Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Main reason why SWTOR flopped?

Comments

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I actually liked the game for what it was, but what got me was that the space was a damn mini game. If they woulda made free roam space, able to board and hijack others ships, have a variety of different ships big and small, fully explorable worlds, endgame that actually was hard, balanced classes, bounty-hunting, jedi acadamy to actually make being a jedi meaningful. Can't think right now of more but those things woulda made it more fun for me.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I play games only if they have the promise of faction conflict. SWTOR had the promise...and not the slightest clue on how to implement it.
  • HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226
    No swimming!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by hyllstarter
    All of the above.

^^^^^^^

this

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Clawzon

The game had an excellent gamedeveloper in BioWare, it had economic power in EA and an outstanding IP in Star Wars!

But along the way something went wrong, very wrong! What?

I chose linearity of the worlds.  The #1 thing that I think kills MMO's is the "on rails" or "bread crumbing" of the player down a path from creation to cap.  It is the worst thing an online persistant game like an MMO could do.  it stiffles creativity and will to explore what a developer made.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

SWTOR was generic... one of the most generic MMos I've seen.

Now... take a careful look at that... generic... with a game that takes place in the future.... involving star wars...

That there alone is one of the biggest factors I feel that drove a stake through the game's heart and really helped to quickly bury it. 

The problem is I'm sure EA was pushing for them to make it viable for the largest audience possible and instead of letting Bioware focus on making it like Kotor and changing it up to be something different from a usual MMo, they instead pushed it to be close to a game like Everquest in order to drive a much larger share of the consumer base to possibly play it. This here only became that much more of a crutch as Bioware itself is bluntly not at all in the business of making online games, particularly MMos. This really made it that much more difficult for them to accomplish just that. It would be like telling a car mechanic to assemble a 747, it wouldn't go over very well.

Even if Bioware did make the game like Kotor, its hard to say how well it would of even transitioned into online. A lot of what it involves would have to be changed up to work in online mode. Quests likely would be the same system (which isn't to bad but no where near the single player experience) and in ways more complex as light and darkside choices would need impact on just where your directed. Sides of good and evil would be far harder to paint. Classes would need to be done in a different style closer to Kotor to work. Over-all it would be a rather difficult thing to balance. It would likely work a lot better but it would be tricky to balance it in just the right way that it keeps Kotor plaeyrs happy and lets new players in as well, making it all work in an Online environment where everyone plays together following potentially different story choices.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Honestly, I cannot choose just one answer from the list. But I guess the linear story was the worst for me. I had zero motivation to work on alts. And since the end game was rather ugly, I didn't want to work on my main much either.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    You need an "All the Above" option.
  • kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    Btw, the game was nothing else but a "money scam" from its very beginnings.
  • AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114

it was too easy, and way to fast to lvl.

no real depth, but still good story was it's only saving grace.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i voted other.  people had way too high of expectations for this.  they set an impossible goal for the game to reach.  bioware set out to make a star wars skin of wow and that is what they did.  people let their imagination and addiction get the better of them.  and when the game didnt meet the unrealistic bar that was set,  a lot of people lashed out. 
  • ProblemProblem Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by kb056
    Btw, the game was nothing else but a "money scam" from its very beginnings.
    Explain that crap to everyone please.

Citizen: Preach your filth elsewhere!

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Linear Worlds
    Bad Endgame

The only catch was the good parts of the story sunken into many barely generic parts.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    swtor has excellent chance to resurrect the game while going f2p .but this is their last chance .i hope they will avail it . will play the game free for one month and if i like it i will by the sub
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Other:

Failure of developers to listen to Beta testers.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    It all comes down to bad management and arrogance. They knew how to make a single player game. They didn't know how to make an mmo, so they made a single player game and copied ideas from Wow. Then they refused to listen to negative feedback. They knew best. Their idea and design couldn't fall.

This. Also they had the bad idea of having most beta testers being from their family and friends which are not really going to give you the best feedback.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Massive, unreachable expectations were probably the biggest culprit, but the sterile gameworld, gamebreaking bugs/balance issues, and lack of content didn't help matters.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

It failed because you had Developers without the understanding, that Single Player RPGs arent the same design concept of MMO-RPGs.

the Culture is different. WHat made Bioware's Singleplayer RPG so popular, isnt looked at as popular in MMO.

I pointed this out a long time ago before getting banned.

Story Focused may be the big thing in singleplayer console games, but in the MMO genre of RPGs, most people SKIP STORY. Gameplay > Story in MMO genre. Thats where the MMO stood out from its console counterparts in the first place.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I chose linear.. but "all of the above" would of been a better choice.. lol

The game plays like an Xbox rpg game.. It just doesn't feel like an alive world..

• zefalconzefalcon Member Posts: 11

pvp was and is crap, illum was a farm fest, and the instanced pvp was and is garbage.

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Clawzon

The game had an excellent gamedeveloper in BioWare, it had economic power in EA and an outstanding IP in Star Wars!But along the way something went wrong, very wrong! What?    

They rushed it, the game was not polished enough

If they had released 1.2 instead of 1.0 things would have been different

I still play though, and enjoy the game alot
  • FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    I'm going to say it had to do with every single activity being combat oriented for me.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    maybe there's been too much advertising/too much hype?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ElendengelElendengel Member UncommonPosts: 11

Just need to get my two cents in.

This game, despite its many flaws is amazing, for a single player game.  Great world, great graphics, great storylines and a lot of play time.  Took me a month to complete the Bounty Hunter storyline.  I quit after a few months because I did not want to pay $15 a month for what was basically a single player game.  I had already payed the box price, that should have been it.

What they are doing with f2p I think addresses this, but we will see.  Probably one of the best f2p conversions wasLotRO and I would like to see similar system (minus of course the p2w stuff LotRO has added since f2p launch).  $5 price point for opening the middle tier on SWTOR I think is a bit low, but maybe is a reflection of how bad they are doing financially with the game?

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    It wasn't SWG.