Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Relative Class Strength in sPvP

Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Just come up with a list from friends of mine who have been playing long enough to have a strong opinion about the classes they play, and play against in PvP (including me).

I thought I would see if the population at large agreed with our assessment of relative PvP strength of each class (specifically sPvP here - we weren't as sure about WvW zerging where some classes rose up considerably like Ele. and Necro.).

Our list is (in order of strongest at the top);

1. Mesmer

2. Guardian

3. Thief

4. Warrior

5. Ranger

6. Necro

7. Elementalist

8. Engineer

Please bear in mind that towards the bottom of the list we thought there was very little difference - in fact at 5 and downwards things were VERY tight, but we had no doubts about the top 4 at all.

Thanks for taking part - I would have made this a poll, but it doesn't seem to have a ranking functionality I am aware of.

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Just come up with a list from friends of mine who have been playing long enough to have a strong opinion about the classes they play, and play against in PvP (including me).

I thought I would see if the population at large agreed with our assessment of relative PvP strength of each class (specifically sPvP here - we weren't as sure about WvW zerging where some classes rose up considerably like Ele. and Necro.).

1. Mesmer

2. Guardian

3. Thief

4. Warrior

5. Ranger

6. Necro

7. Elementalist

8. Engineer

Please bear in mind that towards the bottom of the list we thought there was very little difference - in fact at 5 and downwards things were VERY tight, but we had no doubts about the top 4 at all.

Thanks for taking part - I would have made this a poll, but it doesn't seem to have a ranking functionality I am aware of.

My list in terms of what professions are most valuable to their team in a 5v5 SPvP format:

1. Guardian

2. Mesmer

3. Engineer

4. Necro

5. Elementalist

6. Thief

7. Warrior

8. Ranger

The way I view it is like this: if team A has a guardian on their team and team B doesn't, team A will have a significantly higher chance of winning.

However, this assumes players are specced into their most effective roles and skills: Guardian as a strong bunker/utility build, Mesmer with portal, ect.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Mostly depends on player affinity...   All classes are uber in the hands of the right player.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

1. Mesmer

2. Guardian

3. Thief

4. Warrior

5. Ranger

6. Necro

7. Elementalist

8. Engineer

looks like your team doesn't know much about pvp. at least when it comes to tpvp. nobody cares about 8v8 (which your list obviously is about).

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Mostly depends on player affinity...   All classes are uber in the hands of the right player.

Ahhh.eeeehhhh...hmmmm...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I don't know buddy.  I mean every class CAN be used.  Every class IS effective.  But eventually you get into what roles need to be filled in each team.  Then you get into what profession fulfills those roles best.  Then you start seeing what class falls off.

But Lord.Bachus, I think you are right in assuming each class can still be effective, because that is definitely true.  Anet did a good job on this and will hopefully improve on this in the future.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

edited for clarity.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Buttski

1. Mesmer

2. Guardian

3. Thief

4. Warrior

5. Ranger

6. Necro

7. Elementalist

8. Engineer

looks like your team doesn't know much about pvp. at least when it comes to tpvp. nobody cares about 8v8 (which your list obviously is about).

If you dont care about 8vs8 that does not mean that other people cant enjoy it..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Buttski

1. Mesmer

2. Guardian

3. Thief

4. Warrior

5. Ranger

6. Necro

7. Elementalist

8. Engineer

If you dont care about 8vs8 that does not mean that other people cant enjoy it..

you can enjoy it as much as you like but such tierlists are useless if you don't consider the the competetive pvp part.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

1. Mesmer

2. Guardian

3. Thief

4. Warrior

5. Ranger

6. Necro

7. Elementalist

8. Engineer

Just checking the OP list.

1. Guardian (very hard to kill and quite deadly)

2. Mesmer (hard to kill and very deadly)

3. Thief (spike damage and pretty easy to play and still be very lethal, stealth when out of initiative)

4. Ranger (pretty easy to be deadly with)

5. Engineer (harder to play, but can be a tough customer)

6. Warrior (not too bad)

7. Necromancer (Hmmm)

8. Elementalist (stack on toughness or you're squishy as hell and avoid the stronger classes regardless)

I don't think all classes are über in the right hands. Maybe good players avoid the weaker classes, but I have yet to meet a player on an Elementalist that can pwn a good Guardian or Mesmer.

imageimage