belief, if your in it for the PvE aspects at least, to consider each faction its own game.  Much in the sae way when Skyrim released last year I was unable to go back to Oblivian.  If you look at it from this point of view its easy to forget you are relegated to a specific location.  On the Bright Side say you play on playing the Ebonhart pact you get to play in Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.  Which is 2 more locations you are able to play then any of the single player games.

My main gripe is not that I can't go to these places but that I am FORCED to choose a side simply by race. Why can I not play a Breton who wants to fight for the Ebonheart? Why can I not choose to simply be a trader, as you could in any of the TES games, and travel the lands? If I were to choose to be a weaponsmith would I not want to sell my goods to the highest bidder? How about if I was a healer, would I not want to heal anyone who was hurt and so would I not want to stay away from chosing a side?

The fact that at character creation you are restricted from being able to visit 60% of the world for a system mechanic just sucks and really makes no logical sense other then just a mechanic the game employs to make their PvP work.

If the war and PvP are not important to the character you are creating then sorry, you are shit out of luck. The game FORCES you to choose a side in the war and the only reason is because that is how the PvP is designed.

FORCED gameplay is not open world or freedom.

Originally posted by fallenlords
    I saw a preview of the game last night, it has peaked my interest.   I also think a lot can go wrong, but after the success of Skyrim everybody is more or less aware of the IP and the lore. From what I saw it seemed to tick all the boxes for an MMO as far as I am concerned.   They seem focussed on what matters and they state there is new technology behind the Mega Server.  If that is the case, the game has serious potential. 

It defenitly has potential but thats not always a good thing.  It has the potential to fail really hard in my opinion based on to much instancing, phasing, mega server and lack of clear endgame.  If endgame consists of RvR in Cyrodiil and raid structures it is leaving a very large segment of the playerbase alienated like me.  So far I very apprehensive based on these features known and the longevity will be my biggest hurdle.  TESO could very well be next in line in a long line of 3 monther's, and that is not a good thing.

My main gripe is not that I can't go to these places but that I am FORCED to choose a side simply by race. Why can I not play a Breton who wants to fight for the Ebonheart? Why can I not choose to simply be a trader, as you could in any of the TES games, and travel the lands? If I were to choose to be a weaponsmith would I not want to sell my goods to the highest bidder? How about if I was a healer, would I not want to heal anyone who was hurt and so would I not want to stay away from chosing a side?

The fact that at character creation you are restricted from being able to visit 60% of the world for a system mechanic just sucks and really makes no logical sense other then just a mechanic the game employs to make their PvP work.

If the war and PvP are not important to the character you are creating then sorry, you are shit out of luck. The game FORCES you to choose a side in the war and the only reason is because that is how the PvP is designed.

Well its more like 66% of the PvE world but I get your meaning.  As I stated if you go in with the mindset that you are choosing to play 1 side you get the bonus of having 2 additional lands to explore.  I know it doesnt sound like it, but it really does come down to choices: You either get to play the zone(s) you want or the race you want.  If you wanted to play an Orc in Skyrim then I can see your point.  But if you really wanted to play a Nord in Skyrim, I can do that plus also get to play in Morrowind and Black Marsh.

My only advice is to petition and clamor for alternate rule set servers (don't know if its possible in the Mega Shard tech which is another reason why I dont like it).

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

I have to agree with you on this, why they didn't just go with one seamless open world is beyond me. I think the PVP system put an end to the open world. To be fare though, when you play a TES game you are locked into one area but this is an MMO.

As an avid RP who love MMOs i would of like the whole world open to me from birth not having to make atls. Still looking forward to the game though, it will keep me busy until my journey back home to EQNEXT.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Why did the pvp system put an end to a seamless open world?

Daoc and planetside have the same pvp system. They both feature ZERO instancing whatsoever.

I think the personal story / phasing thing is more the culprit there.
    That said I think they should have 3 imperial houses you choose to join, much like the 3 houses in Morrowind.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

1. Non mmo gamers wont like an mmo?....shocker

2. Wont happen as its completely different to gw2, in gw2 once you hit level 40 there is no progression, that wont be the case with teso because every ability levels up and most your attacks arent locked to your weapon, and even the light/heavy weapon based attacks can be leveled up and replaced

3. As long as each faction has a large map people wont get bored and if they do get bored they can always roll an alt on another faction, ever considered that a lack of faction pride is what has hurt world pvp in these so called modern mmo's?

4. You speak for most mmo gamers do you? Are most mmo gamers a different race to everyone else because my guess is most mmo gamers are just gamers that play a lot of different types of games, including ones where you have to aim, and judging by the reaction teso had when mmo gamers thought is was tab based and not aim based, making it aim based should be a good thing

5. you are missunderstanding how the megaserver will work, the options you chose arent so strict that you are always going to play with people that have the same niche as you, you will only play with people with the exact same choices as you when there are enough of them to fill out your "shard", so if the population drops to a point where there are only one shards worth of people they will all be in the same shard not seperated out, thats the whole point of the megaserver

6. No, because we wont all be queuing for the same cyrodil, you get assigned to a camnpaign (as does your guild) you are then locked to that campaign, when that campaign is full, it will create a new campaign etc, so queuing shouldnt be an issue

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I don't see 1-5 really making much of a difference either way. If anything the three factions with three homelands gives the game more replayability as everyone has a reason to roll three toons. Mind you I hate that it's not open world. #6 is the only thing that gives me cause for concern but they seem confident in it so I guess we will see.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

This is just speculation and juding by the latest vid many on the official forum are actually coming round.

