Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

#1 EU player calls TPvP leaderboards 'a bad joke'

TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Anet recently added a leaderboard for Qualifying Points, something to appease the pvp community that has been barking for some kind of ranking and elo system. 

Ace of Spades, currently the number 1 EU player on the leaderboards voiced his concerns:

"Sry for my poor English, I’m rank1 on the EU, and i think that they should’ve not made this ladder, it’s a bad joke, as you can see only few teams are playing PT, casual teams have almost 0 chances to win.

The QP’s ladder shows that Anet made a poor decision… i knew from BWE2 that the tournament system was a bad idea, the concept behind it it’s bad, and you can’t do much about it.

They wanted to be different for the sake of being different, and that’s bad. I know that it’s easy to complain, so now i’m gonna explain how they could’ve done better, with less effort.

3 Queues:

a) hot join, 5v5, unranked
b) soloQ, ranked
c) premadeQ, ranked

2 ladders:

a) soloQ ladder, reset once a year
b) premadeQ ladder, reset every 1-2 month/s

1 tournament:

a) A monthly tournament, where the top X teams of the premade ladder are invited to play.

This tournament system was a kitten nightmare, so many bugs, so much time spent coding for nothing, so much effort for have a bad format. They wanted to be different, and they just ended up doing something overly complicated.

If they were coding a simple elo system and not tournaments, we would be playing with ladders, private servers and ratings already."

PT = Paid Tournament, the only way to get Qualifying Points
hot join = Non-Tournament.  Currently in the 8v8 format (which everybody hates). Join by yourself or with friends.  Casual, no ranking or ladder involved.
SoloQ = Solo Queue, aka, queuing by yourself.
premadeQ = Premade Queue, queuing in a group.

Basically what Ace of spades is asking for is for Anet to adopt League of Legends' queuing and ladder system, which is a fantastic idea.  This will keep solo and grouped players, along with casual and hardcore still interested in competing.  Now, only the top players (who are on the top teams) demolish everybody leaving a HUGE gap between the top players and everybody else in regards to gaining Qualifying points.  The current system is unpopular and should be replaced.

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    And for the record, I still am playing and enjoying GW2 - I just think that some aspects of the game need to change.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    SPvP is quiite bad and I don't think it will get better. They should go and improve WvW with some features. It is a much better mode overall.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by QSatu
    SPvP is quiite bad and I don't think it will get better. They should go and improve WvW with some features. It is a much better mode overall.

Seen same statements about GvG, from people who dont have teams to play it... Or are bad at it.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by mazut

Seen same statements about GvG, from people who dont have teams to play it... Or are bad at it.

We just ahve to wait a few months and we will see if GW2 spvp will ever reach the size of gvg in gw1.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

We just ahve to wait a few months and we will see if GW2 spvp will ever reach the size of gvg in gw1.

GvG was never big...

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

GvG was never big...

Lmao, thank you. 

I almost had a spit-take when QSatu said that; even the ArenaNet devs said that GvG wasn't very popular. 

While zergfest are fun at times, they aren't a true test of skill.  Usually they are determined by who has the superior numbers.  Atleast in SPvP (when its 5v5), it takes proper coordination and skill to defeat your opponent.  Fair and balance ftw!
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    While zergfest are fun at times, they aren't a true test of skill.  Usually they are determined by who has the superior numbers.  Atleast in SPvP (when its 5v5), it takes proper coordination and skill to defeat your opponent.  Fair and balance ftw!

The problem is that it's not about "defeating" you opponent. It's a node domination game not a player elimination game. This is where Spvp misses the mark. It's just not thrilling due to being too forgiving. 

A player can make mistake after mistake, die over and over and their team still win. Where as in /Arena you make a mistake you die, and you team loses the match. On top of that you lose points, sometimes a whole days worth... (I broke my head phones that day..)  The consequences make they reward oh so sweet. 

and wtf gives, with not being able to ware the gear that you played hundreds of matches to get outside of the mists? terrible design decision right  there imo, a "bad joke."

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    I really wouldn't mind solo join ranked tournaments. Stick you with 4 other randoms vs another random team.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    And for the record, I still am playing and enjoying GW2 - I just think that some aspects of the game need to change.

Yep I'm the same way. Never said the game was perfect on the pvp side. The only time i report is for weeding out the bad folks who just post nonsense after nonsense posts here all the time but never take the time to go to the forums at Anet and post what they think should change. They do listen to their players. I don't have enough experience to comment on pvp except to say pvp should never be open world notably forcing people into the situation while gathering or leveling gaining the mats necessary to make the standard high grade end game armor sets (non cosmetic) all of these they have done. 

There are always balance issues in every game between classes. I am so glad they decided to separate the code between pvp and pve abilities so that I won't waste weeks trying to figure out the best system of attacks and spec over and over like just after the release of Cataclysm as a hunter. It was a nightmare.

For example i have is the flamethrower's vent smoke system, it doesn't last anywhere near as long as black powder thief ability but both are meant to offer a few seconds of protection from melee attacks via blindness. A must while in combat using a FT kit.

I do hope he posted this to their forums in suggestions because that's where the most attention is at the moment and there are plenty of mods who are listening compiling lists of things people want to see in the game and about people's problems while playing.

Pretty good imo from a non-sub environment.

Originally posted by bcbully

The problem is that it's not about "defeating" you opponent. It's a node domination game not a player elimination game. This is where Spvp misses the mark. It's just not thrilling due to being too forgiving. 

A player can make mistake after mistake, die over and over and their team still win. Where as in /Arena you make a mistake you die, and you team loses the match. On top of that you lose points, sometimes a whole days worth... (I broke my head phones that day..)  The consequences make they reward oh so sweet. 

and wtf gives, with not being able to ware the gear that you played hundreds of matches to get outside of the mists? terrible design decision right  there imo, a "bad joke."

I disagree.  While I do see the point you're making, about WvWvW having more tangible rewards - thus being more thrilling, I still think the rewards are less fulfilling then what top ranked pvpers gain from knowing who is the best of the best in an organized environment.  I know people will hate on this, but world of warcraft's pvp community is a perfect example of this.  Every arena achievement, every gladiator status, and every rank 1 status is not only tracked but praised wholeheartedly.