But you can actually use every weapon in the game unlike GW2

I have to kind of agree with you here but i don't think it's a game breaker. I would of loved it to be a fully open world but even in TES games you are only in one area of Tamriel and Tamriel is one area of Nirn

Mate this is a plus and what most have been asking for, the more it has in common with SP TES the better. 

I'm going to agree with you here even though the jury is out on this one. I haven't figure out whether it's a mega server for NA and another for EU, i would like to play with europeans.

Time will tell i guess but i will say that certain people in this thread haven't lerned  the lesson of keeping their over the top hype gland in check.

most "normal" gamers hate mmos, nothing to see here

its not like GW2 combat.  left click does attack, hold left power attack, right block / parry / other defence.  basicly like oblivion combat.  you also have a hotbar for situational spells and potion buttons, they have to have a hotbar, you cant pause a mmo like you can tes sp

is the world level tiered?
    they had to pick a pvp system.  Tes single player has no pvp.  They could have gone no pvp or wow style crappy little minigames and lost players, they could have gone ffa pvp and lost more player.  They took a middle ground.  Personally i feel they should have copied daoc more - e.g. 3 different server types - core (like they are using), FFA and coop.  Also copied the other great thing about daoc - zero bloody instancing.

sounds good to me

yeah i dont like the mega server thing either, im sick of instancing and phasing in games.  Wish they had had the cajones to stick to their original open dungeons plan and not then decided to add instanced dungeons, raids and minigame pvp (although i hear the tupperware pvp is coming "latter", hope is much much much bloody latter)

6) Single Mega Server, but one major PvP zone. Predict queue and stability issues here unless something is being hidden about this feature. you sign up to one of many campaigns or something, then have to stick with it. :(

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    It's amazing how much of a game's hype is generated by the critics.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Forgive me if I'm wrong here but concerning your #1 point, when World of Warcraft went live it already had a rather substantial non-MMO following of players due to the RTS franchise, this I would imagine was in part responsible for the games initial huge sales and success, and infact brought such huge numbers of players into the MMO genre.

So with my point in mind wouldn't it actually be beneficial that TESO has a non-MMO following, this should in theory have the same effect as WoW did when it went live.

Your last point I think is very far off the mark and I believe your not understanding what a Mega server actually does, it's like having a pint glass that is never quite full but will never ever go empty, as players leave the server they are replaced to ensure that the server has an optimal number of players, so you will always have the illusion your world is fully populated, what is wrong with this? nothing.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Exactly!

If anything TESO ahs way more anti hype then any game in modern memory.  IMO bashing a game that has been so poorly received is like stealing the ice cream from an 8 year old and eating it in front of his face all the while gloating how good it is.

I guess from your posting history that it is better to only post positive things about the game you "love" and to characterise those who have concerns about it as "bashers" and haters, we all know that covering the flaws of a game with mindless defence is the best way to improve a game.

Originally posted by RefMinor

5) so it's not ok to even say a word about gw2 queues without being flamed to death, but it's ok to speculate on queues in a game that is not even in beta (or alpha for what I know) ?  The only official statement (that could be bogus or not) is in the official video: our character models are designed so we can have hundreds of them on screen at once. (the same cannot be said for gw2, where you fight invisible people throwing at you invisible aoes even with latest hw available on market an 50MBit fibre connection). Man... at least wait for a beta before starting a crusade against a hype that doesn't even exist?   Peace :)

Exactly!

I guess from your posting history that it is better to only post positive things about the game you "love" and to characterise those who have concerns about it as "bashers" and haters, we all know that covering the flaws of a game with mindless defence is the best way to improve a game.

+1

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

This is just speculation and juding by the latest vid many on the official forum are actually coming round.

Thank you master of the obvious.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

Eh, the game doesn't seem to have nearly the hype as The Old Republic or Guild Wars 2. If anything it has anti-fans more or less pleading for people to not take an interest in the game because its a WoW clone, which turned into it plays like Guild Wars 2 and that was boring. Basically assumptions that may or may not be wrong. 

One thing I will say is I prefered games that were 1) For the most part PvE and 2) Don't have locked factions. Example being EverQuest. Sure it had many NPC factions, but nothing stopped you from killing the right things to get others to like you(though some stuff was harder then others, and I think there were some limits) and nothing prevented a Dark Elf, Ogre, Wood Elf, Halfling, etc from grouping. Kinda resent games from creating factions because it limits what I can do with my character.

That all being said, I will look at the game for what it is, a likely source of entertainment for 2 months.(like all mmos are for me besides EQ) and if it lasts me longer? Wonderful.

This discussion has been closed.